main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Destiny's Choice (Clone Wars AU) Completed 4/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    So Qui's going to give up on his old master? Well, I suppose that's the practical choice and the easiest thign on a Jedi's mind. Yeah, when I say something's twisted, I generally mean it as a compliment.

2. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    So Mace is the one who will take care of the Sepratists and perhaps confront Dooku. Time will tell whether or not it was a good choice but I see no reason why not on the surface.

Anakin might have been a good choice, but who's to say he'd deal with Dooku the same he delt with Assaj? Not only is Dooku much more powerful than Assaj, but he took Anakin's hand...which is much more devastating than giving him a scar.

But still, Anakin's come a long way and proved himself very capable. And I liked seeing Yoda tell Anakin upfront that the reason for not sending him is not due to a matter of trust.

Qui-Gon's stance, especially his admittance that Dooku cannot be turned back, should've made him the #1 choice to go after Dooku. But still, Yoda is right that the history between them can create some conflict.

Great post, Big T. And I'm even more anxious to read more knowing that Padme will be making an appearance.:D

3. Jedi_Rike

Jedi_Rike Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2006
    Fun fun. I am liking it. I see several plot lines beginning to position themselves for the End Game.

Just a post to let you know that I am still around.

Keep `em coming.

4. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    _JM_: Nice analysis of both sides of the Seppie situation. And I think you're right in your idea that the Chancellor can't request something without it carrying some of his authority.

Glad you caught the irony that just as Dooku sees the light, Qui-Gon gives up on him. One can only wonder what will happen if Anakin still falls to the Dark Side.

Sil: I doubt turning his back on Dooku was an easy thing for Qui-Gon, any more than it was easy for Obi-Wan to accept what Anakin had become.

AP: I wonder, is my Yoda just a little more perceptive than the film's Yoda? And if so, why hasn't he picked up on the darkness surrounding a certain political figure????

Rike: Yes, we're closing in the endgame. Question is, the end for whom?

Okay, who's ready to see "Miss Padme?"

"I find myself uneasy about confronting the Chancellor like this," Padme told the other senators Bail Organa had invited to his suite. "With the war still raging, is this the time for such a debate?"

"This may be the only chance we get to oppose Palpatine," Mon Mothma said. "The Constitution is almost unrecognizable due to his efforts. If he is given more time, we may find that the Senate is little more than the debating society the common people believe it to be."

"The Chancellor has drawn an incredible amount of power around himself," Giddean Danu said, the lights of Coruscant playing on his white robes as he paced before the window. "And this latest amendment, granting him a voice on the Jedi Council, seems most unusual."

"Yet he says it only for the duration of the war," Chi Eekway said. "We must exercise patience, lest we rush in without all the facts."

"Yet if we wait much longer, there will be no way to oppose Palpatine. Most of the Senate already grants him anything he desires," Garm bel Iblis said. "I f we are to oppose him, it must be now."

"Yet what we propose might be considered treason," Bana Breemu said. "While the Chancellor's refusal to reopen negotiations with the Separatists has led to the devastation of words in my sector, open rejection of his proposals may be seen as aiding the enemy."

"Yet if the Chancellor intends to become powerful, has he not become the enemy? The time has come to draw the Separatists back into the Republic, to put an end to this war. But Palpatine refuses to talk with Count Dooku, refuses to reopen negotiations," Bail said.

"The whole war is a result of our refusal to listen. Dooku had doubts about the Republic, yet we chose to ignore them," Padme said.

"You mean the Chancellor chose to ignore them," Feng Zhar said. "Even before war broke out, the Chancellor was gathering power. After all, there was no way that any military force was going to be under Senate control. And," he sighed, "I fear there is little that the Jedi can do to curb the Chancellor's excesses. Any motion must come from the Senate."

"But a direct opposition? Is this the right time for it?" Padme asked. "Let me talk to him, help him see the truth. And let me suggest that Anakin..."

