main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Descent Into The Dark (EU, Yoda 300 years before TPM)--*Complete* Replies 7/31- Link to EotD posted!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Souderwan, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Title: Descent Into The Dark
    Author: Souderwan
    Timeframe: Approximately 300 years before TPM
    Characters: Yoda
    Genre: Character Study, Action, Drama
    Keywords: EU/AU
    Summary: Before Yoda becomes a permanent fixture on the Jedi Council, he is a middle-aged Jedi Master in the prime of his life. Many of the rules that the Jedi live by have not been instituted. Yoda is a free-lance Jedi who visits his home world regularly. He knows about the dark side only from his studies in the Jedi Library and the stories he heard as a young Jedi. This is a story of how Yoda's personal experience with the power of the dark side. It?s a story of loss. It?s a story of redemption. It?s a story about the power of fear.

Note to my previous readers: Thanks for giving my story a try. Things will not move as quickly as Fall Of The Sith
    but I hope you'll stick with me. I do my best to make it a rewarding reading experience.
    Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns all the rights to Star Wars. I don?t. No infringement is intended or profit to be made by me.

-----------------------------A Life Worth Saving---------------------------------

Freedom.

Lithe, compact muscles pulled and stretched in perfect synchrony beneath the green leather that had been baked to a perfect dark hue under the binary stars over the previous week. Among his species, he was the epitome of the physical specimen. His point seven meter frame, though diminutive to most of the other species in the galaxy, was above average on his world. His large pointed ears, now set slightly back to support the flow of his movements, were extremely appealing to the opposite sex.

Fine beads of sweat were coalescing to form rivers of coolness that flowed through the sinewy channels of his well-formed physique, only to fall to the soft earth, discarded and forgotten as he raced beneath the hot suns. Each ridge in his arms was like a finely made rope of strength. His phenomenal physical stamina was obvious when one saw the shirtless creature?s abdominal muscles flex and strain with his casual gait. His large, bulbous eyes were striking emerald pools of serenity that seemed to have infinite depth. And atop this magnificent creature?s impressive form, like a crown worn by the great kings of millennia past, was a flowing mane of hair that billowed behind him in a sea of glittering silver.

This was Jedi Master Yoda.

Yoda ran with a speed that few of the best athletes on his planet could ever hope to achieve. Three pointed toes on each foot alternately gripped and released the earth to propel the Jedi Master forward with such regularity that the motion itself became a symphony. He loved the feel of the earth beneath his bare feet. He loved the gentle sound they made as gravity demanded that he not fly from the surface of the planet each time he left it.

The wind was his friend. It brought soothing coolness across his powerful frame. The more rapidly he dashed, the sweeter the gentle song of the wind became in his voluminous ears.

As he raced beneath the morning sky, the twin suns rising slowly above the tree-shrouded mountains ahead, Yoda was at peace. He could feel everything in the Force. The ground welcomed his every step with the warm embrace of a long forgotten lover. The trees sang songs of praise to his every stride while providing him slight protection from the stars? powerful rays. The rocks sat solemnly in awe of his unyielding will. The wind was his friend. But the Force was his ally.

The river ahead was nearly a kilometer across. It roared with turbulent waters that crashed down the two hundred meter waterfall in a torrent of white-foam spray. Yoda surveyed the scene with a wry smile. His morning jog was not complete. No small trickle of water was going to stop him. Not today. Not ever.

Yoda prided himself on his reluctance to call on the Force except when necessary. Far too often, he had seen his fellow Jedi use the Force for such casual things as lifting heavy objects rather than relying o

2. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Welcome to the wonderful and fascinating and breathtaking 'Before'. :D

Liked your descriptive prose. And the way Yoda's been introduced. And am eager to see more. :)

3. Coric_Colje

Coric_Colje Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    (Pops in)

Yes, I'm reading stories at a normal hour this time! :D

Soudy, my favoritest fic-writing Squid! :) Well... The only squid I know to write fic... Or really, the only squid I know... Sorta...

Anyway! :) I'm liking how this one's starting... Could always picture Yoda like this; a little more care-free and less fettered by rules than he seemed later in life, yet... Somehow he still shows his little nuances of "just doing the job"... The slight annoyance at the celebration in his honor...

I can't wait to read more. :)

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Wow! You have given Yoda more character than I ever saw in the movies. Good job, Souderwan! I'm anxious to see where this goes!!

5. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    Awesome start! =D= I am definitely liking this younger, more relaxed, if not a little less patient Yoda. Much to learn he still has. [face_alien_1]

6. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Very interesting Sounderwan. I am glad I found this. :) I bet more of your Fall of the Sith friends will be coming soon too. I like how you have described Yoda and I look forward to more. This is an extremely open topic so I have no idea where you will take this. I can't wait to see a dark Yoda. :D Maybe this will explain how he got how he is in the PT and OT. [face_thinking]

7. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Yoda!!! Loving this new story. Yoda is rebel! Oh yeah! Souderwan you really have out done yourself. Liken' that ponytail. I can't wait for you to introduce the village.

