main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Destiny's Hope (AU, completed 10/14)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Very nice! =D= And they didn't need the help of any cute teddy bears either!

I smiled at this:

"Three survivors would have looked suspicious," Morgan said. "And there's no way I was going to just let you run things. At least this way, if things get royally karked, I'm not likely to be left alive to face the reaction from the brass."

If things go wrong (from the Rebel POV) there won't be any brass left to give any reaction. [face_plain]

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ack, a post behind. [face_blush]

NO, no no! Han, you did not let her go!!! Okay, I get not killing her, though she deserves it. But her prisoner at the least!!!

"Probably the Rebels that Lord Vader was alerted to by the agent within the Rebellion," the troop commander said. "What's in there?" he said, gesturing to the pack that Page had slung over his shoulder.

Woldn't have a worry again if they'd killed her or whatnot. o_O

3. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    ccp: Glad you liked 'em.

SithGirl: Yes, this is where the fun begins.

VaderLVR: I'm really enjoying spending some time with the commandos.

Kevin: Just to think, all it took was one guy not doing his job, and the bunker goes boom. And you're right, if things had gotten karked, there wouldn't be any brass to chew Morgan and Page out.

Leona: Unfortunately, Han made themistake of letting her live. But maybe she'll run across some unfriendly Ewoks and they'll deal with her. I know it's not likely...

Okay, here comes the next post, as we drop in on Ackbar.

"The shield is down!" one of the controllers aboard Home One said. "I don't know how, but Solo's team has done it."

"Commence attack on the Death Star's main reactor," Ackbar said. Neither Solo nor Organa would like the fact that he was ordering the assault to proceed to its final stage without knowledge of Leia Skywalker's whereabouts, but as Solo had pointed out, the Death Star was too great a threat to be ignored.

The ship rocked as she was hit by another barrage from the turbolasers of the Executor "Concentrate all firepower on that Super Star Destroyer. Perhaps if we take out the command ship, we can give ourselves a fighting chance." Through the viewport, he could see the Millennium Falcon wheel about and make for the Death Star, a couple of squadrons on its tail. The mission would depend on Calrissian's flying, something Ackbar was less than trusting of.

The space between the cruisers filled with light as the Star Destroyers finally entered the fray with something on the line. The captains aboard the Imperial vessels had to know that the Death Star was vulnerable, and had called off the TIEs. There were still a few buzzing around, but most had gone after Calrissian and the other snubfighters. As the Destroyers opened up on the Alliance cruisers, the balance shifted.

One X-Wing made a strafing run at the Executor, with a single target in mind: the bridge deflection tower. With the shield down, the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer would lie open to Rebel attack. An Imperial-class Destroyer blew up in the background, and the X-Wing pilot didn't see the chunk of debris flying his way. It sliced through the port wings, but he was able to just maintain control long enough to send the fighter into a deadly spiral.

The X-Wing slammed into the tower protruding atop Executor's bridge, and for the first time, the mighty ship rocked. "We've lost our bridge deflector shields," a lieutenant called from the portside crew pit.

"Intensify the forward batteries," Admiral Piett ordered. "I don?t want anything to get through." Even as he issued the order, he caught sight of a rapidly approaching snubfighter.

"Intensify forward firepower!" the captain shouted, and Piett understood the position the man was in. But even as the additional order was given, Piett knew it was too late. If he somehow managed to survive this, which he doubted, Lord Vader's wrath would claim his life. So Piett stood tall, proud, even as the captain called out, "Too late!"

The A-wing slammed into the bridge viewport, and the pilot might have briefly glimpsed the shock of the Imperial officers as his craft passed into the bridge. Then the engine fuel of his fighter ignited, and the missiles he carried exploded. A gout of flame erupted from the rear of the Destroyer's bridge. Cheers went up around the bridge of Home One, even as the Destroyer began to drift. Without control from the bridge, her momentum would carry her straight into the Death Star itself. Ackbar leaned back, weary, but also considering the lives lost on both sides of the conflict. How much better might it have been, had Palpatine never been born, the Mon Cal officer contemplated. How many lives might have been spared?

Palpatine had been born, however, and the actions he took had been the cause of the conflict. Freedom had to be fought for, and if the blood of tyrants had to be spi

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Palpatine had been born, however, and the actions he took had been the cause of the conflict. Freedom had to be fought for, and if the blood of tyrants had to be spilled, then that was what was required. But Ackbar hoped the with the demise of this new Death Star and the death or capture of the Emperor, the fleet of Star Cruisers now serving as the backbone of the Alliance fleet might be able to be returned to their original purpose.

