main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Deus Irae, grand finale part II of II: A tale of Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by masterskywalker, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    You have a very vivid writing style fitting of a story concerning the Dark Lord. Excellent job, as always, masterskywalker! :)

2. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Interesting. I'm just a little confused... is it really supposed to be "God of Wrath"? Or is it supposed to be "Day of Wrath"?

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    In a PM to me, masterskywalker explained to my Latin-challanged self that "Deus Irae" means "Wrath of God". ;)

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Uppenheimer.

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    This is very well written indeed.

I learnt more about the Vong when reading it.

These parts were great:

?Come now my feisty young Nexu,? the black giant mocked, ?Surely you realize you are no match for the power of the force. Surrender, tell me who you work for, and I promise I will make your eventual death painless, rather than in agony.?

He tried to repress the thought that it was Obi Wan who taught him this technique, which he had learned from Qui Gon himself... Both were dead, and only existed now as ghostly phantoms to menace his mind.

Vader faced down his eight foes with perfect calm. Each came at him, their black staffs baying for his blood. He fought and heaved his saber as he hadn?t in years, striking, blocking and countering like a furious Vappad.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Hmmmm... Over a month since the last update... :(

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    A month behind! But never fear! The next two chapters of Deus Irae is here! :D ;)

Target lost, we are attempting to??
    ?Idiot! You should not have lost him in the first place!? Patience was not a virtue Commander Gilrath possessed.
    ?He cannot go far commander, schematics of this damutek show only one way out from the depths he leapt to. We shall find him and dig him out like a dromak tick.?
    ?Then send two teams immediately, we are running out of time. By now the other infidels must surely know something is amiss.? Gilrath knew it would also time for the infidels to breach the emergency lockdown, but they had to be out of there before that happened. Secrecy was paramount, no infidel must have the slightest hint of the Yuuzhan Vong?s presence in the galaxy. One miss step could send the entire invasion into a disaster. While he was here without orders, he had no intention of betraying the identity of the Yuuzhan Vong.
    ?In the meantime, Scourge Six will secure our transportation off this machine infested world. Team three will stay in reserve. Once in orbit, we will annihilate this area with a volley of plasma fire. We will then escape before the infidels can investigate. Our victory is at hand my children, and woe to our enemies!?

In the deepest, darkest depths of the facility, Darth Vader waited. Emergency lighting provided illumination only to scattered patches of the floor. Various tubes and piping ran across the ceiling, and the floor was wet with condensation. He merely had to wait. These warriors were blandly predictable, they would not stop until he was dead. Which meant their actions were simple to predict. They would come, and he would kill them. Gesturing towards one of the ceiling pipes, he gathered a measure of his power and squeezed?

The enemy came, stamping down the hallways with no fear of ambush or entrapment. The under workings of the base were a maze of corridors, and were hardly ideal for melee combat. At a cross section, Darth Vader stepped forward into the light and waited. Two assassins, rounding a corner let out a bellow. Moments latter, six more came from the other three corridors, surrounding him. ?Your efforts thus far have proven futile. Have you come to finish what your comrades failed to do? Or are you simply lost??
    The leader of the group stepped forward, ?We will not be mocked by a monstrosity! Prepare to??
    ?Die,? said the man in black.
    A streak of red stabbed towards the ground, the faintest tip stroking the puddle at his feet.
    Unfortunately for the Yuuzhan Vong, the ground was wet with more than just water.

The rocket fuel exploded in a fantastic conflagration. Bathing the hallways with the light of hell. Exploding outward in all directions, the screams of the Yuuzhan Vong were drowned out. With great mental strain, the Dark Lord was able to redirect nearly all of the fire?s energy. As the jet of liquid death faded away, Darth Vader stood smoldering in the ruin. Without a glance, he started back to the upper levels of the factory. But something was?
    Vader stepped to the right of the charging warrior the instant he swung. The warrior missed by a faction and stumbled into the wall. Her body was horribly burned, but she had survived because he was the furthest from Vader?s trap. Not that her survival meant anything. He lunged forward with a flourish and stabbed, the tip of the lightsaber pierced from eye to skull, and incinerating everything in between. The sickening sweet smell of burning flesh reached Vader?s nose even through his breather.

?Teams two and four, report your status.? No answer.
    ?What is your status team two? Come in team four.?
    Sadly, Gilrath already knew the answer to that question. Why did the gods mock them so? Were they so unworthy of defeating this beast?
    ?Sir, heat scanners indicate one life form approaching our location? I think it is the creature.?
    Gilrath gave his orders quickly, ?we have no choice but to retreat men. I swear to you, we shall avenge this defeat.? If we survive, Gilrath thought.

8. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    up, any comments? I'm heading into the home strech. Ah yes, and how do you "advertize" so to speak your completed fan fiction on TFN? Just e-mail and ask?

9. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I think its very good. Vader at one of his finest moments

10. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    *giggles and bounces in her chair* This has got to be one of the bext action stories about Vader I've read! Great stuff, really nice to read and Vader is so in character!
    Muahahahahahahahahaaaa! Those miserable Vong don't stand a chance against our Chosen One!

11. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I'm working on the final chaper now. With any luck, it should be up in a few days. Then I'll just touch the story and submit it to TFN. Thanks for your support everyone! I had a lot of fun writing this thing. :)

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Whoops. Read this a while ago and didn't comment. [face_blush]

Largely because I was busy, and partly because there wasn't much criticism for me to offer. Well done, masterskywalker. :cool:

Can't wait for the final chapter. :D

13. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    These were clearly not traitors. No self respecting Imperial, traitor or no, would utter such trite garbage.

These warriors were blandly predictable, they would not stop until he was dead. Which meant their actions were simple to predict. They would come, and he would kill them.

Darth Vader?s reluctance to attack had nothing to do with the odds against him. He simply didn?t want to blow himself up.

[face_laugh]

This is awesome, masterskywalker. Very well done, indeed. Can't wait for the conclusion. :D

14. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Okay, second to last installment. I couldn't leave my fans waiting. ;) :p

?Captain??
    Elmen Sholar, captain of the Garret, snapped out of a trance. One minute, he had been gazing out the viewport at the scorched planet below, and then a lance a pain had struck his mind. Shaking off the nightmare, he tried to compose himself. Then like a battle droid he snapped upright. Against all logic, against reason, he knew what he had to do next.
    ?Ensign, give me a firing solution on Balmorra Arms Facility 8934. Then begin a five minute countdown and commence full orbital bombardment.?
    ?Si? Sir??
    ?You have your orders Ensign! Now follow them! I will accept full responsibility for this action!?
    The young ensign gulped and set to his task, hoping that it wouldn?t be his head on the chopping block for following this insane order.

Commander Gilrath and the four remaining members of the Drathuk Yun Yammka clanked angrily to the turbo lift that would take them to the landing pad on the roof.
    ?May the Gods forgive this heinous retreat,? he muttered to himself.
    A flicker of darkness turned the commander around as they entered the lift. As he glanced over his shoulder, he locked eyes with the demon which had slaughtered his soldiers. Leaping from catwalks above, the thing?s massive weight crushed the polished floor with a sickening crack. His? machine voice boomed to life and filled him with secret dread.
    ?You made a grievous mistake by coming here. Now you will suffer the consequences of your actions.?
    ?Make no mistake foul creature, you will die. Your people?s dominion over this galaxy is coming to an end.?
    The man in black drew closer.
    ?Small words from a smaller adversary. Your posturing is as laughable as your attempt on my life. You will die having failed your people and your soldiers.
    Gilrath smirked, ?We shall see.?
    The turbo lift?s doors snapped shut.
    ?Yes, we will,? the Sith announced.

The Yuuzhan Vong stepped out of the lift onto the landing pad, on top of the highest building in the plant. Located in the center of the facility, the rest of the munitions plant spread out below through smaller warehouses and assembly areas spanning outwards like spokes on a wheel. The sun had nearly set over the horizon, providing faint illumination for the vast roof. The soldiers worked fast.
    ?Subaltern, secure that vessel for our departure,? Gilrath said gesturing to a nearby shuttle. ?Destroy the rest.?
    Walking up the boarding ramp, Gilrath took one final look at the place that had become the grave for his soldiers. He would rather die than return to another machine infested cesspool such as this.
    And unnoticed by the Yuuzhan Vong, the bottom of the turbo lift grew red hot, and melted away. From hole, the knight of darkness emerged to take his vengeance.

He arrived a fraction of a second too late. The small shuttle rose into the torn sky, firing a spread of laser fire at the remaining ships. They exploded one after the other, a huge rendition of a child?s firecracker. He watched the vessel dive sharply away from him and sensed it beginning a long slow loop away from the facility. Striding across the burning wreckage, the Dark Lord gazed off the roof of the cylindrical structure, sighted the shuttle, then inhaled deeply and sighed. He would take every bit of his power to survive this trial. He would succeed though, after all, he was Sith. Focusing his mind, he then drew on his inner most reserves. Ironically, through Sith training he had finally gained the control he had lacked as an impetuous Jedi youth. Darkness and pure, raw energy coalesced around him like a storm. This is what the Jedi denied him. Jealous of his power, they sought to use him for their own ends, while stunting his unparalleled potential. The rusted teachings of a few old monks couldn?t match the power of 20,000 midiclorians; they never could, and he had demonstrated that fact to many Jedi personally. He was a virgence in the force, and now he no longer feared wielding the force to its fullest ability?

