main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Devils and Dust (Missing Fury scene (so FURY SPOILERS...duh), Jag, Zekk, angst, songfic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lusa_Thul, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    So, I totally love how Fury finally went "Oh yeah, Zekk had that whole dark side thign going, didn't he?" :p I'm too lazy to dig up page numbers, but when they're running around like Scooby Doo chasing Alema Jag has a moment where he's all, "Hey, um, Jaina, Zekk is being sort of emo and suicidal up there. Wanna go check it out?" But they don't show Jag encountering said emo Jedi. Luckily, you have me around to fix that problem for you!

Disclaimer: Song is Devils and Dust by Bruce Springsteen, who is probably the most excellent musical genius ever.

I got my finger on the trigger
    But I don't know who to trust
    When I look into your eyes
    There's just devils and dust
    We're a long, long way from home, Bobbie
    Home's a long, long way from us
    I feel a dirty wind blowing
    Devils and dust

I got God on my side
    And I'm just trying to survive
    What if what you do to survive
    Kills the things you love
    Fear's a powerful thing, baby
    It can turn your heart black you can trust
    It'll take your God filled soul
    And fill it with devils and dust

Jag was a soldier, someone who had learned to deal with pain a long time ago. He could take a beating and not let it slow him down or stop him from accomplishing his task, but it could be pretty damn hard at times. That exact moment would have made a pretty good example, for instance. Just because the mynocks that had dragged him through every inch of this asteroid were Force projections did not mean they could not hurt him. The broken bones, internal injuries and countless cuts and bruises he had sustained over their wild ride certainly backed that up. Still, he wasn?t dying, and with the zero gravity of the place he did not have to worry about walking, which was all that mattered at this point.

As soon as Alema?s Force projections had vanished, he had immediately begun to try to find his way back to Jaina and Zekk, wherever they were. If he had been a Jedi he would have been able to track them through the Force; as it was he had to rely on memory and instinct to make his way back through the complex maze of caverns and tunnels that made up the asteroid. Even knowing he was going as fast as he could did nothing to help his hidden worry that he would not get there in time, that something would go wrong with this whole crazy plan and all their work would have to start all over again.

Finally he discovered the abandoned track that spiraled down into the mines, the same one they had followed earlier. Soon the caverns began to look familiar and he almost began to let himself hope he would still be able to help.

He dropped down into the next cavern, one of the largest he had seen so far, though nearly all of that size was hidden in shadow. In fact, it was so dark he almost did not notice the still figure that sat clinging to the tracks, oblivious to the slowly venting atmosphere or the dropping temperature.

Well I dreamed of you last night
    In a field of blood and stone
    The blood began to dry
    The smell began to rise

Well I dreamed of you last night, Bobbie
    In a field of mud and bone
    Your blood began to dry
    And the smell began to rise

?Zekk?? He asked, wondering what the Jedi was doing here alone, wanting to demand to know where Jaina was and why he was not helping her. Something about the other man?s hunched posture and utter stillness made him pause, though. He and Zekk were not exactly friends, but he certainly knew him well enough to see that something was wrong.

If that had not been obvious, Zekk?s utter lack response would have given it away. Jag frowned, not wanting to stop if Jaina was on her own and might need help, but also bound by a sense of honor that would not let him just leave a comrade just sitting there. He did not see any injuries on Zekk?s body, but he was so still and silent, he already pale skin as white as death that he looked like a corpse.

He dropped down until he was on eye level with the seated Jedi, asking, ?Are you hurt??

This time Zekk noticed him, and what flashed in his eyes eme

2. Meshugenah

Meshugenah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    Oh. My. Gosh. I now have to go find that section in Fury and reread it. Goodness. I absolutely love Jag's reaction to Zekk, and actually, Jag in general I don't normally like much, but I did! And Zekk. Oh, Zekk[face_love]

?Get out of here before I kill you.?
    *shudders* wow. Just... wow.

This was great!

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That...was actually quite good. =D= First story on here to actually hold my interest for an extended period of time.

4. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Lusa, that was wonderful!!! =D=

I loved Fury and this missing scene plays in there perfectly.

FL @};-

5. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    =D= That was really good!!!!!

I also loved Fury and couldn't let go of what happened to Zekk. This missing moment vignette was perfect. It's now how i will imagine their conversation went.

I've realized, Zekk is such a "nice boy" we underestimate his power. I think his scenes in Fury show that. I loved how you brought that out! And i loved Jag's thoughts and reactions.

Thanks!

6. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Nice missing scene. I didn't even think about the fact that Jag would have had to encounter Zekk when I read the book. But it would have had to be creepy for Jag and you definitely showed that here.

7. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    If he had been a Jedi he would have been able to track them through the Force; as it was he had to rely on memory and instinct to make his way back through the complex maze of caverns and tunnels that made up the asteroid.

I like how you show Jag's non-Jedi ways of dealing with things here.

Jag frowned, not wanting to stop if Jaina was on her own and might need help, but also bound by a sense of honor that would not let him just leave a comrade just sitting there.

LotF!Jag's honor is one of his better character traits, IMO. :)

This time Zekk noticed him, and what flashed in his eyes emerald was so primal and ferocious looking Jag actually started back in surprise. The expression that twisted across his face was so full of hate and rage that he had literally no idea how to react.

This part almost made me jump. :eek:

Even his eyes looked different; the thin black coronas that rimmed them seemed to have expanded, slowly swallowing that pure green just like that evil expression had taken over his face.

I'm totally loving the way you write dark!Zekk. The description of his eyes is really cool.