Loved it! =D=

5. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Great update!
    It's comming down to the end.

6. Darth_Kripp

Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Good job, Admiral! What a splendid fight!
    But then, the Death Star is not destroyed yet...

7. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Wow, that was some serious introspection on Ackbar's part. Interesting that he's thinking of that. The scene when the A-wing crashes into the Executor is always one of the most climactic!

8. Kevin_Solo

Jun 22, 2007
    This was the best bit, one that encapsulates Ackbar's character:

Ackbar leaned back, weary, but also considering the lives lost on both sides of the conflict. How much better might it have been, had Palpatine never been born, the Mon Cal officer contemplated. How many lives might have been spared?

Palpatine had been born, however, and the actions he took had been the cause of the conflict. Freedom had to be fought for, and if the blood of tyrants had to be spilled, then that was what was required. But Ackbar hoped the with the demise of this new Death Star and the death or capture of the Emperor, the fleet of Star Cruisers now serving as the backbone of the Alliance fleet might be able to be returned to their original purpose.

I've always liked him since I first saw how he reacted to the impending destruction of the Super Star Destroyer Executor. When everyone else was cheering, he lowered his head sadly, aware of the thousands aboard that ship who were going to die.

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ackbar leaned back, weary, but also considering the lives lost on both sides of the conflict. How much better might it have been, had Palpatine never been born, the Mon Cal officer contemplated. How many lives might have been spared?

As nice as the fantasy of 'if only' is one must deal with the real and now. :(

10. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    VaderLVR: Glad you liked that little bit of introspection on Ackbar's part.

ccp: Indeed it is.

Kripp: No, you're right, the Death Star hasn't been destroyed. But I'd say that's likely to be only a matter of time.

SithGirl: The introspection just seemed to work, smack dab in the middle of that climactic moment.

Kevin: I've always thought that too, about how weary he seems in that moment of triumph.

Leona: Yeah, unfortunately, we can't change the universe simply by thinking "if only..."

Okay, anybody wondering what's going on with Leia????

The Death Star shook, and Leia briefly lost her grip on Mara. The Imperial agent was comatose, though whether she would come out of it remained a question. Leia was having enough trouble keeping her moving without having to worry about trying to dodge debris that might come crashing down on top of her. The weight on her other arm didn't help matters either. The unlikely trio of Leia, her father, and Mara had almost made it to the main hanger when the reformed Sith Lord collapsed.

"I cannot go any further, Leia," Anakin said. "You will need to leave me behind."

"I'm not leaving you," Leia said. "I don?t know what you expected from me, but I was taught not to abandon those who depended on me. I came to save you, and that's exactly what I intend to do."

"You've already done that, Leia. You made me see what your mother tried to make me understand, what Aayla tried to make me understand. I didn't listen to either of them at the time, and the galaxy has suffered terribly because of my arrogance. You helped me put aside that arrogance. Now, I'm telling you to go, because I can't bear to have your death occur because of me."

"Then I'll leave Mara," Leia said. "After all, it's not like I haven't got cause to leave her."

"Mara has a good heart, but she's been twisted by Palpatine, just as I was. The Emperor would have liked to see the two of you operating together, balancing each other. She can be a Jedi, Leia, if given the chance. I'm asking you, as your father, to give her that chance."

"And sacrifice you in order to do it? I'm sorry, Father, but that doesn't exactly make sense."

Vader looked up, and met his daughter's gaze. "The Empire destroyed the Jedi, with a great deal of help from me. You know that. What Aayla and Yoda may not have told you concerns a prophecy that seemed to apply to me. The old Order thought that I was destined to bring Balance to the Force. Perhaps there is one last balance to restore. I need to give life to a new order of Jedi, to balance the life I took from my Order. You and Mara can be that new beginning."

"I'm not leaving you here, Father," Leia said as the Death Star rocked again. "I'll get Mara to the shuttle, as you request, but then I'm coming back for you."

"Leia, there isn't time to save us both. I've done great evil in my life, evil that some will never be able to see past. Perhaps it's better if I die here, and leave you clean of the stain of my darkness."

"You gave me life, Father. Is it so terrible to want to give the same back to you?"