"No," Mon Mothma said. "As Bana has already stated, this could be viewed as treason. If we are all that remains of the Republic we swore an oath to defend, then we must keep these discussions amongst ourselves. Not even our families must know about it."

"We can't know if Palpatine already suspects some of us. If he does, we cannot do him the luxury of confirming those suspicions," Zhar added.

"I will do as you suggest," Padme said, reluctantly. "But the time may come when we must seek outside allies, such as the Jedi."

"And when that time comes, we will accept what aid they can offer," bel Iblis replied. "But until then, we must keep our friends close, lest our mouths betray us."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More Ani to come on Tuesday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

5. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Good arguments on all sides. With a war to be fought distractions could be dangerous, but to let Palpatine seize more power or secure his hold further on that which he has could be even more dangerous.

At least we know that even the anti-Palpatinist share his minimum war goal of destroying the Separatist cause and forcing them back into participation in a government they had rejected so their willingness to listen only goes so far.

?After all, there was no way that any military force was going to be under Senate control.? ?that idea made me smile as I imagined the Senate voting on everything while the officers and crew and soldiers all had a nap, or learned a new language, or took family leave (and had enough time for the youngest of the six children to have started school)?

Poor Padmé, both her suggestions being rejected as a security risk.

6. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    I am so loving all the intrigue. Plots within plots.

I just hope that the senators don't end up regretting the fact that they are choosing to wait for Palpy's next move instead of taking the initive. It could be that even if Anakin doesn't fall, Palp's plans might be too far into motion to stop and Anakin just ends up getting gunned down like most of the Jedi do anyway.

We'll just have to wait and see...

Enjoyable post and keep `em coming.

7. AP4EVER

May 23, 2005
    Well, the Delegation 2000 leaders are off to confront Palpatine. Will they be successful? Not a chance in Hell, unfortunately.

But...you never really can know what Paly will do. I mean, with Grievous dead, and Dooku out and about, he's had to change soe of his plans surely. Be that as it may, he's still not going to condone any measure that relinquish any of the powers he's 'lawfully' attained.

I can only hope that Padme's reluctance in voicing her opposition at this time will allow her let Anakin know what's going on, instead of keeping him in the dark.

Great post, Big T. Can't wait to read more.:D

8. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    _JM_: I'd have to agree that letting Palpatine grab more power is a mistake, but I also think that these Senators might be a little too late. As for the line regarding the Senate controlling the military, well, just look how the New Republic messed things up in the NJO.

Rike: I think it's safe to assume that they're already a little late getting going.

AP: I don't think I'd say they have no chance, but their chances are indeed slim. As for letting Anakin know what's going on, well, don't count on it.

Okay, back to Anakin!

"I don't have a good feeling about this, Master," Anakin said to Qui-Gon as the two stood on a balcony overlooking a landing field. Below, a battalion of clone troopers boarded one of the LAAT gunships that would ferry them up to the Vigilance. One additional ship sat there, looking small and rather out of place amongst the mass-produced ships that now formed the backbone of the Republic's military. It was Mace Windu's personal fighter, one that had been nearly destroyed during Grievous's aborted raid on the capital. Somehow, the techs had managed to make it spaceworthy again.

"About the mission Mace is undertaking, or about what's going on with the Chancellor?" Qui-Gon asked. "Or is it something else, my friend?"

"I just feel that we're making a mistake," Anakin said, ignoring Qui-Gon's second question, especially given where a response to that could lead.

"Some would say that this entire war has been a mistake," Qui-Gon said. "But then, some of those are the same people who thought it was a mistake to train you as a Jedi."

"My circumstance didn't involve an entire galaxy," Anakin said. "Training me as Jedi didn't create an army of troopers."

"You must control your passions, Anakin," Qui-Gon said, catching the anger in Anakin's last remark. "Anger will do you no good, and will only..."

"Lead me to the Dark Side," Anakin finished. "I know that, Master." He turned away from the view, as Mace emerged and climbed into the fighter. "Master, would you mind if I asked a theoretical question?"

