main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    What can I say? Space mom has me. I recently finished The Second Dream and The War Within and Bungie should be ashamed that a F2P game like Warframe has pulled better storytelling in those two quests than Bungie has ever been able to pull with two full AAA games now. Bungo has me 'til DLC 2 because I stupidly did pay the $100 last year. Last time any game company ever gets me that way. Especially Bungie. The rep they might've built with Halo way back when - and as so you state, undeserved as it might've been - is in tatters.

Interesting analogy you've done in regards to The Division, since it seems that after a couple of years and many patches that game is in a much better condition than
    what it was at launch. But I doubt that what's left of the Destiny community has that much patience with Bungie to hold out for 6 months, let alone two years.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In fairness to The Division, the updates were free and the developer did it to earn back trust. in the end, The Division is a fantastic game - to a shame the endgame was completely broken and botched on launch. I'm not waiting 6 months to fix this ****.

Fornite can rush out patches and updates within 24 hours. We're still waiting for a sandbox update in Destiny 2.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It's a shame really. I really love the lore of the Destiny universe, even if some of that lore makes no sense, a bunch of it was made on the fly with the reboot of D1 or now been sorta-kinda retconned with D2. That - and the worthwhile loot - was the glue keeping me stuck to Destiny, despite its developer. But I think I'm done. I've no patience anymore for Bungie and I will not go through the same **** I went through with them while they polished D1 amidst serious content droughts.

It seems clear now that D2 was a mistake. Bungie should've followed the WoW playbook, simply expanding and updating the original game while keeping a monthly subscription model for monetization. Or hell, even making it F2P with the clear announcement of their intentions in that regard. But this model they're stuck on is a complete disaster.

BLemelisk likes this.
  4. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Was about to put D1 back in last night. Might have to this evening.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've been tempted to log into D1, but I can't bring myself to. As much fun as it may be, I'd like to think I closed the book on that game. I may even headcanon it to myself that the Age of Triumph was the end of my Guardian's journey and that D2 never happened except in some alternate reality not worth revisiting.

JEDI-SOLO and BLemelisk like this.
  6. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    It feels strange when the game is no longer being updated and not current. No more live events, etc.

I was thinking about deleting a character and going through the quests again from scratch, as I never actually made an Exo character. Would be interesting to see how the progression works in starting a brand new character with the game in its final state.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't know how far you'd be able to level it up. No more Iron Banner or Trials, so the only options for max light would be lots of regular Crucible and raiding. Lots of raiding. Or perhaps even Archon's Forge. But I figure that enough people are probably logging in to get away from D2, so you might be lucky and find yourself enough folks to help you thru that.

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I been watching lots of D1 play and I’m telling y’all it’s tempting as hell.

Especially when they make the FP on Mercury with its ONE event ass and therefore takes 4 times the grind possibly if people don’t activate the heroic... I HATE CURSE OF OSTUIPD!!

BLemelisk and Darth_Invidious like this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, and it seems Bungie didn't think of creating new weapons for the factions, to top it all off. It's just mindbogglingly dumb.

I'll admit that, personally, there's a bit of grind left for me in the game. I would like to get a few more masterworks and finish off the Osiris weapon wheel to cash in the Sagira ghost shell. But it is hard as hell to stay interested with so much stupid in the game.

10. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    If you're up for that grind, more power to you. I couldn't keep interest enough to get halfway (to Saint-14's shotgun).

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Arguably the only worthwhile quest and weapon out of that grind.

BLemelisk likes this.
  12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Annnddd check..

There’s to people not activating the heroic event. Argh

BLemelisk and Darth_Invidious like this.
  13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Reading on Reddit, new faction rally weapons are not dropping. Bungie has responded with, and I am not joking, "you cannot get them right away" line..

