main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Descent Into The Dark (EU, Yoda 300 years before TPM)--*Complete* Replies 7/31- Link to EotD posted!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Souderwan, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarrak_Hallon

Jarrak_Hallon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
  2. excellion_razor

excellion_razor Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2006
    Tyú never saw Dorran as a threat. What a fool. love the ending to this post. Yoda played those fools all to well. Looking forward to what happens next. If you have a pm list plz pm when you post an update.

3. Art_Of_War

Art_Of_War Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2005
    In the course of reading DitD, I?ve come across many parallels found in one relatively famous book, namely Joseph Campbell?s ?The Hero with a Thousand Faces.?

Yoda, being the Hero whom we follow, is called onto a journey by his visions of the future, precursors of what?s to come. He accepts the call, and in doing so, finds himself in contact with the wise man who attempts to help Yoda in the call, namely the elder from Prime Village.

Upon departing the elder, Yoda is confronted with his the first threshold and the guardian that stands at its boundaries, namely the Jedi council, who in turn fail to dissuade the hero from his journey. Upon his victory, the hero is then confronted with the message, which in this case is represented by Dorran. From here, the hero embarks upon a number of trials, culminating in the initial confrontation with the temptress, Rizza.

Rizza, being the temptress, represents the other aspect of the hero, almost like a subconscious to his conscious, a yin to his yang. Upon the confrontation, the temptress attempts to dissuade the hero from his path?. And if successful, as it was in this case for a time, the hero must atone for his actions.

Which for Yoda occurs at the slaying of Qui-Lek where he reaffirms his dedication to the Jedi and his goal, saving Migruna?

Following this, the hero then confronts his subconscious and triumphs, and in doing so reaps the benefits of his journey.

But this also leads to the manner of his return. Assuming that Souderwan does not turn this into an AU, Yoda returns to the Jedi, and by crossing the return threshold, obtains the ability for him to be master of both the physical realm and the higher spiritual plane.

And finally, upon arrival, the hero becomes the Saint, a hero type where in the person rejects the world, the ego, and all other materialistic things in order to obtain ?enlightenment?.

Ahhhh?.Excellent work, Souderwan.=D=

4. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    You know, in there is an interesting trend in Star Wars.

With the exception of Obi-Wan's killing of Maul, Jedi who kill Sith turn to the dark side. Or it is strongly implied that this will happen. Anakin kills Dooku, he falls in the next week. In the OT, Obi-Wan seems like he never had the intention of trying to defeat Vader physically, and if Luke had killed either Vader or the Emperor, he would have fallen.

Actually, I don't really like that Obi-Wan killed Maul, it doesn't fit.

Oh well. Point being, that if Yoda had killed Rizza, that would have been a Bad Thing. The next Sith apprentice tends to be the one who killed the last Sith apprentice (or master, in this case). So yeah, thank you Yoda for being a wise Yoda. :D

And I'm not disturbed by cheering for Frigeus here, am I?

Of course, Rizza had... well, she lost long before Frigeus finished her. It's that psychology thing that I can't quite put a name to, but somehow she went to a place where she had power over no one, and gave Yoda a bunch of power over her...

Or maybe I'm nuts.8-}

5. Baby_Death_Star

Baby_Death_Star Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    What a great chapter! Wow!!

I too liked the fact Migruna survived, partly because I never suspected this.

Hmm ... just Obi killing Maul. Interesting points you made, ladylaurel. Very interesting. Perhaps Obi just didn't want to "win" or "surpass" Maul or "replacing" him in any kind of (Sith-) way, but just had to "remove" him or "distract" him in order to save his dying Master, like Darth Vader just had to stop Sidious killing his boy ...
    Assuming the wound was cauterized, Maul didn't even have to die (much like Sidious), as seen in AU. ;)

updated pdf:
    "Descent into the Dark" by Souderwan pdf, 14 chapters yet, 162pg, 560kB

6. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Author?s note: It?s my favorite time of the week. Friday!! Ok. It?s late on Friday and by the time I get these responses done, it might be Saturday. Still?I?m here!! :D The next post is written and has been beta?d. I?m doing a little more tweaking before I post so just be patient with me. I?ll probably post tomorrow sometime. This next post will constitute the second-to-last post in the story proper. By that, I mean there will be one more post in the main narrative. After that, there will be a series of vignettes posted within this thread. The vignettes will be ?retellings? of certain moments in the SW saga and will diverge into the retelling of one or two scenes in FotS. Then we?ll wrap up with an Epilogue. :D

Once again, I am truly honored and blessed to have such wonderful readers! Your responses really do make my heart sing and they managed to help me through a ridiculously trying and difficult week at work. Thank you!! [:D]

EDIT: I've got the next post and it will be up shortly. I'd like to thank GrandAdmiralV for her efficient and wonderful beta as always [:D]. Also, a genuine heartfelt thanks to geo3 for tolerating me during my need for a sounding board session!

