main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Desperation (NJO J/J fic; UPDATED!! 3/21... yes, that's 3/21 2005!!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by StormKnight, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormKnight

StormKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2001
    Desperation

Timeframe: NJO
    Plot: Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel take on the Yuuzhan Vong while learning about themselves in the process.

Consider this an anonymously published story. I did not write it, but I'll be posting it and being the intermediary between the author and the adoring public.

Without further chatter from me,

*~*~*~*

This is an AU Jaina/Jag fic, beginning somewhere along the storyline of Rebel Dream. I've *borrowed* certain details, especially at the beginning, from Aaron Allston, so I give credit for all the good stuff to him. The rest is my own sad attempt at writing NJO. :D

*~*~*~*

"Break left, goddess."

Jaina Solo responded instinctively to the command over her comm, twisting her stick sideways and sending her X-wing into a sharp turn. A burst of plasma shot by her starboard wing.

"Thank you, Jedi Master." Her X-wing rolled back over and continued along its path, laser cannons spitting fire at the coralskippers that danced around Twin Suns Squadron. Behind her, Kyp Durron's X-wing, as well as an Imperial clawcraft piloted by Jagged Fel, dropped back into neat formation.

"Twin Suns, this is your goddess. One flight is headed for the frigate." Clicks over the comm acknowledged her order, and her flight group darted toward the frigate at the edge of the melee.

"Running interference for you, Lead." More Twin Suns starfighters danced around in her field of vision, turning skips into burning coral. Jaina and her flight continued on an intercept course, headed for the mass of living rock that loomed ahead. Their lasers strafed the surface of the frigate, mostly absorbed by the dovin basals that opened up to swallow the red beams. They looped around, dodging the plasma that the frigate belched out at their tiny starfighters.

"Jedi Master, you have lead," Jaina said.

"Acknowledged, goddess, launching initial torpedoes... now." A pair of blue streaks shot out of Kyp's X-wing, headed right into a yawning black hole in the frigate's side. As the Jedi Master's torpedoes approached their target, Jaina and Jag each fired a pair of follow-up torpedoes, situated along a line slightly higher than Kyp's had been.

"Kyp, detonate on my mark. Three, two, one, mark." Jaina and her wingmates looped around again, in time to watch Kyp's torpedoes detonate right before they were swallowed, releasing more energy than the dovin basal could absorb at one time. The artificial gravity well collapsed for a moment, leaving a portion of the frigate unprotected as the second and third pairs of torpedoes slammed into its side, a ball of fire blossoming out. The yorik coral shuddered under the impact, atmosphere venting out into the void of space.

"Two and three flight here to finish the job, Lead." The other X-wings moved in to finish the crippled ship, accompanied by various E-wings. Volley after volley of laser-fire chewed away at the remaining exposed coral, accompanied by the occasional torpedo.

A new voice crackled over the comm. "Twin Suns, this is Control. Mission accomplished, you may return to base."

"Acknowledged, Control. Twin Suns, good work, return to Borleias." The Yuuzhan Vong frigate exploded brilliantly as Jaina and her squadron descended into the atmosphere of Borleias, home of the new Rebel Alliance.

2. Jedi-Princess-Solo

Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    Great start so far ;)

3. tendra_217

tendra_217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Nice start.

4. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great start! :D

Saber

5. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Great beginning! Looking forward to seeing where this is going! :D

6. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    a most interesting start !

the Admiral

7. Rogue11JS

Rogue11JS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Great Loved it!!!

8. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey, gang, thanks for all the support; I know the author appreciates it.

The story definitely picks up with this post, in my opinion.

Desperation, part two:

*~*~*~*

Author?s note: I am reading this, although I can?t post, so feel free to make comments to me. Also, one more thing: Storm is too modest. He doesn?t just post this story, he beta reads it, and is absolutely wonderful. Complains about everything I write and makes countless corrections, but wonderful nevertheless. A big thanks to Storm.

