Beyond Destiny's Heir (HTTE AU) Completed 2/19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Enjoyed Karrde & meeting Nera :) :)
  2. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh, nice job! Thanks for the update, Tych_Sel!:) Wonderful!!!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=
    P.S. Have a Happy New Year! :D

3. correllian_ale Jedi Master

star 4
    But we still need you," Leia said.

"You don't need me, Leia, and moreover, you know it. You've become a Jedi, and have taken steps towards building a new Order. But beware letting down your guard. The Emperor may be gone, but that doesn't mean the Sith are dead. Never forget that the Dark Side is still as powerful as ever."

"I won't. And I won?t forget what happened to my father. Or to his teacher." She'd never met Qui-Gon Jinn, the man who'd trained Anakin Skywalker, but she'd heard how he'd felt responsible for Anakin's fall. "I'll learn from the mistakes of others."

Great update Tych!

"You may join the Emperor's Guardian." Blue white lightning leapt from his fingertips, racing towards the pilot?and vanishing inches from her. The pilot smiled, and lowered her hood, revealing red-brown hair, and startlingly cold green eyes. "You are not Jedi," the old man said, appearing confused.

"No," Lumiya said. "I am Sith."

:D What a cool showdown I would have never had thought of!

A bunch of great updates Tych!

All caught up now, so keep it coming! :D
  4. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    hmmm, this Nera girl seems interesting. She was with the Alliance at some point? Could she have been "Winter" who was Leia's aide in the regular non AU universe? Or maybe not......
  5. ccp Force Ghost

star 4
  6. Darth_Kripp Jedi Master

star 3
    Rather ambiguous, but all the more interesting! :)
  7. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
  8. Tych_sel Force Ghost

star 4
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked seeing Karrde. You do realize he'll be up to his usual tricks, right?

dancing_star: Thanks for the well wishes. Glad you liked it.

corellian_ale: Thanks! I enjoyed writing Lumiya and C'Boath, but I knew it was going to be a short scene. Otherwise, they would simply have chewed up too much scenery.

Liz: Nope, Nera's not Winter. She actually comes from the Empire line of comics, and had a bit of a fling with Biggs.

ccp: Thanks!

Kripp: You expected something else from me?

VaderLVR: Glad you liked it!

Okay, with the last days of 2007 behind us, it's time I get this thing started again for 2008.

"I wonder," Luke Organa said as he paced before the window of his quarters in the Imperial Palace, "whether this is what I'm supposed to be doing."

"What do you mean?" asked his guest. "The Republic needs you, Luke."

"But is this the best way for me to serve the Republic?" Luke asked. "There aren't many who have access to the Force, and part of me feels like I'm betraying the Republic by placing politics ahead of training as a Jedi."

"We all have to make sacrifices, Luke. I had thought I was ready to settle down on Naboo, and pretty much retire into obscurity. I thought history had decided to write me out of galactic affairs. Then you and your sister arrived on the scene."

"Are you saying that you would have been happier if we'd just left you alone?" Luke asked.

"I'm not sure what I'm saying, Luke," Pooja Naberrie said. "I just know that when you arrived on Naboo, it signaled a change in the direction my life was taking. Queen Kylantha asked me to serve as Naboo's representative, and I found myself, like you, taking a leading role in the formation of a new government. Maybe when things settle down?"

"If they settle down. I just got word that one of our task forces near Obroa-skai vanished."

"Vanished? Luke, ships, much less task forces, don't simply disappear."

"Don't I know it," Luke said. "And worse, if I got the report?"

"So did Fey'lya," Pooja said, sighing. "Sometimes I wonder if he really wants the Republic to succeed."

"Oh, he wants to see the New Republic succeed," Luke said. "He just isn't all that comfortable taking orders. He'd rather have his fingers in every aspect of government."

"Which is why he can't be allowed," Pooja said. "It smacks too much of imperialism. But you're right. The New Republic needs Bothan support, and Fey'lya gives it to us. How long does Han expect it to take him to get back?"

"He said he should be back tomorrow afternoon. He might be able to make it in the morning if he pushes the Falcon's limits."

"I'd rather he not," Pooja said. "Not only for Leia's sake, but I have a feeling we're going to need him before tomorrow's Council meeting is finished."

"You're expecting trouble?"

"Given what you just told me?"

"You think Fey'lya's going to make another push to remove Ackbar."

"I don?t think 'remove' is the word I'd choose. But he's probably going to try and marginalize Ackbar's position on the Council."

"That sort of political infighting's the sort of thing that's going to have some wondering if things weren't better under the Empire," Luke said. "We can't let things get that far."

