main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga ... Despite My Best Efforts ... [ Post-TPM, Updated - 2/4!!! ]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lorax, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorquellyn

Vorquellyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    Yoda whacked Luke with his stick so it's not out of character.
    six days... powerful vision that is

bungy jumping :)

2. Lorax

Lorax Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2003
    Two pages and two readers. *is in heaven*

Bungey jumpings quite fun actually. My dad brought home a harness a few years back, so my mom could use it as a prop in VBS. My brother and I hooked it up along the bridgeway that spanned our chruch's courtyard afterwards. Fun while it lasted... :)

Hmmm... a bond? Possible...

--------------

Renn awoke to see the short, slender, dark haired boy standing by his chair and watching him. A wave of relief hit him when he saw the clear grey eyes that he had been worried he wouldn't see again. He stretched and then smiled at Jax.

"Nice to see you up and about."

Jax just nodded and asked quietly, "Why'd you turn down a mission for me?" He winced at the way it came out sounding slightly accusing, but he felt he needed to know the answer. After all, it did involve him and the numerous explainations that kept popping to mind left him vastly curious. Renn seemed a little taken aback by the sudden question.

"How do you know I did?" He questioned.

"Master Yoda told me. You didn't answer my question. Why?"

Renn leaned back in the chair and put his hands behind his head creating a picture of indifference. Jax had obviously been up for a while and had some time to think about this. He grinned teasingly at the boy before answering his question with another question.

"Why do you think?"

"I don't know! You're a Jedi Knight and I'm not even a Padawan yet! What should I think?" Jax walked to the bed and sat down on it, pulling his knees up to his chest and resting his chin on them. The quizical expression on his face as he stared distantly at the wall showed that he had some ideas but had no idea which one was true, if any. Renn couldn't resist baiting Jax even further.

"Would you like to be a Padawan?"

Jax's head snapped up and he gaped at the man. Was he asking...? A tiny hint of laughter laced Renn's otherwise serious tone and he had to fight the urge to grin.

"Because I have another young friend who is also currently Master-less. You two should- Hey!" A pillow hit him full in the face and he threw it back toward the grinning boy on the bed. Jax caught it then held it in his lap, shaking his head and laughing.

"That was mean! I thought you were asking!" He said between giggles. The mirth was catching and Renn couldn't help breaking into laughter too. When they had both calmed down to the point of just occasional snickers Renn walked over to sit next to Jax. He put his arm around Jax's shoulders and felt the boy lean into the embrace.

"You're a great kid," Renn said, "But I don't feel like the time is right for me to take on a Padawan."

'you may tell your master youngling.... you must come....' Yeah, well, he reasoned silently to himself, I don't have a Master yet, so unless I'm directly asked, I don't have to tell anyone! Jax nodded his head against Renn's shoulder.

"Yeah. I understand. I'm gonna be in too much trouble to be a Padawan right now anyways. The Council's gonna kill me!"

3. Vorquellyn

Jan 18, 2003
    short
    c
    l
    i
    f
    f
    h
    a
    n
    g
    e
    r

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Dang! Got me all excited thinking this was the big moment! :p

5. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    I want to play with them a bit more before I decide if Jax will go to Agri-Corps or not...

--------------

"Come closer." Adi Gallia spoke softly, scaring the young trainee by her virtually expressionless tone. Jax walked farther into the huge, circular Council Room and halted in the middle of the room where Mace Windu indicated he should stop. He shifted his weight uncomfortably when none of the four Jedi Masters gathered there spoke.

"Tell, us," Mace said, his inquisitive voice finally breaking the deep silence, "Why are you here?"

"I went into a part of the temple that is restricted to all trainees and caused a disruption which ended up hurting some people, including myself and my friends, which resulted in two people being admited to the Healers ward for several days." Jax took a deep breath after his recital of wrongs, trying to steady his nerves.