When he finally looked back up, Jag still had a hard time recognizing him through the fear that had taken over.

?Get out of here before I kill you.? He whispered. It was a plea, not a threat and he was shaking so hard the mumbled words were barely understandable.

Poor Zekk. :( That's our boy: barely alive, and still only worried about everyone else.

Until recently he had always been rather scornful of the Jedi, and it had been easy to dismiss it as nothing more than a few moments of teenage anger or hurt, nothing more. Looking at the dangerous expression that was beginning to gain control of Zekk?s face once more, though, he had to wonder if he had been wrong before. This was not someone who had dabbled in darkness for a bit like Jaina, or someone who used it for petty, selfish reasons like Alema. The man who wore Zekk?s face now was not someone to be dismissed or made light of. This was someone who knew full well how to use the darkness that was coursing through his soul and Jag had a feeling that even with his Mandalorian armor, he would not last a minute if Zekk decided to attack him.

Dude. I love this paragraph so very much. :D I think it sums up a lot of people's attitudes toward Zekk: he never does anything big and flashy as a light Jedi, and he seems overly obsessed with avoiding the dark side, so they just underestimate him and write him off as weak. But he has very good reasons for being careful, since he could probably wipe out everyone around him if he really lost it and stopped rationing his power. YJK didn't delve too deeply into it since it was a kids' series, but I always thought Zekk would not have been someone you wanted to meet while he was in his dark!angry!vindictive! state. I mean, he was dark, and he enjoyed it.

But leaving him alone now could be disastrous. When they came back, would they find Zekk, or the Darkest Knight?

This is a very good point. Jag did kind of take a risk here.

?I?ll find her,? He decided reluctantly, ?She?ll be able to save you.?

Zekk just laughed, an insane sort of cackle that unnerved Jag almost as much as the first glance of his hate-filled face had. ?You can?t save people like me.?

Zekk's scenes in this part of the book made me want to hug him so bad. It was like self-loathing YJK Zekk all over again. Not that that's a bad thing. [face_love]

Fabulous missing scene! I confess I hadn't given a lot of thought to the implied Jag/Zekk encounter, but this is just how I would have imagined it happening if I had. ;) Great job! :D

8. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Excellent little character piece! =D= The Zekk angst was, as always, supremely well done; the last paragraph especially gave me the chills. Thanks for sharing. :)

9. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Meshugenah

Aww, thanks! I always thought that scene must have been pretty intense to get Jag worried about Zekk, even if they are sort of friends now. Glad you liked it!

The_Loyal_Imperial

That...was actually quite good.

Oh, thanks. You sound so surprised! :p No, kidding. Seriously, though, glad you liked it! It means a lot to me when people say stuff like that. (About it being the first fic to hold your attention, that is. Not the quote up there! :p )

Flowerlady

Thanks so much! I loved Fury to, so I'm really glad this actually fit in well with it!

iamobiwan1970

I've realized, Zekk is such a "nice boy" we underestimate his power. I think his scenes in Fury show that.

I agree. I thought Fury was the first time in forever Zekk came across as a really strong, powerful guy, as opposed to Jaina's dopy sidekick. Glad you liked!

Solo_and_Fel

Thanks! I really loved how Jag was written in this book, and just counldn't help wondering what that encounter must have been like for him!

Emerald_Lady

I think it sums up a lot of people's attitudes toward Zekk: he never does anything big and flashy as a light Jedi, and he seems overly obsessed with avoiding the dark side, so they just underestimate him and write him off as weak. But he has very good reasons for being careful, since he could probably wipe out everyone around him if he really lost it and stopped rationing his power. YJK didn't delve too deeply into it since it was a kids' series, but I always thought Zekk would not have been someone you wanted to meet while he was in his dark!angry!vindictive! state. I mean, he was dark, and he enjoyed it.

I so totally agree with all of this except you articulated it way better than I ever could! :p

JoE

Merci! You know how I am with my Zekk angst! :p I just love it!

10. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    This was amazing! I haven't read up to <i>Fury</i> yet, but I still loved it.

The emotion and intensity were very plain, you did a great job with that.

?Get out of here before I kill you.? He whispered. It was a plea, not a threat and he was shaking so hard the mumbled words were barely understandable.
    I love this line. It's incredibly intense, and at the same time show's Zekk's unwillingness toward the Dark Side, even as it consumes him, but how dangerous he can be despite it.

?You can?t save people like me.? He replied, the laughter chasing Jag out of the cavern as he fled into the darkness, leaving Zekk alone to battle for his soul once more.
    I loved this line too.

Awesome! =D=

11. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Ok... haven't read the book - but now I want to find this section where Jag tells Jaina to find Zekk lol!

Zekk just laughed, an insane sort of cackle that unnerved Jag almost as much as the first glance of his hate-filled face had. ?You can?t save people like me.? He replied, the laughter chasing Jag out of the cavern as he fled into the darkness, leaving Zekk alone to battle for his soul once more.

*Shudders* Creepy and so evil, yet heartbreaking.

Very chilling piece my dear!

12. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    ZekksGoddess

Thank! Ooh, you have to read Fury! It was so super awesome! Zekk gets major awesome angst, which is always a yay in my book. :p

Jade_Max

Yes, go read the book! Jag and Zekk are actually buddies and its cool and Zekks gets major angst! :p

13. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I had to re-read this... it's just so... so... well, good is the thought that comes to mind. So disturbing and chilling and yet wonderful all at the same time.

And yes, I'll read the book eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.