main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I read an article on TIME earlier about how it's basically a chapter-by-chapter guide, with animation similar to Rowling's site, where you read more backstory info, each "scene" you can focus on people/stuff in the backgrround or foreground or in the middle (with them un-blurring into focus as you move between those levels) to learn more information, you can pick up items and make choices and interact with other real people. Also, you have to explore enough of a previous scene in order to keep moving on through the chapters. That's all I've heard so far.

It sounds like it will be entertaining to Harry Potter fans, and those who want to enjoy a visual guide to the books as they read through them, but it's probably not going to create new fans (or contain much "action" in this format, it's not a video game like WoW or TOR). I'm still looking forward to it! :D

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Honestly, it seemed a bit empty. I finished the whole thing in a few hours. I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't more JKR-written stuff than there turned out to be. I hope they add stuff as the beta goes along, or something.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Did you go all the way to the last chapter?

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So I?ve been going back through the thread and having a good time reading some of the fan reaction and speculation. LOL at all the Ewan McGregor/Christian Bale casting stuff :p However, that sparked the idea to check out notstarring.com, and I found out some fascinating tidbits:

Dumbledore I
    [image=http://www.moviemarket.com/library/photos/221/221708.jpg]
    Patrick McGoohan turned down the role for health reasons.

Severus Snape
    [image=http://blog.wishray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tim-roth-as-dr-cal-lightman-in-lie-to-me.jpg]
    Tim Roth turned down the role to work with Tim Burton on Planet of the Apes.

Prof. Quirrell
    [image=http://hollywoodjesus.com/movie/harry_potter_prisoner/60.jpg]
    Rejected. We know how that turned out :p

Dumbledore II
    [image=http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/08/07/peterotoole460.jpg]
    Peter O?Toole said no out of respect for his friend, Sir Richard Harris

[image=http://www.mckellen.com/images/0857.jpg]
    ?no moar wizzerdz plz. kthx?

[image=http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23600000/Saruman-villains-23624791-500-360.jpg]
    Remember all that ?Dumbledore = the eebil? speculation? Talk about fuel for the fire!

Professor Trelawney
    [image=http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2008/05/tilda-caspian/tilda-swinton-prince-caspian-nyc-11.jpg]
    Tilda Swinton turned it down.

Bellatrix LeStrange
    [image=http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/21700000/Narcissa-Malfoy-DH-narcissa-malfoy-21703764-758-578.png]
    Helen McCrory was originally cast, but had to drop out due to pregnancy. Again, that turned out pretty well?

5. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    Very interesting stuff. Roth as Snape would've been immensely different. Roth is a master actor and he is really, really good at playing the greasy but potentially good anti-hero with an attitude problem (Mr. Orange), which as we all know is the core of Snape's book character, but Roth's Snape would've been unrecognizably different than Alan Rickman's great performance. I find it hard to think Roth would've been better.

Sir Peter IMHO, was the ideal choice to portray the Dumbledore as we knew him in the books and I am still puzzled as to why WB didn't approach him first before Richard Harris. To me, O'Toole was and still is the greatest living actor on the planet. O'Toole's acting abilities are more than capable of portraying book Dumbledore's tenderness, compassionate master/sage/teacher/father/parent side, occasional sillyness and immense power hidden barely under the surface. (And it would've been hilarious for me to see the same guy who played Tiberius from Caligula playing a beloved childhood literature character LMAO).

One rumor I heard a while back that I wish would've been true was the casting of Liam Neeson as Scrimgour. But considering how small Bill Nighy's role turned out to be in DH Part I I would've been disappointed at how little we wouldve seen Neeson. I would have LOVED to have seen Ralph Feinnes Voldemort and Neeson's Scrimgour duel right before the Ministry fell. That would have been freakin' awesome.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, how's Pottermore going?

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, after a summer of driving 3 hours every day and finally getting the chance to listen to the audiobooks, then watching all the films, I got to my goal of seeing DH 2 in theatres last night. I'd been meaning to read these books for about, oh, 15 years or so :p Always knew I'd adore them and become a huge fan whenever I got around to reading them. Not disappointed on that account. Like I needed something else to obsess over :p

It's really interesting having read them all in a vacuum. I knew some spoilers along the way, unfortunately, but most of it was a surprise to me. And now I'm slowly diving in and interested to laugh at the fan theories I would never have thought of. Definitely should read this thread ;)

By the way, my favorite characters are Remus, Sirius, Snape... damn you Rowling [face_plain] It was great writing, but damn you!

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Fascinating site. Apparently Bruce Boxleitner auditioned for Star Wars for the part of Luke.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You should check out some of the "coulda-been's" for Han or Leia :p

Also, I keep thinking:

[image=http://blog.wishray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tim-roth-as-dr-cal-lightman-in-lie-to-me.jpg]
    Mr. Potter...Our. New. Celebrity.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    100% agree. I left the theater with three different folks at different time that had not read the books and all three said, "What was the deal with the deer at the lake?"

