main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Detroit St. Patrick's Day Parade, Sunday 3-13

Discussion in 'Archive: Ann Arbor, MI' started by lavagrrrl, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Hello,

I wanted to let you all know about the 2005 St Patrick's Day Parade to be held here in beautiful downtown Detroit on Sunday March 13 and wanted to see if there was any interest in participating this year.

Currently, there are three members of the 501st that have been working hard to organize this event. I?d ask that you forward any and all questions on to them. I?m just acting to spread the word, as 1) this was a great event last year 2) it's rare that the FanForce is mentioned and invited and 3) there have been very few occasions recently to get together and show off our special level of geeky-ness.

Here is a bit that is also way down at the bottom of these obscenely long posts (sorry about that, by the way):
    Because of the sheer number of places that this message is being posted, please direct questions and responses to stpats@omegawing.net. This is a special e-mail address that is set to forward all messages to parade coordinators Steve Brejnak, Rome Ohnui, and Dan Provost, all in one convenient package. Replies on message forums MIGHT get missed, so be sure to e-mail in concerns if we don't address them right away on message boards. There are a lot of boards.....

The main message about this can be found on the Midwest Garrison EZBoard under the Michigan section Here is a link. It won?t work if you?re not signed into your EZBoard account, so sign in and then click away.

Current Parade attendance list

TI5925 Dan Provost (Tie pilot)
    TI8192 John B Blizzard (Tie pilot)

TB3999 Jon Redman (Biker Scout) or (Clone) tentative
    TK873 Jason Ivey (Stormtrooper)

TK1421 Barry J Hodge (Stormtrooper)
    TK465 Steve Brejnak (Stormtrooper)
    TK5037 John Leopold (Stormtrooper)
    TK298 Jeffery Hamm (Stormtrooper)
    TK1800 Jerome Ohnui (Stormtrooper)
    TK471 Peter Coe (Stormtrooper)
    TK192 Sheldon Ewers (Stormtrooper)
    TK130 Jay Shimko (Stormtrooper)
    Carrie Ivey (Stormtrooper) or (Rebel Pilot)
    TD866 Roger Rehman (Stormtrooper)
    TK7275 Christopher Balk (Stormtrooper) tentative

TD501 Doug Fesko (Sandtrooper)
    TD5152 Jeremy Pawelek (Sandtrooper)
    TD677 Kim M Smith (Sandtrooper) tentative

TX180 Kyle J Wellman (Special ops Trooper) or (Officer)
    TX338 Donavon D Larabel (Special ops Trooper) or (Officer)

TS1039 Cherie L Plevek (Snow trooper) tentative

IC1241 Belinda M Hodge (Imperial Security Bureau Officer) tentative
    IC6156 Carolyn Brown (Grand Moff)

TK3829 Christopher Brown (Jango fett)
    BH0542 Andy Miller (Boba Fett) tentative

Canada
    BH8311 Graeme (Boba Fett) tentative

Indiana Bloodfins
    TK1703 Jason Ujvari (Stormtrooper)
    SL1343 Courtney Ujvari (Mara Jade)
    BH8899 Jonathan (Jango Fett)

Illinois
    TK9989 Kathy Van Beuningen (stormtrooper) Quincy Van Beuningen tentative

Ohio
    TK1185 Sean M Redfern (stormtrooper) tentative

Target list (a.k.a. Rebel scum)

Lady Angelariel (rebel pilot)needs clone or reasonable facimilie for work to sneak out for parade

Susie Leopold (princess)

2. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Here is more info from Rome:

The Parade Particulars

SCHEDULE

Roger Rehman of the 501st has graciously arranged for a primary staging area of the Blue Cross Blue Shield building in Detroit for parking and costume changing. In addition, the owner of a local bar who may also be participating in the parade has offered to provide intermediate transportation to and from the "staging area" to the parade route.

Roger will need a finalized headcount & "guest list" at least one week prior, so please read further below regarding responses.

The schedule thus far is as follows:
    Saturday, February 26, 2005 or Sunday, February 27, 2005
    Meeting to go over final details and unfinished business for parade -- open to all

Friday, March 4, 2005
    Final headcount & guest list of BCBS arrivals submitted to Roger (date to be adjusted if Roger so requires)

Sunday, March 13, 2005
    11:00am - 11:30: meet at BCBS building @ 600 E. Lafayette, Detroit, MI (specifics on where to park will be posted later)
    12:15pm: Walk from BCBS building to The Detroiter bar (across the street)
    1:30pm: drop off by shuttle from Detroiter Bar to parade staging area
    2:00pm: parade begins

The parade lasts for approximately 2.5 hours.