"You already have done that, Leia. You saved me, gave me the chance to die as a Jedi. Now, I implore you to save the future of the Jedi. Save yourself, and Mara Jade." He sighed. "Now, grant your father one last request, as we have little time. Help me remove this mask. I want to see you with my own eyes before I die."

"I won't let you die here, Father," Leia said firmly. Even as she spoke, however, it seemed like the station was in danger of coming apart. She would have to move quickly if she was to save Anakin and carry out his request. "I'll be right back." She then rose, pulled one of Mara's arms over her shoulders, and rushed as fast as she could towards the waiting shuttle.

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming on the weekend.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

11. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    You left that at a very tense moment.
    I'm hoping that all three will get off the Death Star alive...

12. Darth_Kripp

Oct 12, 2005
    I like the fact that Anakin doesn't sound as weak as he does in the movie. Interesting... [face_thinking]

13. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    I hope she makes it back so there aren't any unresolved feelings between leia and her father.
    Great update!

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm not leaving you here, Father," Leia said as the Death Star rocked again. "I'll get Mara to the shuttle, as you request, but then I'm coming back for you."

"Leia, there isn't time to save us both. I've done great evil in my life, evil that some will never be able to see past. Perhaps it's better if I die here, and leave you clean of the stain of my darkness."

"You gave me life, Father. Is it so terrible to want to give the same back to you?"

Loved it! Could it be that all three will live? [face_thinking]

=D=

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Bravo for Vader insisting on Leia rescuing Mara first. That at least shows true redemption to me.

Can't wait to see if he survives as well. *fingers crossed*

16. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    c'mon you'd better let all three live and it's interesting how you had Anakin support Mara

17. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    SithGirl: Yeah, I know I left things a little tense. But trust me, you won't have to wait long to see the outcome.

Kripp: Rememeber that this universe's Anakin, while badly wounded, wasn't nearly as damaged as the Anakin of the films. So yes, while he's a little stronger, I'd say he's still not going to last long.

ccp: Maybe she will, maybe she won't.

VaderLVR: Glad you loved it, Vadey. It's possible that they will all live, but then, isn't everything possible in the world George created for us?

Leona: Yes, a little self-sacrificing, isn't it?

Sil: It's all about balance, really.

Okay, before we wrap things up with Leia, let's drop in on a couple other people.

"Guess they didn't need us," Han said, looking down on the bunker that had, until moments ago, been the control center for the Death Star's deflector. "Guess that means Lando's on his way in."

"Let's hope so," Luke said. "And let's hope that we're not too late. Now, I have a feeling we might want to head down. There are probably still troops out there, and they aren't likely to be real happy that the bunker they were tasked with protecting has gone up in smoke."

"Yeah, commanders tend to frown on things going 'boom,'" Han said with a grin. He looked towards the sky. "I just hope that Leia's all right up there."

Luke followed his gaze. "She'll be fine, Han." His voice, at least to his ears, sounded more certain than he actually felt.

"Sure, kid," Han said.

"Stay in formation," Wedge said as he lead the Rogues into the Death Star. "You can run out of space real fast." He dodged under a low pipe or conduit that came up so quickly that Lando's reaction almost took the Falcon into a strut below. As it was, the low hanging pipe scraped against the freighter's hull, nearly taking off the sensor dish.

"So much for no scratches," Lando muttered, thinking that Han would probably have his hide for any damage. Well, in for a credit, in for the game, Lando thought, and sped up a bit to keep up with the faster, more agile X-Wing.

"Lock on to the largest power source," Wedge said. "That should be the reactor."

"Exactly my thought," Lando said, even as the Falcon rocked. Behind him, a flight of TIE interceptors had entered the Death Star, and were obviously planning on putting an end to the threat the Rebellion posed. "Though getting there might prove something of a problem if we don?t get rid of these TIE fighters."

"Red Two, take Two Flight and head back to the surface. Perhaps you can get some of those TIEs to follow you."

"Roger," came the voice of Alderaanian pilot Tycho Celchu, whose A-Wing broke off, along with four X-Wings. Half the TIEs took off in pursuit, as another of the enemy went straight into a low hanging pipe. A few moments later, the tight spacing of the station's construction disappeared, opening into a vast chamber, the heart of the battlestation.

"Go for the power regulator," Lando ordered Wedge, whose X-Wing rose as he targeted the upper tower.

"Right," he said, firing. "I'm already on my way out."

