main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Destiny's Decision (Post-TPM Smuggler-type)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by sither, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sither

sither Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2001
    Alright, A while ago, I started a story, and well, didn't continue it. It's so old that now it's locked :) I think I'm going to continue it now. Here's the first chapter of...

Title: Destiny's Decision

Time-Frame: Post-TPM

Summary: Jek and his droid Wix get more than they asked for in a simple slicing mission, when some very high rollers become involved.

Spoilers: None.
    (Edited from before)
    ----------------
    Chapter One - Into the Madness

Jek's comm beeped. He glanced over at his droid, Wix491.

"Pick it up!" The droid said, in as angry a tone it could muster. It wasn't that easy with the mechanical voice of his.

"Alright, alright," Jek answered, picking up his comm, and pressing the on/off button, "Hello?" He asked.

"Hello." It came out of the comm in a metallic voice. Obviously scrambled. Jek thought. "I have the job for you. You must complete the task by the predetermined time, or you won't be around to tell anyone about it." Jek calmed himself. He prided himself in never having failed one mission, and he wasn't about to start now. He thought it as a personal challenge to complete this 'mission' successfully. "I'll send it over the comm. Sorry no questions."

And with that, the comm dislinked. "Scan the info, and gimme a summary." He said to Wix.

"Do this, do that, why is it..."

"Just do it." Jek cut the droid off. Jek remembered when he had first met the droid. That was the day Jek had got his first job as a slicer. Now, he could get a contract job pretty much whenever he wanted, and he always got a better price nowadays. He had started out in the dirtiest part of Coruscant there was. That place was spat on by the people who lived in the slums of Coruscant. Jek shivered. He disliked the past, since the future always held much more opportunity. It showed in how he was living now. He lived on a very high level of Coruscant, fairly close to the Senate and Jedi Temple. It was risky, but that was half the fun. It wasn't that he disliked the authorities; it was just that they were always in his way. They haven't caught me yet, and I'm not planning on them doing so any time soon, Jek thought.

"Done." Wix said, and as he said that, there was a knock on the door.

"Cover," Jek whispered. They both ran behind a divider wall, as the door was knocked down. Lots of dust from the break came in, and Jek resisted the urge to choke with great hardship. Two large men came in. That was a surprise. Jek had figured these men were the guys from the client he had just spoken to. This was routine for clients - they always sent men to make sure Jek wasn't beginner scum. There was only two problems with this explanation - Usually the clients didn't send humans, and usually they didn't come this quickly. This was why they had caught him off-guard. Jek was angry with himself for being caught off-guard, but there was not time for anger, only for action. "On three," Jek whispered, as the men began to search for them. He held up one finger...one of the men looked at the divider...two fingers...he motioned to his friend, and they began to come over...THREE!

Jek jumped out of cover into a roll, shooting as he spun. At the same time, Wix stepped from behind the divider. Jek hit one in the leg, and the other in the head. The one he had shot in the head was gone, the only problem now was the other. Jek rolled behind a pillar. The man that was still alive began to return the fire, but now, he was half outside the room, and therefore a harder target. He looked around, but could not see Wix. Where was that good for nothing coward? he wondered, probably hiding, he thought. They both continued to shoot, but neither man hit the target. Then the fire stopped. Jek darted out for a quick look, and saw the man sprawled on the floor, with Wix on top of him. Evidently, Wix had come around the other way, and shot him.

"Thanks." Jek said, out of breath, to Wix.

"As long as you're willing to return the favour," Wix joked. Jek had saved his life dozens of times in such sit

2. sither

May 3, 2001
    Anyone? (UP)

3. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    very good. Be patient with readers too becuase many of them read your story, but dont post. :)

4. sither

May 3, 2001
    Thanks, and Thanks for telling me, Black_Hole. This post is a bit shorter, and a little bit slower paced. It is quite different from the original version. Here it is:
    -------------------------------------------
    Chapter 2 ? The First Sparks Fall

Two men wasted! Well, it was for a good cause. Now it would become more complicated. So complicated that he would have to continue with his plan himself. There was no one that he knew of that could accomplish the thing that he wanted?no needed done. He would not fail as those men had failed. He was far more powerful than anyone else could ever hope to be...soon.

"We will have to begin on the slicing now,? Wix said.

?Ya, I guess we will.? Jek replied, ?I just don?t know where to start!?

?That?s why you have me,? The droid said impatiently. How can a droid look impatient? Jek asked himself.

?Knew I could count on you,? he said smiling

"Then let?s get to it.? And they began. He remembered when he had met the droid. He had found a blaster, and, for fun, shot the droid. It was a stupid game, but he had been younger at the time. He was now fourty standard years. Jek had found the blaster when he was twenty-four. He looked back, even further, and remembered when he'd got his start at slicing. Jek tried his best not to feel nostalgic.

He needed to get to work. Jek turned on his automated protocol unit - the top of the line - and got to work.

