main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Probably 6 months to a year.

Destiny 2 will likely switch to dedicated servers, whilst Destiny 1 remains peer-to-peer.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I've fallen in love with Bad Juju. It's decimating folks in Iron Banner and really suits my play style. It's even supplanted my trusty The Villainy which I never thought would happen.

I'm also zeroing in on 400 light for the first time. Iron Banner is a Godsend for quickly elevating my level. I just wish boots were dropping. Mine are still stuck on 392.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Bad Juji is one of the most underrated exotics in the game.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Seriously dude, this is a social game. I can sympathize with the lone wolves and other folks with personal/social/anxiety issues because, well, I was one of them back at the beginning of Y2. I was beyond frustrated that I would not be able to get past 290 light until I raided. I was terrified of raiding because I had no idea hat it entailed and, tbh, I'm not a people person either. But, I wanted to see the endgame regardless. So I hit the sherpa reddits and lfgs and got more or less carried through my first King's Fall. Then more runs followed. Then I went through the OG Vault of Glass and loved it. Then buggy Crota's End. Then finally Wrath.

At this point in time all raids are relevant and there are now more people playing them than ever before. If you want to experience the goods, you gotta try to seize the opportunity.Use the psn lfg or the100.io. Look for any groups identifying themselves as "chill" because, more likely than not, they won't be ultra-serious, pressed-for-patience-and-time (see what I did there?) hardcases like me and will welcome or be comprised of less experienced raiders. Raiding is not the most frustrating or aggravating activity in Destiny. That dubious honor belongs solely to Trials.

It's always a very reliable and godly weapon. I always wonder why I don't use it that often since it's a beast for most endgame content.

5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I used it all the time in CoE and Crota raid.

6. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I'd personally like a way of experiencing the raids with a built-in matchmaking mode. It doesn't have to have the same rewards, but as a way of practicing before joining in with the bigger boys it'd be a welcome addition.

7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Matchmaking is impossible in Destiny raids, due to the mechanics and the limited number of players.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Not to mention that many of those players may or may not have a microphone, may not speak the same language or may not know the raid mechanics for any or all encounters. Trust me, the system in place is not perfect, but raid matchmaking is a folly not worth consideration. I can only hope that Bungie actually provides an in game lfg system to supplement exterior sites.

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The Sword final quest is a prime example why match-making is not a wise idea.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So I know this is a weird time to start playing Destiny, two years after release, but the complete edition (w/all DLC) was on sale for PS4, and had some leftover gift card credit.

Any words of wisdom starting out?

11. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    It's a decent single player game now, I think. Since The Taken King came out it's been pretty solid.

As for tips, I'd say make sure you pick up your bounties each day. The story progression will do a good job of helping you complete them whilst starting out. I'd also say, for your first play through, don't use the instant level up items you get. Save them for if you make another character.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been following Destiny for a while now, especially once Bungie finally revealed what they had been up to since they left Halo. Though Destiny has been rather confusing to me, until I got some hands on time with it, for a few hours during the beta and some random moments since then. The main reason why I haven't gotten Destiny is because I knew that, sooner or later, last gen would be left behind.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I gather you still haven't upgraded to next gen, eh?

I think that if you played a but of the game, you'll know that about the only thing the game has in common with Halo is it's tight shooting mechanics and barely there masked protagonists. It's a shooter mmo with RNG-based loot rewards. It has a very rich lore, but the vast majority of it lies in the grimoire you unlock as you play the game or engage in its pve or pvp activities. You can enjoy the game, sure, as long as you enjoy its grind and playing with others. And that's truly not for everyone.

Here's a review I saw the other day. It can be argued that it's very biased, but I find myself in agreement with it and it encapsulates very well why I and so many others are addicted to this messy piece of virtual crack:

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't afford to upgrade, because I have had no luck finding a job, to the point I am basically completely broke. That is pretty much the only reason I haven't even played most new games in general, especially ground breaking stuff in development like Star Citizen, Escape from Tarkov, Factorio, Subnautica, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, ARK: Survival Evolved, and Stardew Valley.