"Time to find out if this plan'll work," Lando said as Wedge came around, heading back in the direction they'd come from. Then he fired a pair of concussion missiles into the reactor itself. The missiles detonated, and the two massive halves of the reactor came down on each other in a fiery explosion. "All right, let's get out of here," Lando said, whipping the freighter around, and beginning a mad dash back to the surface.

All around him, the station was crumbling. There was nothing behind him but flame, and it was quickly catching up with the fleeing Falcon. If they didn't get out soon, Lando knew, they weren't going to. Ahead, he could see the star studded blackness of space, and with a whoop, the Falcon shot out, even as flames threatened to engulf her. A moment later, the Death Star exploded.

++++++++++++

That's all for tonight. More will be coming on Wedne

18. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    What an evil way to leave it! Now we have to wait until Wednesday to find out who got off the Death Star? Great job!

19. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Great update!

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    AACK! :eek: You can't leave it there! [face_shame_on_you]

I loved it. =D=

21. Darth_Kripp

Oct 12, 2005
    It is done. Let's hope at least one Skywalker is still alive.

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    can't wait to find out who got off the death star as well

23. Kevin_Solo

Jun 22, 2007
    Very good! =D= Now, who escaped from the Death Star in time? [face_thinking]

24. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    SithGirl: It ws evil, but it certainly made you want more, didn't it?

ccp: Thanks!

VaderLVR: Sorry, but that was where it seemed right to leave it.

Kripp: I'll say that the answer is...no, that'd be telling.

Sil: Then wait no more, as the answer is in tonight's post.

Kevin: Well, I suppose I could draw out the suspense, but making you wait a week would probably be conisdered Sithly, wouldn't it?

Alarms continued to whoop as the Death Star shuddered, enough to knock Leia off her feet as she made her way back to where she'd left her father. She'd made sure that Mara was secured in her seat, as the last thing Leia needed was some trigger-happy Imperial trying to ambush her, least of all a Force-sensitive, trigger-happy Imperial. She found Anakin a few feet from the shuttle, where his strength had apparently failed him.

"I'm not going to make it, Leia," he said. "The mistakes I made as a youth are coming back to haunt me."

"I'm not going to abandon you, Father," Leia said.

"I'm not asking you to," the former Sith Lord said. "Just grant me one last request, before I join the Force. Help me take this mask off." His breath was becoming ragged, and Leia began to understand how much damage the Emperor's lightning had done.

"If I do that, I abandon all hope of saving you," Leia said.

"You've already done that," Anakin said. "You made me see the light, just like your mother tried to do. I didn't listen to her, and nearly wound up dead. I probably would have been dead if it had been anybody other than Aayla."

"She wasn't sure you could be brought back," Leia said. "To be honest, I wondered if I could bring you back after so many years spent serving the darkness."

"You never seemed to doubt yourself," Anakin said. "Your determination was the only way you could have brought me back to the light."

"I don't want to lose you, Father."

"Death is part of life," Anakin said. "And while it once irritated me, Yoda once said that we should not miss those who have trasitioned to the Force. Though I may not be there in physical form, I will always be with you."

Finally convinced that she would not be losing him, Leia helped Anakin remove the mask. First came the flared helmet, revealing a complex scalp of circuitry that connected to the helmet. With a hiss, she pulled the mask forward, revealing a pale face. A scar ran past Anakin's left eye, but it wasn't anything marring the features Leia was looking at. It was the slightly watering blue eyes, so much like Luke's.

"Now go, Leia," Anakin said, offering her a slight smile. "There's nothing more for you here."

"That's not true. I'm taking you with me. There's got to be something the Alliance can do for a hero of the Republic."

"They won't see it that way. Leia, there are two things you need to know. First, you will always have my love. Second, there are likely some on your mother's homeworld of Naboo who remember her. Seek them out." Then he closed his eyes, and let out a shuddering breath. Anakin Skywalker's body faded, and disappeared, the armor of Darth Vader growing lighter in Leia's arms.

"Let history remember that it was Anakin Skywalker, not Darth Vader, who died here today." She then replaced the mask and helmet, a harder task given that there was no body within the suit any longer, and carried it into the shuttle. Moments after she cleared the bay, a gout of flame soared into space. It almost touched the shuttle, but Leia throttled forward, the engines of the shuttle carrying it ahead of the shock wave as the Death Star exploded behind her.

++++++++++++

That's all for tonight. I'll be going on vacation Friday, but I should be back in time to get the next post up next Wednesday. Some of you can probably guess what that'll entail.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

25. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    =D= Excellent! So close to the original but with your own twist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.