VIDEO Destiny (Destiny 2 Announced!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
  2. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    LOL I keep loading up the beta, just to look at the screen. Can't wait till Wednesday (XBOX One), but I have a job interview so I cannot touch it until the afternoon.
  3. a star war Jedi Knight

star 4
    I have the beta pre-loaded for Xbox One too.
  4. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Is it Wednesday yet???

*looks at the calendar*

#%!#@%!
  5. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It has to be said that, whoever they've got to replace him at Bungie, they've done a good job at emulating Marty O'Donnell's style.
  6. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Michael Salvatori was co-composer with Marty throughout previous Bungie games (including the Halo series) and I think he's still lead composer over there. Other new composers are C. Paul Johnson and Skye Lewin, but I figure that Salvatori's touch gives this soundtrack as well as Rise of Iron's that very Halo-y flavor throughout.
  7. Mustafar_66 Jedi Master

star 5
    Some thoughts on the beta:
    It feels like Destiny. In terms of the look and feel of the game pretty much nothing's changed. Personally I think that's great. Most of Destiny's faults weren't in the actual gameplay, it was the story. Thankfully, if the first mission is anything to go by, the folks at Bungie have really taken that criticism on-board. There isn't this confusion over who you are, where you're going and what's going on. It's very reminiscent of the opening to Halo. Straight into the action, everything's going to **** and it's up to you to try and solve it.
    Something I didn't realise I'd missed from the first Destiny was a proper villain. Sure the game had the likes of Crota and Oryx, but they had no physical presence. They didn't really interact with you in a meaningful or physical way until the inevitable boss fight at the end of the story or in the raid. GaryGaul seems like he's going to be that type of villain who pops up and has some impact.

Outside of the story mission, the strike is fairly straightforward and could easily have come from OG Destiny. It's not bad, but it's fairly-by-the numbers. As for the Crucible, I'm not much of a PvP guy, but I like the changes to Control. I wasn't sure if 4v4 would work, but by jove it does. Along with other changes like ditching neutralising capture points and having A and C auto-captured it makes for very fast paced action (although the time-to-kill seems higher, so it balances out somewhat). My only real complaint is that I preferred the old scoring system. I've not had a chance to play Countdown yet, but I'll give that a go tomorrow.

One other little thing I noticed is that it seems that you can equip shaders on both weapons and individual pieces of armour. If that's the case then excellent! I'm all for more customisation and that's a definite step in the right direction.
  8. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll be on XBOX beta from 6pm (UK time) tonight.
  9. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Beta won't be available for me til later today, but I've seen a few videos and comments already and the main complaints are that your character is once again a mute cypher (WHY?), increased weapon ttk in pve that seem to go in tandem with the adjustments Bungo wanted for pvp, making ads more bullet-spongy than ever. Also, super and ability cooldowns are extremely high since the current gear no longer provides buffs to those timers, though it doesn't help that some supers and abilities seem to be weaker.

The longer weapon ttk was a thing we knew since the reveal. But now coupled with the slow super and ability charge time, it just goes to show that, once again, Bungle prioritized pvp "balance" to the detriment of the pve game. I find it very ironic that people complain about the slow ability charge times in pvp (apparently you can finish a time without ever getting your super) when many folks complained throughout the last year that pvp had become an ability spam-fest. But still, it all looks extremely underwhelming. While I'm keenly aware that a beta is not a trial/demo to help sell a game, at the moment these things do bring me to worry about the quality of this game at launch.
    Last edited by Darth_Invidious, Jul 19, 2017 at 4:54 AM
  10. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    It is a BETA remember, it is limited and subject to change.

Biggest complaint with Destiny 1 BETA is bungie gave WAY too much away.
  11. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Again, I'm keenly aware that a beta is not a demo. At its best, it's a way for Bungie to test server stability and iron out kinks. And yes, I'm aware that Bungie apparently did show too much in the first beta, though for the life of me I can't recall if I even played it. I think I lost interest very quickly with what I saw then.
  12. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, the social space is being opened up on Sunday to test server stability. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

D1 beta was very buggy.
  13. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Update:

Had a two hour run through of the beta. Snipers probably shouldn't be power weapons; feels quite underwhelming so far compared to others in that class. But I enjoy the new weapon classes better than I thought. Titans and Warlocks are *very* overpowered in PVP.