Now?on to replies! :D

Art_Of_War: *Places medal around his neck* Congratulations! You have won the weekly First Post Award!!

The perfect chapter. Suspense that had my heart beating in tune with every word...
    Dead on characterization...
    Breathtaking action...
    A perfectly arranged allegory...
    And a heartbreaking ending.

It has it all.

:eek: Wow! Umm?[face_blush] I?m?honored. Thank you.

As always, I'm enthralled by how the action you describe always seems to inhabit a higher plane, where our beliefs collide with the physical in heartfelt and visceral violence.

Thanks. I really do try to move action beyond simply the physical interactions of the players. In every fight I?ve ever been in, it always boiled down to a contest of wills, not merely skills. In those cases where the battle a matter of life and death, it only makes sense that the battle should rise to yet a higher plane.

As for Adannu (the appointed time)...

Well done!! Your insight serves you well?[/Obi-Wan]

For some reason, the entire passage seems to expose the cold(objective?) nature of Rizza as she watches her plans come to fruition.

It seems almost a characteristic of these Sith Masters?they create their plans and relish in watching them play out according to their designs?

Yes. I think cold nature is an apt description.
    How true, the very source of a Sith's power is his ability to feel emotion, from within the self or from outside the self.

I?d say it?s more that the Sith use their emotions as a source of power. The Sith do not feel emotion any better than the Jedi do. The difference is that the Jedi put those emotions aside. The Sith use them.

Arcalian: Yoda saved Migruna! Yoda saved the planet! Yoda saved the planet! I so did not see that coming! YAY! *dances*

Umm?[face_worrying]

Darth Tyu didn't get what she really wanted--to be inside Yoda's head. But she did get inside *somebody's head....so has it been so must it be, et cetera.

*chuckle* I?m thinking about any readers here who haven?t read FotS who are scratching their heads on this comment! :p But yes?so has it been, so must it always be? ;)

Was also amusing to see Yoda play with her in that fashion, hmmmmm?

I?m glad you liked that. I thought, as I wrote it, that there some people might find it gleefully fun and amusing while others might find it somewhat disconcerting and scary. I don?t know which response I?d prefer. I like ?em both! :D

And thanks for the encouragement!

Lord_Zeron:

Souderwan, your mastery of words is comparable too... well, Yoda's mastery of the Force. Or Windu's mastery of the lightsaber. It's just so beautifully stunning I don't even know how to describe it.

[face_blush] You guys?twice i

7. Darth_Vastor

Darth_Vastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    These last few posts have been truly great! I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't check sooner. I've missed out on an opportunity to respond to them as they come. I guess I'll have to settle for one big post.

Kaine closed his eyes against the scene and leaned his head against the wall. Thoughts and images flashed through his mind at a dazzling rate. His suddenly dry throat made his attempts to swallow painful. He clenched his fists.

For years he had waited. He had been patient. He had planned. He had schemed. He had followed orders.

He pounded his fist against the wall.

Enough.

Foreshadowing. I didn't know what to expect there. Kaine decided to act, but I didn't anticipate ... I'll save it.

?Die today, I may.?

His weapon sprung to life.

?But die at your hands, I will not.?

Call Yoda a prophet. Or just call him the best.

?Notice the dance they engage in, Yoda. They swing each other around like lovers meeting for the first time, hovering and circling, unsure how to proceed. And then?? The two particles suddenly entered a stunningly fast and rapidly tightening spiral. ??they decide.?

Yet again, your incredible gift to convey deep symbolism in such innocent phrases blows me away.

Yoda stared down at his wounded knee. Fortunately the wound had been cauterized, most lightsaber wounds were. Unfortunately, he could not stand.

Hmm?a problem, this could be.

[face_laugh] Typical Yoda, taking everything in stride. He's not going to let something like that stop him.

?I really do love you, Yoda.?

Two?

Yoda relaxed his hands.

?I will not turn.?

One...

?I know.?

There is no death; there is only the Force.

I was holding my breath for that entire countdown. I knew that the weapon being used against Migruna III was inevitable, but the way you described Yoda and Rizza in that scene kept me guessing to the end.

Rizza spun once again. ?What game are you playing, Yoda?? Rizza drew her blade and a ruby glow pierced the darkness. ?Migruna III is gone. Now join me or die.? She swept her blade around, trying to anticipate where he might be.

Her sensitive ears picked up none of his breathing.

Her powers in the Force sensed none of his presence.

?Where are you?!?

?See for yourself.?

The viewscreen suddenly lit up behind her and filled with the blue-green vista of Migruna III. The inferno on the main continent had already died down to the point it was no longer visible from space.

No!

Her throat closed. ?Impossible??

?Wanted to see my power in the dark side, you did, hmmm??

He did it! Yoda has saved Migruna III and defeated Rizza, and he didn't even have to strike the killing blow.