She had not stumbled upon it intentionally. It had just been lying there, for anyone to see. Gweva had returned from her second time around the temple. Already it had gotten boring. Then, she had found something. She hid it under her cloak, and brought it back to her quarters. She sat on her bed and looked at it. It looked kind of like a Jedi Holocron. One of the old masters might be inside of it, and they could tell her secrets of The Jedi. It looked in some way different than the ones she had seen-

?Hello, am I interrupting anything?? Someone was here to attend to her rooms. Quickly she hid the holocron in her pocket.

?Uh, no, go ahead,? she said, and left her room. Her break was over anyway. She went back to the training section of the temple.

"I see you have returned. Late." Master Windu said, when she approached him.

?I am sorry. It is time to continue my training," She said.

"I have always believed in you," the old Jedi Master said, seeming not to have heard her. "I have spoken to the Jedi Council. Some of them believe that you have the potential, but cannot exercise it. You must concentrate on your training.? Master Windu waited for an answer.

?But haven?t you just given me free time?? She asked, slightly confused.

He sighed, ?It was a test of willpower, and you have failed miserably. You returned late." Not another Jedi-test that makes no sense, she thought, groaning. She was always failing tests the Jedi gave her. That was why most of her childhood friends were now apprentices, and she was still a trainee. The oldest trainee in the temple. Not for long! she though to herself, Soon I will do something none of them will soon forget!

Wix listened to Jek finish negotiations. They had contacted everyone they knew. Finally a contact of a contact of theirs had plans to the Jedi Temple. It wasn?t going to come at a low price.

?I don?t think so!? Jek was rejecting another absurd price.

?One Hundred Thousand? The lady lowered his price slightly

?Twenty-thousand is the most I can give you. And that?s obviously way too much!? Jek said.

?Your friend told me how much you need this. He owed me a favour.? She answered his obvious question before he had a chance to think it. Some favour.

Suddenly Jek had an idea. ?Twenty Thousand and information.? He said.

?What kind of information.?

?Information about what is so valuable to me,? he said. Mercs were always suckers to curiosity.

?Fifty-thousand and the info? she said.

?Done.?

5. sither

May 3, 2001
    UP! Come on, I need some feedback :)

6. sither

May 3, 2001
    Anyone that sees this please answer? Don't even have to post comments, I just wanna know if there's only one person reading this, 'cause then it's not worth writing.

7. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Keep it going. I like it. The more you write the more people you'll attract.

8. sither

May 3, 2001
    Alright, I'll try a bit more. I'll have some up today (hopefully)

9. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

10. sither

May 3, 2001
    Here ya go. It's a bit shorter still-

Chapter 3 ? Frustration

?something none of them will soon forget, Gweva?s own words echoed in her mind. She looked at the holocron. She had been taught all of her life that, after finding something of this magnitude, a master should be told immediately. But this wasn?t a find. This was old information. The Jedi probably already knew all of the secrets contained in this cube. And she didn?t. It wasn?t like stealing. She would return it soon enough.

Finally, curiousity got the best of her. She pulled on the top. Nothing happened. Obviously there was some other way to open this device. She calmed her mind, reaching out to the force. It filled her, and she told it to push the device open. Again nothing happened. She was beginning to get frustrated. Obviously there was some mysterious way that you had to open it. She searched her memory ? had she ever heard a master give a holocron a command? She could not think of one.

After trying to open it for a while more, she just gave up. Angrily, she threw the stupid thing on the floor. It made a muffled thud on the carpet, and banged up against the wall. The engravings on the sides were not marred. It was well past the time she was supposed to have her lights out, and she was very tired, so she went to bed.

Jek, on the other hand, was far from asleep. Him and the droid had been waiting at the lowly diner that they were supposed to meet the woman at for over half an hour. He hadn?t had a single drink since he wanted to be wary if he was falling into a well-laid trap. He held his blaster hidden, but ready under the table. Wix, on the other hand, was sitting there as if he had all of the time in the world.

?Sorry I?m late,? a woman said, approaching the table, ?but there?s no need for your blaster.? Jek reluctantly put his blaster back into it?s holster. He considered himself a quick draw, but there were many who could beat him by seconds. She pulled a data card from her pocket, and slid it across the table. Wix picked it up, and started scanning it.

?Where?s the money?? she asked, with a slight nervous touch to her voice. Perhaps she was slightly new to this. Jek opened his hand to show her. She grabbed it out of his hand, and slid it in his pocket. It didn?t seem as if she had any bodyguards, unless they were hidden. But Jek could see no point in hidden bodyguards. Guards were generally near their employer for show of force. The only times when that was different, was when they wanted more.
    She pulled a blaster out of her pocket, and aimed it at Jek?s head. He tried to look calm, but under the circumstances, it was very difficult.

?What do you want?? He asked.

?Double,? she said, ?I never wanted the information, you idiot.? Wix had changed his hand into a gun ? one of the advantages of an assassin droid ? but not quick enough. If he shot, then Jek would be a dead man. He did not have any more money on him, and if she learned that, then she would probably kill him. There was only one thing to do. Jek looked over at Wix, and he nodded. The data card contained the plans to the Jedi temple. A mistake on the woman?s part. If Jek was lucky, then maybe her last. He bent his knees, and pushed off the chair, attempting to do a back flip. She shot a couple of blasts. One went by his ear, and the other off his foot. He landed hard on his stomach. He watched, as Wix fired a succession of shots at the woman, right in the head.

?Come on Wix, let?s get out of here.? He turned to go, but immediately after turning, found himself facing a tall muscular man, who grabbed Jek by the wrists, and held him. Jek tried a kick, but the man easily blocked it with his foot.

?Calm down, and I won?t have to hurt you,? the muscular man said. He seemed to leave out a word ? yet. Jek saw in the background, someone behind Wix. He had been shut off, but how? Wix could only be shut off internally. It would take someone far superior at slicing than him to turn an assass

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Jek is kinda a weird name, but i like it anyway.

12. sither

May 3, 2001
    Nice to see new readers, smuggler. umm...thanks? :D

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble with the 'Jek' part of this chapter, but I've already done the rest so here it is:

Chapter 4 ? Success and Defeat

Gweva woke up early, and with renewed fervour. She really wanted to get the stupid holocron open. She had woken up an hour before her training was to start, and spent the better part of that hour with no luck. Finally, towards the end she became very angry, and began yelling at it. She hated the terrible thing. If only she could get it open, she could prove to the Jedi she wasn?t an idiot after all.
    ?Just open UP!? she shouted
    ?Yes?? Popped up a holographic image of a hooded force-user.
    ?Sorry, master,? she said, putting her eyes down. She felt kind of silly asking a long-dead master for forgiveness, but if she wished to get any information out of him, he would have to treat the image with respect.
    ?It is of no consequence, but I must tell you something. This holocron was never completed. Perhaps I died, or perhaps I lost interest, but some information may be missing.? There was a pause. ?Where are we, my child??
    ?In the Jedi Temple.? She said matter-of-factly
    ?We have taken it over?? the image asked, looking as if the answer would meant nothing to it, or him.
    ?You lived in a time when the Jedi had lost the temple?? she asked. The image looked on for a second more. Perhaps not able to answer, because of its incomplete state. Gweva was about to say something when it finally gave a response.
    ?Yes, I lived in such a time. It was a sad time for the Jedi. I am glad. We are now flourishing??
    ?Yes,? Gweva answered, ?There are thousands throughout the galaxy.
    ?I know,? Gweva was now slightly confused, but dared say nothing. ?I am guessing you wish to learn from me.? He posed it as more of an answer than a question.
    ?Well, yes,? she said. It was a good thing this holocron didn?t question her having access to a holocron. It was quite obvious that this man wasn?t with the times. She had seen holocrons, and they had been in full colour. This was limited to a few colours. Perhaps it was because of its incomplete state. Her heart fell when she remembered the time. She was already late for training. She rushed out of the room, forgetting the holocron, still on. Her only comfort as she ran down the cold echoing halls to her training was that at least she hadn?t broken a perfect on-time record.

--------------------------------------------------------
    A bit short, but it's not the whole chapter. I'll hopefully have the rest up by tommorow. If not then soon.

13. sither

May 3, 2001
    Alright, I'm done the second part of the chapter. Please post comments --:(--

Chapter 4 - Success and Defeat (cont.)

?Thought you could pay so little for something that?s worth so much?? The muscular man asked, rhetorically. Jek kept his face straight, and chose not to answer.

?Now you wanna look tough, hey?? The man asked again. Jek hoped he was doing the right thing, even though everything inside of him told him that he wasn?t. Without warning, the man punched Jek in the face. Jek felt dizzy but tried to keep his face straight. The man kicked Jek in his pocket. The same pocket that held the data-card. Jek winced at a loud crushing noise. The man smiled; he had heard it also. He reached his stubby fingers into Jek?s pocket and pulled out what was left of the card. Held held it between his fingers, and let it crumble to the floor, piece by piece. The man punched Jek to the head once more, and left. He obviously had had some relation to the woman Jek had just killed. As the man walked out of the door, Jek began to weep. It had been for nothing. The data was gone.

As Wix was activated, he looked in both directions quickly. He just noticed that he had been deactivated, obviously by that woman?s bodyguards. He looked around to see who had turned him back on. It was a female Rodian ? the bartender.

?Your master got a little scratched up,? she said, with a heavy accent.

?Yeah,? Wix said, choosing not to dispute that. The droid looked over at his master. He had a large bruise on his forehead, and was lying on the floor.

?Sorry about all of this,? Wix said.

?It?s not a problem, but you should get him some help,? she said.

?Yeah. Thanks for the help,? Wix said, and carried Jek outside of the bar. The droid carried him for a while more, until eventually finding their speeder, which they had ?safely? parked far away from the bar. It would be a lot safer if Wix wasn?t carrying more weight than was safe on his mechanical back, but it was all that he could do for Jek, after all the things Jek had done for him. Wix began the long journey back to their apartment.

14. sither

May 3, 2001
  15. sither

May 3, 2001
    UP! reaction? come one!

16. sither

May 3, 2001
    Anyone still reading?

17. sither

May 3, 2001
    Alright...I don't think I'm going to write any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.