main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Destiny's Heir (HTTE AU) Completed 2/19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kripp

Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    I have a bad feeling about this...

2. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    dancing_star: Well, if I'd sent her with Leia, it would have been too easy for them to handle what's coming.

SithGirl: I think Leia can handle things...

ccp: Thanks!

PHGS: Well, if I;ve done any good here, I've sent you back to some of the best SW books out there!

VaderLVR: Yes, it is, isn't it?

Sil: And they had Luke alone in the Tower of Law (in canon). That didn't work otu so well, did it?

Jade_eyes: Methinks you're spoiling my surprise...

Kripp: As perhaps you should.

Okay, here comes the next post!

The marketplace was, Leia had to admit, quite the extraordinary feat. Built of two levels, the market was nonetheless open to the air. Bring in a few trees, Leia thought, and a Wookiee would feel right at home. She passed several booths, the owners each trying to snag her interest.

In a way, it made her think of the streets of Tatooine's towns. Anchorhead hadn't had anything nearly this large, but it had had its own version of a market. She'd never forget the time she snuck aboard the family's landspeeder when Uncle Owen made a trip to Mos Espa. Why he'd gone halfway around the planet for something he could have gotten just as easily in Mos Eisley Leia had never understood. And I'll never know, she realized. It wasn't the first time she'd thought of the people who raised her but it was the first time it had grabbed her emotions like this.

Maybe it's my pregnancy, she thought. Maybe it's just making me a little more emotional than I otherwise might be. She wondered, as she wandered through the market, if this had been anything like the places Han must have seen when he was growing up. Probably not, she thought. From what little Han had told her of his childhood, it hadn't been one that would have made visits to the various markets much fun.

A vendor stepped forward, offering a variety of necklaces. As Leia began to tell her she wasn't interested, movement caught her eye. She spun, her hand dropping to the lightsaber at her waist. She thought she felt something in the Force, a subtle shift. And as she turned, she realized that a group of gray-skinned figures were now moving through the crowd. They weren't much taller than the Bimms, but something about them spoke of fighting skill that no Bimm had ever shown.

I can't engage them here, Leia thought. There's too great a risk that someone would get caught in the crossfire. One of the beings leveled a blaster in Leia's general direction, and fired. The crowd immediately broke apart, the Bimms fleeing in terror. In a few moments, Leia was pretty much alone. Her attackers had fanned out, the one with the blaster in the center. The others all raised their weapons, as if on a preplanned signal. Leia expected to find nine blasters pointed at her, but instead, the eight attackers held something that looked like a hollow tube.
    "You will come with us," the one in the center said.

"I don?t think so," Leia said, drawing her lightsaber. "I'm sure that this can be settled without need for violence." Even as she slid her thumb to cover the ignition switch, she could feel the aliens tensing. Whatever was going to happen, there was going to be a fight. But if she was going to fight, it was going to have to be somewhere else. This place was just too crowded.

She brought the lightsaber up, and leapt, spinning it around her body as she did so. A stone plug fell towards her as landed lightly on her feet. The aliens, to their credit, hadn't been inactive. Eight steams flew towards her, streams that Leia sent the plug straight into. Then she leapt up, passing through what had been the ceiling and landing on the second floor. A few steps should have put her directly above the attackers.

She heard a thunk behind her, and saw a grappling wire hanging down through the hole she'd cut. "Well, if I wasn't sure they were after me before, I'm certain now." She threw the lightsaber, heard the thud as the being who'd been using the line to climb h

3. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Oh, very good! Go Leia! :)

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    oh yeah Leia's got the higher ground ^^

5. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Ooh, well-written fight scene! I was just re-reading HTTE today, and I think I like your version better!

6. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    I think I like your version better too! :) Excellent!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Warrior! Leia is just too cool!! Her Force skills are fantab!! That was one of the major regrets I had in EU timeline that she didn't get to develop them as far as she could.

8. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    Great Job!

Really amazing fight scene! Leia Rocks!

Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Gotta love Leia! [face_dancing]

=D=

10. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    A nice pair of updates! =D= Nice to see flashes of the old Han here:

"Well, here we are," Han said as he brought the Falcon in on the vector the Bimms had designated for them. "Fur and yellow clothes a specialty."