Halo: Reach was a prototype for much of what Bungie wanted to do with Destiny, specifically the same character across both singleplayer and multiplayer, and special abilities. I am well aware of the fact that most of the lore is locked away in the Grimoire, which isn't directly accessible in game. I am also quite are of how the weapon balance has changed pretty dramatically going all the way back to the beginning in Year 1. Grinding in games isn't my preferred choice, but I can deal with it when I know about it going in.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Really sorry to hear that Zeta1127. Hang in there and don't give up on the job search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    never played this but a bunch of friends are hyped up for number 2. is it easy to get into or?

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think it can be easy to get into. But I suppose that's relative. If one of your friends has the game, ask him/her to lend you the copy or otherwise let you have some hands-on time with it to let you form an opinion about it.

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Really liked what I saw today! The Guided Games feature is going to really help out Lone Wolfers like me. That is super easy looking to join up for Raids. I like the new supers just wish they where an all new element instead of the same 3.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am a lone wolf too, so that sounds great, but what really got my attention was Battle.net for PC.

21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Guided Games has ensured this is a day one purchase for me. I mean, it probably was anyway but that's cemented it. I also like the improvements to patrols as well. Lost Sectors sounds intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Had to work and missed the stream. What's this guided games thing?

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Basically in game LFG

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Argh I'm not sure why I can no longer edit my post, maybe cause I'm on a phone? Anyway, I watched a bit of a new strike and I'm liking the new ships and the new manuvers they are doing. It's still a load screen but atleast it's something new. Also noticed the ships each had a different drive color instead of just the rocket flame so I'm guessing this time around we can actually tweak our ships a bit possibly like Sparrows in 1. I still look foward to the day we can take control of them and do some PvP. Hopefully that will happen during this game in a future expansion but I have a feeling we ll have to wait to 3 but I mean come on it has to happen right??

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    A few thoughts:

1) New supers look a bit underwhelming. I'll miss my Titan's bubble and my hunter's blade in pvp (yeah, the warlock's radiance has always been meh and, well, warlocks suck). It makes me wonder what happened to the subclasses introduced in TTK. Why would we suddenly "unlearn" those abilities? I know we haven't seen everything yet but I hope those subclasses eventually return further down the line. I want my tethers dammit.

2) The new weapon classifications and slots seem to be yet another way for Bungie to tweak with pvp balance without separating loadouts for pve/pvp purposes. I think it kinda makes sense: you bundle together all former specials and heavies in one slot so that they don't dominate pvp matches, leaving your main combat options to essentially two different primaries. I figure that power bricks will now be available with timers in pvp and you'll now have to carefully select your loadout for each map/gametype, Also...4 man teams across all game modes? Jesus Bungie, when are you gonna learn that you're not making Halo anymore? These changes reek of them still stubbornly holding on to the idea that they need to make their competitve multiplayer as similar to Halo as possible.

3) This guided game/clan matchmaking thing looks good on paper, but it's not exactly the fix we needed. A robust in-game lfg is simply what we needed. What if you want to host your own raid, nightfall or whatever and don't feel like joining or creating a clan? Sure, the stream mentions that there are tangible benefits and rewards for activities undertaken by clan members, but, yeah, people will always want to do their own thing. I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see how the whole thing works, but something tells me that third-party or even the own consoles' lfg systems won't be shutting down because of this new thing.

4) Lorewise, the whole thing looks...dubious (see what I did there?). So, at first glance, Gary comes to wreck our **** not because of orders from the Cabal Emperor to quell the threats in the solar system - as implied by everything we did to the Cabal during Destiny 1, culiminating with that signal they sent during TTK - but because he wants the Traveler's gifts for himself. Eh? On the positive side...the dude sounds like Clancy Brown. So if *****ing Gary is gonna sound like the ****** Kurgan, then it's gonna be all the sweeter to take him down.