"If you don't mind a similar answer," Qui-Gon said with a slight smile. Finally, Anakin might be willing to talk about whatever was bothering him.

"In theory, if the Force showed a person something, something that could be prevented and would be of benefit, doesn't that person have an obligation to do what is necessary to prevent the event?"

"I don't think there is a clear-cut answer to that question, Anakin. We all knew that a darkness was rising with the Separatists, but none of us could see that it was linked to the Sith. For years, we have watched the Republic decline, but the Code prevents us from stepping in and fixing it. Jedi serve..."

"But they do not rule. I remember that lesson. But what you speak of is on a galactic scale. I'm thinking of something smaller."

"Now I begin to see that the question isn't as theoretical as you would have me believe, my friend. The Force has shown you something, something you don't agree with."

"I've seen death, death that shouldn't be happening."

"The Force works in mysterious ways, Anakin. Sometimes, we are shown things that we can do nothing about, and sometimes we are shown things that we should do nothing about."

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes, Anakin, our own actions bring about what we feared. Mace went to Haruun Kal to try and bring his former student back, but only drove her further to the Dark Side. If he had not acted, is it likely Depa might have come out from beneath the Dark Side's shroud?"

"I doubt it. She had fallen too far."

"Exactly. Sometimes, we are simply given a vision of the future."

"Then let me ask one other thing. Is it possible for the Force to give life?"

"That is a question that has been debated for a millennia, Anakin. There is still no simple answer."

"Is it impossible, or have we simply blinded ourselves?"

"Anakin," Qui-Gon said, resting a hand on his former student's shoulder, some things are som

9. AP4EVER

May 23, 2005
    Although I think Qui-Gon gave Anakin some insight as to how to interpret visions from the Force, still, he didn't give Anakin anything concrete or important.

So now he's going back to Palpy...will he get the shock of a life time, or will Palpy stay his hand just a little longer? I'm not placing any bets, but I think Palpy might just wait before playing his hand.

We'll just have to wait til Thursady to see, won't we.:D

10. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    Come one Qui-gon, everything is beginning to rest upon your ability to get Anakin to see reason. I really don't want to have to see Qui having to shout "I loved you. You were like my son!"

Oh well, either way, I'm sure that we are bound for an intense roller coaster of goods and bads.

Great post and keep `em coming/

11. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Poor Qui-Gon, trying to reassure Anakin and having him misinterpret it. Can understand why Anakin would be a little angered by thinking his master was comparing the effects of training him with the effects of a galactic war.

Glad that it seems Anakin is willing to open up a little to Qui-Gon even if he is still making it ?theoretical questions? and keeping things vague.

Very insightful advice from Qui-Gon about being beware of the self-fulfilling prophecy as well as the impossible fight.

Must say that if Anakin wanted real answers from Qui-Gon he should have asked real questions. :)

12. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    AP: I think it's hard for Qui-Gon to give concrete answers to questions when the one asking is being vague about what he wants to know. As for Palpy, well, just look at tonight's post.

Rike: Yes, it may indeed be on Qui-Gon to help Ani see sense. But I promise he won't wind up shouting what you fear.

_JM_: You're right to fault Anakin for not being more definite, but at least he's opening up more than the film version of Ani did.

And now, onto the next post!

"I'm surprised at the Council's decision," Palpatine said, walking down the corridor that led from his public office into the private sanctum. "Surely Master Yoda is capable of seeing that only you can defeat Count Dooku."

"The Council feels that I am too much like Dooku. They fear that rather than bringing him back, he might convince me to join him."

"Count Dooku's views are extremist," Palpatine said. "He is an idealist, much as I once was. He sees wrongs, and as a Jedi, sought to change them. When he couldn't do that within the Order's restrictions, he began to look for other options. He sought to bring about change through controlling powers beyond the Jedi ken."

"At the opera, you spoke of abilities the Jedi choose to ignore. I'm wondering, Chancellor, how you would know about Sith lore."