Both his friends had already been called in earlier that week and were now bearing the brunt of their actions. Rialle had been granted permission to take Rio on as her 'aide' for two standard months. When they finally were allowed to see each other again Rio had explained to Jax in great detail all the various tasks that she made up for him. The two had spent the entire time scheming on how to get Rio out of his newfound predicament. Rio had been rather subdued when Rialle came to pick him up after she returned from her errand. Iyana, on the other hand, had been sent off on a mission with her Master only a few days after their failed attempt at spying. Jax had no idea where she'd gone or when she'd be back, but he hoped that she had gotten off a bit easier than Rio had. Though knowing her Master, he doubted it. As for his own punishment, well, his overactive imagination supplied enough unappealing ideas.

"Explain why you did this."

"I don't..." Jax started to automatically say but he made himself stop and think. Of course he knew why, he'd chosen to go along after all. So, why? "I, um, I guess I was curious to see if Jedi Knights and Masters did anything exciting in their spare time."

"Excitement. Heh. A great lure this is." If he had heard that anywhere but here, the snort Yoda placed in the middle of his declairation would have made Jax smile. Instead, he felt the need to flee. He quickly stiffled the urge lest any of the Jedi Masters catch onto it and torment him further.

"Ignore temptation, a Jedi can. A much more dangerous snare, curiosity is. So easily bypassed, it is not. Remember this." Yaddles softer, calm tone steadied Jax's racing heart a bit.

"Yes Master Yaddle."

Yaddle's keen eyes turned toward her fellow Jedi and she sat in perfectly still silence as, for a few moments, nobody said anything. It seemed to Jax that they were conversing silently with each other. The room was so quiet that he felt if he strained his ears just a little more he might be able to make out whispers. Finally her gaze turned back to the boy etched with question. However it was Yoda who spoke.

"Know we do about your talent. See into the future you can. Unresponsive to the Healers attempts to awaken you, you were. The only possible answer we can see, this is. Tell us, what did you see?"

Jax took a deep, relaxing breath, held it for four counts, then let it slowly out of his nose. This was it. Just when he thought he was home free, Master Yoda had to up and flat out ask. He unconsiously reenforced his mental sheilding and throwing caution to the wind, sat down on the floor. Surprise etched the two green Jedi's faces, Adi Gallia let out a sharp breath, even Mace arched an eyebrow. No non-Council member had ever sat in here before. And on their first visit much less. It was unthinkable! Yet, here was this twelve year old initiate doing just that.

Jax blew out a deep breath making his short dark bangs ruffle slightly. Then with a bit of prodding from Yaddle who had come to sit beside him, much to everyones surprise and consternation, lowered his sheilds and let her in his mind. He closed his eyes, reached down inside himself and acc

6. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    You're thinking of shipping him off to Agri-Corps? No dashing Corellian master? :( Good that he was forced to share his vision.

7. Vorquellyn

Jan 18, 2003
    Like I do the Jedi Council.
    but you still haven't really told us anything new.

8. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    Agri-corps would be fun dontcha think? Working with plants out in the hot (or cold) sun, all day long, every day. :)

Yeah, I know, Vorq. That post was a pain in the neck to write! I was a little apprehensive to do the Council for the first time...
    The first part here sorta wrote itself, so I let it stay. Let kids be kids. :)

-------------

Jax stood in the rapidly decending lift, watching the buttons light up as that particular floor was passed. About ten minutes ago, he had been summoned from his class. The Council has reached a decision and would like Jax to meet with them now. Exact wording of the message that had flashed over his teachers console. It was common knowledge to all the kids by now that he'd been there only two days ago. Everyone had watched silently as he'd left the room.

eerr-eech!

The lift jerked to a halt throwing Jax up against the wall and ramming his head into the flickering light fixture that was connected to the wall. Perfect. The one time when the mere thought of being called before the Council only caused minimal butterflies, the power on the lift decides to sort out. Last time he was ever going to take Rio's advice on a 'shortcut'. He reached up rubbing the throbbing bump that was begining to form on his temple.

The lights went out.