?You treacherous fool!! You cannot destroy me!!?

The blade descended with blinding speed. The screams of warning in the Force only served to let her know that the target was her exposed neck.

As the darkness clouded her mind as well as her eyes, she smiled inwardly at the final words she would hear.

?Treachery is the way of the Sith.?

It is indeed. I was so wrapped up in the Yoda/Rizza conflict that I always thought Kaine would just escape or meet a trivial end. This is so much better than I anticipated! It's the perfect crowning moment for a character I've grown to enjoy so much.

The story may be drawing to a close, but I've never enjoyed it more! =D= Looking forward to the next post.

8. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Darth_Vastor: Yay!! I love bonus responses! They make my day. :D

These last few posts have been truly great! Thanks!! :)

I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't check sooner. I've missed out on an opportunity to respond to them as they come. I guess I'll have to settle for one big post.

Well, if you like, I can add you to the PM list. As it is, I'm happy to have you here no matter how often to post. It's an honor when readers share their responses with me.

Foreshadowing. I didn't know what to expect there. Kaine decided to act, but I didn't anticipate ... I'll save it.

Caught me! ;) Yes. Kaine realized that he had to take action. I think he knew that all along, but he finally decided. You may have noticed that decisions and choices are something that run through a lot of my work...

Yet again, your incredible gift to convey deep symbolism in such innocent phrases blows me away.

[face_blush] Thank you! I'm truly honored. You're number 4, btw! (see my responses above if that didn't make sense)

*laugh* Typical Yoda, taking everything in stride. He's not going to let something like that stop him.

I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was kinda funny at the time too, but sometimes when all everything's going to hell in a handbasket, humor is lost in translation. Yes...Jedi do not let little things like getting your knee chopped up stop them and as far as Jedi go, there aren't a whole lot that outpace our little green friend.

I was holding my breath for that entire countdown. I knew that the weapon being used against Migruna III was inevitable, but the way you described Yoda and Rizza in that scene kept me guessing to the end.

*grin* You have no idea how cool it is to hear a reader say that they were breathless as they read. I means that they were truly engaged in the story and nothing is more satisfying than that for an author. Thank you!!

He did it! Yoda has saved Migruna III and defeated Rizza, and he didn't even have to strike the killing blow.

Well....

I was so wrapped up in the Yoda/Rizza conflict that I always thought Kaine would just escape or meet a trivial end. This is so much better than I anticipated! It's the perfect crowning moment for a character I've grown to enjoy so much.

This was much the mistake Rizza made as well. She was so wrapped up in Yoda that she forgot about her apprentice and the very real threat that all apprentices post to their masters among the Sith. I'm throughly pleased that you're enjoying the characters. I sure enjoy writing them.

Looking forward to the next post.

Stick around for 5 minutes or so and I'll hook you right up! :D

9. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005

Durasteel corridors were nothing but a blur as Yoda dashed through the hallways. Agony pulsed from his shattered knee with every step. Rather than block the pain receptors in his brain with the Force as he had been taught as a padawan, Yoda allowed the near-debilitating fire to occupy his racing mind.

Keeping his focus entirely on reaching the hanger bay, Yoda marshaled his will to swallow the torture he was inflicting on his body, turned hard on the next corner, and barreled down another hallway.

A sudden shift in the floor, and Yoda tumbled. Yoda silently thanked the Force, when the warning it whispered to him the instant before the violent quake rocked the ship enabled him to tuck into the fall. Clutching his wounded knee protectively as he toppled head over heels down the hallway, Yoda desperately called on the Force to overcome the power of inertia.

Abruptly cradled in the arms of the Force, Yoda?s plummet halted. Hovering just above the shaking floor, he sunk deeper into himself and waited for the vibrations to subside. No longer under pressure, the fire in Yoda?s knee receded to a dull ache. With no pain to distract him, and forced into this unexpected respite from his flight to the hanger, Yoda?s mind wandered to the moment right before he began his flight.

What had happened?

He had planned to kill her. Despite the overwhelming sense of calm that had overcome him before facing her, the darkness had erupted the moment the weapon fired on Migruna. Each death had been an individual outcry in the Force.

All seven thousand, three hundred, and seven.

Yoda closed his eyes more tightly and bit back the tears that threatened to form. The rage that had exploded in his chest had surprised him. As hard as he had fought against it, the anger had clashed against his breastbone, scratching and seething and demanding release. He had wrestled with the writhing creature, confident the Force would light the way.

But he had found only darkness.

Rizza had stopped the destruction of the station, and it was clear that she had planned to escape. Migruna would never be safe as long as the Sith wanted her destroyed. The Force had told him this, and the creature had agreed. In an instant, the dark side of the Force had overwhelmed him, and Rizza?s death had been assured.

What would have happened then?

Who would he have become?