*~*~*~*

The pilots lounge ? a redecorated information center ? was moderately full, with Twin Suns pilots drinking to their latest victory and other miscellaneous pilots milling around. Conversations were generally quiet, punctuated by occasional laughter. Circular tables were scattered in random patterns around the mid-sized room, and the pilots downed glasses of mediocre quality ale and whiskey. Everything about the pilots lounge, Jaina concluded, was unremarkably mundane ? except for the pilots.

The pilots were all extraordinary. She felt a little stab of pride as she glanced around the drab room. Different species and genders were represented, but they all shared two things: dedication to cause they fought for, and a love for flying. She saw members of her squadron discussing their latest encounter with the Vong, waving their hands excitedly to describe individual dogfights and tactics.

After her uncle had given her command of the squadron, there had been precious little time ? or desire, she admitted ? to get to know her pilots. Twin Suns Two, Jedi Master Kyp Durron, sitting on a couch opposite her, was already well known to her. Twin Suns Four, Mik Lei, was engaged in a conversation with her wingmate Gev Andorja, Twin Suns Five. The two, as far as Jaina could tell, got along famously. Twin Suns Six and Eleven, Nekke Thal and Tilath Keer, were out on foot patrol in the jungle, a duty occasionally required of pilots who were groundside. Twin Suns Seven was, like herself, Corellian: Storm Indrews was quick to smile, and even quicker to play practical jokes. He had an ego worthy of the Corellian pilot tradition, but his skills lived up to his boasting. At that moment, Storm happened to be trying to entertain Zindra Daine, a human female from Alderaan who flew as Twin Suns Eight.

Emphasis on ?trying,? thought Jaina with a smirk. Zindra, a pretty woman with dark brown hair and an attractive figure, seemed content to ignore Storm?s antics. There were three spots on the Twin Suns roster ? nine, ten, and twelve ? that weren?t filled by any specific pilot. The command structure of the squadron had shifted dramatically when she acquired it, and it had been a few weeks before they put together the roster they currently had. They had four or five semi-regular pilots that practiced with them occasionally in the empty roster spots, but those pilots were often off serving in other missions.

Note to self, thought Jaina worriedly. Ask Wedge to find me permanent pilots.

And then there was Twin Suns Three. Colonel Jagged Fel, arrogant, Imperial, and a brilliant pilot. Killer good looks. Arrogant. Detached. Arrogant. Physically impressive. Arrogant. Cold. Arrogant. Oh, did I mention arrogant?

Jaina frowned slightly. She didn?t try to deny it to herself ? she had a Death Star-sized crush on Jag. But it was just a crush ? it would pass in time. I hope. Since he?s so cold and condescending. Not to mention arrogant.

?Who?s arrogant?? Kyp asked, interrupting her reverie.

?Ehhm?? Jaina frowned and blushed furiously. Sitting next to a Jedi Master warranted watching her thoughts closely. ?No one in particular.?

Jag didn?t often join the pilots in the lounge ? he seemed to put himself above such things. He did, on occasion, on Jaina?s order, deign to join them, because she believed that pilots who were more closely knit would fly better together. Of course, when Jag made his brief appearances in the pilot?s lounge, he didn?t get closer to anyone. And h

9. tendra_217

tendra_217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Good post. It is nice to see the intro of some of the twin suns pilots.

10. Leah-Beth

Leah-Beth Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Wow, good story so far! :D I'm looking forward to where you go with this!

11. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Cool. another yet J/J fic. dont yah just love them. impossible man. impossible woman. I wonder if . . . nah classic, classic. i want more.

12. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I liked the bit from the Yuuzhan Vong's point of view, no one seems to do that. The characterizations are good too!

13. RangerPrincess

RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002

Two words that get to the point:

Post soon :p

14. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Thanks for the feedback, I know the author appreciates it. Another post will probably be coming soon, within the next couple days.

15. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Whoops, forgot to add the customary disclaimer at the beginning: Star Wars and everything associated with it belongs to the Great Flannelled One. No money is being made from this story, and no infringement is intended, etc. etc. However, if you want to post this story somewhere else, please let me know first.