"My mentor taught me that, especially in politics, there are two sides to every story, at the very minimum. No doubt, you've discovered this yourself. He taught me that only by embracing the full spectrum can we ever see the truth. If we only look at one side of the story, we blind ourselves to what the other might reveal."

Anakin found his thoughts taking a disturbing turn. Palpatine's words weren't making sense, at least, not coming from the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. "What are you saying, Chancellor?"

"I told you some years ago that you had the potential to become the most powerful Jedi ever. You've certainly proven that your skills are the equal of Master Windu's. But to achieve your true potential, you have to break free of the fog with which the Jedi have surrounded you. Only by embracing both sides of the Force can you achieve your true destiny." The Chancellor sat down, looking across the bank of consoles at the Jedi Knight.

"I can't believe that you would ask that of me. Surely the example of Count Dooku showed what can happen when a Jedi attempts to look beyond the light. I cannot believe you would ask me to start down a path towards the Dark Side."

"Anakin, I told you long ago that I would be watching you with great interest. I have, hoping to see that you would be the one chosen to bring the Jedi into the future. I still believe that you can do that. But you cannot do it as long as you continue to cling to archaic traditions, traditions that can only hold you back."

The words opened Anakin's eyes, revealing to him something that now seemed so obvious he thought himself stupid not to have realized it before. "The second Sith," he murmured. "It's not some vague shadow thrown out by Dooku. It's you!"

"That's right, Anakin," Palpatine said. "I knew the truth would not stay hidden from you for long. Though I wish I hadn't had to wait so long for you to realize it. Only by joining with me can you bring about the changes necessary to save the Republic. Only the Dark Side's power can help you conquer your fear."

Anakin's lightsaber had leapt to his hand, and he ignited the weapon. "I can't let you continue this way," he said, backing away as Palpatine rose and came around the consoles. The Chancellor climbed the steps, bringing himself to the same level as Anakin.

"What will you do now, Anakin? Will you kill me, and begin a journey of your own towards the Dark Side? Will you risk losing Padme, as you lost your mother? Remember, Anakin, that I know you better than most, perhaps even better than Qui-Gon Jinn. Can you bring yourself to kill me?"

"I won't kill you," Anakin said, keeping the blade raised. He'd seen enough of Dooku's tricks to

13. Jedi_Rike

Jan 22, 2006
    And the shroud of the darkside has been removed. It'll be interesting with Mace out of system what happens. I would think that only one of the greatest saber wielders would be dispatched to deal with this threat. Perhaps... no, I won't say. I don't want to jinx what I am thinking.

I loved that scene. So much like the movie, yet with just enough of your own style and flair. Well done.

Great post and most certainly keep `em coming. I must know what happens next!!

14. AP4EVER

May 23, 2005
    Well, it seems that any setbacks that have occurred aren't stopping Palpy from implementing his master plan. But still, even though things are playing out almost 100% the way we expect, could Palpy have over-played his hand?

But then again, the turning point in determining which path Anakin will take, doesn't solely lay at Palpy's feet.

Great post as always, Big T. Can't wait to see how things play out from here.:D

15. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Very interesting. I hope that Anakin doesn't betray the Jedi in this one.

16. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Might be easier to deal with Dooku now Anakin has taken a hand?or rather two. :p (sorry)

I?m wondering if the council are right about having seen the possibility that Anakin might join Dooku. Would irritate Palpatine no end if the potential apprentice he had spent so long grooming joined his former but no longer apprentice.

Liked Anakin asking the direct question of ?how do you know this??

Still think that Palpatine?s advice of using both sides of the Force (not that he seemed to use the Light Side) is w9onderfully similar to that given by the funky chicken Vergere.

??Though I wish I hadn't had to wait so long for you to realize it?? ?Poor Palpy, I suppose that is the problem with being good at being sneaky- people never guess right even when you want them to.

I wonder what the council will do. At least Mace ?the boy is dangerous, I don?t trust him? Windu is out of the way (and isn?t such a git in this AU anyway) so if Anakin has the same choice it won?t be so clear cut (or clear who to cut).

17. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Rike: Glad you liked my take on the scene. As for seeing one of the greatest swordsmen in the Order in action, well, telling would be cheating.

AP: Palps may have overplayed his hand, especially given that, as you point out, he isn't the only factor in Anakin's decision.

Sil: And here I half expected you'd be looking for Ani to do precisely that.

_JM_: Palpy's words do seem like the sort of thing Vergere might embrace, but we know her head isn't on right. As for the Council well, you need wait no longer, since it's coming tonight.

Anakin had been shaken by Palpatine's revelation, there could be no question of that. But what he did with that knowledge might change the course of the Republic's history, and would certainly shake the Jedi Order to its foundation. There was, in fact, only one person he could go to: Qui-Gon. But he couldn't do it where others might hear, which meant that he had to get his former Master alone. To that end, he asked Qui-Gon to meet him in the only place in the Temple he could be sure of: the Council chamber.

The circular room was empty when Anakin entered, which was no small relief. If nothing else, it would give him a moment to compose himself. He walked to one of the room's large windows, his eyes passing over the cityscape of Coruscant. One in particular caught his gaze and held it so firmly that he didn't sense, didn't even hear Qui-Gon enter the room.

"What did you discover, Anakin?" Qui-Gon asked, as though he already knew what Anakin was about to tell him.

"I learned the truth about Darth Sidious," Anakin said, the words spilling forth. "And it's worse than we had imagined. Sidious isn't manipulating Palpatine. Sidious is Palpatine. Dooku wasn't lying when he told us about the Senate being under the control of the Sith."

"But because he was seen as a Sith, he knew he wouldn't be believed. How did you learn the truth, Anakin?"

"Palpatine told me, last night at the opera, about a Sith Lord by the name of Plagueis. That alone started me wondering how a Supreme Chancellor of the Republic would know anything about Sith lore. Then today, he began to speak of how I needed to accept both sides of the Force."

"Which led you to the conclusion that he was Sidious," Qui-Gon said, pieces falling into place. It explained how Grievous was able to break through Coruscan't defenses, as well as Palpatine's previously apparent, now deadly real, lust for power.

"A conclusion he himself confirmed," Anakin said. "But what do we do now? Because of the war, our most potent Masters are offworld." Then, as if realizing a potential gaffe, he added, "Except for you, of course."

"You forget yourself, Anakin," Qui-Gon said. "Mace might have wondered, and Yoda may have doubted, but I have never questioned your abilities. There is only one course of action we can take. The Chancellor must be removed from power, by any means necessary."

"Together we could handle Dooku," Anakin said. "But this is the man who twisted Dooku away from himself."

"Dooku chose his own path," Qui-Gon said, and there was definite sadness in his voice. "Perhaps Mace can help him to recover, but I have to wonder."

"Master," Anakin said, "I don't think I should come with you. The Chancellor almost convinced me to kill Dooku aboard the Invisible Hand. I don't want to risk the chance that he might try the same thing now, and succeed."

"If I hadn't already been sure that you were ready for the title of Master, I'd be certain now," Qui-Gon said. "It takes a true understanding of self to know when something is too great a temptation." He put a hand on Anakin's shoulder, just as he had done twelve years ago when he'd first tried to take Anakin as his Padawan. "Stay here, then. I'll take what Council members we have, and deal with Palpatine."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More to come Thursday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

18. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    And here I half expected you'd be looking for Ani to do precisely that.

I would have if I didn't like Mace and Padme so much... uh I mean Qui-Gon and Padme. But you're right, considering that Vader's my favorite villain from every universe I know.

THis'll be an interesting duel between Qui and Palpy. Good to see Anakin recognize his own weakness.

19. AP4EVER

May 23, 2005
    There was, in fact, only one person he could go to: Qui-Gon.

Good choice! Other than Padme, I think the only person he could confide in would be Qui-Gon, as he would be the most understanding.

