main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS DH Comics to release 'The Star Wars' in September

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Nub, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This is gonna mess up cannon SO HARD!

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's what some people have been arguing since the Special Editions. :p

But unlike that kettle of gooberfish, nothing will be getting messed up by this.

Dark Horse is no stranger to non-canon "alternate" stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Not sure how the SE messed up cannon (except maybe the "shot first" argument, but that doesn't change the history as a whole)

I guess if they make it clear that its non cannon (like Star Wars Infinities and Star Wars Tales) then it should be fine.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Off the top of my head, canon was slightly altered by the new conversation between Vader & Palps in ESB (depends on your point of view - it seems to suggest that Vader doesn't know Luke is his son previously, but personally I think he's just playing dumb so Palps doesn't know he's plotting behind his back), and, of course, replacing Sebastian Shaw's Force Ghost with Hayden Christensen.

There's no way in hell this new series is going to be attempted to be integrated into the SW canon, unless they do it as a sort of in-universe fictional story or recollection. I'd be more inclined to think they'll include some sort of introduction so that readers know what they're looking at.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm going to have to look up that ESB conversation, cause I haven't heard the O-O-riginal. Don't think the Hayden/Shaw thing changed the cannon so much as the aesthetics.

6. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I hope this will be a great swan song for Dark Horse Star Wars Comics. The art looks great, that alone demands at least a look through.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This is obviously non-canon.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Just a quick question to anyone who has read the 1974 script: Are the Whills referenced at all in it?

9. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    No, not at all - the 'Whills' crop up first in the Second Draft, solely in this little bit of text at the start (which also appears in the prelude of the 1976 novelisation):

The same text appears in the same way in the Third Draft:

In these two drafts, it's the equivalent of 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...'

The revised fourth draft (the shooting script) does reference them solely in the title:

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Ahh, thank you very much. I actually have the novelization you mentioned. Very interesting stuff, especially when you tale into consideration just how much it reflects the Prequel Trilogy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm starting to realize I hate the term "canon."

bstnsx704 likes this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    What's funny about that prologue to the 1976 novelisation is that from all accounts and evidence, it seems that until GL sat down in the early 1990s to write the PT, that was about 80-90% of what The Man Responsible For Everything had figured out about the Prequels, apart from Anakin's fall to the Dark Side.
    While all of us fanboys spent 1983-1999 trying to figure out what would happen in Episodes I-III from what little bits and pieces had been revealed during the OT era, George Lucas himself was doing exactly the same thing from about 1992, largely based on the same stuff we already had available.

Join the club. Send me your credit card details and I'll send you a badge, a ring with a whistle on it, and a certificate. A monthly newsletter is in the works.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    We must take into account that he only had guidelines for what happened before ANH. Not full, detailed scripts.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They've already done something somewhat like that "in-universe fictional story"-Luke Skywalker And The Shadows Of Mindor, and the various holofilms mentioned in it, like Luke Skywalker And The Jedi's Revenge...which actually sort of tilted my previous thoughts about what the Empire thought about Luke completely on it's head :p

15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol are we supposed to blow the whistle every time someone takes continuity too seriously and forgets these are stories? 'cause if so we're all gonna go deaf.

CC info's in the mail, along with my SSN.

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, I think Splinter of the Mind's Eye is generally regarded along the same lines in the EU circles - this number is most likely going to be presented completely differently. I doubt they'll even stick an Infinities label on it - I can picture it being deliberately marketed to the hardcore fans, with the idea that the casuals will want to get in on the serious action and buy it anyway out of curiosity.

Still buying issues #1-8 the weeks they're released, regardless, but I'd really like to see this endeavour done well and leading to similar projects in the future. The real dream would be all these early drafts covered in a documentary series with the scripts themselves realised in animation and some live action, but comic books are probably the best we can hope for right now.

Maybe in 2020 we can expect to see:

[​IMG]

"Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such cinematic documentary recreations as 'Lucy Mancini: The Godmother Who Had Waaaayyyy Too Much To Give', and 'What the Hell Happened to Short Round?' Tonight, we'll be investigating the earlier versions of the Star Wars Saga, where I'll be portraying my own father at the same time I'm fighting him for killing my brother, making love to my daughter, and then telling her she's my sister! It's a wacky adventure from start to finish, and I still haven't got a clue what's going on. Coming up after this break, presented by our sponsor Laramie Cigarettes, who finally proved that lung cancer is caused by eating tofu, not smoking."

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Heh heh...Phil Hartman was such gold.

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    :(

He was. The show never really recovered from the loss of that particular 'guest star'.

R.I.P.

DarthBoba and Son of a Bith like this.
  19. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Darth Nub: Few will understand that Godfather reference, but I do, and I love it.

20. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Brilliant reference, I had a right good laugh at that...

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Just found out Dark Horse released a 2 page preview with their May the 4th 'Bundles' (no longer available), here's an image from wired.com of General Luke Skywalker:

[​IMG]

George Lucas + Han Solo + OT-era Imperial officer + spaghetti-western jacket, perhaps?

The preview's worth getting a hold of ([face_whistling]) , the Palace of Lite on planet Aquilae looks like Jabba's Palace, and Leia looks like a combination of Carrie Fisher & Natalie Portman aged 14. Story-wise it's pretty incoherent, I think it might be the last two pages of issue #1.

bstnsx704 and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  22. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Are his eyes blue?

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Um, I think so...

Anyhoo, here's an interview with Rinzler for Comic Book Resources with a few more details:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44834

Some more pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Those some great ships designs. The second one looks like a mix between a Star destroyer and the Vulcan ships from ENT.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh my God...those are just gorgeous. Best art I've seen out of Dark Horse, TBH.

I do hope they don't tag it with the 'Infinities' title...I hated those :p