It had felt so good to let the creature free. It had been a relief. In those brief moments as he tortured her, relishing her fear, Yoda had felt?powerful, invincible, strong. He had felt righteous in his rage. She had deserved to die. No one could have stopped her but he. He was judge. He was jury. Most importantly, he was the executioner.

And he was just.

No. It had been wrong.

Yoda whispered silent thanks to the Force for the timely communication from Kaine. The irony of owing his soul to a Sith was not lost on him.

The vibrations settled beneath him and Yoda lowered himself gently to the floor. Tearing a piece of cloth from his robes, he knelt down and appraised his injury. Rizza?s attack had severed the cartilage and destroyed his knee cap. Yoda frowned. The wound would not be cured with bacta. An artificial replacement was anathema. Yoda tied the strip of cloth around the damage and stood.

Breathing deeply into the Force, Yoda harnessed the invisible energy that surrounded him and directed it to his leg.

The ground shook beneath him again.

Time was growing short.

Yoda ran.

The sudden surge in the Force clashed against Yoda as he turned down the last corridor to the hangar bay.

He stopped.

Thirty meters down the hallway, standing between Yoda and the entrance to the hangar, stood the last remaining Dark Lord of the Sith. Yoda was not sure how he knew this, but the truth of it rang deep into his soul.

Kaine had killed Rizza.

Yoda nodded.

It was done.

Pulling his robe aside, Yoda extended his hand and willed the chrome hilt of his lightsaber to his open palm. He stared at Kaine. Calm. Ready.

Emerald energy reflected

10. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Oh man, all things do die, but Hey.. I think the Jedi still need to have some serious lessons on Elizabeth Kubler-Ross :) Mourning will still be part of it.

This was heart wrenching Souderwan!

11. GrandAdmiralV

GrandAdmiralV Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    I love compromises. I love the fact that Yoda had to accept the fact that it was better to let Kaine go and achieve some sort of détente rather than go for an all-or-nothing solution to the Sith problem.

It's also chilling to realize how close Yoda came to being swallowed up by the dark side. I wonder how Kaine would feel if he knew that it was his inadvertent intervention that kept Yoda from completely slipping into it.

Guess I spoke too soon on the whole "Migruna is safe" thing. :p I'm guessing that that one shot from the super-laser was enough to disturb its orbit...or something like that.

I'm sad that this is almost done...but at least you'll be giving us some viggies to keep the whole Yoda-love going. [face_love]

12. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    That was great. I loved how you explained why Yoda needs his cane...or is Kaine.

Yoda realizing that the Jedi were not powerful enough to defeat the Sith was a nice touch. I guess it explains why we have all these powerful Jedi 4000 years before the movies then we don't hear anything about powerful Jedi until just before the PT. I guess Yoda has been training. Although we know that only like 3 Jedi from the PT can deal with the Sith...and heck one becomes a Sith

And I love the line...even stars burn out

13. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....:_|

Yoda had saved the planet! He did! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHGGHHH.

It is clear, Yoda made the wrong choice. Kaine's "children" were not proper Sith, and without him they would never have become so. They may have been a problem for the Jedi, but not an insoluable one. Wether you figure it by ROTS or FOTS, the price paid by the Jedi for this was too high, and all because Yoda made the wrong choice.

But of course, Yoda had paid too high a price already, before that decision was even made, and he himself did not know it.

Not even one was saved, not even one.....:_|

Even stars burn out, yes....but some stars burn out too soon.

Far too soon.:_|

14. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    It was as if many voices cried out in pain, and were suddenly silenced...

I can't imagine how horrible Yoda must have felt to believe his planet dead, then saved, then destroyed again. That has to be so terrible, I have to admire him for having the ability to return to the Jedi Order. I don't blame him for crying, I'd be devestated as well.

To keep such an exact count, Yoda must truly have had a strong connection with his people. As bad as Kaine felt at the deaths, I bet Yoda felt a hundred times worse.

The paragraphs about the temptation Yoda felt were nothing less than magnificent, the way you portrayed the Dark Side is the way I've always imagined it to be. To the Jedi, their evil deeds would feel morally right and that would be the biggest danger; which right is right?

The way you had them both live was definetly not how I expected. I was thinking Yoda would get off the station as quickly as possible, followed soon afterward by Kaine, never to meet again. But the meeting between the two was excellent, all of the logic behind the characters' motivations made perfect sense, and it gives a great explanation to why we haven't heard this story before, and why the Sith had not futher confrontations with the Jedi. For a moment, I was confused how Kaine beat Yoda to the Hanger, but I suppose he would know a few shortcuts, being on his own battlestation and all.

When Friegus mentioned he would return to Korun to meet with his children, I can't help but wonder if perhaps not all of his descendants followed the path of the dark side... or better yet, perhaps they did. Maybe a hidden link to FotS?

Yoda swallowed. ?Why should I trust you??

Kaine blinked, as if surprised by the question. ?Why should I trust you??