"Then somebody needs to explain to Fey'lya the consequences of his actions."

"Fey'lya's only going to change if he has to. Unless he does something really stupid, we aren't going to be able to convince him to just let Ackbar do what he does best."

"I have a feeling we might have some tough times ahead, Luke. Perhaps we'll need a Councilor with a glimpse of the bigger picture."

"Then I suppose I'd better track Leia down," Luke said, smiling for the first time since the conversation had begun. It seems I've got a lot of work to do, and not much time to do it in."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. I'll be starting Chapter 3 this weekend.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  9. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    "Then I suppose I'd better track Leia down," Luke said, smiling for the first time since the conversation had begun. It seems I've got a lot of work to do, and not much time to do it in."
    Seems to be the case a lot for them. :( Lots of work and not enough time.[face_tired] :rolleyes: Then again, it seems to be the case with most everyone. :p

Looking forward to more! :D Wonderful update!!:)
    =D= =D= =D= =D=
  10. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So Luke's gonna be hot oon Leia's trail. and interesting debate with Pooja
  11. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Great update. Fey'lya's a piece of work in this AU I see. [face_frustrated] ;) I agree with Star--too much to do and not enough time--and if you happen to be caught off guard on top of it--oops! [face_worried]
  12. Darth_Kripp Jedi Master

star 3
    Good luck, Luke. This is a real political nest!!! Sometimes, I wonder if the Empire wasn't better in some ways. [face_devil]
  13. PHGS_Weyr Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Luke, in politics... ouch... Great update Tych! Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr
  14. Tych_sel Force Ghost

star 4
    dancing_star: All too often, we feel that there isn't enough time for us to do what we'd like. But if there was, what would we have to work towards?

Sil: I wouldn't say he'll be hot on her tail, but he's probably planning to spend a little more time training than he has up to this point.

Jade: Fey'lya's a piece of work in any fic I wirte. He's just so easy to hate, yet there's something about him that means he always seems to wind up on the winning side.

Kripp: Give me politics over a dictatorship anyday, please!

PHGS: Well, it is where his strengths lie. Remember, even in canon, Mon Mothma told Luke that he could have been Leia's equal in the political arena had their paths been different...

Okay, here comes the next post!

Chapter 3

For once, I'm grateful that the Chimera isn't any faster, Pellaeon thought as the shuttle descended towards the heavily forested world that Thrawn identified as Wayland. He wasn't sure what the Grand Admiral expected to find here, but it had something to do with the Force.

"Let's just say that the ysalamiri is rather unique when it comes to the Force," Thrawn said. It was the only explanation Pellaeon had gotten before the tech crews had been ordered to come up with some sort of portable frame for the furry creatures. I'm really not looking forward to this, he thought as he watched the tree covered world fill the cockpit's canopy. It wasn't a doubt about Thrawn, but rather, the Grand Admiral's unnamed source.

"I don't see why we couldn't have just brought a few squads of stormtroopers with us," Pellaeon said. "Or why we should even have a problem, especially if this 'Guardian' you're expecting to find was chosen by the Emperor."

"A squadron of stormtroopers might have offended him. As for why we might have a problem, surely you can answer that. How many Imperial officers went on to become rogue warlords?"

Pellaeon really couldn't argue Thrawn's logic there. The shuttle came down, and landed at the foot of the lone mountain on the planet's largest continent. Thrawn and Pellaeon each took up one of the ungainly frames that the Chimeara's tech crews had put together, and stepped from the shuttle. "Nobody in sight," Pellaeon said. "Could he have left?"

"I doubt he would have," Thrawn said. "Let's see if we can't draw the natives out of their isolation." He raised a disc to his lips. "I seek the Guardian of the mountain," his voice boomed, echoing in the still air. "Who will take me to him?"

"I'm afraid the Emperor's Guardian is long dead," a soft voice said. The speaker was still unseen. "But that doesn't mean that what he guarded is no longer safe."

"Show yourself," Pellaeon said. He didn't like the idea of dealing with someone that he couldn't see."

"Of course, Captain," the voice said. Its owner, a woman in perhaps her mid-twenties, stepped from the treeline. She was dressed head to toe in black, a black cloak falling from her shoulders. "I believe you'll find what you're looking for within the mountain, Grand Admiral Thrawn." She strode towards him, the black armor she wore appearing almost liquid. It obviously did nothing to impair her movements.

