main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Desperation (NJO J/J fic; UPDATED!! 3/21... yes, that's 3/21 2005!!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by StormKnight, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sticks220

Sticks220 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    This is such a great story. Can we please have a new post soon.

Sticks

2. Jedida

Jedida Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
  3. StormKnight

StormKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2001
    Post coming soon. Say, two or three days.

-iella

4. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    *~*~*~*

Go, go, go, Wedge silently bade the transport ships, as if his mental urgings could make them move faster. Every time a freighter reached hyperspace, he breathed a little easier ? although what they would encounter on the other side still worried him. With Tycho Celchu coordinating the capture of Yeltha, however, there was really no use in worrying. Tycho would do his best, and Tycho?s best was easily equivalent to what Wedge would have had to offer at that moment.

?The last of the medical equipment is on the Galaxy Light, now en route to Yeltha, General.?

?Very good, ensign. Carry on.? Wedge continued a mental countdown as the Yuuzhan Vong forces approached the blue-green planet.

?Two minutes,? he muttered quietly to himself. ?Two minutes and there will be no more control center on Borleias.?

The starfighter battle continued to edge toward the planet, the Resistance forces being driven into retreat by the masses of Vong skips. Wedge winced as green dots on the tactical map winked out, knowing that each moment, more good people were becoming casualties of this war.

A scattering of transports remained near Borleias, afraid to try and penetrate the cloud of fighting in the surrounding space. Wedge sighed ? more to worry about. The Mon Morra, the last Mon Cal cruiser that remained in the system, flashed into hyperspace, bound for Yeltha. Wedge

?Lieutenant Cavin, order the Lusankya to begin her cut through the perimeter of the Vong fleet, and tell all remaining freighters to follow her into hyperspace. It?s their last chance, we can?t stay much longer.?

?Yes sir.? The Lieutenant was silent for a moment after carrying out Wedge?s order. ?Sir, may I ask why you?re doing that??

Wedge smiled slightly, partially from approval of the young man?s curiosity and partially because he admitted that it was an odd tactical move ? it would appear so to even a more experienced field commander.

?Three reasons, Lieutenant. First, it?s a more direct route to the exit vector toward Yeltha. Second, it?s the sort of thing the Vong wouldn?t expect or be prepared for.? Wedge paused for a moment, thinking about that last statement. ?Well, at least we hope it?s the sort of thing they won?t expect,? he concluded with a shrug. ?Regardless, Lusankya can take a fair amount of punishment. She?ll reach Yeltha in good enough condition to aid in its capture, even though sending her through the Vong fleet might hurt a bit. Plus, there?s a good chance Captain Ireou will be able to take out a good portion of the Vong forces on his way out. That would be much more effective than a conventional response where we either wait for the end of the battle before leaving or try to skirt around the edge of the skirmish. Third, Lusankya is a big ship. The remaining freighters will be able to follow behind her and use her for added protection as they leave the system.?

?I see, sir.? Cavin turned back to his station. After a moment, he turned back. ?That?s very clever, sir.?

The corner of Wedge?s mouth twitched slightly as he suppressed a smile. ?Thank you, Lieutenant.?

The control center shuddered.

?Plasma impact on the surface, General.? Cavin looked up briefly from his post. ?Shall I order evacuation, sir??

?Yes,? Wedge said. ?All remaining personnel leave the planet now.?

Another flurry of activity assaulted the base as personnel abandoned their posts. Cavin was almost out the door when he turned back.

?Uh, sir? Aren?t you leaving, too??

Wedge tore his eyes from the tactical display, sparing Cavin a glance. ?I will, Lieutenant,? he mumbled, quickly returning to issuing final orders to the fighters above the planet.

?Uh, really, sir??

?Yes, really.? Wedge turned back to the comm unit. ?All hands, this is control, suggesting that you make for Yeltha as quickly as possible unless you have another assignment. The command center is being abandoned, you no longer have ground tactical support. Repeat, the command center has been abandoned. Control

5. Scorsa

Scorsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    Yay! An update! Very suspenseful and exciting....loved Jaina's entrance! Pure Solo style...
    And Wes was great too! Excellent post!

6. JainaJag00

JainaJag00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    i agree.... jaina was VERY solo like. go goddess! she better beat Tsavong Lah as well.....

7. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hey,
    Just found this..looks good so far..

:)
    up

8. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
  9. Jedida

Aug 3, 2002
    great post! :D

10. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Post by the end of the week, I promise. Thanks for being patient. :)

-iella

11. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Quick note by the author: just to reassure all of you guys, this is most definitely still a J/J fic. :)

*~*~*~*

Jaina could feel each heartbeat stretching into an eternity as she held her lightsaber at the warmaster's throat. If I kill him too quickly, the other warriors can attack me, and we?re all dead. But if I kill him too slowly, he?ll invariably find a way out of the situation. Her heart pounded once more. The surrounding warriors had uncertainty painted across their faces, not sure whether to rush to Lah's aid or wait for his orders ? or, for that matter, if any orders were ever going to come again. Another heartbeat. Waiting was excruciating. She hated waiting.

Lah growled, deep in his throat. The waiting was over.

