main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dex, lies and holotape! (A young Qui-Gon Jinn, Dex Berlingside and Mace Windu story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Apr 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Okay, to celebrate National Dex Berlingside week this is a mini (please god) round robin based on a little section in TLST (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) which takes in an incident in Qui-Gon's childhood. The premise is simple enough; the youngsters are dared by Mace to spend a night in a supposedly haunted house.

A working knowledge of the characters in the 'Jemmiah chronicles' is preferable. If you feel the need to add your own characters then you can do so if they will fit in at all.

What happens is up to you. (Except don't kill the characters off. Very bad for continuity!)

THE CAST (so far) :

Qui-Gon Jinn aged 13
    Mace Windu aged 11
    Gilda Amaline aged 11
    Vernice Ashdal aged 9
    Dex Berlingside aged 9
    Sal-Fina Falmar aged 8

'Dex, lies and holotape'

"I'm telling you?it's pretty darned scary in here! I've seen some stuff that would make you turn green?unless you were Yoda of course. I dunno, I s'pose he'd turn some other color?.it's soooooo cold in here too! You just wouldn't believe how cold it is. There's definitely some evil presence lurking in this building, and I'm not just talking about Mace either! Nobody believed me when I said this building was haunted but I bet they're all thinking twice about it now!"

Green, wide eyes stared directly into the holocam held up infront of the face, shaking hands causing the cam to waver about.

"Things are getting REALLY spooky. The lights keep on going out for some reason I couldn't work out. Lightsabres have been shorting for no reason at all. There's no food, the place is damp and miserable and Mace is snoring in the corner so it's almost like being back in the crèche again."

A faint smile tugged at the lips of the fair-haired boy but was quickly stifled at the sound of some loud crashing noise in the distance behind him. The blonde head whipped round.

"What the Kriff was that?!?" he exclaimed in a high pitch screech, eyes as wide as a Hutt at a banquet.

The cam was nearly dropped in shock, but neatly recovered by fumbling, freezing fingers.

"Pardon my language." The young voice added. "But that was kriffing scary! Something just launched itself off the wall at Sal-Fina. I've no idea why anything would want to throw itself at her?unless it was trying to kill her or something."

The sound of hysterical crying could be heard drifting from the back of the dark room.

"The next time Mace wants to stay in a haunted house he can go on his own! I may be Corellian but I'm NOT stupid! I say we get out of here quick smart, huh Qui?"
    "I'm with you." A slightly older sounding voice floated out of the darkness.

"I don't like this." The green eyed boy stared at the holocam. "This is freaky. I'm going back to the temple and I'm locking myself in my bedroom for the next ten years. Except maybe to go to the fresher."

The boy's breath clouded the cam for a moment, sounding ragged as his sides quaked.

"There's that strange thumping noise again?kriff, this is deliciously frightening. Even Mace has started to blub." He looked back over his shoulder. "I hate to be the one to say this but I've got a bad fe-"

Tzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The voice and picture were cut off by static.

For a moment there was silence. Real silence, where a pin drop would have sounded like major road construction. The figure bent down to retrieve the holodisk and ejected it from the equipment, holding it carefully between finger and thumb. A long hood attached to dark robes covered the face, the shoulders within the clothing quivering slightly up and down.

The stillness of the chill morning was broken finally by insane, echoing laughter?

THE DAY BEFORE:

"Qui-Gon!"

Padawan Jinn looked up from his studies?or at least from where he was pretending to study. Yoda had just given him an incomprehensible amount of work on old/classical/teetering-on-extinction type languages and he was finding it virtually impossible to take in. Thoughts, both connected and random, buzzed around in his head confusing him beyond all measure. Th

2. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Dex is such a cheeky devil! I love that fact that he's so glib over winning money from the masters at Sabacc! :)

But what's that Corellian up to? Can't wait to find out!

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    THat's cool Jemm!

A perfect way to celebrate National Dex Week!

Kithera

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Why do I have a feeling Mace said no such thing about Qui being a scaredy nerf and he just manipulated his friend??? That cheeky kid!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

5. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    This is going to be hilarious! Will we get to see how Mace gets his fear of bugs? Judging by what they said he ate while in the haunted house in LT&P, I would think that would do it.

6. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Yeehee! Great idea for a story, Jemmiah! I won't be joining in on this one, I'm not exactly keeping up wonderfully on the things I /am/ involved with, but I'll definately be here reading! :)

7. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Ah, the Blair Dex Project!

Oh sheesh, I've got a character who'd like to be included in some way but I don't know what to do with him yet.

Hmmm...

8. Jedi_Arwen

Jedi_Arwen Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Yeah, this looks like it's going to be hilarious! I also have a character that could be included. I haven't read any of your stories yet so I don't really know any of the characters except Qui, so I think I'm going to just read for a while so I can kind of get to know the characters. I hope you understood what I just said! ;) I ramble too much...

~Arwen~

9. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    LOL! This is going to be so funny!

10. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh my. I have to say that I just -love- the title.

