main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Desperately seeking Disco!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by El Kabong, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    So a friend of mine, as a joke, got me Rhino's "Disco Box", filled with all the white man afros and bell bottoms than one man can stand. Much to his shock (and my delight), I find myself really enjoying the offerings within. Most of these I haven?t heard in years, but it's got some pretty good stuff in there. (Van McCoy's "the Hustle" not withstanding. :) )

Anyways we were reminiscing over this blast from the past, a memory crept up from the back of my brain - what ever happened to the Star Wars Disco album? It's a natural - cheesy fun music married with the 800 pound gorilla of the 70s? It's like peanut butter and chocolate!

I remember I had a black album with a teal vaguely star wars logo on it, done by the Electric Moog Orchestra. Cant remember if it were any good or not, though. Was this ever released on CD? I expect the odds of me getting my hands on my old vinyl are slim to none, I bet. Time has not been kind to my ancient record collection - if I knew where it was at all.

A quick trip to CD Universe shows a handful of the Star Wars disco on CD. Of the compilations out there, which one is the most "complete", I guess. Which one is the gold, which ones are the dogs?

Beyond the Moog and the Meco, was there anything else that surfaced? I'd love to get my mitts on all of it.

2. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    There was also a new version of the Star Wars Disco theme in Star Wars: Lego, the video game, which is easy to rip if you own the game...

3. I_Heart_Han_Solo

I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    The iTunes music store has some Meco tracks.

In particular, Meco has done a really cool mix called "Star Wars Love Themes."

Picture this: Leia calling Han a scoundrel set to disco-esque music!

"Heart"

4. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I downloaded the entire fifteen-minute suite off Napster about seven years ago. Still have it, heh. I heard even more Star Wars disco material in "A Star Wars Experience," one of the edited "bonus tracks" from the Ewoks bootleg.

5. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I loved the Meco Menardo Star Wars Tracks. Especially his re-working of the Themes from ANH. The Throne Room/Finale is to me the most sacred of Star Wars Themes, and not to be screwed with. And I have to say the Menardo's version was rather tastefull.
    I would go with buying the Album titled:

THE BEST OF MECO

It has Star Wars and it's companion Other Galactic Funk. As well as Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Off To See The Wizard, Can You Read My Mind, Imperial March/Yoda's Theme, Star Trek The Motion Picture Theme, and Main Title/Cantina Band among other bits. It's wll worth the price IMHO. And for the most part, Thank G-d, the music is well done. And not insulting, for lack of a better term, to their original versions. Especially Can You Read My Mind from Superman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.