Yoda lifted his chin. ?I am Jedi.?

Kaine laughed. ?And I am Sith.?

I especially liked those lines, though I tend to agree with Yoda. I would take the word of a Jedi over the word of a Sith any day. The latter aren't exactly known for being trustworthy. But as you've previously shown us, many dark siders don't think of themselves as evil.

I was also wondering if Yoda might try to shoot down Dorran's fighter or, more likely, the other way around. But I guess they both had some honor left, and I supose Yoda was a bit preoccupied.

All things die. That is the way of things. The way of the Force. Even stars burn out?.

So very true. Unfortunate, perhaps, but I suppose death is simply a natural part of life. I see where Yoda got all his background for his talk with Anakin in RotS, and the "Even stars burn out" draws yet another commonality between them. Throughout the entire story, in fact, you've explained so much about how Yoda changed from a slightly-arrogant, young, confused Jedi to the wise Jedi Master we all know and love. And I suppose the wound from Rizza will remain with Yoda forever, as a constant reminder of his darker past.

It's sad that this story is coming to a close, but it was a fantastic adventure. I'll be looking forward to the final chapter, and all the vignettes as well.

From your previous reply:

I can?t remember if you read FotS or not. If you did, then you know the answer to this question already. If you haven?t, then you?ve got a long read ahead of you! You can PM me for the cliff?s notes version if you like.

Yes I did, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm slightly confused though: did you just mean that the Sith Order does indeed continue, at least until Mace, or is there something totally obvious that I'm missing? It's been a while since I read FotS, and I'm not known for my great memory.;)

Side note: I have your fic in my cue to be read. It?s just taking me longer than I planned to get to it.

No rush, I'm extremely happy to hear that you'll be a future reader! If by "your fic" you mean The Lost War, you should probably be forwarned: I wrote it quite a while ago, and it probably isn't my best work. Also, it's part of a

15. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, you got me. I wasn?t expecting this.

I should have, of course ? thinking back to the earlier post in which Yoda remembered his early lesson about the particles that dance away from one another, I should have known. As you probably intended ([face_devil]) I had misinterpreted, thinking that perhaps the clash between Yoda and Rizza would be that final anomalous event where they return and annihilate one another.

But of course that wouldn?t be the case, since Yoda will survive into the Saga era. I should have known.

But I didn?t.

Instead, I was lured into your trap and given the welcome surprise of one of the most satisfying posts ever!

I absolutely love the depth and the sophistication with which you handle these issues (weak word, but I can?t think of a better one at the moment) of the Dark vs. Light sides of the Force. The parallels between them (?The two crossed the threshold together, side by side.? The close links between them (? Yoda whispered silent thanks to the Force for the timely communication from Kaine. The irony of owing his soul to a Sith was not lost on him.?After all, how truly separate can two things be when they both form part of a greater whole? ) And of course, the balance between them:

Like others have mentioned, I particularly loved the glimpse you have provided in this story into the truth that to the Sith, their actions have a deep rightness of their own:

It had felt so good to let the creature free. It had been a relief. In those brief moments as he tortured her, relishing her fear, Yoda had felt?powerful, invincible, strong. He had felt righteous in his rage. She had deserved to die. No one could have stopped her but he. He was judge. He was jury. Most importantly, he was the executioner.

And he was just.

That is just plain honest, and it makes the battle Yoda fights to remain within the light that much more poignant. (? No. It had been wrong.?)

The final lesson in this post ? at least, the way I read it, seems to be about power and control. It is a lesson of the Light ? that absolute control is an illusion. Yoda did everything he could to save Migruna III, and thought he had ? but the forces that had been unleashed had knock-on effects of a cosmic nature, and in the end, he had to learn to accept that the planet?s fate was out of his hands.

Perhaps some centuries in the future he would come to realize that he had not failed, but that he had done everything he could. The rest is up to a power that is far greater than any one being ? the Force itself.

?Yoda,? Rimassiss had said. ?All things die. That is the way of things. The way of the Force. Even stars burn out?.?

A hard lesson indeed, but one that is essential in order to gain wisdom.

=D=

16. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow! These last few posts were awesome. Loved the "Had this been recorded in the Jedi Archives..." part, as well as Kaine's reaction to the destruction of Migruna. The two warriors parting ways at the end was especially poignant...almost reminded me of those old westerns. Everything fits so perfectly together so far...looking forward to seeing how you end this.

17. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I can't believe I missed so much! I was so busy with school and I'm sorry Sounderwan for not responding earlier. After reading the four updates that I missed yesterday, I was in total awe. The scenes on the battlestation were written extremely well, especially the flashbacks to Yoda's experiences with his master, and I enjoyed every moment from the epic fight between the two lovers, Yoda and Rizza, to the final departure of Kaine and Yoda. The fight and the destruction of Migruna was very emotional and I could see how affected Yoda was, and even Kaine. After Rizza was killed and Yoda faced a difficult decision and chose to let Kaine and himself go their separate ways, it was obvious to me that your story will have a profound connection with the Star Wars Saga and Fall of the Sith. I am wondering how Darth Plagieus and Darth Sidious will come into the picture and what role Kaine's descendents will play as possible Sith in the future. Maybe we already know someone related to him. Mace - maybe, but why would he become a Jedi? [face_thinking] It is also obvious that these events changed Yoda and will make him into the character we all love, but I think his choice will haunt him for the rest of his life, especially when the Sith come back in Episode I and when he is forced to hide on Dagobah from the Sith. I can't wait to find out more about how this story will be tied in with the others and I think you have done a fabulous job so far. =D=

18. Darth_Vastor

Darth_Vastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    He had planned to kill her. Despite the overwhelming sense of calm that had overcome him before facing her, the darkness had erupted the moment the weapon fired on Migruna. Each death had been an individual outcry in the Force.

So ... I see was little too optimistic about Migruna III. Yoda couldn't save it after all. That aside, I love how you convey the deep connection that Yoda has with his people. To know exactly how many people died shows how attuned he really is to life and to the Force.

And he was just.

No. It had been wrong.

Yoda whispered silent thanks to the Force for the timely communication from Kaine. The irony of owing his soul to a Sith was not lost on him.

I like that Yoda still struggles with the darkness ... as he probably will till the end of his life. And yes, the irony is rather potent. ;)

[face_laugh] They've both got a point there. Good and evil really are just extensions of our perceptions. Kaine has every bit as much reason to distrust the Jedi as Yoda does the Sith.

Stretching out with the Force, he could feel the distortion in the planet. It was being shaken at its very core. The orbit was wrong. It was?No!

It was dying!

He had failed.

?Yoda,? Rimassiss had said. ?All things die. That is the way of things. The way of the Force. Even stars burn out?.?

Yoda wept.

Brilliant use of the ROTS novelization there. I can't think of a more significant line than that one for this particular passage. This has to be one of the most powerful chapters in the story.

Great post as always, Souderwan! I'd be very glad if you could add me to the PM list. It might be a little late for this story, but I know I don't want to miss any of your writing in the future!

19. Art_Of_War

Art_Of_War Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2005
    Fantastic post as usual Souderwan. =D=

A great passage that truthfully reflects one of the motifs that you've been seeding throughout the WIP. In that those who are gifted with great power are the most tempted to use their gifts for evil out of a sense for justice.

I also must heartily agree with Geo3's analysis on the parallels between Yoda and Kaine as they both go on their respective paths, both becoming progenitors of the people who decide the fate of the galaxy once and for all...

Yoda to Dooku, Dooku to Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan to Anakin...

Kaine to sons, Unknown master to Plaguies, Plaguies to Palpatine, Palpatine to Maul & Tyrannus, and Palpatine to Salus ....

And then you go on and tie in Yoda's Story once more with Anakin's...

"Even stars burn out..."

The circle is almost complete.

Good luck with the next update.

20. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    A little confused because I?d thought that Kaine had deliberately interrupted to prevent Yoda from striking Rizza down and taking her place, but other readers are commenting on the irony of the interruption (taking the same interpretation as Yoda himself does). Shows what a good writer Sounderwan is that his words can allow different interpretation of character intent and so give room for discussion.

Liked how Yoda was taking refuge from his thoughts in the pain.

Loved Yoda?s thoughts about whether killing Rizza was justified or not. She was a threat, her crimes warranted a death sentence, but striking her down in anger would be of the Dark Side as the justice of the execution would be secondary to the personal revenge.

Liked how calm Kaine was about facing Yoda. Knowing that you have an enemy who can defeat you approaching would be a message to some people to run away, and preferably destroy all other ships and escape pods before you do. Kaine on the other hand takes the longer view of taking a chance for future gain.
    Could be interpreted in a way as to why the Sith did eventually come so close to success. Yoda is concerned with where he is, what he is doing. Kaine though, like Luke, looks away to the future.

?Destroy your children, the Jedi can.? ?really? The Sins of the Fathers visited on the sons and daughters? Does make it seem much fairer that the children and relatives of Jedi should also be purged by the Empire, and slightly fairer that Vader should kill younglings.

Liked the explanation of why these events are not well known and why the Sith waited so long to destroy the Jedi.

Enjoyed Kaine?s confusion, makes me wonder if he had already realised that Migruna III was doomed. He knew that the planet would not survive the impact, that the shockwave from destroying a continent would shake the planet apart, tectonic boundaries would shift and release long contained energy as massive quakes, volcanoes erupt as old channels were unblocked and new ones created for their magma?
    So promising to never approach Migruna III again or mention her to anyone would be quite an easy promise to make.