"...it's worse than we had imagined. Sidious isn't manipulating Palpatine. Sidious is Palpatine. Dooku wasn't lying when he told us about the Senate being under the control of the Sith."

So now it's all out...But what will Qui-Gon do?

"Mace might have wondered, and Yoda may have doubted, but I have never questioned your abilities."

Yes, Qui-Gon further administers an antidote to quell Sidious' poison.

"Stay here, then. I'll take what Council members we have, and deal with Palpatine."

No! That's exactly what Sidious wants! Oh boy, things aren't going to be pretty in a while.

Fantastic post, Big T. Things are heating up! Can't wait to see what happens next!:D

20. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Sil: I hope the duel between Qui-Gon and Sidious will be to your liking. As for Ani, yes, he realizes a point of weakness. But can he avoid doing something stupid???

AP: Yes, after all those correct steps, Qui-Gon backslides a little by leaving Ani at the Temple. Then again, he is doing it at Anakin's suggestion...

Okay, here comes the next post!

"So, young Skywalker did decide to tell you the truth," Palpatine said as four Jedi Masters entered his private office. He didn't rise from the seat behind the bank of consoles, and didn't seem like he was in any hurry to rise.

"The war is over, Chancellor," Qui-Gon Jinn said, facing the Chancellor. He was flanked on one side by Saesee Tiin, while friend and ally Kit Fisto, along with Master Eeth Koth stood to Qui-Gon's left.

"Is it, Master Jedi?" Palpatine asked. "I was unaware of Count Dooku's death."

"Dooku is gone, and the remaining leaders will be in Republic hands as soon as Master Windu lands. But that isn't the important part. The war, which began right here, in this office, is at an end. The Separatist threat is gone, and the time has come for you to return the wartime powers you have accrued to the Senate, where they belong."

"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" Palpatine asked, and warning bells went off in Qui-Gon's head. He's trying to play us, the Jedi Master realized.

"Are you refusing, then, Chancellor?" Kit Fisto asked, stepping forward just a hair. "Has this become about something other than protecting the Republic?"

"Has it, instead, become about claiming total power?" Saesee Tiin asked.

"You're the telepath, Master Tiin," Palpatine said calmly, still seated. "You tell me."

"If you will not return the powers you have claimed to the Senate, then you leave me little choice. Under the laws of the Republic, which you once claimed to serve, I am placing you under arrest." Qui-Gon stepped forward, then hesitated. And in that moment, the Chancellor moved. He was faster than any average human of his age, but that was almost to be expected if he was indeed the Sith Lord Anakin thought him to be.

A red blade appeared from a lightsaber that hadn't been visible before, and Qui-Gon, in a split-second realized that it must have been hidden by the sleeve of Palpatine's robe. The crimson blade cut towards Saesee, who didn't even have time to bring his own blade up in defense. A moment later, Eeth Koth's head flew from his shoulders. And then the Chancellor was moving on Kit, whose verdant blade rose to meet the challenge.

The Chancellor struck high against Kit, and Qui-Gon stepped in, his blade moving low. But the Chancellor had spun, forcing Kit almost into Qui-Gon. The Chancellor flipped his blade, and buried it in Kit's back. "Don't worry about me," Kit said. "The Republic..." The he collapsed, though the Nautiloid wasn't dead yet.

"So it comes down to you and me, Master Jinn," Chancellor Palpatine said, but Qui-Gon realized that he could no longer think of the man that way.

"It would appear so, Lord Sidious," Qui-Gon said, keeping a respectable distance from the Sith Lord. Sidious had already shown himself a more capable fighter when he was in close. As long as Qui-Gon remained out of range, he was relatively safe. "Though I sense that this is a moment you have seen coming for some time."

"Ever since you brought young Skywalker from Tatooine. I have been watching him with great interest, as I told him I would. And I have always tried to give him the proper...encouragement."

"You mean tried to turn him away from the Jedi," Qui-Gon said, blocking another slashing cut from the crimson blade.

"I did nothing to turn him from the path of a Jedi, a true Jedi. But then, the Jedi Order is no longer what it once was. It has become corrupt, just like the Republic. It has all but asked for the return of the Sith. And now, you seem surprised that we have returned."

"We thought you had been eradicated," Qui-Gon said, his verdant blade slicing through the

21. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    interesting turn of events.

22. Windu2008

Windu2008 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    Very interesting turn of events.

Also, noticed Kit is alive...for now. Good.

And, of course, it comes down to the Son of the Suns himself.

Great Update! [:D]

23. AP4EVER

May 23, 2005
    Sidious has struck! And he's taking no prisoners.

But it seems his overconfidence may be getting the better of him.

At least I hope.

And now Anakin has made himself known to the duelers. He comes with the intent to help Qui-Gon...but will he end up helping Sidious in the end?

I sure hope not.

My heart rate increased as I read this post, as we're about to find out what Anakin will do. Can't wait to read more.:D

24. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Sil: Glad you find it so.

Windu: Yup, Kit's alive. I guess I just didn't like seeing him get taken down as easily as he was in the film. However, I think Sidious has dealt the Nautiloid a final blow.

AP: Did you think I'd really have Sidious hold back? And yes, Anakin has indeed come with the intent of aiding Qui-Gon...or has he? As for what Ani will do, well, you'll just have to wait and see.

And here comes the next post!

Anakin looked out the windows of the Council chamber, watching from atop the tallest spire of the Jedi Temple as Coruscant's sun slipped below the horizon. I should be with Qui-Gon, he thought. So why did I offer him a reason to leave me behind?

The more he thought about the decision, the more he began to doubt his decision. He could have put an end to the Sith himself, taking Palpatine - Sidious, he reminded himself - into custody himself. He hadn't needed to come back here and have Qui-Gon tell him what to do, it was obvious. If he wanted to protect the Republic, as he had sworn to do, he had but one option: destroy the Sith.

Yet he had come back here, had given the words of Sidious time to work their way into his mind. Sidious knew of Anakin's desire to protect Padme, otherwise he wouldn't have brought up the subject of Darth Plagueis. If Anakin wanted the secret to eternal life, it seemed he would have to find some way to keep the Sith Lord alive.

Yet did Sidious deserve to live? A better question, Anakin decided, was to ask whether it was safe for Sidious to live. After all, the Sith Lord had manipulated the entire galaxy into civil war. "I can't let that continue," Anakin said. "Too many lives have been lost already." He thought of the butchery on Haruun Kal, considered the atrocities that had nearly been committed on Dagu. He thought of the comrades that had been lost, such as Master Ranciss, and of Master Vos's slide towards the Dark Side. Sidious isn't worth it, Anakin decided.

Yet without his help, Padme might die, a traitorous little voice said. You need him alive if you're going to save her. Only with his knowledge can you truly protect her from everything. Or will you fail her, like you failed your mother?

There wasn't anything I could do to save her, Anakin thought, wishing that side of his mind would simply shut up and leave him alone. He let his head fall, his chin nearly touching his chest. His shoulders heaved as he sighed, letting all the frustration out. And in that one moment, when he emptied himself of all worry, a path became visible. It was narrow, but there was hope at the end. And it was the only way he might achieve all his goals.

He rose, grabbing the cloak that he had left hanging over one of the Council seats. He slipped it on, and left the Council chamber at a run. Moments later, he stood in one of the Temple motor pools, eyes scanning for a speeder. He didn't have much time, if he was going to do what he wanted. This was no time to be choosy. He leapt into one, and gunned the engine. He sped across Coruscant's airspace, docking the speeder at the Senate hall. He raced through familiar corridors, skidding to a stop a few meters from the Chancellor's office.

As he took a few moments to collect himself, he heard a sound that chilled him. He could hear a brace of lightsabers, their hums changing as the moved, and he cringed as he heard them crash together. Knowing what he was likely to face, he entered Palpatine's office.

"Indeed they shall," Sidious said. "They shall, and they have every right to, wouldn't you say, Anakin?"

