main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Details from TFA script released by Disney to the Writers Guild

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCoins, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I guess this is why there are Special Edition changes like adding Darth Vader getting on a shuttle, flying on the shuttle, arriving at the Star Destroyer, because there are people out there who just absolutely need to see those things.
    In the film as we see it, Rey has been called by the lightsaber. The Force is strong in her. She is intrigued and has questions. There's nothing odd about Rey being the one to search for Luke and take that lightsaber to him, possibly even volunteering to do so and not being sent. Maybe it is questionable as to why Leia doesn't go, but she has a Resistance to lead, or at least organize to get the heck out of there. Rey was going off into the unknown and at this point we don't know if she was intending to be gone for long.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's reasonable that if Leia believes the force is calling to Rey, then Leia would be comfortable in letting her go... I'd imagine that this gets picked out because of the cumulative effect of several plot conveniences in close succession.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Rey /did/ see Luke in her visions, after all. Who is Leia to question the Will of the Force?

4. blodie

blodie Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2015
    Leia send Rey because she's the next jedi, the new hope of the galaxy. And Luke is the only one who can train her. Simple as that.

TK327, Darth Camp, Darth Zane and 3 others like this.
  5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I agree.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    sorry, but only the father/daughter angle makes sense in this case, because otherwise Leia would have gone herself. Yor forgot that the opening crawl starts that Leia is searching for her brother. So after she found him, she is not going to see him to bring him back to help the republic? Makes zero sense. But who else can convice Luke to return? Luke's daughter and Leia knows this. [face_love]

Darth PJ likes this.
  7. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Wow, great info indeed, it gaves more clarity, I didn't knew about Rey hearing Snoke.

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Actually, although for a good while I thought and hoped she would end up being Luke's daughter, I now feel she is a random. Regardless, it is not getting the answer to the question that I want that I feel is important as it is they answer the question at all-even if she is a random.

As for Finn, I think that is a story too that they should explore although it wasn't emphasized as much as they mystery of Rey's origins. I also think the First Order's practice of taking children to raise as Stormtroopers should be part of Finn's motivation.

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Good point.

appleseed likes this.
  10. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    No.

If turns out that she isn't a Skywalker, there are very legitimate thematic reasons that would suggest her parents' identities are inconsequential to the plot, and if that is the case then giving us their names, details about them or any backstory on them would, in fact, be "garbage storytelling."

In that case, revealing any information about them would be missing the point in a big way.

Explaining who her parents are when it simply doesn't matter as far as the plot is concerned--and when it's much more compelling to not reveal their identities because it effortlessly reinforces the "you must stop living in the dead-end past and move forward with your life" theme--is the type of thing that would show up in the PT or EU. Such superfluous details and exposition are one of the things that unnecessarily weigh down those narratives and are in fact damaging to their effectiveness. Cramming unneeded info into a narrative is an amateur hour-level screw-up, and it's something that is well understood by anybody who knows anything about writing or telling a story effectively. No, it's not about "building a universe" or "adding texture." There are meaningful, constructive, relevant ways to do that.

Bobatron likes this.
  11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    But how would they be able to retcon the end scenes of ROTS?

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wanting Rey to be Luke's daughter, and the weirdly ignored relative of Han and Leia, comes out of being impatient for a continuing story. Everything isn't here for that to be completely figured out.

13. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Perhaps Vader and Aphra hooked up and she's their daughter that was placed on the slow time planet or frozen in carbonite for a time...

14. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Seems to be hinted at with the Journal of the Whills Prologue of the Novelization.

15. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Completely disagree.

It's not a superfluous detail to simply show their faces as they leave her in her force vision. That's all it would take to remove the mystery of who they are (to the audience - all we need to know is that they are strangers) without wasting any time on info that isn't pertinent to the plot. We don't have to go into a huge exposition about them.

They are completely omitted for a reason, because who she is is somehow important information that will later be revealed.

MattOrgana likes this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

I was joking. The whole gravitationally slow time planet was ripped from Interstallar. ;)

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Yes....even if, for some reason, they /are/ keeping the truth from Rey, it doesn't explain why Han mentions Ben to Leia without mentioning Rey.

And to the folks claiming Leia had a child without Han's knowledge......if I could reach through the monitor to slap them, I would....

nightangel likes this.
  18. GeneralOrgana

Dec 24, 2015
    Han: "I saw him, I saw our son" *SCENE WIPE*

Next time we see Leia:

"Han told me about the girl"

MattOrgana likes this.
  19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, keep dreamin'

20. GeneralOrgana

Dec 24, 2015
    Keep dreaming about what? You're blatantly ignoring facts presented in the film. Han didn't fail to mention Rey to Leia, he told her about it off-screen.

Unless Leia's lying.

MattOrgana likes this.
  21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    There is nothing in the movie that suggests Rey Solo, the novel is a different topic. If they go down this route, it will be such a stupid 'I am your brother' reveal in VIII that it would not even be funny anymore. It would be ready for bashers sanctuary.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_thinking]

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    BTW, folks keep talking about the novel, but it's on pre-order on Amazon. Am I missing something?

24. GeneralOrgana

Dec 24, 2015
    Leia outright stating something that happened off-screen means it was presented in the film. You're just being obtuse, now. Do you doubt that Ben Solo is her son just because we didn't see her give birth?

As for the novel, it's been available as an e-book since the 18th.

MattOrgana likes this.
  25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I guess I should be clearer.....Han doesn't mention anything about Rey being their daughter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.