main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Detour-An Obi-Wan/Anakin Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/LuvEwan/winepicture.jpg]

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Written for the rejection challenge on Anarchy.

--

Anakin watched the tiny bubbles slowly ascend to the azure surface, collecting into a fine froth that lasted mere seconds before the process began again. There was a monotony to it, the same way Obi-Wan would tap his thumb twice and his longest finger once before taking a drink.

Anakin?s insides refused to adhere to any rhythm. They twirled and sloshed and nearly trembled up into his throat. Even in his obsessive state of mind, his thoughts were not of a single, clear-cut stream. A dozen stray worries and wonders tangled around the apprentice?s brain, not least of which was the anxious hope that Obi-Wan did not detect his protégé?s unrest.

The diner was intensely crowded; the walls seemed to strain against the hustling swell of patrons, and the air was dense with the contrasting aromas of warm food and warmer bodies. The few waitresses existed amid a veritable sea of famished creatures. Anakin followed the slow progress of an older server, who was trying in vain to push through a narrow opening between the backs of two bulbous customers. In her face, standing out severely from a soft cloud of gray hair, he saw years of this grim routine, squeezing through tight spaces and scraping together enough credits to buy a decent dinner for her children.

And then the gentle click of his Master?s fingernail against the bar drew him away from her. He fixed his focus on the deep bruise sprawled over Obi-Wan?s knuckle.

?You?re awfully quiet,? Obi-Wan commented, pausing to glance at Anakin, ?Is something wrong??

Anakin straightened slightly. ?No. It?s just so loud in here, I figured anything I said would get drowned out anyway.?

?Oh,? The older Jedi chuckled, ?Well, you forget I?m accustomed to these sorts of places. I would?ve been able to decipher your words.?

Anakin?s smile was half-hearted, and he studied his untouched glass with disinterest. He had decided years before to abandon any attempts at figuring out why his incurably temperate mentor, who held order and tranquility above all else, populated crumbling dives that would be questionable to a Hutt. Tonight, he was somewhat glad for Obi-Wan?s quirk. It was easier to avoid tender issues with the constant din of crashing pots and drunken chortles choking the atmosphere.

With Obi-Wan, there was always something to be left unspoken. Anakin was the one who could not bring himself to talk of it, as usual.

The mellow rap of a fingertip, another soft swallow. Then another.

Obi-Wan?s eyes possessed a wet, almost waxen sheen in the neon ambience of the diner lights. His lips were moist with the brilliantly colored liquor; he compressed them and briefly caressed his beard. ?The Council contacted me while you were attending the brief this afternoon.?

The voice was a little hoarse; for a moment, Anakin thought he had imagined it as it floated through the clamor of noise. Then he realized what Obi-Wan had told him, and the uneasy swirl started anew in his esophagus. ?They,? He stopped and took a breath, ?They did??

Obi-Wan was staring at the crowd. ?Yes.?

Anakin bit the skin inside his mouth. For over a month, he had been hinting at his Master that he was prepared for the Trials, eventually asking outright if Obi-Wan would speak on his behalf before the Council. Obi-Wan?s reaction had been bland, but that wasn?t an odd occurrence for him. He smiled after awhile, and promised Anakin that it would be done. Since then, the dreadful anticipation had become yet another source of insomnia for Padawan Skywalker.

It doesn?t matter, he told his jilted nerves, whatever they decide, it doesn?t matter.

Dryly, and very controlled, ?What did they say??

Obi-Wan breathed out slowly, setting his drink down and turning to look directly into Anakin?s eyes. His face was worn, beard touched by pale silver and a tad unkempt. ?I?m sorry, Anakin.?

I knew it. I KNEW it.

2. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow. Just wow. Everything you write just awes me, but I think this is one of my favorite things you've ever written. You write both Anakin and Obi-Wan so well. It was . . . perfect. Just perfect. Anakin's jittery anxiety and volatile emotions, Obi-Wan's quiet reactions (amid drinking). Perfect.

Wow.

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was perfectly written.

You did an excellent job capturing Anakin and Obi-Wan's characters.

I had to feel sorry for Anakin...why was the council so stubborn anyway? Maybe if they hadn't been...

Bravo

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved this when I first read it. It's got just the right amount of frustration and warmth to give a perfect picture of the two of them. You always do such a lovely job of bringing the picture into bright focus.

Wonderful as always!

5. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Think of these ten years as a detour? *jaw drops* Kill me with the bittersweetness, why don't you. Gods, but how I love your Obi-Wan. Masterful as always.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You've done it again! Made me speechless. This was so truly perfect - believable Obi-Wan and Anakin and how they react to each other. =D=

7. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    Yet another wonderful and stunning piece from you. You write Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship so well. It's perfect. As much as I love their relationship I'm too afraid to try and write them at the moment. *sighs* I'd love to be able to write them like this. You amaze me.

8. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    You do write this relationship so well, really in keeping with the characters. I love to see the interaction between these two. Great! =D=

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Loved it the first time I read it. Loved it even more, now. Anakin and Obi-Wan are so perfectly in character. Anakin's frustration, his barely restrained impatience when he bursts out, "How many more times must I prove myself?", and Obi-Wan's calmness and serenity, and understanding.

Perfect, perfect. =D=

10. Darth_Father-in-law

Darth_Father-in-law Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    I've never read anything from you before, and you amazed me. I love Anakin and Obi-wan, and you wrote their relationship perfectly. This was excellent! =D=

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You capture them both flawlessly! I'm so glad to see you posting again! I've missed your work so much! =D= You write the boys like no one else! [face_batting]

12. aden

aden Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2005
    WOw! I loved this; as I do everything you write. But when you're writing Obi-Wan and Anakin it's just genious!! LOVED it. =D=:)

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very tense and wonderful.

14. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    =D= Very good... I like how you depicted Anakin's anger and frusturation and Obi-wan calmness in the situation... I really think that Anakin was probably ready, but the Council is the 'Council' Add me to ur PM list. Thanx.

Rachel Rose@};-

15. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I absolutely LOVE this! You portray Anakin SO well and the whole dinamic of his and Obi-Wan's relationship is done very well too!

The damp glow of inebriation in Obi-Wan?s eyes glistened. When he blinked, it was gone. ?I have no doubt you could be. But the Council is always very particular about this sort of tradition.?

Is he defending them? Anakin couldn?t keep a hold of his breath; it hammered in and out of his lungs. ?Particular? It didn?t seem like they were too particular when you were Knighted.?

Obi-Wan frowned. ?Anakin??

The strain in his teacher?s tone pulled him from the whirlwind, and Anakin felt himself embroiled by shame. He wanted to step back, to the moment before he had said such a stupid, hurtful thing, but the mark was already there, in the sad lines carved into Obi-Wan?s face. Anakin couldn?t meet the gray eyes that sought his. ?I-I?m sorry, Master.?

Harsh! But I can understand why Anakin is so mad. This was probably my fave part.

Oh and the bit with the waitress at the end was a nice touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.