"This day just keeps getting better," Jax muttered in exasperation as he hit each of the lift's buttons in rapid success. Nothing happened. Big surprise. The dying animal sound that had issued forth just a second ago had been a pretty clear hint that the lift wasn't going anywhere soon.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out his datapad. Once activated, the screen cast a small circle of light before fading into the shadows. Jax held the datapad up like a glowrod and looked all around the tiny enclosure. His grey eyes lit up as he spotted the maintenance hatch that graced the ceiling. A grin slowly formed. Just because the lift was staying put didn't mean that he had to. Now, if only he could find a way to reach it?

Jax backed up to the wall, took two quick steps, then launched himself up toward the ceiling. Though he used the Force to push off, his fingertips only barely grazed the hatch. Why'd the blasted ceiling have to be so high and why'd he have to be so short? He tryed again. And again. And again. When he was younger, the older Padawans told stories about what the Council did to late kids. He shuddered slightly and gulped. Sure they were okay to him yesterday, but the dreamed up images in his head were all to vivid. Remembering them only renewed his determination to get there before it was too late.

Sighing frustratedly, he backed up to try one more time, bumping into the light fixture again. He turned, glared at it, and got an idea. Getting a firm handhold on the protrusion, he pulled his body up until the edges of his boots were balanced precariously on the slim metal strip that encircled the walls about waist high. Then, very slowly and slightly shakily, Jax stretched up until he was almost standing.

He raised one hand up so that his palm was tightly braced against the ceiling. The other was still clenched very firmly around the light. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and released his only reletively stable hold. His position held. Barely. The metal under his boots protested when he leaned out a few centimeters. Jax moved his hand slowly up to the hatch and pushed the release.

It popped open with a grateful sigh that matched Jax's own. He wriggled his fingers into the open space then swung his body out, scrabbling for a hold with his other hand. The lift chose that moment to plunge down about a foot. The hatch lifted with the sudden air current, then slammed down.

"NO! Don't- OW!" Jax cryed out as his fingers were smashed between the two surfaces. Gritting his teeth, he pulled himself up through the hatch and examined his aching digits. They were red and swelling, but otherwise intact.

Then the emergency generator kicked in.

"Uh-oh." Jax quickly grabbed the rim

9. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    This mission sounds ominous! :eek: I'm so thrilled the two of them are being paired however! :)

10. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    Oh, man. I am soo mad at my computer! I lost the next 5 posts for this. I was going to stick them up on my webbie this morning, but forgot, and now they are gone. They were pretty good too...

Well, I'm off to re-write them. Wish me luck.

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love you characters. You have done a wonderful job with them.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Just discovered this one. You're doing a great job - building up the suspense, putting Renn and Jax together in a dangerous situation... I just hope Jax's ability to get into trouble won't rub off on Renn.

Looking forward to more...

13. Vorquellyn

Jan 18, 2003
    I like the Renn O'Bano and Jax Pavan duo.
    Good job with the anxiety of facing the council.

14. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    Hey, sorry for the long delay. I got kinda caught up in the real world for a bit, discovering the joys of baking burnt Christmas cookies.

Thanks for reading PadawanKitara and dianethx! Thanks for the nice complements. :) One good thing about losing what you have written is that you get wierd new plot twists...

I hate writing Council scenes, so I'm glad you thought it was a good scene Vorqueller.

Anyways, here's the next postie!
    ---------------

To all the curious, the two newest visitors to the ancient city looked like a mechanic and his son. The man wore a plain grey tunic with a fully equipped toolbelt hanging laborously around his waist. A lightbrown tunic stained with various dark patches and mussed up hair was the outfit of the boy. Both were lost in thought as they decended the ships ramp and stared in stunned awe at the city before them.

"Wow." Jax managed to gasp.

Renn could only shake his head in wonder. "So, this is Threa."

