main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Destiny & Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Fiannawolf

Fiannawolf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2015
    Played the launch version on PS3. But now I have the Taken King collection for Xbox one. Thank goodness they mind warped the cryptarch into giving out blue items via green engrams. I remember the launch days of trolling from him. Plus all the loot caves.

GT on Xbox is N7 Ghostwolf if anyone wants to add. Will play later today after work. Got my titan to 35 now and the warlock is 27.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, so...I caved in, bought the core game for the Xbone on the cheap thru eBay since it seemed like a good idea and I've been reading the mostly positive hype and improvements the Taken King has done for the game. Since I had already downloaded the preview version, inserting the disc pretty much activated the game. Unfortunately, to get the expansions thru the Xbox store...I have to pretty much buy the game all over again at full price or more since the DLC isn't sold piecemeal? Really?! There's no other option to get the DLC? I honestly can't believe MS and/or Activision don't offer more options for new or even old users who have already bought the core game! :mad:

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The option for new users is the Taken King collection which has everything for the price of a single game. Old users got bilked, no question . . . but people coming in new got a pretty good deal.

TX-20 likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I really liked this grimoire entry.

Mainly because of this part:

Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3
    5 Squad [HEAVY INF]
    TASK:
    - defend Psion intelligence ops 071x146
    OUTCOME:
    - overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.
    (my emphasis)

Ho ho. The fact the Cabal attacked the Hive in the hopes of finding some means of countering Guardians respawning was neat, too.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No doubt. I should've done my homework before buying the standalone disc. Unfortunately the Xbox store seemed to offer few options. But yeah, buying the bundled offers is indeed the best option for new players.

Anyhoo, The damage is done. I paid a pretty penny for everything...and now I'm strangely addicted to this game and the hunt for loot. Coz it's all about the ******* loot, man.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    any tips for a new player? ps3 version.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Shoot alien monsters constantly, stab them with the pointy end of your blades, grind constantly. Rinse and repeat.

TX-20, Fiannawolf and thejeditraitor like this.
  8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    My tip: Once you hit level forty and light level becomes more important, decrypt items one at a time, check the light, if higher, equip, then repeat. That'll see you climb in light level much, much more quickly, because items decrypt between a range focused around your current light. Blue items drop so frequently that you can go from light 200 to 280 in a few days. Less, if you're playing obsessively. Not that I'd know anything about that . . .

But, yeah, light level matters much, much more than legendaries/purples to start out with. Once you're in the 280s, then you should maybe have a look at picking up legendaries with the kind of perk rolls you're interested in, and infusing your higher light blues into them.

Also, pick a faction and stick to it. Rep takes longer to acquire now, than it used to.

I would suggest you make that faction Dead Orbit for two reasons.

1) They have the best shaders. If you're lucky enough that they drop from packages, you won't be disappointed. :p

2) You can buy the HUNG JURY SCOUT RIFLE which is the best vendor sold primary weapon in the entire game at present. It has good baseline stats but an absolutely fantastic perk roll that includes triple tap (refunds a bullet after three headshots) and firefly (which makes enemies explode when you headshot them -- this is the single most useful perk for any scout rifle, IMO.) It starts out at 280 but you should infuse it into the 290s as soon as you can and it'll serve you very well.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

I swear I have a hard time understanding any of that. How can I see the "light" level of any weapon/piece of armor? So far, I've focused more on the attack/defense numbers.

Any Xbox One players here? I'd really love to tackle some raids but I don't have that many Destiny players in my friends list at any time.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's the attack/defence number.

[​IMG]

Once you hit 40, upping the yellow number (Light) is the most important thing. The present cap is 310. The highest blues you'll find (if you're very lucky) are 300. All raid gear drops at 300 and above.

The daily heroic story (which rewards you with 15 legendary marks) is set at light 240 (meaning it'll be harder before you hit that point and easier after), the nightfall is light 280, and the raid (normal mode) is light 290.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, yeah, then I've been doing things right. [face_blush] I've ditched mostly every piece of gear once I've found or received higher numbered items.

As for lesser weapons, gear, loot...is my only option to remove clutter to simply disassemble/recycle? Isn't there some hapless junker out there that can give me anything for my excess wares? And what's the point of vaults anyway if it's always in our best interest to have the best gear possible? Just a depository of junk to recycle when in need of fast glimmer?

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Dismantling gives you glimmer, materials and -- in the case of purples -- legendary marks. (More if you've maxxed out the exp, so it's worth pumping your purples with motes before dismantling. I think it's 2/3 marks per item with no exp, and 5 marks if maxxed)

My vault is full of Y1 weapons and armour I'm unwilling to dismantle in case Bungie decide to allow us to upgrade them to Y2 standard at some point. There is no way in hell I'm getting rid of Fatebringer. Ever. There's also a lot of stuff in there that just looks pretty and I want to keep.