"You recognize me," Thrawn said. Pellaeon had expected some measure of surprise. When Thrawn had first sought out the Chimeara, Pellaeon was shocked to learn that an alien had been promoted to a position of command, much less been chosen to wear the white uniform of a Grand Admiral. Granted, Thrawn's claim to the uniform might have been that, but Pellaeon had seen enough of Thrawn's strategy in the last few months to realize that the blue-skinned alien was something special.

"Of course," the woman said. The sunlight glinted off her hair, which seemed to light like fire. "I knew a great number of the Emperor's secrets. The location of his storehouse was among them."

"I trust you've been inside the mountain."

"I have. I lack the resources, however, to make proper use of what lies inside.
  15. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    sorry I forgot to reply on Wednesday's post. Lumiya is definitely more dangerous than C'Baoth. This might require Luke considering some training in the Force. Interesting conversation he had with their cousin Pooja. I hope he would reconsider becoming a Jedi.
  16. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Great update. =D=

Continuing Liz's train of thought... Luke could train with Leia and of course with Mara--and then they could become very strong as they consolidate their Force talents... and ;) simultaneously, Luke and Mara could develop romantic feelings for each other & then I'd SQUEE! :) [face_batting] Seriously, Lumiya is all Sith... not conflicted as Mara was... so there won't be any last minute breaking of the last command? [face_worried] [face_thinking]
  17. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Wonderful update!! :D And I agree with both Jedi_Liz and Jade_eyes. Luke will probably need more training, and it'd be great if he could be with Mara! [face_batting]
    Great job!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

18. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Another great chapter! The interaction was very well done. =D=
  19. ccp Force Ghost

star 4
  20. Kevin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    A Happy New Year to you, Tych_sel! I've been absent from the boards for a while, taking things easy over Christmas, and see that you've been busy!

I liked Aayla?s farewell, and the remark by Anakin:

"There will be some who show great potential for the Force, but remember that ambition can sometimes lead to the Dark Side. You will yet face great danger, but you will not face it alone. New allies will rise to join you, and some will come from places you don't expect them."

"If I learned nothing else from Master Yoda, I did learn that one's appearance doesn't mean much. My husband is another prime example. But who are these new allies?"

"And now, farewell," Aayla said. "I loved you as a daughter, and as a friend. I am proud to have called myself your teacher. Until we meet again, may the Force be with you." And as quickly as she had appeared, Aayla faded from sight.

"Then it's finally happened. I'm the last of the Jedi."

"You're not the last of the old Jedi, my daughter," she heard, and turned to the other side of the bed. It was her father's voice, but he wasn't there. "You're the first of the new."

I laughed at how Lumiya dealt with Joruus C'Boath:

C'Boath threw up his hands, creating a Force wall that stopped the lightwhip dead. But Lumiya hadn't planned on the weapon being entirely effective. She broke loose a chunk of the mountain itself, and dropped it on C'Boath. She then turned to those who had attacked her. "C'Boath is dead. Your lives belong to me now. Serve me well, and you shall live. Defy me, and you will join C'Boath."

That was quick! :D As one dead Sith said, 'You don't know the power of the Dark Side'. [face_laugh]

Interesting to see Han and Chewie back in a cantina. Dravis's reaction to Han's offer I expected:

"That's because I don't move in your exalted circles," Dravis said, taking a seat opposite Han. "Heard you'd given up the life, settled down with a Jedi. Must make certain activities rather interesting, though I for one don?t see the attraction. Too much peace and justice, and we smugglers find ourselves out of work."

"That's why I asked you to come and meet with me," Han said. "The New Republic needs to get interstellar trade going again after all of Palpatine's crackdowns. No tricks, just simple, honest work."

"And what makes you think I'm interested in honest work. Half the attraction to smuggling is the danger involved. Not to mention higher profits. I just don't think that working for the government is going to go over very well."

"So what are you planning to do?" Han asked, leaning forward. "Part of what made hiring smugglers worthwhile were the tariffs imposed on trade by the Empire. Already, things are starting to change. Let's face it, ten years ago, you wouldn't have had time for a meeting like this one."

"Yeah, but sooner or later, your beautiful Republic's going to wake up to reality. All those people who fought with stars in their eyes are going to start asking for cash. And then, my friend, we'll see how long your minimal-tariff situation lasts."

He's expressing the same attitude Han and Chewie would have had in ANH, before a certain trip to Alderaan. I always thought that those two had at that time a dislike of governments in general, as people who interfered with their smuggling, the same attitude Dravis has.

This tells us how far Han has come, compared to Dravis, who is like what he once was:

"Yeah," Han said. "Now if only my word could accomplish something so that the Council would quit sending me off on these little missions. I'd like to enjoy a little more alone time with Leia before the babies arrive."