Before then, scattered tastefully throughout the spaceport were banks of forest green ferns emcompasing pastel blue, green, and pink flowers, arranged to show spiraling patterns that dizzied the eyes. Misty rainbows jettied out of hidden fountains showering the displays with diamonized droplets of sparkling water. Intricate stone walkways looked as if each stone had been cut for it's specific place, which indeed it had. They had been painstakingly carved into mosiac pictures then highlighted with gold, bronze, and silver, which, when dusted away, stuck in the cracks and highlighted them. When veiwed from a distance, one could see the history of how the picturique city had came to be.

The port was mostly silent. Not from lack of people, but from the way they chose to comunicate with each other. Subtle hand motions and face ticks were what constituted as entire conversations with most of those gathered here. The buildings, built to resemble ancient stone adobes were impressive. Almost as much so as the towering rust colored cliffs that could be seen in an unbroken circle on the horizon.

"Threa is built inside a dormant volcano you know." Both Renn and Jax were surprised by the grating voice close behind them, but only the latter showed it, jumping slightly. Jax took one look at the man standing by them, and stepped behind Renn to sheild himself from sight. He willed Renn to leave, but the Jedi either didn't catch the thought, or chose to ignore it.

"Really? I would think that's a bit dangerous. How do you know it won't ever erupt again?" Renn asked, fishing for information.

"You must be a mind reader! Our Scientists have studied that very same question! They are now 98 percent certain that Jaelthrea will never blow. However there is still the slim percentage that it will." The man's face lit up. "That is why, in case of an emergency, we have established tram systems ready to evactuate our residents at a moments notice! Every half a year we have a drill where we are all spirited away to the Jungle of Aleaj for a week of fun with our close friends and neighbors, the Yashra. It's a marvelous system and one our city is proud of! In fact, I am the very man who designed it! Scientist Asinine of Lorrd, at your service..."

Renn grasped the hand extended towards him. "Rent. Rent Bane of Corellia." His hand was pumped heartily.

"Ahh! Rent! What a noble, worthy name for one such as yourself! It is my joy to make your aquaintance. Did you not have a young one with you also?"

Renn nodded, glancing back at Jax. He jerked his head slightly forward but the boy just shook his head. Renn reached back and pulled Jax to his side. "This is my son Jack. We're going to try our luck here."

Renn gently squeezed Jax's shoulder, encouraging him to play along. "Yeah, if dad can actually fix something this time."

Asinine burst into a booming laugh that shattered the quiet.

"Shuddup Asinine! Or get your gears tuned!" A man called fondly toward them. Several people smiled and laughed at the comment.

Asinine waved slightly to the man before turning apolog

15. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    :):) This is cool, although it's kinda hard to grasp.

Congratulations Lorax! You are a finalist for the following awards in the Winter 2003 Fan Fiction Awards at the JCF Forums:

Most Underrated Story : Dear Valin

Most Underrated Story : Despite My Best Efforts

Please select an excerpt of no more than 2 pages to be presented to the voters prior to the voting round for each of the categories. If the story is a vignette, please submit the entire vignette. Please submit the excerpts by PM no later than December 17, 2003.

Hmm... I wonder what part of this I should use as the exerpt. Any ideas? Which part/s are you're favorite?

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Creepy guy there! [face_plain] Congrats on moving to the voting round!

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, oh, That guy was from Jax's dream. Not good! I liked the descriptions of the place and the people communicating with little sound. Gave it an otherworldly aura.

My favorite part of the fic was the vision sequence with the creepy guy but that's just me. You should choose what you like best...

18. Vorquellyn

Jan 18, 2003
    Asinine?
    Done on purpose like the kind of behaviour?
    Wonderful description of the planet.

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Congrats on the nominations.

Will this wacko live up to his name?

20. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    Alright, I'm going to introduce a couple new characters here. I hope things aren't happening too fast here. Anyways, here it is...

---------

Upon seeing Jax, Mai Asinine, a short, plump older woman with a difficult accent had thrown her arms around him and squeezed tightly, speaking rapidly in her native language. If it hadn't been for Asinine's intervention, Jax probally would never have emerged from the embrace.

Asinine laughed as he untangled his wife from the boy.