11. Shada_Dawn_Kenobi

Shada_Dawn_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2001
    Wow!! I was expecting to have to leave /that/ particular adventure up to my imagination, but here it is! ;)

Padawan Jinn? Somehow that just sounds wrong, I never could picture him as a Padawan; he's always been Master Jinn. How odd that seems! :)

This is an interesting story so far, especially with the holotape recording bit. Keep up the good work - this is perfect for Dex Week! I'm sad it's almost over.

12. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    WHOO-HOO! I'm looking forward to reading...I'm so far behind in everything else, nobody'll even notice I'm missing. :D

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Can't seem to stay away from Jemmy's round robins. :) :)

Qui-Gon sat at the table, quietly eating from the bowl put before him.

Across from him his master, Yoda noisily slurped at his own, every once in a while a heavy-lidded eye cast in his apprentice? direction.

It was unlike his padawan to not make some derogatory comment about the choice of sustenance laid before him. The boy was up to something he had no doubt.

?That was very good Master.? Qui-Gon complimented, scrapping the bowl clean, and shoving the last, thick spoonful into his mouth with a grimace.

?Good... hmmph. Never before have you described our meal as such.? a long ear twitched slightly.

?Yeah, I guess it just takes some getting use to.? the teenager laughed nervously, rising and gathering his dishes.

Taking them to the sink he scrubbed them clean, placing them in the rack to dry, all the while trying to think how he would sneak out of the apartment tonight. There was no way this side of sith?s hell his master would allow the youngsters out of the temple.

?Something to ask have you hmmm?? Yoda?s calm voice inquired and Qui-Gon very nearly jumped. *Damn, he always does that!*

This was going to take desperate measures. Taking a deep breath Qui-Gon turned. ?Master... if it?s.. alright with you Dex is planning a sleepover.?

There I said it, he thought miserably. It wasn?t a lie, he told himself. The younger padawan was indeed planning a sleepover, it just wasn?t at his apartment. Not divulging all the information wouldn?t be seen as a lie... technically anyway.

?Invited by Master Montal?? Yoda stared at him and Qui-Gon could feel the weight of that gaze and he found himself wanting to confess everything.

?Um, no, not really.? Qui-Gon endeavored to keep himself from fidgeting. ?It?s really Dex?s idea.? Yeah, Dex had thought that they could all tell their masters they would spend the night at his apartment and he would tell Master Montal he was staying elsewhere. Then they?d be free to visit the lower levels and investigate the supposedly haunted house.

Minutes passed as Qui-Gon waited for an answer, anxiously biting on the inside of his lip.

?Have all your class assignments done have you?? Yoda?s lazy eyes studied him intently.

?Yes Master, bio-physics, mathematics and I?ve even finished the research paper on Ancient Coruscant that?s due next week.?

Again another couple of minutes passed in silence whilst he became even more convinced that his master would ask just what their plans for the evening was. That would be something a lot harder to skirt the truth around. His mind was diligently trying to come up with possible answers when Yoda spoke.

?My permission you have. Enjoy yourself you will, but mind Master Montal you must.?

Qui-Gon blinked in surprise, stunned at his master?s acceptance of his story. Yoda always seemed to know when he was up to something. His intimate attunement to the Unifying Force had precipitated a great many close encounters for Qui-Gon with the infamous gimer stick when he thought that he?d gotten away with some small indiscretion.

That?s why it came as such a shock for Yoda to so readily consent to the request.

?Thank you master? Qui-Gon hastily offered, before the diminutive Jedi had cause to change his mind.

14. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    LOLOLOL! Yoda suspects something! But just what is it? I loved how he tried to make his padawan feel uncomfortable at every turn without asking him a single direct question! Great post Leona!

15. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Why am I reminded of Qui-Gon later in life? Don't you think that sounds like something he'd do, ask a question and delay his response? :D

Excellent post, Leona!

16. Shada_Dawn_Kenobi

Feb 19, 2001
    Hehehe! I can just imagine Yoda knowing exactly what's going on but letting them get away with their little scheme because he knows what will happen.

Um, I hope that made sense. It's sort of late here. ;)

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :D :D :D :D :D

wonderful!!! I get the feeling that Dex has a Blair Witch thing planned....

18. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Yoda's probably glad to get him out the way. Maybe he's got his own sleep over planned! All the masters coming round for a chese and gruel party :)

19. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Heee! A very big plot bunny just bit me. I might have to join in after all... ;)

20. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Leona is that what you... Oh, nevermind! :D

Too funny! It's nice to see Qui-Gon squirm! Now I see whay he does it to Obi! [face_laugh]

21. Shada_Dawn_Kenobi

Feb 19, 2001
    I hope this isn?t too bad a post---I?ve never written anything on the JC boards before except responses to other posts. :)

Dex laughed to himself as he picked up his holocam, which he was bringing with him on the trip to the ?haunted house?. Of course, he had never heard anyone refer to the old house as haunted - he had made that up to compel Qui to come with him - but he had to have an excuse to get out of this stuffy Jedi Temple and have some adventure. This would be a perfect opportunity to scare Sal-Fina away from ever tagging along with him and his friends again.