We next meet Talon Karrde. Who is Nera Dentels? His effort to sit on the fence (for the present) is understandable:

"I can't risk irritating the Empire at this point," Karrde said. "They still have too much of a presence in this part of space, and would jeopardize operations elsewhere as well. I can't just throw my people's lives away on a whim. But I
  21. Darth_Kripp Jedi Master

star 3
    Ah, they meet at last, and with the proper formalities I might add.
  22. Tych_sel Force Ghost

star 4
    Liz: I'll certainly agree that Lumiya's a greater threat than C'Boath, if only because of the personal grudge she's got against our heroes. In time, Luke's going to realize that he's going to need the training, and Leia will be ready for him. Glad you liked the discussion with Pooja, as that took some serious work to get right.

Jade_eyes: No, there's no conflict as far as Lumiya's concerned. She's about as Sith as they come. As for some L/M, there's always possibilities. Maybe I'll put them together on...no, that'd be telling.

dancing_star: Glad you liked it. I'm sensing a theme here when it comes to the senator and a certain redhead...

VaderLVR: Thanks, I was really struggling with how to work that one out, and not have it seem too much like HttE.

ccp: Thanks!

Kevin: So much here, I'm really not sure where to begin. First off, I'm glad to see that you've found the time to catch up. I have to admit, putting that little bit from Anakin in was more a chance to let his ghost speak than anything else. Plus, it seemed to have more weight coming from the man who helped detroy the old Order.

I wanted to show that Lumiya was someone to be taken seriously. C'Boath didn't, and he suffered for it. Dravis is a lot like Han and Chewie were, though I don;t know if he's got that inner hero core that Han does. Nera Dantels appears in the Darklighter arc of the Empire comics, as well as the In the Shadows of Their Fathers arc of the same series. You'll be seeing more of her as we move on.

I wanted to establish that the Luke of this fic isn't the Luke of the films. I suppose I did that. As you point out, it's obvious when he starts talking politics. Fey'lya shouldn't surprise anybody who's familiar with him.

Glad you liked seeing the meeting between Thrawn and Lumiya. I enjoyed writing those little hints that said Thrawn wasn't in complete command of the situation, but doing his best to appear so.

Kripp: Would you expect anything other than the appropriate formalities from Thrawn???

More Thrawn/Pellaeon/Lumiya to come tonight!

"You're not entirely comfortable having her aboard, are you?" Thrawn asked Pellaeon when the other reported to him in the command room.

"I saw what the Jedi were capable of, Admiral. But they led the Republic into ruin, until the only way to fix things was to wipe the slate clean and begin anew. I don't want to see it happen again." And I'm not sure that I could survive another purge, he thought.

"For now, her motivations are clear enough that she can be predicted," Thrawn said. "And once the Rebels have been dealt with, we can rethink our arrangement with our would-be Sith. But now, what news on the cloaking device?"

"The engineers report that the Emperor did leave behind a full set of schematics, as well as a working model. However, the model isn't powerful enough to cloak anything larger than a landspeeder."

"Thankfully, we won't be requiring something capable of cloaking a ship the size of the Chimeara," Thrawn said. He handed Pellaeon a datapad. "Here's what we'll be needing for the Sluis Van assault."

"Sluis Van?' Pellaeon said. "Why there?"

"The Fleet isn't as strong as it used to be, Captain," Thrawn said. "We'll need additional ships if we're to actually succeed in being more than a nuisance to the Rebels. Sluis Van will help us accomplish that." The chime rang. "That should be our Sith ally," Thrawn said. He touched a key, and the door slid open. Pellaeon stepped a little closer to the Grand Admiral, momentarily forgetting that with the ysalamiri nearby, Lumiya had no power here whatsoever.

"I don?t like games, Grand Admiral Thrawn," Lumiya said. "I also fail to see how I'm to be of much assistance to your forces if you cut me off from the Force."

"And I do not wish to have you turning my crew into your own personal puppets, Lady Lumiya," Thrawn said. "That was the Emperor's great mistake, and I will not replicate it. Besides, I should think
  23. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Very intriguing!! Looking forward to more!!:)
    Splendid update!
    =D= =D==D==D=
  24. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "Cloning tanks?" Lumiya said. "Just what are you planning?"

"In time, Lady Lumiya," Thrawn said. "In time."

[face_thinking] =D=
  25. Kevin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    A good update! =D= I like how you're showing Thrawn making use of Lumiya's abilities, while ensuring that she's under his control, something perfectly in character for him. :D

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.