"She likes you! That is good, yes? Of course! Mama Mai will treat you like her own if you decide to stay here! Isn't that wonderful?" Renn had to stiffle a grin from seeing the terrified glance Jax shot towards him.

"Um, yeah. I guess." Mai began pumping Jax's hand up and down ferociously as he silently begged for Renn's help with his eyes. Renn couldn't help the slight smile that twitched on his lips as he extracated the boy from the excitable woman's firm grip. He pulled Jax into the shelter of his arm where he instantly burrowed in as tightly as possible.

"Yes, I'm sure she would be very gracious to Jack. Scientist Asinine, may we see the room?" Asinine started to gesture to the stairway when Mai threw her arms around both Renn and Jax, this time, tears of joy running down her flushed cheeks.

"Boy good for room! Ni!" She spoke in broken basic, her accent coursing heavily through the words.

"Yes Mama, yes he is!" Asinine said, beginning to wring his hands. He laughed nervously as he glanced covertly at Renn. "But you must let him go so he can first see the room!"

It took several minutes, but eventually they did manage to get up the stairs without to much delay. The room Renn and Jax were shown was small, but quaint. It held two small beds, a small trunk at the end of each bed, and a small chair. Actually, everything in the room was small, as if meant for someone quite... well, small.

Mai jabbered insistently in her language, making wild motions towards both Jax and the furniture. Asinine burst out in that grating booming laugh of his and threw his arm around his wife, saying a few words to her. Mai smiled even more as she spoke in her Basic again.

"Room squat! Boy squat! Size good!" Jax's cheeks flushed at her crude reference to his height. She shook her head merrily as she reached out, pinched the skin on Jax's cheek, then stared at Renn in horror. "You no feed! There no meat on bone!"

Asinine calmed his wife by sending her down to the kitchen for refreshments. His gaze flitted between Renn and Jax with apology.

"Please!" He cried flinging his arms wide as his wife had done. Both Jedi braced themselves. "Do not run away like so many others have!" His arms dropped to his sides and he lowered his voice, leaning closer as if to tell a secret. "My wife, she gets very enthusiastic at times. You see Rent, your son reminds her of our youngest, who is only ten and sent to boarding school recently. She misses him terribly and your son would be like a sweet balm to her! Please, reconsider!"

Renn held his hand up to stop the man from grovelling. "Give me a few hours to decide. I would like to see a bit of Threa before I make any decisions."

Asinine grinned widely, causing the prosthetics to groan. "Why of course! Then we will be seeing you later?"

Renn nodded his head slightly, non-commitally. "I will contact you with my decision before dark."

For the first block, Renn and Jax walked in reletive silence along one of the many cobblestone pathways. Jax kept tight hold of Renn's hand just in case Mai Asinine came bursting from her house to ambush him again. He relaxed slightly after they lost sight of the building.

"So," Renn looked down at Jax, remembered the terrified look he had received from the boy, and smiled nonchalantly. "What do you think. Shall we take it?"

That stopped Jax cold. He stared up at Renn in horror. "WHAT? You aren't seriously going to considering it, are you?" He didn't wait for an answer. "No, please, you can't! I wouldn't be able to stand it! I'd rather stay on the ship!

21. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    ?[face_plain] Hmm... What could a Sal-Solo be doing on Threa, Lorrd?

22. Vorquellyn

Jan 18, 2003
    Um Thrackan was the first Sal-Solo. It isn't a last name in and of itself it is a hyphenation of two last names.

Is Mama Mai based on the stereotypical Italian matron?

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    If I remember correctly, the Sal-Solo's aren't the most pleasant people. :eek:

24. Lorax

Nov 1, 2003
    Vorqueller - Hmm.. I didn't know that. I thought it was a whole last name... Oh, well, Corellia's a big place. :)

obi_ew - Nope, they aren't. Jax is in trouble.

25. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Mama Mai- Mama Mia- conjurs up images of overbearing italian mama's force feeding their children "eat, eat. You only had 3 helpings. You don't like my cooking?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.