Extra hours are now available in the salt mine.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It is...so incredibly frustrating...to be in this position. Of hating a developer that once upon a time gave us such awesome games like the Halo trilogy (and yes, I know it was far from perfect) and see them where they are now. Ever so often I listen to the fully released Music of the Spheres prelude score Marty and Paul McCartney worked on and I shake my head at what could have been but we never got. That music hinted at a truly grandiose world and game that we only glimpsed here and there in D1. But now, it seems Bungie has settled to cash in on mediocrity and BS.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    BLemelisk likes this.
  15. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Music of the Spheres actually kind of did it for me. It took me back totally to 2013 and their earliest previews. I remember subscribing to the Destiny Facebook group back then and devouring every little bit of information. When I came back out of this MotS-induced trance, I saw the game we currently have, and primarily the tone didn't match up for me. Cayde-6 befriending chickens, Ghosts have become sarcastic joke machines, the old grimoire and lore consistency seemingly blown away, etc. So much so that I lost a good deal of enthusiasm to keep with it.

It definitely hurts when your favorite developers and studios change with the passage of time, you can say that about anything (maybe even Star Wars ;)). Halo 3 elevated Bungie to godhood with me, and now so much of the core group that made that era of their products great has moved on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You could notice that inconsistency in the old grimoire, where cards that probably referred to jettisoned concepts from the original vanilla D1 story remained (i.e. Jupiter and Saturn, thus their places in MoTS), seemingly clashing with new cards for the "final story". A story that still could've been incorporated fully - along with the grimoire - into D2 instead of sorta kinda slightly retconned?

I listed to a recent Planet Destiny podcast where they interviewed the guy that had spent years rebuilding MoTS until the final product apparently fell on his lap recently. What Bungie management did to Marty was...Jesus...one of the biggest and most callous dickmoves I've ever heard of. If that's the current mindset at Bungie now and the foreseeable future, then yeah, abandon all hope. It doesn't matter what a guy like Christopher Barrett may or may not tweet about the "fixes" that D2 will receive over the year, there will always be someone higher up that may decide "Eh, no, too costly sorry. Try to divert the angry community with some line of bs. You know, promise them a new date for fixes we won't do and distract them with something else in the meantime".

But then I have to wonder, do they seriously think they'll be able to entice the little audience they have left with new DLC, let alone a D3, with such a mentality?

DANNASUK likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    They have to release D3 as its in the contract with Activision, but I believe that is where the franchise will end. And I have zero intention of picking of Destiny 3 - Bungie have abused my loyalty too much.

Darth_Invidious and BLemelisk like this.
  18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh boy they did it again and I noticed it on day 1 of the Rally thinking I was going crazy. They throttled the tokens.. I didn’t receive any twice in Lost Sector and then again for an Event. I saw today there was videos up about it and was like so I wasn’t crazy after all.

Shame

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Just stop playing.

It will solve everything.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I keep falling into that habit, despite myself. I don't want to uninstall and delete characters until DLC 2 drops. That's their final chance with me as far as I'm concerned.

Warframe provides distraction enough. I keep hearing all the buzz about Monster Hunter but...I dunno if that's the fix I need. I've zero excitement for Anthem, not with EA involved in the proceedings.

21. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I said almost this exact thing to my friend the other day in our ongoing "frustrated with D2" support group.

Once you see that they chose to not follow through for their loyal fanbase and didn't give them a product that built on what came before, it becomes so much easier to stop playing.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Just keep telling yourself this mantra: "This game is ******* boring. Bungie has exceeded their lifetime bull**** quota". It makes things easier.

BLemelisk likes this.
  23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Lol I know I know! It’s already paid for though till DLC2 so I have to get my anger inducing $ worth out of it.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Something you guys might find interesting. One of thr chapters in the book Blood, Sweat, and Pixels pretty much details Bungie's growth from them signing the deal with Microsoft to stop making Halo and become their own thing again up to just before the release of Destiny 2. During that period, most of the studio's Old Guard was conflicting with the post-Halo employees leading to a bunch of good ideas failing to form into a cohesive whole. Half way through the first game's development, the story was completely scrapped and recreated using bits and pieces. Most of the OG employees in top positions were gone before the game released.

Destiny was Bungie's attempt to break away from Halo, but the whole project was like a Halo black hole. All the new people they brought on wanted to make the next Halo. Activision wanted another Halo. So what we got was, in a lot of way, Halo.

BLemelisk likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, we know.