"Han, for once, would you please try and be a little diplomatic?" Luke asked. "We're trying to get the Bimms to join the New Republic, not turn them into another enemy."

"Real dangerous they could be too," Han said, with a heavy dose of sarcasm. "I mean, really, Luke, who's going to take the Bimms seriously?"

[face_laugh] I was even more amused at this:

"Who would have thought a bunch of tribal bears could have driven the Empire off?" Mara asked, ducking into the cockpit. A slight sheen of sweat glistened on her upper lip. "Yet I seem to recall you telling me that the Ewoks did precisely that."

I thought all along that it was just an embellishment by George Lucas!:eek:

Han's right. Something funny's going on here:

"I'm terribly sorry, but it appears that the Bimms' chief negotiator has become ill. They will be unable to meet with us today. Also, our host requests that Captain Solo return his weapon to the ship."

"And why in space would I??" Has said, trailing off as Leia glanced at him. She didn't need to say anything, because Luke put a hand on Han's elbow.

"Remember, we're trying to win these people over," he said.

"Yeah," Han said, pulling his blaster and putting it back aboard the ship. The ramp raised as Mara stepped off, the last of the group to exit the ship. "So now what?"

"Our guide suggests that you and Master Luke might wish to visit the museum atop the Tower of Law," Threepio said. "He further suggests that Mistresses Leia and Mara might wish to visit the marketplace. He says that it is one of the largest in the sector."

"Perhaps we'd all like to see the museum," Mara said. She was apparently having the same concerns that Han was feeling.

Threepio turned to the Bimm, spoke for a bit, then turned back. "He says that you would probably find it dull," the droid said, almost looking as if he didn't want to say it.

"I like museums," Mara said. "I like them a lot."

"Very well," Luke said. "Mara, Han and I will visit the museum. My sister will tour the marketplace."

Why do they want Leia on her own? [face_thinking] It's certainly not due to concern for her welfare. [face_worried]

The description of the marketplace was good. I liked the reminder that she was the Skywalker brought up on Tatooine:

In a way, it made her think of the streets of Tatooine's towns. Anchorhead hadn't had anything nearly this large, but it had had its own version of a market. She'd never forget the time she snuck aboard the family's landspeeder when Uncle Owen made a trip to Mos Espa. Why he'd gone halfway around the planet for something he could have gotten just as easily in Mos Eisley Leia had never understood. And I'll never know, she realized. It wasn't the first time she'd thought of the people who raised her but it was the first time it had grabbed her emotions like this.

Who are these eight grey-skinned figures, I wonder? At least Leia can deal with them:

She brought the lightsaber up, and leapt, spinning it around her body as she did so. A stone plug fell towards her as landed lightly on her feet. The aliens, to their credit, hadn't been inactive. Eight steams flew towards her, streams that Leia sent the plug straight into. Then she leapt up, passing through what had been the ceiling and landing on the second floor. A few steps should have put her directly above the attackers.

She heard a thunk behind her, and saw a grappling wire hanging down through the hole she'd cut. "Well, if I wasn't sure they were after me before, I'm certain now." She threw the lightsaber, heard the thud as the being who'd been using the line to climb hit the floor.

It was nice to see that the locals did the one sensible thing ordinary people should do when caught in this type of situation:

Bimms wh

11. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Thrawn: She does seem to have things well in hand, doesn't she?

Sil: She's perfectly willing to take what the enemy's willing to surrender...

SithGirl: Glad you like my version, though I don't think my abilities compare at all with Zahn's...

dancing_star: Glad you liked it! I hope you won;t be disappointed by the other half of the fight.

Jade_eyes: I too wish they'd developed Leia's abilities more. Even now, she doesn't seem as active as some of the other members of the Order...

PHGS: Thanks!

VaderLVR: Well, I don;t know if you've got to, necessarily, but it helps!

Kevin: Hey, I love the old Han, so you're certainly going to see him here. And you liked the comment by Mara, did you? I always wondered why the Bimms didn't clear out until the Falcon showed up, so I had them do so here.

Okay, here comes the next post!