PS: You do great begginings.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Nice job with Yoda here! :D Great work, but that doesn't surprise me at all! Consider me one of your many fans.

An amazing start and I can't wait for the rest of the ride!

9. OperaGhost21

OperaGhost21 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Rather enjoyed your first post, I did.

Feeling you have already exceeded your exceptional talents, I am.

Anxiously awaiting more, I will be.

Finding it hard not to talk like this, I am.

10. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Now...as my name suggests i am a large fan of the little green guy so with that said

That was wonderful, i loved the characterzation you have of yoda, just wonderful. I can't wait for this little fic to really getting going, just a great intro.

Yoda

11. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    ithesock: Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I hope that my stay here will be as enjoyable as my time in the Saga Forum. Thanks for your warm words. I wonder if you say that to all the new authors...meditate on this, I will.... ;)

Coric_Colje: Heya chair force buddy! ;) Glad you could make it over! You'll find that Yoda is not quite the same little guy we all know and most of us love. But...that doesn't mean there isn't a little bit of the old guy inside waiting to come out.

rhonderoo: **bows humbly** Any words of encouragement from you carry too much weight to respond with anything other than humble thanks. Let's hope I don't disappoint.

jpauln: You have no idea how much Yoda's going to learn in this story! Stay tuned!

Darth-Lutgerous: Without giving too much away, I can safely say that this entire story is about how Yoda (and the Jedi Order) become the people we see in the PT. As we all know, we are often the sum of our experiences. We all know that Yoda is wise because of his vast experiences but we have not (until now) learned anything about what those life-lessons were. This is one very long lesson for our favorite little green guy.

DarthAJ: I like the pony-tail too. I was inspired, believe it or not by Yoda's hair in the movies. It's all kinda combed back with these little white strands everywhere. I could just picture him with long flowing white or silver hair. :D
    Thanks for the compliment on the beginning. I worked really hard on trying to get it right and my Beta STILL managed to tell me to fix it! :) Thank God I've got a Beta **waves to mithrissa**

VaderLVR64: You're a fan of mine??!! :eek: Thanks. I'm still auditioning to work with you here! ;) Glad you like what you see so far. This should be easier for you than trying to finish off FoTS (which got a little long. I know how hard it is to get through a long fic from the beginning...)

OperaGhost21: [:D][:D][:D] Yeah!!! One of the gang is here!! :D So happy to see you. Love your Yoda-speak, btw. If you think that's hard, try doing it for an entire village! Oh, and you have to stick to the grammer rules or somebody will be all over you like white on rice! Not fun. That's the most daunting part of this story and I almost didn't write it because of that.

yoda4982: I figured if I snagged just one reader, it would be you! :) Glad you like what I've done so far. Remember later on, when you don't like Yoda as much that I did much worse to my own favorite character, ok? :D

12. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    *Late Again*

:p

Damn, Souder, you're going from strength to strength. By the end of FotS you had the biggest following off the back of a debut fic I've ever seen! And now you've jumped straight into Before and delivered a scintillating first post of what could only become another masterpiece under your tender quill.

The descriptions are top class, rivalling or even bettering those from FotS, and the dialogue shows a new depth to Yoda that seems to have been worn out of him by the beginning of the PT.

I applaud you sir!

13. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    Another wonderful start to what I forsee becoming another wonderful story. The characterization of Yoda was excellent, he's like an entirely different person now. Just goes to show what 300 years can do to a person. So all... Yodians, for lack of a better name, speak like Yoda. This should make some very interesting conversations. I can't wait to see where this goes, I'll definently be a reader. I have to go on vacation for two weeks though, and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access, so I'll just have to catch up when I get back. I'll be looking forward to it.

:)

14. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I love the premise, but all this backwards talking is giving me a headache :_|! This is not your father's Yoda (EDIT: Though it could be your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather's Yoda ;) ... [face_beatup] ) , but you can see his sense of humor hasn't changed over the years (Exhibit A: ESB). And I love how the minister was tempted to hit him with his walking stick. It is not just based off FOTS that I add this to the fics I follow, though that helped.

One question: I was always under the impression that if Yoda was not the last of his kind that they were at the least quite rare. Is this the case for this fic? Perhaps it will involve his race becoming rare. Hmmm?

15. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    Nice beginning to your new story. For someone so big in the Star Wars universe, I'm surprised so little has actually been done about Yoda. I can only think of one book based on him, and he had to share the glory with Dooku, two kids, and our heroes from the prequel movies.