Qui-Gon only now seemed to recognize Anakin's presence. "I'm sorry, Master," Anakin said. "But I had to come." And in that moment, when Qui-Gon's attention was elsewhere, Sidious lashed out.

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming Thursday, and it looks like a pivotal moment is at hand.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

25. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Wow, we hit the climax, and there isn't even a whisper of reply? I can't believe that everybody would be stunned speechless...

Okay, here comes the next post!

The force of the attack surprised Qui-Gon. Despite having seen Plo Koon make use of Force lightning, the concentration now used by Sidious was beyond anything Qui-Gon had ever seen. He thrust the blade of his lightsaber into the path of the Sith Lord's attack, but even that wasn't enough to keep some of the voltage from escaping.

"Anakin, I can't hold him forever!" Qui-Gon said, risking a brief glimpse at his former apprentice and deflecting the deadly lightning away from himself. With an explosive crash, the lightning shattered the window of Palpatine's office, a gale bursting in with no barrier to keep it out.

"The Sith will always survive, because the Jedi cannot exist without shadow," Sidious said. "Anakin knows the truth, now that the veil has been lifted." Even as he spoke, he continued to hurl lightning at the Jedi Master. But now, with the surprise gone, Qui-Gon was beginning to turn the lightning back on the Sith Lord.

The Chancellor's face began to distort, his hairline receding more rapidly than was possible through any natural process. The furrows in his brow deepened, any trace of sympathy vanishing. But it was the eyes that drove the point home for Qui-Gon. Palpatine's blue eyes had now gone yellow, and feral. The last time Qui-Gon had seen eyes like that had been in another Sith Lord, nearly twelve years ago. "You've been orchestrating this all along, haven't you?" he asked.

"It finally begins to dawn on him, Anakin," Sidious said, though his voice had become weaker. Clearly, maintaining the force of his assault was draining him, or the effect of the lightning that was being directed back at him. Finally, Sidious sank back, exhausted. He looked up at Qui-Gon. "I'm too weak, don't kill me."

"It ends here, milord," Qui-Gon said, his blade now at the Sith Lord's throat. "The Sith have risen like some kind of demonic phoenix for the last time. Your legacy ends...now."

"Anakin," Sidious said, turning his gaze towards the young man. "Don't let him kill me."

"You've caused the deaths of thousands," Anakin said, stepping into the office and to Qui-Gon side. "You plunged the Republic into war. And you've tried to turn me from my own destiny."

"I've tried to guide you to the point where you can make your choice, Anakin. You can destroy me, and allow the Sith to die...but that will not erase the power of the Dark Side. It will rise again."

"Don't let him toy with your emotions, Anakin. He's a born manipulator."

"We can't kill him," Anakin said. "He must stand trial."

"With the entire Senate on his side?" Qui-Gon said. "If he's to be tried, it should be by the Jedi."

"That's what he would want. Closed proceedings, hidden from view. You can't believe he wouldn't have a contingency plan."

"One that no doubt will work in his favor no matter what we do. We can't take the risk that he will poison others with his lies."

"Only through me can you save Padme," Sidious said, his gaze fixed not on the Jedi Master, or the lightsaber, but on Anakin. "Only through truly making the choice destiny demands of you."

"He promises to help you stave off death?" Qui-Gon said, recognizing motives beyond the Order driving Anakin's actions. He also realized that his old apprentice had wandered further from the codes of the Order than he'd realized. "Anakin, the Dark Side has nothing to do with life!" And as the Jedi Master turned to his former student, the blade twitched just a hair away from the Sith Lord's throat. Sidious sensed an opening, and took it.

The lightning slammed into Qui-Gon, nailing his sword arm. And as the lightsaber fell from unfeeling fingers, Sidious let loose with a volley beyond what he'd already thrown. Without the blade to block it, the voltage hit Qui-Gon like a physical thunderclap. It drove him backwards, and out the window.

"Master!" Anakin yel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.