They had no idea why Harry thought the stag was his dad.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    He didn't think that his father was the stag. He thought he saw his father CAST the stag, but it amounts to the same time. Harry's patronus takes the form of a stag out of a desire to have some kind of meaningful connection with his parents.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

The real shame of excluding the stuff about the Marauders from the PoA film isn't that it harms the comprehensibility of the plot (though it does that to a certain degree). It's that it robs the entire film series of this fantastic backstory that really makes us care a lot more about Sirius, Remus, and indeed James (even in memory). All it would take is about a page of dialogue at the end for Remus to explain the map's origin and, therefore, the backstory. I really like PoA for the most part, but I was really frustrated at this exclusion. I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't in there.

It was a perfect moment for Remus to explain the things his friends had done for him in becoming animagi and to lead Harry to realize why his patronus is a Stag. Beautiful stuff in the book. Left out of the film for no apparent reason. Therefore, we never really understand the close friendship those four had, and unfortunately it robs Remus and Sirius in particular of an important connection to Harry (one that accounts for why they're the two people, out of everyone who's died, who appear with his parents when he uses the Resurrection Stone).

-sj loves kevin spacey

PirateofRohan likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This is sort of related. :p That post on the Marauders just reminded me of one of my initial reactions of reading The Prince's Tale in Deathly Hallows. I remember reading that chapter... reading about how Snape and Lily were friends, how she met James and Sirius, seeing Lupin as well as Pettigrew, Snape's meetings with Dumbledore... then it struck me. All of the characters we're reading about in that chapter, who were all born less than 40 years ago, are now dead. Well, Dumbledore was older than 40, and Aunt Petunia was in the memories and she was still alive, but yeah... all those characters we're reading about, as 11-year-olds meeting each other for the first time, have met untimely deaths before they reached the age of 40. For James and Lily, when they were only 21, that was a big shocker for me in the Godric's Hollow chapter... Harry's parents were only 21 when they died. We only learn this generation's full story after they've all been killed off. It just added a real weight to that chapter, reading it for the first time, and still does. So tragic.

PirateofRohan likes this.
  14. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Movies 1-7part1 on bluray for only $49.99!
    Pretty amazing deal if you're interested. 24 hours only on amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Years-Part-Blu-ray/dp/B004LRPCQK/ref=br_lf_m_1000720991_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=movies-tv&pf_rd_p=1318672642&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000720991&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=152XAP08BC90MNS8C023

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    why would anyone want 7/8s of a collection.

AND WHY ARENT THEY SELLING PARTS 1 AND 2 TOGETHER IN A NORMAL BOX.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Perfect timing for me. I snagged the Blu-Ray collection today.

Well see, I want the first 7 movies because they are $7 each this way :) I was considering getting like an uber complete ultimate blu-ray collection whenever it comes out... but are the additional special features of the ultimate editions worth hundreds more dollars? Uh, no thanks. I will get the ultimate edition of the last film most likely. But this is just too great a deal to pass up.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There's an 8-part set available for pre-order for $90. I couldn't (can't) stand to have a proportionally weird collection like a 1-7 set with a huge DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 at the end. Maybe I need to go to the "give all your stuff" away thread if I'm this ridiculous.

It still bothers me to this day that my OT DVDs are silver and my PT DVDs are gold.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    YES THIS IS WHAT I'M WAITING FOR

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Heh, well I love a good package as much as you (lol), but unfortunately I don't have room in my apartment for all my cases anyway. Those usually wind up stacking up at my parents' house while I put the discs in big 128 CD holders. Of which I have like 5 :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Er, Potterhead here... Bump? [face_whistling]

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Isn't Pottermore supposed to open to the public soon?

And I think DH Part 2's DVD is coming out in a couple weeks.

22. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, it should be opening here to everyone in a few days...

DHP2 comes out on DVD on 11-11-11.

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Anyone willing to discuss the gaping plot holes in the books and the internal inconsistencies of JKR's wizarding world? (I'm afraid reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality make them all rather obvious :p)

For instance:

- Why did the Order go through all the hassle with the plan of Seven Potters, endangering the lives of many, when Mad-Eye could just smuggle Harry under Harry's Invisibility Cloak outside of the boundaries of the protective charm and then do the Side-along Disapparition while still under the Invisibility Cloak?

- How come Harry never had Muggle money, when clearly Gringotts exchanges wizarding money for Muggle money (as seen in COS)?

24. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If I was being cynical, I'd say the plan of the seven-Potters came about because Rowling was beginning to think 'cinematically' rather than logically. :p

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That makes perfect sense and is therefore irritating. :p