main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Dexter Jettster...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han in ANH: "Without precise calculations you'd fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova."

Implication- you can't just go straight there.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The script makes it clear that Han doesn't know what he's talking about and is just saying something that sounds impressive, and that Ben is well aware of what he's doing.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It simply says "Ben reacts to Han's attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation"- not precisely what the "misinformation" is.

Interestingly, the novel has Han say "12 standard timeparts" instead.

I'm OK with the EU authors providing a explanation that doesn't make Han both a braggart and an idiot (a starship captain not knowing what a parsec is, stretches my suspension of disbelief somewhat).

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    SweetZombieJesus:

We'll have to agree to disagree, then, because I don't miss the "crucial point." Sifo Dyas makes sense to me. Han misspeaking of parsecs makes sense (yes, I have always understood it to be a measure of distance) - I could come up with several possible reasons Han spoke in such terms and in at least one, using parsecs in its correct sense could make Han's statement true.

The reason things "don't make sense" to some, sometimes, is because I swear some are looking for ways for something to "not make sense" rather than using common sense to fill in these "gaps" for themselves.

Star Wars are fantasy space-opera movies and there's really little need except personal perference to try to overanalyze and pick things apart. But have at it if you will.

5. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    The real reason Han said parsecs is because George Lucas was filling in his screenplay with technobabble and he screwed up because he didn't understand the word he chose. Maybe he heard it on "Nova" or something. But we know in the Star Wars universe things work more on magic than on technology and nothing is ever really explained on a feasible technical level. Obviously George is not really versed in real world technology and physics.

Sifo-Dyas was bad storytelling, and/or at very least a dropped storyline that was dangled in front of the audience like a crucial clue and then abandoned. In comes the EU to sweep up George's mess and try to make it make sense.

The fact that we have to turn to in-universe solutions to these problems is precisely what I'm complaining about in the first place. People made George out to be sci-fi God and he wasn't. The prequels underscored it, but the evidence was there in the OT as well.

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, I agree the Sifo-Dyas thing was an unresolved "dangle" and all that, but personally I didn't find "the truth, the entire truth and nothing else" a flaw - ultimately it wasn't important. So the EU "filled in" - unnecessary for me and many others, although fun.

Ultimately unimportant elements =/= bad storytelling. (For many of us. YMMV.)

Iron_lord and FRAGWAGON like this.
  7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I actually like that the Sifo Dyas thing is never explained, at least if you aren't counting EU explanations. The Sith operate in the shadows, and the circumstances surrounding the creation of the clone army being a mystery works in the movie.

As far as the Dexter character and the diner itself, I don't have strong feelings on that one way or the other. Except that whatever Jawa Juice is , it sounds disgusting.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  8. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I would like to see more of Dexter Jettster's backstory expanded on someday. Since any old EU stories about him are now obsolete, I hope he shows up in the Obi-Wan and Anakin comic series or a pre AOTC novel. I wonder if Obi-Wan ever had any adventures with him or if he just liked hanging out in Dex's Diner listening to stories?

9. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    While I'm a big fan of Episode II, I really don't like that scene. It's very out of place... a (relatively) modern American diner in outer space!? It's so weird.

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I actually never minded Dexter or the scene in general that much. Yes Dexter does look a bit fake and a almost modern diner is rather strange in a future galaxy. But the scene only lasts like five minutes so I never really saw what the big deal was.

11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Dexter is awesome.

And holy thread revival.

Pensivia and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Neither Dex nor Jar Jar revere the Jedi. In the absence of the everyman smartass character like Han Solo someone else has to fill that role on occasion. It's also nice to see a guy who's not a Jedi or Senator or part of their entourage. Just a regular person going about his daily business.

Tonyg, GrimdarkRose and FRAGWAGON like this.
  13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I LOVE DEX. Haters suck it.

KenW likes this.
  14. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    He's great. Great voice and great rapport with Obiwan

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. Ron Falk sells that scene.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

KenW, Pensivia and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    NECRO THREAD!!!! My chance to complain about that scene!

First, the good. I LOVE the idea of Dex and his diner. I think the voice actor (Falk is it?) did an outstanding job. I love that it implies that Kenobi has some underworld connections, and can use them when other avenues fail him.

Now... what DOESN'T work. Dex. Or rather the CGI of Dex. FAKE FAKE FAKE. It's Watto level bad to me. Blech. The setting. I like the idea of a diner. But a 30-40's era diner lifted almost wholesale? I found it a bit jarring. But even that, I could live with. It's the gawdawful waitress droid that drives me nuts. Lucas just can't seem to resist getting too cutesy.

OTOH, I really liked the night club scene, I thought that was almost pitch-perfect.

17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Falk was not just the voice actor.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

18. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    My only regret is that Dex's role wasn't expanded. Love the character. Could have made a great alien sidekick.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I loved Dex. The CGI has aged pretty badly but i still love the character. Great voice and interesting personality.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How does a real besalisk looks like?

21. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Not like smeared digital textures. Just sayin....

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, like what...?

23. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

I'm just saying that for ME, Dexter was not a successful digital character. The textures used on him stretch and smear in some pretty obvious ways. If you like him, knock yourself out. I like the character, I just think the execution was sub-par, even by AOTC standards. For me AOTC is the successful of the PT from a visual stand point, though TPM gives it a run for its money. I think ROTS is much, much better.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And I'm asking why, not wether you (or I) like him or not.

25. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Thought I just said so..... blurry and smeared textures, that stretched in odd ways when he moved. Not a great implementation.