Leia would love this," Luke said, looking at one of the displays. "She's always said that we don?t know enough about the Old Republic. Especially around the time of Palpatine's rise and the fall of the Jedi."

"Yeah," Han said, looking out the window and down towards the market. He couldn't help thinking that he should be with Leia, and let Luke handle keeping watch over Mara. It was then that he realized that the guide had disappeared. "Either of you notice what happened to our guide?"

"He appears to have disappeared," Mara said. "I don?t like it. Something about this seems wrong, as if it is a trap."

"Leia didn't sense any duplicity from the Bimms," Luke said.

"They didn't have to be the ones springing the trap, Senator. It could be that someone was waiting for the opportune moment. It's not as if the Empire's canceled the bounty on your head."

"Our heads," Han corrected her. "Or do you think they just happened to not notice the fact that you'd switched sides."

"Those who know haven't been able to spread the word," Mara said. "I've made sure of that."

"Well, just because you're sure doesn't make me sure. So let's just leave these artifacts, and get back to Leia." He turned, and headed for the exit. "Either of you seen anything running around here?"

"Other than us?" Luke asked. "No."

"What makes you ask?" Mara said, her hand dropping to her lightsaber, and unhooking it.

"Because at the bottom of the steps are about nine aliens armed with Stokhli sticks," Han said. "They usually used for hunting big game."

"These aliens," Mara said. "They wouldn't happen to be somewhat short, with grey skin, would they?"

"You've seen being like this before?" Luke asked.

"Yes, during my time with the Empire," Mara said, igniting the blade. "In the company of your father, though I thought I heard the Emperor say he'd turned them over to someone else." She stepped next Han, then shoulderd her way past him. "Get behind me, Solo."

"Jedi Jade," one of the beings said. "You will lower your weapon and surrender yourself."

"Like blazes I will," Mara said, cocking her arm and throwing the glowing weapon into the middle of the alien group. The group split, breaking away from the lightsaber. Two of them raised their weapons, aiming at Mara, while another two clearly aimed at Han. Then they fired. A gooey substance spat from the tubes, expanding itself into a net.

"Duck!" Mara shouted, dropping to the floor. She gestured, and the lightsaber flew upwards, spinning into the aliens. Three of them managed to flee from the initial attack, but the rest lost hands, arms, or legs to Mara's weapon. Han rose on one elbow, bringing his blaster to bear. He would have loved to call on the Falcon for air support, but blasting apart the top floor of the Tower of Law wouldn't win the Republic any points with the Bimms. His blaster spoke twice, holes burning their way through the garments of the assailants. A second blaster opened up, ending the life of the last one. Mara turned to look back at Luke, who stood over her, his feet placed on either side of

12. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Well, the Noghri certainly met the same fate as in profic, interesting that they knew Mara. Maybe they've been sent after her? Hmm...I'm still very interested!

13. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Interesting they call her Jedi Jade, apparently they already know.

Hm... Han is not with Leia in this one, it looks like trouble for Leia.

Oh and loved Mara with her like Blazes I will line.

14. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    And now the Noghri have come into play. Cool.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update. Loved the snark between Han and Mara--LOL This version of HTTE feels so natural... the only odd thing--only because it's hard for me to remember ;) is that Luke's not gonna be diving into the fray with a saber too :D

16. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    hmmm Mara doesn't seem to share the original HTTE Luke's obsession with avoiding killing kidnap squads...

Great job Tych!

Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr

17. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Wonderful update!!! :)
    I'm glad they were able to get rid of the Noghri. I have a feeling their troubles aren't over yet though. [face_worried]
    Excellent!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    "Jedi Jade," one of the beings said. "You will lower your weapon and surrender yourself."

"Like blazes I will," Mara said, cocking her arm and throwing the glowing weapon into the middle of the alien group. The group split, breaking away from the lightsaber. Two of them raised their weapons, aiming at Mara, while another two clearly aimed at Han. Then they fired. A gooey substance spat from the tubes, expanding itself into a net.

Yeah, because surrender is SO Mara's style! :p

Wonderful update! =D=

19. Darth_Kripp

Oct 12, 2005
    Good job, guys, but this is just the beginning! [face_devil]

20. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    SithGirl: The Noghri were indeed sent after Mara, with instructions to grab Luke as well. Guess things didn't go so well.