The new defensive abilities adds a whole new dimension to the game.

You get so much hate if you run gunslinger with double hand canon and shotgun lol Yeah, I was that guy lol

Hope all story missions are fun (and long) as the opening mission. AI seems a lot smarter, too.
  14. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Double hand cannon? You can dual wield??
  15. Mustafar_66 Jedi Master

star 5
    Sadly no. Kinetic and energy weapon types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah, yeah. I keep thinking in Destiny 1 terms. :p
  17. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    The exotic hunter handcannon is bae.
  18. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Update:

PVP feels more balanced and fun. Granted, we have limited weapons and no armour perks. Reducing abilities and super cooldowns makes the gameplay more fun, the number of 1v1's has been reduced and the emphasis is on team engagement. Really enjoying it.

But say that...

It's had a significant impact on PVE. Feel more weak, gameplay is slowed due to lack of abilities and supers are so underwhelming now. Zero point wasting a super on ads and you might as well save it for the boss. I just feel in the quest of balancing, PVE has been sacrificed. Bungie really want PVP to be big, which is should be, but PVE should not be weaken to achieve it.

Of course, we have to wait for the full game. But I fear for PVE.
  19. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Because Bungie refuses to balance out pve and pvp separately. It seems the only way to do that is create two separate games in one package and they flat out won't do that, either for lack of resources or pure idiotic stubbornness to defend a game design that is wrong for this type of looter-shooter game. This beta is a pvp stress test because the pve content is almost non-existent. The strike is meh. Beautiful local and level design, sure, but it all boils down to a long trek towards a bullet-spongy overgrown minotaur we've killed a thousand times over by now without any decent supers or sufficient power weapon ammo to do proper dps.

I'm a pvp potato so you can imagine how much I look forward to spend the next few days repeating the same matches on my own. Yeah, countdown leaves me cold. If you go in solo, you're screwed. You need a competent, communicative team to properly stand a chance. I don't think TTKs are that slow, not when a meta of pulses, autos, handcannons and fusion rifles has already started to take shape. But your Guardian definitely feels slower, and the super and ability recharge rate almost at a standstill. I for one could not care less about ability spamming. It was part of the game and that's why everyone wanted their Tier 12 gear. What ruined the crucible to me was the special weapon economy and the weapons that got around that. So yeah, fighting for the power weapon drop and spending a match without ever popping your super is...less fun. Bungie wanted to makes Destiny as Halo-y as possible and they're on the right track, for whatever that's worth.
  20. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't mind countdown and I play with randoms (but, I'm use to search and destroy from COD); yet to lose a game, but I think this will be the story of Destiny 2. If you're use to playing COD, Halo or any other FPS online then you're going to love it.

Solo players will probably suffer the most. D2 puts the emphasis on team; we're no longer god wielding space magic people.
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    It was a long day yesterday and I did not play that long. Maybe I need to give myself some more time with the beta. But the slowness of the game may turn out to be a huge detriment at the end of the day.
  22. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Up your sensitivity. I'm playing on 6 now. Use to play on 4, but the encounters are too slow now in PVP and you really need quick reactions. With abilities cold downs increased (over 1 minute) and TTK as well, it comes down to reactions. Aim assist has been dramatically reduced, too.
  23. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Will do that. I have heard though (and it makes a certain amount of sense) that the slow ability and super timers in the beta are deliberate, with gear that might buff one or the other turned off because Bungie wants precise info on charge times without any gear modifiers active. Things might definitely be different with the final product with everything properly turned on.
  24. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    I heard that as well, but some of the Destiny streamers have questioned it. We're probably not seeing armour, which gives buffs to abilities. But, we will have to wait and see. The current armour bonus just deal with movement, jumping and recovery - nothing related to powers.

It really comes down to these mods, which are locked out. TBH, I'm surprised that is locked out. Something this new, which will fundamentally change the game, probably needs to be tested in a beta. If not, PVP could become very, very broken on launch.
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  25. Darth_Invidious Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, many folks have said D1 was a 3-year long beta. Seems that's how Bungo's gonna roll again with the sequel. :p
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest