Beyond - Legends Destiny's Heir (HTTE AU) Completed 2/19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    The_Face: Glad you like Pellaeon. I've always liked him too, which is somewhat rare when it comes to Imperials. Expect to see more of him as the fic moves forward.

SithGirl: I don't know if I've given him depth, or if he's just deep as created by Zahn. I think I have gotten into his head a bit early, though.

dancing_star: I love going back to Zahn's novels. It seems I always find something new that I hadn't seen before.

Liz: I wouldn't be surprised if some of your thoughts see the light of day here, as they're good ones, and somewhat in line with plans I have for the fic.

correllian_ale: Sorry for it being short, but I'm still in the beginning stages of the fic. So there's likely to be a few shorter posts, I'm afraid.

Sil: Thanks for dropping in!

Jade_eyes: You're getting a bit ahead of yourself, but I'll tell this much: you will be seeing Mara in this fic. I'm not so sure about Karrde as of yet.

Kripp: Hope so!

PHGS: Heir to the Empire was the first one for me too. I actually stopped for a while until a friend introduced me to Anderson's trilogy. I started up again and never looked back.

VaderLVR: Glad I'm doing ol' Gilad justice in your eyes.

Kevin: Yes, I'm drawing heavily on the beginning of HttE, though more from my memory of the audio version, which I've listened to countless times while cutting the lawn. But I did want to get a little deeper with Pellaeon, so I'm glad it worked!

Okay, that'll do it for replies. On with the tale!

"Do you know anything about art, Captain?" Thrawn asked, gesturing around the command room. Pellaeon had noticed the art upon entering, but hadn't really given it much thought.

"I've never really had the time. My career came first," Pellaeon said.

"A pity more of our officers haven't taken the time to truly study art," Thrawn said. "Sometimes it can?" He was cut off as an alarm wailed through the ship, and Tschel's voice came through the comm from the bridge.

"Bridge to Grand Admiral Thrawn," Tschel said. "We're under attack!"

Thrawn reached forward, touching a control. "Calm down, lieutenant," Thrawn said. "Report."

"The fighters are attacking, but the frigate is hanging back. They're apparently afraid of our guns."

"Not necessarily, Lieutenant," the Grand Admiral said softly. "Order flight control to release one flight of TIE fighters. Let us see how the Rebels reply." The monitor before Thrawn showed the blips of the Chimaera's TIE fighters as they swept out from the ventral hanger of the Star Destroyer. The Rebel fighters made for the TIEs almost immediately, and Pellaeon smiled tightly. This was going to be a short engagement.

"Interesting, how the frigate's hanging back," Thrawn said as the Rebel fighters began to blink out of existence. He touched the control to the bridge. "Lieutenant Tschel, authorize starboard battery one to open fire. One volley."

"As ordered, Admiral," Tschel said. The frigate moved away from the fire, as Pellaeon had expected. He did wonder, though, why Thrawn had only authorized a single battery, just as he only allowed one flight of TIEs.

"Admiral, if I may, we should take them before they decide to run."

"They've already made that decision," Thrawn said. "Or rather, they'll try to run. It's the only option left to them, now that their starfighter screen has been destroyed. You see, Captain, there's a Neimoidian leading this task force."

"A Neimoidian?" Pellaeon asked. "In charge of a military task force?"

"It happens on rare occasions," Thrawn said. "Otherwise, they wouldn't have played the role in history that they have." Once more, he touched the control for the bridge. "Lieutenant, all turbolaser batteries are given authorization to fire. We don't want the Rebellion learning about us just yet." Then he closed the comm line. "Now, Captain, I believe you're wondering about our next move. Are you familiar with the planet Myrkr?"
  2. PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ha! First! And great job Tych_sel!

I loved it, i agree awesome line!

Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr
  3. dancing_star Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful update, Tych_sel!:) I'm really looking forward to see where you take this fic! [face_dancing] I liked the pulled verbatim from the book too!
    Awesome!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=
  4. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    You've definitely captured Thrawn's disturbing calm here. One of the most threatening aspects of him is that he doesn't generally let emotion drive him. Just cold efficiency. :cool:

Nice post.
  5. SithGirl132 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I love your characterization of Thrawn! So smart and calm...perfect. Absolutely perfect. And a Neimoidian- obviously I have to re-read HTTE, since I don't remember if that was from the book! I love it! Can't wait for more.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    Great update!! =D= Can't wait to catch up on the Rebel side of things :D
  7. Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Chapter 2 was fine. As it's, by your own admission, rather like Heir to the Empire, I'm waiting to see what happens when things start to really diverge. [face_thinking]
  8. ccp Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks like Thrawn is weaving his web.
  9. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    still up to his old tricks, I see Thrawn is. Hmm, the next chapter.....are Han and Leia married? Will Li Secura make an appearance in ghost form? [face_thinking]
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Superb update! You've certainly captured Thrawn's character here.

=D=
  11. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    PHGS: Glad you liked it.

dancing_star: Well, I hope that what's keeping will keep you interested and wanting more.

The_Face: You're right, his calm efficiency is a little disturbing. But there's also something about it that makes him great. You know he's not going to fly off the handle and start executing everyone who shows up with bad news.

Sith_Girl: You won;t find any Neimoidians in HttE. It was Duros leading the fleet there, and Thrawn dealt with that commander a little differently. Just as he should, of course.

Jade_eyes: Well, you'll get some of the Rebels in tonight's post, so you need wait no longer.

Kevin: Well, one change is definitely coming tonight.

ccp: Which should not be entirely unexpected.

Liz: Yup, Thrawn's up to his old tricks. As for your questions, you'll just have to wait and see.

VaderLVR: Glad you think so!

Okay, here comes the first Leia-centric post of the fic!

With a sizzling hiss, the blades of the two lightsabers came together. They were held there for a moment before the defender dropped her guard, and ducked. She leveled a punch at her opponent's stomach, but the other was just quick enough to leap back, out of reach. With a sigh, Mara Jade shut down her blade.

"And what would you have done if you didn't have room to leap back like that?" she asked, brushing a stray strand of red-gold hair back from her face.

"I wouldn't have let you get that close if I didn't have somewhere to go. You let yourself get too caught up in the duel, without paying enough attention to your surroundings," Leia Skywalker Solo said, shutting down her own, teal-bladed saber. "Other than that, a good session," she said.

"Thanks," Mara replied. She still didn't know that she felt comfortable with the freedom she had. Under the Empire, an enemy agent would have been tossed in the deepest dungeons of the Imperial Palace and left there to rot. Leia had dragged her off the Death Star, risking her own life, and then given Mara every opportunity. She'd even taken it upon herself to train Mara as a Jedi.

"I sometimes wonder why you're willing to do all of this. I could have easily killed you a dozen times over. It's what I was trained to do, raised to do."

"But you haven't," Leia said, tossing Mara a towel. "You haven't done anything to hurt the New Republic, and I don't think you will. In the end, you've always been a servant of others, which I think may have kept you from being tainted by Palpatine's evil."

"Just because they weren't my ideas didn't mean I haven't done evil," Mara said.

"But you never did it with any malicious intent," Leia said. "In fact, one might say that walking in the shadows has made you stronger, and been a positive force."

"Perhaps. But there have to be those who don't trust me. I've seen the way that Ackbar looks at me. Not to mention Colonel Bremen."

"Let me deal with the others," Leia said. They left the room, stepping out into one of the broad hallways of the Imperial Palace's upper floors. There had been attempts to change the name, as had been done with Coruscant, but nothing seemed to describe the edifice adequately except Imperial Palace. "Luke wanted to see me about something, but then I was thinking the three of us could spend some time going over some additional exercises I found in the Archives."

"I thought Palpatine destroyed most of the Jedi records on training," Mara said.

"He tried, but there were some things that he couldn't get to. The records of the Chu'unthor, for example. There were also a few things hidden in the records Corran unearthed."

"I'm surprised you haven't tried more to get him to give up the life of a fighter pilot," Mara said. "He and Katarn could both have futures as Jedi."

"If it's their destiny, then they'll realize it in their own good time," Leia said. "I'd better get going. Luke would kill me if I show up before the Provisional Council smelling like this."

+++++++++++

12. dancing_star Jedi Master

star 4
    With a sizzling hiss, the blades of the two lightsabers came together. They were held there for a moment before the defender dropped her guard, and ducked. She leveled a punch at her opponent's stomach, but the other was just quick enough to leap back, out of reach. With a sigh, Mara Jade shut down her blade.

"And what would you have done if you didn't have room to leap back like that?

:eek: Whew!! You had me fooled for a second![face_shame_on_you]:p *sighs in relief*

"I'd better get going. Luke would kill me if I show up before the Provisional Council smelling like this."[face_laugh]

Awesome update! :) I really like how Leia's been taking in Mara to train her as well as the trust and friendship between the two. Bravo!
    =D= =D==D==D=
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    Love this update. Love the mirror image of Luke and Mara's conversation in VOTF. It worked wonderfully between she and Leia, and I agree with Leia's conclusions :D Love the idea of Leia & Mara's Jedi-student relationship, and they also seem comfortable with each other. :) Since Mara's not laden with the burden of the Last Command ;) there's a chance for friendships and any ... romantic interest [face_dancing] to deepen that much sooner [face_dancing]
  14. PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Great Job!

Wonderfully AU!

I can't wait to see the next post!

Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr
  15. ccp Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for letting me know about this, Tych_sel. =D= As you promised, it's changing, with the reminder that Leia is the Jedi, also training Mara, and that Luke is the politician.

This was a good bit, emphasing the difference:

"Thanks," Mara replied. She still didn't know that she felt comfortable with the freedom she had. Under the Empire, an enemy agent would have been tossed in the deepest dungeons of the Imperial Palace and left there to rot. Leia had dragged her off the Death Star, risking her own life, and then given Mara every opportunity. She'd even taken it upon herself to train Mara as a Jedi.

"I sometimes wonder why you're willing to do all of this. I could have easily killed you a dozen times over. It's what I was trained to do, raised to do."

"But you haven't," Leia said, tossing Mara a towel. "You haven't done anything to hurt the New Republic, and I don't think you will. In the end, you've always been a servant of others, which I think may have kept you from being tainted by Palpatine's evil."

"Just because they weren't my ideas didn't mean I haven't done evil," Mara said.

"But you never did it with any malicious intent," Leia said. "In fact, one might say that walking in the shadows has made you stronger, and been a positive force."

"Perhaps. But there have to be those who don't trust me. I've seen the way that Ackbar looks at me. Not to mention Colonel Bremen."

Good to see that you're dealing with this. It's also good that you made clear that not all Force-sensitive people want to be Jedi, something too many fan fiction writers believe:

"He tried, but there were some things that he couldn't get to. The records of the Chu'unthor, for example. There were also a few things hidden in the records Corran unearthed."

"I'm surprised you haven't tried more to get him to give up the life of a fighter pilot," Mara said. "He and Katarn could both have futures as Jedi."

"If it's their destiny, then they'll realize it in their own good time," Leia said.

I liked the bit at the end, reminding us that Luke is the politician in that family:

"I'd better get going. Luke would kill me if I show up before the Provisional Council smelling like this."

This is something Leia would have said to Luke in the ordinary time line.

:D
  17. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thanks for the PM. I wanted to reply last night, but my computer mouse was acting up. I'm glad to see Leia is training Mara. Glad to know Mara is not working for Karrde. I hope Leia would try to train Luke. ;) If its anything like Luke attempting to start Leia's training in the original TTT books, his training probably would have kept getting interrupted. Now is Leia pregnant with Jaina and Jacen? Or since this timeline is different, will that be changed slightly? Regardless, I am loving where this is going. :)
  18. Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Seems that the ladies are doing well... The pair is really fine, but I wonder how they will stand against Thrawn machiavelic plan... [face_devil]
  19. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    So Leia is the family Jedi instead of Luke? [face_thinking] I wonder what made him not follow it. I have a couple ideas, but I'll just follow the ride and find out. :D

Good update!
  20. SithGirl132 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahh, Leia and Mara again, and not trying to kill each other! Fantastic! Congrats on the college football title, too. Can't wait for more...
  21. correllian_ale Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "A Neimoidian?" Pellaeon asked. "In charge of a military task force?"

"It happens on rare occasions," Thrawn said. "Otherwise, they wouldn't have played the role in history that they have."

It's so nice to have a fuller story to fall back on. :p This line tickled me because it made me think of Outbound Flight. ;)

+++++++++++

"In fact, one might say that walking in the shadows has made you stronger, and been a positive force."

;)

Great updates Tych!

+++++++++++

22. SilSolo Jedi Knight

star 5
    I've a friend/dormmate who's into college football (rare for girls to follow, it seems)

and so Leia and Mara and Luke are training together, hmm? interesting
  23. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    star: Glad you liked seeing Leia training Mara. In the previous story, there's been a line that they could have been like sisters. Now, I'm getting to show that they have become somewhat close.

Jade_eyes: I hadn't even thought of VOTF in particular when writing this, but you're right, it does mirror the conversation nicely. Leia and Mara do seem comfortable with each other, but that doesn't say that Mara's going to be all that comfortable with Luke!

PHGS: Glad you think so!

ccp: Thanks!

Kevin: Glad you like the changes I'm weaving in. I almost laughed writing that last line, and had to put it in there.

Liz: You'll just have to wait for a few of the questions to be answered, though the one about Jacen and Jaina should be getting answered for you in tonight's post, though I'm not going to say how quite yet.

Kripp: Yes, Thrawn shoudl have his hands full, shouldn't he?

Face: Actually, the answer to the whole Luke/Leia thing is simple. When I wrote "Destiny's Hope," from which this fic springs, I flip-flopped Luke & Leia. So Leia's just following the path her brother did in canon, while he's following hers.

SithGirl: And it's much better when they're not trying to kill each other, right?

corellian_ale: I might have been thinking of OF when I wrote that bit in.

Okay, here comes the next post, as Leia really takes center stage.

Leia let the orowood door swing shut behind her, then pulled off her tunic. She tossed it onto a chair, and headed for the refresher. She actually did have a meeting with Luke later, but didn't want to get into another debate with Mara about the future of the Jedi. She also knew that pushing at Kyle or Corran would only alienate them, and she didn't want that. As Mara had hinted at, both men had skills that they could offer.

Removing the rest of her clothes, she stepped into the shower, and let the water run through her hair and down her back. She ran through a quick exercise to calm herself, then drew upon the Force for a little more energy. She'd been running into these periods where she nearly felt exhausted, and blamed it partially on the pregnancy. Not that she'd ever let Han get a hint of that thought.

She exited the shower, and dressed, a simple pair of black pants with a cream-colored shirt. She once joked that she'd taken one of Han's old shirts, and remade it to fit her. Then she lay down on the bed, and closed her eyes for a few moments.

"Leia," she heard, and snapped into an upright position, swinging her feet off the bed. Her lightsaber was still attached to her belt, a good few feet away. But as she recognized the voice, she realized she had no need of the Jedi weapon, no reason to call for security. "Hello, Aayla. It's been quite a while."

"I know it has," Aayla Secura said, her image shimmering into existence before Leia. "I' afraid that it's likely to be a good while longer."

"Why?" Leia said.

"The distance between us is becoming too great. You've moved on, while I have, in a sense, remained over Yavin IV. My role in this universe is coming to an end."

"But we still need you," Leia said.

"You don't need me, Leia, and moreover, you know it. You've become a Jedi, and have taken steps towards building a new Order. But beware letting down your guard. The Emperor may be gone, but that doesn't mean the Sith are dead. Never forget that the Dark Side is still as powerful as ever."

"I won't. And I won?t forget what happened to my father. Or to his teacher." She'd never met Qui-Gon Jinn, the man who'd trained Anakin Skywalker, but she'd heard how he'd felt responsible for Anakin's fall. "I'll learn from the mistakes of others."

"There will be some who show great potential for the Force, but remember that ambition can sometimes lead to the Dark Side. You will yet face great danger, but you will not face it alone. New allies will rise to join you, and some will come from places you don't expect them."

"If I le
  24. dancing_star Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, poor Leia! *sniff* Just like Obi Wan appearing for the last time to Luke. :(:_|
    She's strong though, and after all she's been through, this can't be too bad. But still. :(
    Fabulous update!!! Looking forward to more! :)
    =D= =D==D==D=
  25. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Three potential new allies? [face_thinking] Who could they be?

Good Post. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.