The Garret h

15. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Loved the last part, the brash young part of Vader coming out. Very good fic :D

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Vader = Batman! OMG!! :p

17. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Sorry about the delay folks. College and all that rot. I'd actually finished this a week ago, but forgot to post it. :p

The shock of the explosion made Vader?s vision go white and his teeth rattle in his skull. ?No time for pain,? he thought. ?Not if I?m to survive this?.
    The instant his feet gained traction on the warehouse?s roof, he exploded forward. A mass driver could not have accelerated him faster. A perfect fusion of man and machine, Vader hurled himself forward at speeds that would shatter the bones of any organic. His legs were a blur as he screamed ahead of the wall of fire erupting behind him, shattering duracrete with every step. He leapt off the warhead storage warehouse a split second before it too was consumed by the ravenous bolts of energy raining from the heavens. The fire pursued him, hunted him, but he was no mere mortal, no subject to death?s whim, he was Sith.

?Commander!?
    Gilrath interrupted him, and snapped off his order, ?Yes I know, increase speed so that we may escape this infidel ambush.?
    ?No sir, its??
    ?What??
    ?It?s him.?
    With a hiss Gilrath saw a small shape below, quite impossibly, outrunning the waves of green light and billowing clouds of fire that consumed the installation. What would it take to kill this abomination! Throwing it off a cliff? Dumping it into space? Hurling it into a volcano!?

After charging across three more buildings, Vader caught sight of the shuttle. His strength was nearly spent, but he had enough left for a final gambit. With his last measure of energy, he soared off the roof of one of the taller warehouses and aimed for a long energy cable connecting two of the towering structures. With a flash of his saber, he severed the wire and grabbed it, swinging across a hundred meters in a few seconds, the mass of his body accelerating his speed. At the high point of his swing, he pushed himself towards the fleeing ship with everything he had left, as the fire consumed the base below.

?We have nearly cleared the compound Sir.?
    ?A clever move on the infidel?s part, they nearly finished us. Any sign our former prey??
    A moment of hesitation.
    ?No Sir. He must have perished in the flames.?
    Finally, Gilrath allowed himself a small sigh of relief.
    It was a mistake.

Darth Vader landed on the engine compartment of the Imperial Shuttle with a loud bang. The physical impact alone would have done negligible damage to the craft?s internal systems, but the blood colored blade that was propelled into its primary drive was not so easily ignored. The shuttle erupted in flame and smoke, plunging inexorably towards a small communications structure just outside the munition base?s perimeter. At the last moment, Vader leapt from the diving vessel and rolled to his feet as the shuttle crashed.

With a hacking cough, Gilrath pried himself from the crumpled wreckage of his shuttle.
    ?To?la? Yarlith?? he sputtered. Through the smoke and fire, he caught sight of his men, impaled on the controls they had used to fly the vessel.

They had died, all of his soldiers had died. Slain by a beast that was all but unkillable. The proud warrior hauled himself out of the burning shuttle, dragging himself forward with his arms. With little chance of escape, Gilrath pulled out the Imperial blaster that had been part of his infiltration disguise and prepared to kill himself. A flicker of motion to the left caught his eye. Flames from the shuttle consumed the roof around him. Then, from a solid wall of flame, the destroyer emerged.

Darth Vader walked towards his prey.

Dread and horror flooded into Gilrath for the first time in his life. ?No! This is impossible!? Again and again Gilrath fired his blaster, hoping that this profane weapon would somehow save him and his honor. He empted his magazine of focused energy packets into the creature at three meters. The first few rounds actually veered away from him, but the remaining shots burned holes in his armor leaving pits of fire in his chest. The dark juggernaut never even slowed. He continu

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOW! Amazing post, I can't wait to see Vader track down Luke.

19. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Well, that's basically covered in the Empire Strikes Back :p. 17 pages is a good size for a first ever fanwriter. ;) Glad yall enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun to get the ol' creative juices flowing again. :)

20. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    This rules :)

Vader's power is very close to how i see him in this fic :D

21. JHoSSmAn

JHoSSmAn Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2001
    That was a great short story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.