main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Describe the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by yodaman, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    How would you describe the Force? How do you think Lucas views and has presented the Force in these films? What is it? Where does it come from? What is it made out of? Is it conscious? I'd like to hear from you what it is.

2. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I think George descibes it best:

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power - his strength flows from it. It's an energy field - life creates it, makes it grow. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.
    Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force. We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians, and without them, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you.
    But beware of the Dark Side. Anger...fear...aggression. The Dark Side of the Force
    are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will. It is not stronger, but it is quicker, easier, more seductive.
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

[face_mischief]

3. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I don't think the Force is conscious - I think it's a spiritual idea based on humanity and nature and the beauty and power of those things. I don't think it's like a God that creates and judges things, and I think the best explanation is given by Yoda - "Life creates it ... makes it grow." For me, personally, as a humanist, I see it as the manifestation of the goodness of the living world, and it's power. I don't see spiritualism and mysticism as confined to organised religion or worshipping a God - I think it's something we naturally feel as human beings, morals are something that come from humanity, and that's how I see the Force - a metaphor for all that's good in the living world. I think that elements of it are found in religions, as George Lucas has said, since he based it on ideals common to all religions ... but I don't think the ideas behind it are exclusive to organised religion, and as a humanist, I find it very inspiring.

4. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002

A long, LONG time ago in a galaxy far, far away simple forms of life started to grow. The midichlorians bonded with the cells, and together they both survived and became powerful.

The symbiotic relationship between cells and midchlorians releases energy, and it also receives energy. As lifeforms grew and spread so did the energy they released and were felt by.

Soon it became an energy field that grew to encompass the ENTIRE galaxy.

After billions of years of evolution, complex and intelligent lifeforms became aware of the Force.

By training and focusing their mind they learned that they could control the energy they released to manipulate others' lifeforms and the environement, and also learned from and learned to sense other things including lifeforms since midichlorians are also touched by the Force when energy is received.

These lifeforms became the Jedi, and they acted out of COMPASSION, and achieved a state between emotion and ration, desire and acceptance, action and peace.

But the Jedi eventually lsot this delicate balance in themselves, anc concentrated more on the rational-thinking, acceptance, and peace. If they foresaw the future they accepted it as fact and became too arrogant in their abilities.

Some Jedi then rebelled after the Order lost this balance, but were unbalanaced also, more to the emotional, action ,and desiring side though. THese became the Sith.

The saga is basically about how we should deal with our emotions, which comes from being separated from what we love. Finding the balance between what we should accept and what we should try and change. Being compassionate to others, accepting that you are NOT the center of the universe, but you can still help and your choices can have important consequences.

The Jedi serve the government, and are not compassionate, as we see in TPM the boundaries of the Republic are the boundaries of the Jedi's influence. The Outer Rim is forgotten by the Senate and the Republic, they even ignored the Naboo crisis, and corporations like McDonalds are part of the government. That is how Count Dooku so easily starts the Confederacy, because the outer rim planets that join it are planets like Tattoine that are ignored by the Republic and the Jedi. The Jedi should have never become part of the corrupt government, which became corrupt when corporations started to join the Senate and become equal in ploitical power to planets. That is how the Sith destroy the Jedi, by taking advantage of this corrupt system.

The problem of the Jedi increased by the PT, which is that they accept too much and don't always act. They accepted the fate of Anakin as being hidden and dangerous at first, and later his ultimate destiny, instead of acting "HERE AND NOW" to train him the right way. They forsee something, it's set in stone to them, so they just sit back and wait for it to happen, calling it destiny and not their fault. They rely on their precognition, and the Sith basically destroy it by clouding the future. Forseeing te future is what the Jedi relied on, so after it was taken away that is why they fell. They distance themselves from emotions and attachments, the things that make us human. They have a false idea that their philosophy is "superior".

The problem of the Sith is that they don't accept anything, and always try to change things. They are attached to the physical world, so are afraid of matters of the physical world like distant separation and death. They don't understand thet life is truly just "the Force", and there is no separation in it. Because of their attachments and their fears the Sith desire to control the entire universe, for there to be no resistance to their selfish and greedy will. They believe that they are "superior", and only they deserve no suffering or death, which they try to do by controlling the universe. They let their emotions control them. They refuse to die and pass on their knowledge because they can't accept that nothing is eternal.

Death, in the STAR WARS galaxy, is the identity becoming detached to its b

5. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    The New Republic would probably have a lesser chance of becoming currupt if, say, Bothawui had been destroyed instead of Alderaan.

6. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    The force is an energy field. It surrounds, it penetrates us, it binds us all together.

7. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Its the binding matter of their Galaxy.

8. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Nice post, ben_07.

9. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    If we are to believe Lucas in that the balance is brought about with the destruction of Sidious, then how is it that an energy field can be put out of balance by the presence of the Sith?

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Because said energy field is inherently *good*. Sidious is inherently *evil*.

I don't think the Force has a simple biological explanation-how would that be spoke of as having a will?

"I have no doubt it was the will of the Force."

~Qui-Gon Jinn.

11. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Yoda discribes it perfectly in ESB.

12. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    What Yoda describes is perfect because it's so...vague. And there are so many components of the Force not actually touched on. How do midichlorians fit in to what Yoda says? What the Living and Unified Force? What about disappearing Jedi and ghosts? Can we be more specific on what the actual entity of the Force is and how it can encompass all these strange qualities yet still remain consistent in its nature? And why is symbiosis so important in all of this?

13. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't think you can truly describe the Force. The amount of energy that is in it is like trying to describe or comprehend the meaning of life. The Force is an energy that binds the galaxy together, whether it is used for good or bad it is there to eventually bring some kind of banlance to the Galaxy.

14. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002

The Sith bend and distort the Force-energy by using the darkside. Receiving its power but not giving it up. They are like vacuums, black holes in the Force.

15. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    That's a good way of looking at the Sith with them always all in Black, being like a Black Hole. The Sith are selfish and only use the force for their own personal gain.

16. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    I agree with the Sith being selfish and using the Force for their own needs, but I'm sure if I agree with the vacuum or black hole idea. Maybe it's not so much the Sith's ability to destroy, tear down, and take away, but more their inability to create and let live.

17. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    Two words: Over-Soul.

18. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

I agree with ben_07

19. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    To me the Force is like what I know as "Chi".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.