main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, you can make that arguement, but its alot easier to convince a director to commit to making three films back to back as opposed to eight. I also feel that the fact that they were able to assemble and keep the entire cast, with the expection of Richard Harris, together for all eight films, goes along way toward establshing a sense of continuance and helps to counterbalance the stylistic differences and inconsistences in story-telling that occured from one film to the next.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am watching the Potter film marathon on the Family Channel right now. Goblet Of Fire is on which is the first Potter film that made me think, "I really like this."

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If I was going to buy a box set of the HP movies (and I'm not) I would wait until there was one with a fancy 'box'.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    PJ spent 7 or 8 years working on the LOTR films - the HP films' production spans across 10 or 11 years. Not that big of a difference.

The main problem is that they started making the HP films too soon, before the book series was even finished - so it wasn't as ingrained in people's hearts as LOTR is, so you couldn't expect that level of dedication like the one of the cast and crew of LOTR.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    In making the movies so soon, their logic was probably to capitalise on the popularity of the stories now rather than wait until enough time has passed to get a good perspective on them, and thus produce a great adaptations. I know the Potter books are and were insanely popular and so a film series ten years from now would certainly make shed loads of cash, but it's perhaps unlikely that they would make as much as they did hot off the back of the books. Eye of the storm, and all that jazz.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    FYI, Lego Harry Potter years 5-7 is just as amazing as the first one, if not more.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I still keep meaning to buy the first HP Lego game! :p

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I think you can make an argument that they should have waited until more of the series had been written before adapting the books, but having said that however, aside from some minor mistseps, like not fleshing out the backstory of the Marauders and Bellatrix burning down the Burrow, what we ended up with was damn near flawless. IMO Warner Bros. is to be applauded. The completion of Harry Potter is a tremendous accomplishment.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Getting from start to finish with the same cast and creative team is to be applauded, yeah.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    *choke* Flawless??? Clearly you and I have a very different view on the definition of the word. I wouldn't even call the LOTR trilogy "flawless", because it has flaws, but as an adaptation that's true to its source in its heart and spirit, LOTR is several leagues above HP. Films 4, 5 and 6 were a jumbled mess of scenes and sequences, haphazardly thrown together, while films 7.1 and 7.2 fell completely flat with their attempt to slavishly copy the text of the book.

Yeah, no. I'm still waiting for a proper adaptation of the HP series.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I think overall the Potter films have been well adapted and stayed very faithful to their source material.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I guess we agree to disagree. But the first words that springs to my mind when thinking about the HP films is "wasted potential". *shrug*

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Quite.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You are both in for a long wait then....

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I know. I don't expect there to be another proper crack at the franchise (TV or movie) for maybe 20 years?

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    15 years, at least.

19. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    [image=http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltfr45ujml1r4yo2zo1_500.png]

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    LOL, but I have a better choice for future Snape: Benedict Cumberbatch. And as a bonus, he can even do the Rickman voice! :p

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just posted this in the temporary boards, but has anyone explored Chamber of Secrets chapters on Pottermore yet?

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I'm not a HP fan, but I enjoy (most of) the lego games, even the Harry Potter ones. In fact, I started playing 1-4 again last week.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I fully plan on making the books into a television series in about 20 years, Game of Thrones style with a book or so per season. Just thought I'd let you guys know that so you can start looking forward to it :p

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Benedict Cumberbatch as Snape or Dumbledore?