I can imagine having a lot of space with just one character, but I've got my main and two alts and thus very, very little space. I don't even want to dismantle the old raid weapons and armour I didn't like because I'm an obsessive collector.

If I were just starting out, however, I figure I'd mainly use the vault for storing high level blues I wasn't using so I could infuse them into something I did want to use, later. I mean, that's what I do with the limited amount of space I have. That and store legendaries that I'll want to break down for marks later.

TX-20 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Damn it, the game pulled me back in...and I love it. :p

Darth_Invidious - check out destiny-lfg.net and destiny-lfg.com, or reddit.com/r/fireteams - they're all great looking for group (LFG) resources that'll let you do Raids, Nightfall Strikes, or even just PVP. Also, now that things like the Black Spindle subquest exist, I'm sure you can find groups willing to do that too. Alternatively, they also let you look for players to round out a raid group or fireteam.

Ulicus has done a great rundown of infusing and light level. As for vaults, yeah, it's basically your own armoury. Year One exotics are next to useless in PVE now, but in standard PVP matches are still a boon. There are only one or two semi-regular PVP playlists that enable level advantages, and you can bet that everyone will be using a Year Two Red Death, Light 300.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oy, no wonder I don't have ANY legendary marks. The one purple scout rifle I have though is pretty much my workhorse ATM, so I guess I'll keep grinding with that sucker for the time being.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I really hope they decide against bringing it down from 310 in the end. Keeping the vendor version in line with the other exotics makes sense, since it trivialises infusing your special weapons, but a 310 drop from the mission itself is not a big deal. Especially since it's a pretty tough encounter given the time limit, and exotics sometimes drop at 310 once you're over 300, anyway.

I mean, sure, it makes the raid bosses incredibly easy (especially when most of your group is decked out with them) . . . but it's not that much better than a good 1000 yard stare or stillpiercer.

Penguinator likes this.
  16. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The Taken King offered me more to do than the full release of the game a year ago, that's for sure. But I feel like I've done everything worthwhile to me other than beating the raid. In fact, still haven't beat any raids because Bungie still has an idiotic mindset of not adding matchmaking features to all modes withing this primarly CO-OP driven game. So yea, I'm done again. I will play the game in a few months with a new DLC release.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, not adding matchmaking to raids is utterly idiotic. Specially drop-in/drop-out mm in case one or more players decide to quit, whatever the reason. Not all players can round up trustworthy and reliable partners for such skirmishes, especially if they can take awhile to beat.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    And you think matchmaking will give you trustworthy and reliable partners? You're better off going to an LFG site. There are many of them, and many more online communities dedicated to providing ways for like-minded players to connect.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, fair enough. MM assembled crews can be iffy-er dicerolls than committed players gathered through some other way. Far too many failed heists on GTA Online have proven that. And I guess the folks at Bungie know that too ever since ODST and Firefight. Damned if you, do damned if you don't, etc.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in case no one has seen it.

21. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

You don't have friends who play? You can't find friends who play? There are no Destiny communities that will help you? If think some random PUG is going to help you to help you take down Oryx then good luck to you. The chance of that happening is about 3,720 to 1.

22. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I have two, but one didn't buy the Taken King because it isn't worth $40 to him. I've tried finding friends by asking the communities to play with but most people are too picky and only want people that have specific guns and light level. I'd much rather have the option of finding people through matchmaking to play these co-op modes. There's no good reason for there not to have a matchmaking option for a raid that requires six players to complete. Not having a matchmaking option is simply dumb decision of Bungie's part.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    All you have to do is visit an LFG site, create your own post, be upfront about your lack of experience and put your own group together.

If you can't be bothered, it's on you.

Well, since they recently reiterated that all Black Spindles in your inventory/vault are being dropped to 290 in the near future (booo!), I finally took the plunge and infused my 310 BS into a 1K Yard Stare.

Thanks to using a raid fusion rifle to bridge the gap, I now have a 310 1KYS.

It'll do.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    What are black spindles and how do you infuse weapons? With the artifacts you acquire?

25. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    If Bungie can't bother to put in a proper matchmaking system for the PvE crowd, it's on them. As I've already stated, my friends and I have tried in the past to get teammates for raids, but to no avail.

It doesn't really matter now anyways. My friends and I have given up on Activison, Bungie, and Destiny. Not just because of the lack of matchmaking features, but also because the game just bores us, we have no plans on purchasing future DLC, and Bungie Studios is just a pale shadow of its former self. I wish I would have decided this before purchasing the Taken King (my friend wisely didn't), but at least that was better than the whole first year of the vanilla game. On the bright side, this was a good learning experience. I will no longer blindly buy a game again based on a company's past reputation, nor will I ever purchase a season pass again (the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass is another a reason for this, even though I got it for $10 off). I'm not pleased I spent over $120 for this game, but I've learned my lesson.