main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Dexter Jettster...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Apr 12, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Dex fleshes out Obi-Wan and is the most interesting, funny, charming way that mystery-plot-info could be delivered.

And Dex is basically a mythical basilisk.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me, I like Dex, his diner and that he is an old friend with Obi-Wan

3. Cautious Optimist

Cautious Optimist Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2013
    Too bad we never saw his home planet in the Clone Wars cartoon.

4. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    This scene is my favorite in AOTC, and Dexter has been become my favorite secondary character in the prequel trilogy. I absolutely love him. His introduction was clear, it was brilliant to see another side of Obi-Wan, getting inside a clean diner instead of a "trashy" cantina offered a new angle on the universe. I adored everything about it, it was cute, well-intentioned and fun.

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It is what it is, but I don't think it reaches the heights of the best of SW. Sure it's a homage to American Graffiti and makes the galaxy far, far away quite familiar, but I tend to agree with the negative posters in this thread. Dexter's fine as a character, but the scene is too easy and awkward. It doesn't have any of the natural qualities you see, like in the Cantina in ANH. Anything in the scene that approaches humor isn't very funny and there's nothing cute about the dialogue or the character. I think the Jawa juice reference is awful. It's too familiar and violates our understanding of the vastness of this galaxy. Jawas make juice on Tatooine and ship it, via the Hutts, to Corusacant?...NO! Jawas are a remote species of junk collectors on the Outer Rim, far away from the knowledge of most ordinary citizens in the Core. They're not part of our everyday experience. Like Darth Vader created C-3PO...are you kidding me? You couldn't think of something better? Because of his accent, I always assumed that he was a Protocol Droid who was a liaison to a King, Prince, Queen, Princess...some Royal House or governmental dignitary. Excuse me for deviating, but I think it's part of a general issue I have with the PT. That being said, I can appreciate what people like about it and I appreciate GL. I LOVE Star Wars!

bluecadet3 and Placeholder like this.
  6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The Rancor Keeper was fairly rotund.

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought Dex was a pretty cool character, and I liked the diner and the scene as a whole, which I thought added a nice touch to the film.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand why people didn't like that but for me that was always a great twist. The more sophisticated protocol droid coming from the rough and rugged desert planet while the more blue-collar (no pun intended :p) R2 unit is from royalty. I loved it. Okay, sorry for going off topic. :)

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    When I was in the theater, a guy next to me said "is that a Waffle House?"
    The storyline of tracking down Kamino through that one little saberdart (and from Jango after he used Zam who used the kouhouns) was a little wonky, but within the context of that as it was, I didn't have any problem with Dexster Jettster and the place. One of my favorite things about AOTC is seeing how the commoners lived, which is how we could live there I guess. Where do they eat, where would we eat? How would we be entertained? What would it be like to just live among Jedi walking around? Where would we buy clothes? The diner and the Outlander Club was all enticing, although I wanted to see more humans mixed in there. I also liked the Holonet News site leading up to the release of the movie. The scene also gave us a glimpse of actress Susie Porter.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  10. AntilllesRedTwo

AntilllesRedTwo Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2013
    I liked him. I always thought he should make an appearance in The Clone Wars TV series.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Only on TFN can there be a thread that goes on for 3 pages discussing a character who gets only 2 minutes of screen time.

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Darth Vader only had about nine minutes in ANH...

13. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    I thought the whole diner scene was vomitous and utterly lacking in creativity. Really, 50s pastels and chrome? The robot version of Polly Holiday annoyed me more than fatso four-arms.

I guess we can pretend he's a former mercenary/smuggler who settled down for a legitimate life, that part doesn't bug me so much.

bluecadet3 and darthbarracuda like this.
  14. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    It is interesting that large swaths of the EU are devoted to sweeping up after George's bad storytelling.

bluecadet3 and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  15. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    Uncle Owen wasn't obese but a little heavy. There's the fat dancer girl in Jabba's palace, Dengar looked big-boned, Salacious Crumb had a pot belly, so did Yoda... Good old Porkins was not only fat but his character was named "PORKINS". Then there's overweight Snow Speeder pilot #2 when they find Luke and Han on Hoth. Shall I keep going?

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But waaaay more of a presence.

Dredalus and darthbarracuda like this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]
    I ate the bones!!! I ATE THE BONES!!!

18. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I liked Dex, he's a one off and he's genuinely pleased to see Kenobi, gives him a hug and sits down for a chat like two old friends would. He has a part to play and does it well furthering the story and giving you a few thoughts as how did he and Kenobi originally meet and become the close friends shown in the scene, what adventures did he get up to before he become a diner owner, does he still go off on travels now and again?? I'd rather have Dex further the plot than yet another droid. (Now, do a film using his cgi character design, change the name to Krell, get Temuera involved and do a live action CW Umbaran arc, the best story of the whole 5 seasons of TCW!!)

Valairy Scot and darthbarracuda like this.
  19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Wait a second, what about Porkins?

Anyways, it's good to have a fat person in star wars that doesn't get blown up or choked by a slave!

20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Amen.

21. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    The waitress (obviously influenced by Rosie from The Jetsons) stole the show

"You want a cup of Jawa Juice???"

FRAGWAGON and darthbarracuda like this.
  22. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    The scene and character weren't the highlight of the prequels for me, but I didn't have a problem with it.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well he does after all have an important role somewhat.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, good grief. Apparently some of you want a ten hour movie that explains every teeny tiny detail of every character, background, minor, or major with a shown-on-scene "roadmap" to characterization and motivation. Wait - I think that'll be a 24 hour movie to cram all that in.

A movie covers the important-to-the-story points and highlights - alludes to the rest if necessary. Was ANH ruined because we don't know if Obi-Wan contacted the Lars before showing up with Luke? Or if the Lars knew Anakin was Darth Vader? Or why Owen is so uncomfortable with Obi-Wan that he essentially bans him from Luke's presence? How about in ESB when Han alludes to that business on Ord Mantell? Flavor, folks, not details.

What you call "sweeping up" I call missing moments (personally, love 'em) but I don't find them necessary in the films.

25. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    Of course you miss the crucial point -- the EU sweeps up things that make absolutely NO SENSE in George's films. It doesn't take a 24 hour cut for a movie to make sense and be logically consistent.

Sifo Dyas makes no sense? EU books to the rescue. Mop in aisle 5!

One of the ultimate examples I'll cite is the "Kessel Run in 12 parsecs". A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. But fanbois have contorted themselves to come up with a way that a race can be centered around distance instead of time. And on top of that everyone knows what the shortest distance between two points is, right? That pretty much sums it up.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.