Actually that makes me wonder if Kaine was suffering from Sith arrogance. Even if a bomb could not be rigged up on the ship he was giving Yoda he could have reprogrammed the navicomputer to fly Yoda into a star or black hole (which would end his trip real quick, since travelling through hyperspace isn?t like dusting crops :p).
    But he let Yoda survive so he could live with his failure and the pain of knowing he had not saved his homeworld despite all his efforts and the sacrifices he had made.

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Author?s note: It?s my favorite time of the week. Friday!! It also happens to be Good Friday for those of you who observe it. I have had a miserable week but your responses have really made a big difference. Thanks again, most wonderful and discerning readers!!

The last chapter of the story proper is written and is nestled comfortably in the inbox of GrandAdmiralV [:D]. In the meantime, As a reminder, there will be a series of vignettes that will follow but they will all be posted here. There should be one a week for maybe a total of 8 (that?s 2 more months! :eek: [face_thinking] Maybe I?ll cut that down to fewer vignettes?.)

Now?on to replies! :D

Noelie: *places the first post award around her neck* Thanks for stopping by!! :)

Oh man, all things do die, but Hey.. I think the Jedi still need to have some serious lessons on Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

*chuckle* Yeah?I think some bereavement training might be in order.

GrandAdmiralV: I love compromises. I love the fact that Yoda had to accept the fact that it was better to let Kaine go and achieve some sort of détente rather than go for an all-or-nothing solution to the Sith problem.

I?m really happy to hear that. I think this resolution was inevitable. Yoda?s wisdom is a commodity on which the Jedi rely on (to their detriment in the end, imnsho) and he certainly seems to believe his knowledge must not be lost. Alas, he is now forced to spend the next few hundred years training the Jedi for a war they don?t even know they are going to fight?.

I wonder how Kaine would feel if he knew that it was his inadvertent intervention that kept Yoda from completely slipping into it.

And I wonder if Kaine did not do it entirely on purpose?

Of course, that would only lead one to wonder why he would do that. :p

I'm guessing that that one shot from the super-laser was enough to disturb its orbit...or something like that.

It turns out that planetary orbits are rather susceptible to powerful barrages. It is believed that the Earth?s orbit shifted millions of years ago from comet impacts and Migruna III is smaller than Earth. The momentum imparted on the planet by the focused particle beam would be as substantial as a large comet. What?s more, superheating a planet?s core (the mechanism by which a super-laser would cause the planet to explode) would cause the rotational energy of the core to be disturbed. That would change the gravitational potential of the planet ever so slightly but that would be enough to cause the planet?s orbit to shift. That being said, a shift in an orbit does not destroy a planet. It does, however, cause some serious problems (see next chapter).

Talon_Kenobi: I loved how you explained why Yoda needs his cane...or is Kaine.

[face_laugh] That?s so awesome! When I was coming up with Kaine?s name, I honestly giggled at the accidental play on words, given that I knew Yoda would come to accept Kaine?s offer around the time that he would need a cane. I honestly never expected anyone to giggle with me!! [:D] You just made my whole week!!

I guess it explains why we have all these powerful Jedi 4000 years before the movies then we don't hear anything about powerful Jedi until just before the PT. I guess Yoda has been training. Although we know that only like 3 Jedi from the PT can deal with the Sith...and heck one becomes a Sith

Yes. I did a little research on lightsaber ?styles? (I?ll share my thoughts on the whole ?style? thing some day) and discovered to my delight that the Jedi had become complacent, relying heavily on Form VI which is a defensive style, not particularly suited for dueling but great for deflecting blaster fire and the like. The Jedi did not consider dueling to be a necessary skill to have. Then I looked at the exceptions?Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, Dooku (though he turned) and ultimately Anakin. See any connections? (True, we don?t really know who Mace?s master was but you can bet Yoda had a ha

22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Genesis~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darth Frigeus leaned back into the plush pilot?s chair, his fingers steepled and resting against his lips. He stared out the viewscreen, marveling at the roiling blue-white clouds that swirled about the ship in hyperspace. It occurred to him that he had never truly appreciated the beauty that surrounded the ship, despite his numerous jaunts from one location to another. As he considered it further, he realized that he had hardly even noticed beauty in anything throughout his life, let alone learned to truly appreciate it.

Migruna III had been beautiful, he decided.

It was an odd thing to notice suddenly, considering the hand he had played in its demise, but there it was. He found he could not shake the feeling of loss he had experienced. What was worse, he seemed particularly preoccupied by the death of the leader of the Tribal Council, Gandol.

Kaine sighed.

Very odd, indeed. Leaning forward, Kaine disengaged the hyperspace engines, relishing the distorting sensation as the ship reverted to real space. Kaine admired the white streaks of light as they resolved into tiny pinpricks within the black curtain of space.

You should never have made that deal?