"I see, goddess," he ground out. "Once again, you have slipped through all of our defenses and gained the upper hand."

She was about to reply with anger and fury, but bit it back. Yun Harla, not Jaina Solo, she reminded herself mentally. Calm and icy, goddess-like contemptuousness, not teenage fire.

"Is it any more than you would have expected, warmaster? To tell the truth, you rather disappointed me," she replied coolly, allowing a trace of disdain to creep into her voice. "From all I have seen of Yuuzhan Vong genius and courage, I would have expected a little more fight out of you."

Lah was decidedly uncomfortable. Understandable, considering the fact that he couldn't turn his head lest it be cut off. "Is it you we are fighting, goddess?" he asked coldly.

Yun Harla laughed - not an unpleasant sound, but filling the chamber with enough cold to freeze Tatooine. "I will leave you to figure that out yourself, warmaster," she taunted him, her voice wrapped in mockery and sarcasm. "Would I be Yun Harla if I told you all the answers?"

"If it is indeed you that we fight, then kill me and fight them, goddess. Why do you wait and hide behind me like a coward?" Lah smirked triumphantly at her, certain he had undermined the authenticity of her claim to be Yun Harla.

Her voice dropped to a whisper only he could hear. "Do you want me to call your bluff, warmaster?"

He stiffened visibly, and then forced himself to relax again. "Very well. I challenge you, Jaina Solo. Kill me in honorable combat. If you can," he added with a glare.

A smile graced the corners of her mouth for a moment. "Ah, warmaster. You are hasty to fight, as always. However, I accept your challenge."

She tried to ignore the mental screams from all of her companions. She?d bypassed her chance to accomplish their mission, and to keep the team together, where she?d have help. Instead, she was going to risk the mission and put herself in greater jeopardy.

"You have conditions, of course," she continued calmly, as if nothing had happened. "State them."

"Not many. You and your second, me and my second, just as the traditions of the Yuuzhan Vong dictate. The rest don't get involved. They are free to leave this compound and the planet, if they can get past our spacecraft. I will have your blood today, Solo. It is enough for me."

"It?s very uncharacteristic of you, warmaster, to not demand all the human ? sorry, infidel -
    blood you can." Jaina spat the words at him like the teenager that she was, frustrated with Lah?s insufferable arrogance, his twists and turns, and above all, his desperate desire to wipe out the Jedi.

His lips twisted into a sneer. "What is an infidel in exchange for a goddess?"

"I see." She shut off her lightsaber and shoved him away from her, eliciting another wave of protest from her companions. "I will need a moment."

"Of course," he said with mock deference. He had her in a diplomatic rancor?s nest, and they both knew it. It would take a goddess to make it out alive against the warmaster. The Force was useless against the Vong, and amphistaffs were more than a match for lightsabers. He was the warmaster, and she was a teenage girl. She was a good ? great ? pilot, but he was a warrior in strength, speed, reflex and attitude. N

12. JainaJag00

Aug 11, 2002
    ooooooh! that was REALLY good.... i loved the battle, and lah's last thoughts. so jaina DID become a goddess to them at the end huh? and im glad its still j/j!

13. Scorsa

Scorsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent battle! Loved Jaina's thoughts during it...
    And I agree, I'm quite glad we still have the j/j theme going ;)

14. Jedida

Aug 3, 2002
    awesome post! woohoo! tsavong lah is finally dead! :)

15. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    oooooooooooh! awesome postie! that was great!

16. Jedida

Aug 3, 2002
    ah! up! :D

17. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *********runs in screaming happily***************

IT"S STILL J/J!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Anyways, awesome posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. StormKnight

Jun 26, 2001
    Hi... it's me... *timid wave*

Yes, I'm still alive.

Yes, I'm still writing this story. It's just been rather hectic lately... what with AP tests, a drama production, SATs and finals... Once summer rolls around, though, (first week of June), I promise that I will be back full swing.

Yes, this is still J/J. Patience. ;)

19. JainaJag00

Aug 11, 2002
    awesome. i have finals then but ill look for posties after that!

20. Rogue11JS

Rogue11JS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I could have sworn i upd this last month.

Huh...

oh well, that was great!!!

Keep it up!

UPUPUUUPUUPUPUUUPUPUPUPPP!!!!!!!!

:D!

21. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Wow. This is really good. I just read it tonight. It's J/J? *dances around happily for hours* I was worried for a little while. Also Congrats. You had me actually believeing Jag was dead for a while. Now that I look back on it though I know he couldn't have been dead because that object was to capture Jaina not kill her. :D I know I'm smart you don't have to tell me. (Just so you know I am now acting like Jag for those many posts without him.) ;) New postie soon? It's summer. Pwease??? I'll keep checking back. :D

22. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Uppies!!! So more people can read this fic!!! A new postie soon?? The first week of June has come and gone. Pwease???

23. Rogue11JS

Rogue11JS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPPUUPUPUPUP

24. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Uppies!!! Postie soon??

25. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Uppies!!! Still no postie?? *pouts* I'm waiting as patiently as I can!!! Please!!!! Only one up per day unless there's a postie so I guess this is bye til tomorrow!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.