Roger will be looking into expanding the window of arrival times. Updates will be posted promptly!

PHOTO SHOOTS

There will not be any formally arranged photo shoots. The time and energy expended last year, and the aggregate negative results it had later in the day made the whole thing not worthwhile. We can attempt a large group shot prior to the parade, but please don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. We will be out in costume in cold weather for at least 3-4 hours without a lunch break, which will add to crankiness and tension.

HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS

If any of our out-of-town friends would like to arrive Saturday, we'd like to arrange a get-together as a sort of "pre-parade night" and hang out, have a few drinks, have a few laughs, what-have-you. Call it a huge 501st/Rebel Legion/FanForce mini-Celebration!

A few hotel recommendations that are right off of I-75, us Michigan folk, and with some good places to hang out nearby:

Drury Inn
    575 W. Big Beaver
    Troy, MI 48084

Best Western Troy-Madison Inn
    1331 West 14 Mile Road
    Madison Hts., MI 48071

Econo Lodge - Madison Heights
    32703 Stephenson Hwy
    Madison Heights, MI 48071

Holiday Inn - Detroit-Troy
    2537 Rochester Ct.
    Troy, MI 48084

Rates range from $43 (Econo Lodge) on up.

We can provide caravan & direction assistance on that Sunday, so don't none of you worry about that!

CANON vs. NONCANON & WHO MAY PARTICIPATE

This is not a canon event insofar as the crowd is NOT going to be a bunch of Star Wars geeks, nor is this a CIII volunteer-style event where the canon-snobs will get bent out of shape just because that one square on your TIE pilot chest box is the wrong color, or your lenses are flat and not bubbled. The crowd is not going to be able to tell the difference between a sandtrooper and an AT-AT driver. In all honesty, it's going to be one of those crowds who'll recognize Stormtroopers, Darth Vader (which we need desperately, by the way, so if anyone knows anyone....), Boba Fett, and miscellaneous Jedi. And that's all.

Don't put yourselves out too much to have that über-unique costume that no one outside of our geekish circle will recognize.

Finally, the big question: who can join us.

The answer: EVERYONE WHO HAS A LEGION-QUALITY STAR WARS COSTUME AND IS A MEMBER OF ONE OF THE VARIOUS COSTUMING GROUPS!!!! That means 501st, Rebel Legion, all the various FanForce factions, etc. Just because the 501st is putting it on don't mean that the rest of y'all ain't welcome! Come one come all, Imperials, Rebels, stinky Sandpeople, etc. As long as you're 18+ or are accompanied by a legal guardian and meet those costume requirements of the big-time costuming groups, you are welcome to join! Just let us know who you are, and all the other info we'll need from ya (contact info at the bottom of

3. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Thanks for the invite,Susie :)

I would be interested in doing this,but it would really depend on my work schedule.I usually have to work most Sundays.

4. YodasBrownEyedGirl

YodasBrownEyedGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    I'd also be interested Susie. I would be on of the few Rebel scum considering my very basic Jedi costume. More chances to wear my costume the better. Warm up for C3.
    I remember there was tv converage last year. That was most impressive.
    We'll definitely let someone know ASAP.
    :D

5. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    It would be great if you guys could make it! I would love to see your new costume (and it has been way too long since I've seen both of you!!!). :D

6. YodasBrownEyedGirl

YodasBrownEyedGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    We'll do our best. :D

7. darthhomeboy-G

darthhomeboy-G Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2005
    hi there, my name is godfrey ( homeboy, count me in. i do want to join in your group and i do have a awesome "darth vader costume..from ebay) cost me $2,900.00 and in cast noone doesn't have a darth vader yet. i don't mind walking with you guys!! god bless and keep the force strong....homeboy-G

8. BlastyTrooper

BlastyTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2003
    I got this bit of info from TB1800 last night:

They MUST e-mail us to tell us they're coming -- otherwise, we won't be able to keep track of all the possible message boards on which this is being discussed. The official list is being kept here, so if you see some people not on it who are planning on coming, please tell them to contact us ASAP!

Everyone who plans on going, please email stpats@omegawing.net. Again, they need your first and last names along with the costume you plan on wearing.

That is the only way to get on the list.

Thanks

9. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Does anyone know how long the parade route is?

-MM

10. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Well...
    I was not able to get the day off. Soooo, I guess I can't come to the parade. Have fun to all that go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.