This sounds like it could be interesting, adventerous, and funny all at the same time. I wonder what evil thing(s) Yoda is going to be involved with.

Also, bring on Yaddle.

16. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    Well to be truthfull i am very excited to see yoda touch the darkside or do whatever your going to do with him. i think it adds to the character. And one thing i can't wait to see is your OC's. I love the first one you've introduced to us i can't wait to see more.

Don't let anything hold you back, i can't wait to read it.

yoda

17. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Cobranaconda: Thanks so much! :) I'm pleased beyond words that you've decided to give this a try. I hope I can keep you as entertained as I did with Fall of The Sith. I'm going to do my best to show everyone a side to Yoda they might never have considered before. ;)

LordZeron: Yoda is a migru (which you'll see in the next post). And yes...they all speak the same. Sorry. Just think about how hard it is to write that way when feeling frustrated with how to read it. :D And don't worry...it won't be like FoTS, you shouldn't be 10 pages behind when you get back.

Darth_Scroobius: Regarding the rarity of Yoda's species by the time TPM rolls around, that will be explained later on in the story. I'll try not to give anything away beyond that. I have no problem giving out spoilers but only via PM.

Hyperion51: It is precisely because so little is known about the litte green guy that I picked him for my next story. Also...I needed to provide an explanation for some unanswered questions I had from the PT and OT. But...there's nothing I can't do with him, because there's no cannon rules regarding Yoda other than his height and color (which I almost changed, just for fun). ;)

yoda4982: Obviously, you'll be seeing lots of OC's. The only cannon characters in this story are Yoda and a brief visit by Yaddle. Other than that...it's all original. That's good, in a way, because I'm not restricted. But...believe it or not, I have a hard time not making up names like "Bob" and "Jill" for these people! :D

All: Right below this is the next post. Hope you enjoy.

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005

The music and cheers reverberated through the trees in a harmony full of joy and celebration. Hundreds of migru were gathered in the village square, standing on either side of the main dirt road yelling and screaming with glee as the parade of younglings marched by in perfect lockstep.

The younglings? faces were rigid with intensity. They didn?t smile. They all wore the same garb?dark brown strips of cloth with a hole for their heads and a strip of maroon vine-chord tied around their waists. All were shoeless, as was customary of the migru and they all had their hair in a tight topknot. They were the very model of simplicity. There was no individuality evident?no necklaces or trinkets; no unique tying of the topknot; no special way of wearing their overcloaks; and no variation in facial expression. They were the best of the migru younglings.

Yoda found them impossibly boring.

Each of them was auditioning for the role of Yoda?s personal assistant. Every year, for the past two thousand years, a new honoree was selected by the Tribal Council as the Migru of the Year. Nominally, this individual was chosen from among the top political and economic powerhouses in the community. One youngling was given the opportunity to become that great migru?s aide-de-camp. With this selection, the youngling would usually be groomed for the enviable opportunity to become a cleric in the Tribal Council. A mere hundred years of dedicated effort might earn that youngling an actual seat on the Council?the highest honor a migru could possibly hope to attain.

This tradition was the most anticipated event on the forest planet of Migruna III. Migru from all over the planet traveled for days to be at The Choosing. Prime Village was always abuzz during this time of year and the local vendors worked doubly hard to capitalize on the influx of migru visitors. The most popular item for sale was, of course, the stilt. Almost a thousand years prior, one very enterprising migru farmer built an empire from the sale of stilts. It seemed that the migru were rather fond of playing tall for a while. At the parade, as many migru walked on stilts as didn?t.

The Prime Village Drummers were pounding the drums incessantly and the String Group was plucking away in perfect unison on their three-stringed vonglen. It was all giving Yoda a headache. His chin was resting on his right hand, his elbow firmly planted on the arm of his wicker chair that was almost at the same height as the Prime Minister?s. Yoda was struggling to keep the lack of interest he felt from showing. He wasn?t being very successful.

?Pretend, at least, you must,? Prime Minister Gandol whispered to Yoda, leaning down. It was hardly necessary since Yoda?s large ears could hear him whispering from a hundred meters away. ?For you, this celebration is. The Choosing, a great experience it can be. When your age, I was, great pleasure I took in selecting an apprentice.? Yoda turned sharply and glared at Gandol. Gandol simply smiled at Yoda?s reaction. ?Aide. Aide. I know, I know. Worry too much, you Jedi do, about words. Focus on meaning, you should. The essence of communication, this is.? Yoda softened and found a smile spreading across his face in spite of himself.

