main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Destiny is a new first person shooter game developed by Bungie.

2. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Was wondering when a thread for this would pop up. Was so excited when I saw the announcement earlier in the week I updated my avatar accordingly and everything :p

They need more gameplay videos STAT. E3 will be blowing up this year.

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Looking forward to it! It will be awesome to play a Bungie game on a PlayStation. :)

When I saw this I was hooked.
    [​IMG]

BLemelisk likes this.
  4. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I asked for more gameplay, and they answered:

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Im not sure if i should get exited or not, it seemed ok but didn't blow me away. Might be because of the small amount of ingame footage at this point, hoping they can lure me in :D

Find the Door likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    PlayStation 4 only? If it is then they lost a sale.

7. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    It's definitely for PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360. I'm also assuming we'll be told of a NextBox version as well, once that console gets announced.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It'd be absolutely insane if it's not coming for the NeXtbox720. Unless, of course, MS hasn't got a nextgen console ready for this year...

I'm not sure how to feel aout this game. At this point I'm burned out on all things Halo and this game still looks too much like Halo. That or I'm simply too old for that **** now. :(

9. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Leaks have it that it will be on the current gen consoles and both the next gen systems.

One year after each Destiny game is released there will be a PC release.

So basically the only ones who can't get Destiny are the Wii owners.

Life and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    No one is playing this yet? I was curious to read about the experiences, since most professional reviews are still incomplete.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would if I wasn't an offline simpleton who still appreciates singleplayer experiences.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm curious about it. The Amazon customer reviews just happen to be all over the place, bringing Amazon's average review to 3/5 stars. Not enough to make me salivate.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It's a shooter MMO. And not a very compelling one at that. I honestly didn't bother to go far into the beta to care. If Bungie honestly thinks this is their hottest next thing, well, they should've stuck with Halo. You should save your money, Ezio.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Probably will. Been playing Warframe, which is also MMO-ish, but free to play.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing is, Bungie flatly refuses to call it an MMO, instead referring to it as a shared-world shooter. The only thing about it that concerns me, other than the always online nature that currently makes it useless to me, is there is apparently no split-screen or private Crucible (multiplayer) matches, so it completely relies on matchmaking for everything. This would seem to make it difficult to do things like have one vs one bragging rights matches.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    As of late I hardly care for online gaming and prefer spending hours in offline rpgs, so....yeah, it is kind of useless for me too. It's all a connect-with-crew, go-from-point-A to-B-shoot-get-loot-press-button-wash-rinse-repeat affair. Apparently there's not much story other than the infodumps Dinkla-ghost throws in and whatever lore unlocks you have to check elsewhere like in Bungie.net. I mean, ugh.

When you read people saying they'd rather play Borderlands instead...I think you may have a problem with your new IP.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah. I read on the Gamespot forums that some gamers even cancelled their preorders to play Warframe instead, since it basically fits the same description. I definitely won't be spending IRL money on it, though.

The only free to play game that I've actually spent IRL money on was Killer Instinct (and that was a one time purchase of something like $40 and included every character plus earlier access to new skins and new season 1 characters, and the original game). I'll probably dish out IRL money again for season 2, also.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And all of a sudden, Xbox throws in a Borderlands sale with both games at $4.99 ea. Almost seems premeditated... :p

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Is it redone for Xbox One? If so, I'll definitely get them.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Nope, those sales are for the old 360 only. I haven't heard of any next gen remakes other than Halo 2 Anniversary/MCC Collection.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Dammit. Still have never played those, and going back to the 360 is somewhat of an inconvenience (kids lost my tv remote, so I use Xbox One Smartglass for everything now, which is fairly seamless...until you want to change the TV input :p).

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm genuinely curious to see how this one performs. I was interested in it because it's Bungie... but none of the trailers or TV spots could get me interested in it otherwise*. There's something about the visual and character design that just really misfired, IMO- it's like they tried to merge several things together and ended up with something that looked very generic as a result.

That people have been saying the story isn't very good and overall duration of the game content is currently short (though DLC will likely address osme of that) kinda also dashes the "interested because it's Bungie" level of interest (I may not have played most of the Halo games but I was still interested in the universe, for example).

What I've been finding most interesting is the wildly varying perception of the game- some people will say it's not a good MMO to which others will reply that you shouldn't compare it to MMO's because it's a shooter. Then someone else will say it's not that great of a shooter to which others will say it's actually not bad if you look at the game as an MMO instead of a shooter. It seems not even the people who like the game really know what the game is.

It'll be interesting to see how those factors play out after the initial launch hype subsides.

*I'll admit, the recent live action TV spot with Immigrant Song was actually pretty cool... but I think that has more to do with the fact that adding Immigrant Song to anything automatically makes it cooler. [​IMG]

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Neat trailer.

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The gunplay, especially after I had the pleasure of playing the beta for quite a while, is what has me interested, and I didn't even get to use all types of weapons or do anything with a Fireteam. My assessment based on my time with the beta is Destiny is a persistent world FPS, not an MMO. It is a slower paced ADS shooter than say Call of Duty, which is something I find refreshing considering Call of Duty is too fast paced for my taste. I have heard people say it is Halo with ADS, but I don't believe that that assessment does it justice, because if anything I see somewhat more in common with Borderlands than Halo. What people see as Halo in Destiny I believe is better referred to as Bungie, because Marathon also has a similar feel. Oddly enough, Halo: Reach seems to be somewhat of a blueprint for what they are going for with Destiny, specifically one character across the entire game and armor abilities that are similar in concept to Super Abilities from Destiny.

The amazing thing about that assessment The2ndQuest is, the visual and character design was indeed inspired by a combination of both sci-fi and fantasy.

Draconarius likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was thinking something more specific than just genres- like they tried to merge Halo's design with Mass Effect's design with a dash of Star Wars, modern "portal tech" design and COD, etc.

And I just don't think the resulting Mando Master GLAdShep-RevanOs look ended up having any distinguishing or appealing feel to it.