Destiny's Way

Discussion in 'Green Bay, WI' started by VadersClone, Oct 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersClone Jedi Padawan

I only have a couple of chapters left to finish in the book and I hope those of you reading it will stop in and share your ideas about it here. Hopefully this weekend, there will be some interesting opinions to discuss.
  2. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am almost done and think it is pretty good. It seemed at the beginning that everyone was a bit horny. "Are we alone? Let's get it on." Not that I object. We need a little more romance in the NJO. It brought back a number of characters that I missed. I am stretching the ending because I don't want to go into SW withdrawal again. I could read Shadowhunter for the book club but I read that before so it is not as much fun. All in all, a good read.
  3. VadersClone Jedi Padawan

Well, let me start out by saying that I thought it was a quick and easy read. Therefore, I consider it good. If I can get through it and it keeps me wanting to read more, than I know they've done a good job. Now, about the book. I understand that there are going to be more books to follow, I just thought that there should have been more going on between Jacen and the world brain on Coruscant.I'm sure they will follow up with more. I don't know about him taking the high ground so to speak and not using the world brain to give the Vong more than an itch. I don't know if you finished yet MaraJoan and since it seems to be just us, I will post a little each day.

later
  4. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, I finished and think there will be more with the world brain in future books. I wish that they would finally give Nom Anor a slow painful death. He seems to get away every time. That is really annoying to me. Now I will go into SW withdrawal until the next book comes out. Maybe I will have to reread some books again.
  5. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I'm about a third through. I am still undecided. Sometimes I am really into it, and others I have trouble. I agree with Marajoan's remark. "oh I'll call you master." no way! That just did not feel right to me. I thought some of the chapters were terribly jumpy. But, some were really good. I don't want to spoil anyone not through yet so I'll wait to list more specific things.

PS ooooweee I love Nen! I hope there's more of her in the last third of the book.
  6. VadersClone Jedi Padawan

Hi Marajoan, and Bobafemme, I hope everyone is done with the book now. As far as Nom Anor goes, I love the guy. He's been there from the beginning. I know that in the end he will have to die, but I actually enjoy the fact that he weasels his way out in the end everytime. As for the end of the book, I had to read it a couple of times. I know some of this stuff gets a little far fetched, but I found the ending hard to believe. I mean, I know it's not supposed to be real, but I've always held to the fact that maybe this could have happend a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Vergere crashing her ship into the moon, wasn't there a chance at that speed that she could kill Jacen and Jaina with her impact? Maybe I am getting to picky. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, I just think that the Vong are starting to look a little to wussy, in this book. Finally we get to see the Supreme Overlord, and I was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting Satan himself, I don't know. And what's up with the Shamed one having such a high place. I know, he is acting like the court jester (fool), but something tells me, that there will be more to him in the future. I hope everyone is done reading, I tried to hold off as long as I could, but I just wanted to talk about the end and stuff.

later,
    vaders clone
  7. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    My problem is that Vergere probably had the key to ending the war favorably. She probably controlled her landing so as to target the Vong. I also don't think Ackbar will hold out much longer and he seems to be the only military leader on the ball beside Wedge.
  8. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I finally finished. :) I thought it was cool how Vergere ended it. I thought it might be a wee far-fetched that she could send a Force message to the kids to bubble up for Oxygen and radiation. I loved the Tsavong Lah ending. He is one of my favorite Vong and I thought his demise was appropriate.

I agree with the Shamed One. He sort of seems like an ugly Vergere in status. We all saw what she did, maybe Onimi (sp?) will do the same.

So now that Vergere sacrificed herself, what path did she clear for Jacen to attain his destiny? One other question: where the sam nunn was Wedge during this pivotal battle? I should go back and read the ending again.

I'll be missing Ackbar when he goes, it seems that it is inevitable now. :(

BTW, Minnesota Force (in Minneapolis area) has regular book clubs. If you are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to join us for book club, or any other FF event.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.