?Wise, you are,? Yoda grinned. ?A great Jedi, you would have made.? After noting Gandol smiling at the comment, he sat straight in his chair and faced Gandol with a mock-stern look. ?For you only, pretend, I will.? With that, Yoda looked out into the crowd of younglings who were about to perform The Passing ceremony. Any moment now, the entire brigade of younglings would turn their heads simultaneously toward the Delegation of the Chosen, made up of previous honorees and members of the Tribal Council. The Delegation was gathered on the large platform built into the ancient tree in the very center of Prime Village.

The main road passed by the Gathering Tree and every road in the village connected to the main road. In fact, the entire network or roads and byways on the planet were all connected in some way.

19. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    They were intensely fond of small lights and enjoyed shining them at night.

I love it! That's why Yoda tried to steal the lamp from Luke.

... who didn?t look a day over eight hundred. HA!

And now we know where the Jedi got the ridiculous sounding "youngling" name. Youngling looks fine in print, but when you say it out loud... not so good.

The Jedi loved individuality--Yoda especially.

Huh? The Jedi all wear the same drab brown robes, all the padawans and initiates have the same haircut, and almost all the lightsabers are either blue or green colored. Maybe this is another thing that was different three hundred years ago?

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Yoda seems to always get himself into things he doesn't want to do!

This is as funny as I have ever seen Yoda. Well done!

21. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    This update made me laugh in several places [face_laugh] I love the thoughts of the Migru on stilts! And their love of shiny objects brought back the scene from ESB as Yoda fought R2 for the flashlight. :D Could the youngling be Yaddle?

22. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Okay, I finally got here.

What I liked most so far was Yoda's morning jog. A hero in the "time between", having some downtime, relaxing. A brief moment of not having to fight some monsters.

But of course the monsters, and Sith not least, are coming.

23. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Charming post Souderwan. Extremely charming all with a bit of knowledge. I like how your tieing up many loose ends here. Ooo and we have a name! Migru! I love it. Migruna III! I also love it. I really love this Souderwan. Even more so than FOTS maybe? Yoda is becoming my favorite character! (After you already persuaded me with Mace) Your writing is superb! Way better than most of us. (Including me :p) As c3P0 said "Wonderful, Wonderful!"

24. mithrissa

mithrissa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I don't even know where to start, dear Souderwan.

Firstly, let me compliment you on creating a complete and believable culture for the migru: in this post you've briefly explored their agriculture, economy, values and myths. However, it's the use of the small details and idiosyncracies that makes them feel so alive.

Migru bedtime stories almost always involved some fantastic tale about escaping the jaws of a hungry Astaak.

They were intensely fond of small lights and enjoyed shining them at night.

I get the feeling that they are a society that values harmony, and the "simple things in life", but who have a wonderful sense of humour and the ridiculous. Their love of shiny objects (very Magpie like: an Australian bird with a penchant for decorating it's nest with shiny objects) is endearing, and although it seems child-like at first, reflects a genuine pleasure in life, and an appealing lack of self-pretention.

I also enjoy their "yoda-authenticity". Their cultural habits tailor nicely with some of the characteristics Yoda showed in ESB. I can imagine an older, sadder (though I'm not sure about wiser!) and nostalgic Yoda returning to the long forgotten traditions of his home world. Including making repulsive soups! (Poor Luke!)

they particularly enjoyed the delicious taste produced from the pungent sulfur-smelling boiled bark of the bending tree, which got its name from its tendency to bow its trunk almost to the ground during the winter months.

Nice use of foreshadowing: one can taste the Jedi Order that Yoda will shape in the brief sketch of his early life:

He even explained to Yoda how the two Jedi Masters had come to the Council and requested permission to take him to Coruscant for training. When Yoda had asked about his parents, Gandol had been gentle in explaining how they had died in one of the first mine collapses. He even showed Yoda the location where their ashes had been spread. The Jedi Master had never forgotten Gandol and counted him as the only real friend outside of the Order he had in the galaxy.

Lastly, I love the sense of humour that you have imbued throughout this fic. There is an undercurrent of gentle mockery that I find irresitable. Be careful, or I'll begin to think that the migru humour has infected you too.

?Do it, I will?? Yoda said finally through gritted teeth. ?But like it, I will not!?

Whatever you say, Yoda! He might hate the idea of performing to someone else's tune, but I think he'll rather enjoy displaying his skills to "shock and awe" those tiresome migru!

Great Chaper! I look forward to the next post!

Myth.

25. yoda4982

Jul 10, 2002
    Great post souderwan, i loved it. It was full of the humor i would see yoda having.

Note: Accourding to Star Wars Source Books (I'll find it some where in my stack) Yoda is the Prankster at the Jedi order, and many times young Jedi Knight who have been recently knighted get the most pranks. Also the members of the council are not safe from his pranks.

I think you have captured the heart of yoda right there in these two post. Great job, and i love the culture it is very rich and very deep i can't wait for more.

Great Job again. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.