Anyway? thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

*~*~*~*

The conference room was small, but well-lit and clear of any listening devices. The inner circle of the Resistance was grouped around various charts and tables, discussing strategy. Wedge Antilles was positioned at the head of the table, with Iella by his side.

?Operation Aggressive Exodus: preparation for abandoning Borleias,? he announced, pointing at an illuminated blip on one of the charts. The map zoomed into that sector, showing green-and-blue world not unlike Borleias. ?This is Yeltha III. It?s on the outer edge of the Vong occupation, has just about the same strategic value as our current position. Except it can be a kick in the teeth to the Vong when we give them Borleias easily, then take Yeltha instead. When the anticipated Vong offensive against Borleias comes, we?ll evacuate to Yeltha, arriving very much in the same way we arrived here; it?s lightly defended, so we?ll assault it, then settle down.? Wedge gestured at Iella. ?My wife will be organizing the ground strike. A more thorough briefing and tactics discussion will follow soon, but make sure your forces are ready to go at a moment?s notice. We anticipate a Vong offensive here within two weeks. Any questions??

Luke?s voice asked quietly, ?What kind of resistance do we expect??

?Moderate, at best. In terms of the battle in space, I?m going to let Jaina coordinate that, although I?ll definitely be looking over her shoulder. We?re still looking for ways to push the psychological front of the war, and that means Jaina?s ideas are most important. On the ground, there is a small Vong base, spread out over one square kilometer. If the attack fails, however unlikely that may be, we?ll just jump into hyperspace and have temporary fleet headquarters, like we did before the strike at Endor.? Wedge offered a little smile. ?I know all of you are dying to fight the Vong, just as eager as we were to fight the Empire.?

A sarcastic voice chimed in, ?When we were very, very young.? Scattered chuckles broke outs at Han Solo?s dry remark.

Wedge nodded, a twinkle in his eye. ?Some of us were very young. But the new generation has risen up to defend their galaxy, and we old people have to give them some elbow room. If there?s no more questions, you all can go back to whatever you were doing."

The little room blossomed into conversations on various topics as people filed into the corridor outside. As Jaina was about to join them, she heard Wedge's voice. "Jaina, a moment please.?

Jaina shouldered her way over to Wedge, wondering what he wanted to discuss with her. When the room was empty except for him and her, Wedge spoke.

?Are you familiar with Wraith Squadron??

?From a purely historical standpoint, sure,? Jaina shrugged. ?I know as much as the next guy.?

?Never interacted with them on a personal level??

?Nope.?

?I?m assigning a pair of Wraiths to you. You may find their personalities somewhat? overbearing at first, but I assure you they are charming in their own unique way.?

Jaina nodded, uncertain as to what purpose the Wraiths were supposed to serve. ?And??

?And, they will help you wage your psychological war on the Yuuzhan Vong. The Wraiths specialize in intelligence gathering, special ops, and torturing their commanding officers. They?re also pilots, so they can fly in Twin Suns with you.?

?This goddess thing is a pain,? grumbled Jaina. ?Now I can?t just think up ways to kill the Yuuzhan Vong, I have to think up ways that will make me seem like Yun-Harla.?

?Lieutenant, if you were anyone else, if you had any less Solo in your blood, we wouldn?t be able to use this opportunity to our full advantage. But because you are who you are,

16. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    This is very good. Jaina's character is dead on. Keep up the excellent work. :D

17. Leah-Beth

Jun 6, 2002
    Wow, good job. Jag seems a little too arrogant, but, hey, that's what you have an artistic license for. :p Anyways, I'm looking forward to more! :D

18. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Jag sounds like my ex . . . actually I oh never mind. Jaina and Jag's characters are so right on its scary. good job and keep posting!

19. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
  20. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
  21. RangerPrincess

RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
  22. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey, all, keep the love comin, you know you love it!

From the author:

*~*~*~*

Jag?s extreme arrogance is written with purpose? :)

*~*~*~*

?Great One??