Kaine creased his brow in confusion, trying to grasp where the stray thought had come from. The agreement was necessary. The Sith would survive, and the Jedi would not know of their existence until the Sith chose to reveal themselves. All that he had to give in return was a promise to keep the Sith away from the Jedi as long as he could and to not rebuild his battle station. Those promises were simple enough.

Yoda had not taken the long view. The station had served its purpose. With the designs for the weapon intact and enough cadrinium to build several larger versions on hand, rebuilding the station was no longer a priority. And now was not the time for the Sith to go after the Jedi again.

But we lost?

Kaine shook his head.

No.

They had not lost.

They had won in the most unimaginable way. The Sith finally had the key to defeating the Jedi. Corrupt the Jedi from within. The political influences were already in place with the lobbying he had done to ensure the Jedi were funded?and overseen?by the Republic Senate. Seducing their best and brightest would be next. One or two would work. But more would be better. If enough Jedi were drawn to the dark side of the Force, the cracks in the Jedi Order?s armor would finally begin to show.

But Yoda did not turn?

No. He had turned. Somehow something had pulled him away, but the fact that he had succumbed to the dark was not in dispute. Yoda had accepted the power the dark side had to offer, forgoing his love of the Jedi for?what? A planet? Love?

No?

Fear?

Yes.

Yoda had surrendered to the darkness because he was afraid. That was what must be exploited. Fear of loss. The Order?s fear of the loss of its Jedi to the dark side would be its undoing.

While the Jedi Order struggled to keep its precious Jedi in the light, the Sith would ensure the birth of the Sith?ari. Somewhere remote, far away from the prying eyes of the Seekers. And when the Sith?ari was ready, the Sith would lay claim to the entire Galaxy.

Kaine smiled.

Yes?

Kaine nodded.

Yes.

The stars continued to shine?.

The twin suns continued to burn?.

The engines continued to hum?.

Migruna III continued to turn.

High above the tiny planet, the damage was impossible to see.

The tears had ebbed hours before. They had dried, untouched, against his leathery skin. Tiny crystals of salt were left in their wake, embedded within the multitudinous wrinkles that marked the centuries of life behind him. The eyes that birthed them were no longer red and swollen. Instead, they peered out at the planet in?acceptance.

Yoda released a breath that he had held far longer than he had realized. An hour earlier, the last of the escape ships had leap

23. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Kaine doesn't realize what's in his head yet.....

Ah, so Yoda's relations with the Wookies begins.....

And yes, lying thru honesty, Machiavellian, appropriate for the Sith.

24. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Yeah I wonder if Rizza will get into his head. I guess he has too...to make the sequal make sense

25. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Great post Sounderwan! I really enjoyed how you ended the narrative part of the story, tying up loose ends and explaining more things that we are used to seeing in the Star Wars Saga. I liked that Kaine was asking himself questions and reflecting back on his decision, which was his only option to ensure the survival of the Sith. He realized:

They had won in the most unimaginable way. The Sith finally had the key to defeating the Jedi. Corrupt the Jedi from within. The political influences were already in place with the lobbying he had done to ensure the Jedi were funded?and overseen?by the Republic Senate. Seducing their best and brightest would be next. One or two would work. But more would be better. If enough Jedi were drawn to the dark side of the Force, the cracks in the Jedi Order?s armor would finally begin to show.

Finally Kaine realized what he had to do to make the Sith the dominant force in the galaxy and how he could destroy the Jedi, through politics. He also noticed that the Jedi Order's fear of losing Jedi to the dark side would be their undoing after he remembered that Yoda had surrendered to the darkness because he was afraid. Excellent job Sounderwan because Kaine's discoveries would soon become a reality when Sidious takes the title of emperor and declares Order 66 (or when Mace takes the title of emperor in Fall of the Sith). At last the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace....

Yoda also had a revelation and became exactly how he was in Episode I, strongly believing that a Jedi should have no attachments and that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. When Yoda realizes this and changes his beliefs, it is obvious that it will have a deep effect on the Jedi Order and be central to the conflict Anakin faces in the Prequel Trilogy:

No. The Jedi were his home. Attachments to physical places would only bring heartache and pain. Attachment to people only risks fear of losing them. It was fear, after all, that led him down the dark path.

After Yoda's struggle onboard his vessel and he saw yet again that treachery is the way of the Sith (Kaine being honest in way that deceived Yoda), he crash lands on Kashyyyk and his good wookiee relations begin, Yoda first uses his walking stick, and meets Tartful. Once again, the Yoda's characteristics in the Saga are first being seen.

Fantastic job Sounderwan! You have truly evolved Yoda from the rebel we met at the beginning to the Yoda at the end, who we all know and love. This transformation was done extremely well and because of the traumatic events Yoda experienced, it was completely believable and enjoyable to read. You have also explained why the Sith began to work in the shadows and worked at the Jedi's weaknesses until the Order fell in the Star Wars movies. Now, I can't wait to read your closing vignettes so that this connection to the films and your other fanfic is even clearer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.