MU: The do indeed recognize Mara. Yet somehow, they expect her to surrender.

ccp: Yeah, the Noghri are indeed in play.

Jade_eyes: Glad you loved the snark. It was intentional.

PHGS: Yeah, Mara's far more willing to directly confront the Noghri.

dancing_star: Given Thrawn and Lumiya, I would hardly say that the trouble's over.

VaderLVR: I think Mara would surrender about the time Hoth looked like Mustafar.

Kripp: Indeed.

Okay, I know I said we'd be seeing Thrawn in today's post. Unfortunately, my Rebel muse wandered in and shoved my Imperial muse out. So Thrawn's going to have to wait until next week.

"One of these days, Threepio, you're going to have to learn to get out of the way when someone starts shooting at you," Leia said, tossing aside what must have been the fiftieth type of solvent she'd tried. "I think we'll just have to wait and see if the Bimms can offer any help in getting you cleaned up."

"But Mistress Leia, I can't go out looking like this," Threepio moaned. "Why is it that they always seem to target me? Artoo never winds up in this condition."

"Better not let him hear you say that," Mara said, entering the lounge. "He'll never let you hear the end of it."

"Though Artoo's been through his share of trouble. You didn't see what he looked like when we first encountered Yoda on?" Leia trailed off.

"You're still not willing to trust me with the location, are you, Leia?"

"It's nothing personal, Mara," Leia said. "I haven't told Luke where I found Yoda, either. I suppose it's because I always intended to go back and give him a proper farewell, after I'd faced Vader and redeemed him. Part of me probably wanted to show him that he'd been wrong, even though I think he knew about it."

"So why haven't you?" Mara asked, picking up the last of the solvents that Han had aboard the Falcon and dumping a little onto one of the rags that lay nearby.

"I guess I just haven't had the time to do it properly," Leia said. "Perhaps when we get back to Coruscant, I'll get my X-Wing prepped and go."

"Well, you'll be able to do that more quickly than expected," Luke said, entering the lounge from the direction of the cockpit. "Han just jumped into hyperspace."

"But what about the Bimms?" Leia asked. "Weren't they expecting us to return?"

"They were. However, Han waited until I was otherwise occupied to take action."

"In case you didn't notice, Luke," Han said, as he came in, "I was attempting to protect you, your sister, and your niece and nephew." He plopped down at the djarik table, resting one elbow on the table's playing surface. "I told them that we'd get back to them once we'd had a chance to make sure that the attack didn't come from a leak on our end."

"Han, you know that it didn't. Now it's going to take months to get another meeting set up."

"One where we won?t be such easy targets," Han said. "We're going to need better security for these missions, or else, we're going to see the Empire pulling this kind of stunt again."

"We don?t know that the Empire's behind this," Luke said.

"Really? Then where did our friends with the Stokhli sticks come from?" Han shot back. Leia looked at Mara, who rolled her eyes. She rose, as if to exit, but Han blocked the hatch. "Didn't you say those guys used to work for Vader?"

"I said that they used to. I can't say anymore than that. Now get out of my way, Captain Solo, or I will remove you by other means." Han stepped aside, letting Mara out.

"What got into her?"

"She's still touchy about having switched sides, Han. Yet you seem determined to rub in her face every chance you get."

"Well, excuse me, sweetheart," Han said. "So can I put these solvents away now?"

"Yeah," Leia said with a sigh. "I think I've been fighting a losing battle here."

+++++++++++

M

21. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Poor Threepio with the webbing stuck all over him!!:oops:
    I'd say he and Artoo both have had their fair share of troubles. I'd call it a tie.:p
    Wonderful update!!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Poor Threepio! He gets no respect! ;)

=D=

23. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Very good! You've really done a great job at switching Luke and Leia's roles, especially in this chapter. :)

24. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Webbing or the swamps of Dagobah...both are equally troublesome.
    So Leia never returned to Dagobah? Hmm. I sense an interesting new plotline showing up here...

25. Darth_Kripp

Oct 12, 2005
    Hopefully, they're beginning to understand the importance of the threat. Mara's probably their best lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.