Standing up, he stuffed several small objects into his tunic pocket and left his room. /This is perfect, / Dex thought to himself. /I amaze even myself at how smart I am. They will be sooo frightened! / He smiled at himself in the mirror and grinned at how well he had everything working perfectly.

There was only one thing left to do.

Turning to enter his master?s room, he knocked once. ?Come in,? Master Montal called. Dex entered his room, seeing the Jedi Master in a meditative pose.

?What is it, Padawan?? asked Master Montal.

?Master? Would it be alright if I stayed over at Mace?s for the night? We?re having a sleepover along with some friends.?

The master looked thoughtful for a moment, but then acquiesced, to Dex?s relief. ?That?s fine. Master Yoda has invited several masters over for dinner, and I am going. I was going to look for a babysitter, but it looks like everything will be fine. What a coincidence that the two events are on the same date!?

?Yes, what a coincidence, master,? Dex echoed, twisting his hands nervously. His master knew nothing, right? He checked to see that his shields were up and turned to leave?

?Padawan, wait one minute,? his master said in a stern tone.

Dex froze. What now?

?Don?t forget to bring a clean pair of underwear and your toothbrush! I know you always forget something,? the Jedi Master said warningly.

?Of course,? Dex mumbled, finally making a quick escape from Master Montal?s room.

I don?t know if I captured Dex?s character too well, give me suggestions if you can.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    "What a coincidence that the two events are on the same date!? Sounds like another Master has an inkling as to his wyaward padawan.

Good post Shada_Dawn!

If in doubt as to the characters, especially the original ones take a look at Calamity Jinn's website where you can find out all sorts of things about the wonderous chararcters created in the threads we've lovingly named the Jemmiah
    Chronicles.

http://www.geocities.com/calamityjinn

23. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Mace sat morosely at a table in the cafeteria. He poked and prodded what the Masters liked to pass off as food as he waited for Qui-Gon to arrive. They were going to meet here and then rendezvous with Dex and the others and then make their escape.

He had been given permission to go as his Master was attending a gathering at Master Yoda?s. Now that he had time to think about he almost wished his Master had said no. Then he wouldn?t have to go and the others couldn?t call him a fraidy-nerf. But he couldn?t back out now, Dex and Qui-Gon would never let him hear the end of it, after all, he had dared them.

He was sure they would find a way to get them all in trouble, particularly Dex. He was always getting Mace in trouble, tarnishing his reputation. And inevitably, whatever happened the Force (or Dex, he was convinced) made sure Mace was thoroughly embarrassed.

<But not this time!> Mace thought with new resolve. There was no way he was going to let an old building scare him.

?Come on, Gilda!? Vernice said to her older friend.

?Hang on!? came to strangled reply. Vernice furrowed her brow wondering what on Coruscant her friend was doing.

The door to Gilda?s room swished open and the young girl came out carrying a small bag, stuffed full to the seams.

?What?s that?? Vernice asked, looking at the bulging bag.

?Just some stuff we?ll need, flashlights, snacks,? Gilda replied, hefting the bag over her shoulder.

?I thought Dex was doing that,? said Vernice as they walked out into he corridor.

Gilda stopped and gave a skeptical look. They both giggled and continued on their way to meet the others.

Sniffing slightly, Sal-Fina surveyed what she had laid out on her bed to pack. A clean set of tunics, her hair brush and bands, her pillow, her pajamas, an immaculate looking teddy-bear, and several varieties of snacks, not to mention several other essential items. Gathering up the snacks she put them in the very bottom of her bag; the others could eat their own. Next she packed her bear; she didn?t want the others to think she was a baby.

Packing the last of her things, she picked up her pillow and prepared to head out and meet the others. Pausing in the doorway she had the nagging feeling she had forgotten something. A blanket! Setting down her things she went over to the linen cupboard and looked for something appropriate. She wrinkled her nose at the drab looking blankets. There was no way she was going to take one of them! But she certainly wasn?t going to share with the others!
    Reluctantly she grabbed the newest blanket from the bottom of the pile, picking off a few pieces of fluff. It would have to do.

Grabbing her other things, Sal-Fina set out to meet the others. Already she was late to meet them, but she wasn?t really worried. Of course they would wait for her to show up.

I hope this fits, if not, ignore it. I wasn't sure who was apprenticed yet etc, so I just glossed over that. :)

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    wonderful posts! :D

25. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    "Immaculate looking Teddy Bear!" LOL Imzadi!

Shada Dawn, that was a great effort for a first timer. We are happy to have you with us :) If you want to check out the characters at all if you are wondering about them you (and anyone else for that matter) could follow the link that Leona kindly provided. My sisters website holds a lot of the stories, snapshots etc that th writers on 'the Jemmiah Chronicles' have worked on and is a good source of material.

Hope you have fun writing with us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.