Jaina started at the sudden voice, almost dropping the datapad she was reading. The speaker was a slightly-taller-than-average human male, with shaggy off-white hair. He saluted. She stood, returned the salute, sat back down, and raised her eyebrows inquisitively at him. ?Don?t call me that, but is there anything I can do for you??

?Oh, I have to call you that, goddess.? The man smiled obligingly and sat cross-legged at her feet, startling Jaina further. ?My name is Sharr Latt. One of the Wraiths General Antilles promised you.?

?Oh. I?m supposed to discuss psychological warfare with you, right?? Her confusion did not go away, although Sharr nodded an affirmative. ?And you?re sitting at my feet because??

?Because you?re a goddess.? The man?s head tipped slightly and gave her a ridiculously comic smile.

Jaina sighed. ?Of course I am. Really, please don?t treat me like this. It?s unnerving.?

The Wraith shook his head, his features becoming deadly serious. ?Listen to me, goddess,? he said, his voice dropping in volume as he leaned in slightly. ?The Yuuzhan Vong have spies everywhere. Part of this deal is that wherever you go now, whatever you do, you?re a goddess. If people know it?s just a trick, the Vong will find out, and we lose this advantage. But if you act like a snobby goddess even at base, the Vong will find out too, and they will be afraid. Got that? Starting now, you don?t associate with commoners, you don?t eat their food, you don?t fly their ships, and-? he gestured at the pilot?s lounge they were sitting in, ?You don?t hang out with them, period. Let?s go up top, I?ll introduce you to Wraith number two.?

Jaina paused a moment to let that filter through. ?People will hate me.?

Sharr turned back to his obliging smile. ?Yes, goddess.?

?I?ll hate myself.?

?You?ll be too busy to hate yourself. Let?s go.?

Jaina followed Sharr out, into a lift, and onto the roof of the building.

She tried to keep her jaw from dropping when she saw the Gamorrean gazing over the land below.

?You?re kidding,? she gasped. ?He?s a Wraith?? The stout-bodied, snout-nosed being grinned politely at her, revealing relatively white teeth set next to the tusks protruding from his mouth. Jaina blushed, realizing how rude she had sounded.

?Absolutely,? Sharr smiled. Turning to the Gamorrean, he raised an eyebrow. ?Forgetting your manners? Introduce yourself to the goddess.?

Jaina found it very difficult to conceal her surprise. Gamorreans, as a general principle, could understand Basic, but lacked vocal chords to speak it. This one, however, spoke with a deep, slightly mechanical voice.

?My name is Voort saBinring, goddess. But please call me Piggy.?

?Okay? Piggy. Mr. Sharr Latt here is tutoring me in psychological warfare. What do you do??

?Starfighter tactics.?

Jaina, finally adjusting to her strange companions, raised a skeptical eyebrow. ?You fly??

?I used to. X-wings, mostly. I flew with Wraith Squadron? I actually served your father in one campaign.?

?Ah. I think he told me about you once. I wasn?t quite sure whether or not to believe him. So you?re the Gamorrean-turned-fighter-pilot??

?In the flesh. Now, we?re going to do an absurd amount of hanging around you, because goddesses mingle with odd people. Us.? Piggy gestured at himself and Sharr Latt.

Jaina sighed. ?That?s okay, I don?t have friends anyway. Unless you count Kyp Durron.?

Sharr snapped his fingers. ?Kyp Durron. Of course. The Jedi Master, the world-slayer, destroyer of Carida.?

?Indeed. Absolutely necessary. Quite a picture. People would be shocked,? Piggy agreed. Jaina wasn?t sure what he was agreeing with, but before she could ask, Sharr and Piggy continued.

?A subordinate.?

?Carrying bags.?

?Polishing boots.?

?Serving food.?

Jaina finally broke in. ?Excuse me? What are you

23. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Another great post! I'll be wating for more. ;)

24. Leah-Beth

Jun 6, 2002
    Wonderful post. I can't wait to see where you take this!! :D

25. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    great story. can't wait for more! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.