main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked that the battle was extended in the movie but the merging together thing was dumb. Wish it had ended in the Great Hall as well.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think the movie put too much of a focus on Harry and Voldemort's last fight.

In the book, it's clear in the King's Cross chapter that Voldemort has already lost. Voldemort's thematic purpose in the books has also expired as of the King's Cross chapter (the fear of death has been mastered), and Rowling just had to kill him off to tie up loose strings. Their last "fight" was not the climax of the book or the series, it was Harry walking into the forest.

Rew likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The battle between Harry and Voldemort in the book would not have worked in the film, since it's proven that Voldemort is more of action first in the movies, i preferred the duel in the movie and i didn't mind the merging thing, cause we saw that in Part 1 as well.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What works great in a book doesn't work best for a movie. The casual fans might not get the significance of Harry walking into the Forest or expect an incredible duel between Harry and Voldemort. The confrontation in the GH works in the book it works but might not work in a movie.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It would have worked fine in the film, it was very cinematic. The makers just wanted more action.

And Harry and Voldemort didn't "merge," they just spun around that fast.

It would have worked well, it would have been more emotionally satisfying.

And if the casual fan doesn't get the significance of Harry walking into the forest then they're no fan. Seriously.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Too bad there won't be anymore movies or books, which sucks

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If Lucas can make a Sequel Trilogy, JK Rowling can write more books in the Potterverse, in 10-30 years :p (They just wouldn't be Harry Potter books... but an Al Potter trilogy? Definitely possible). And we are getting a little more information in Pottermore, I haven't done CoS or PoA yet but I loved the background info for Professor McGonagall and her tragic love life, very unexpected and interesting.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That site is soo slow for me lol :p

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Oh dear oh dear it's here! BRB, going back to Hogwarts.

Let there be Snape and Dumbledore.[face_praying]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Found a major spelling mistake on the back of my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban book

it says

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone has all the dramatic flair a reader of any age could want" [face_laugh] that is funny

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's more of a factual mistake rather than spelling... :p

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    IMO it would have. Don't forget that Voldemort is taking down people as he's being pushed in the hall, and also ends up fighting 3 Wizards at one time in the hall. Which to me that scene being left out was unforgiveable. In other words the audience is seeing Voldemort in action, and are seeing how powerful a Wizard he is. The audience has also already seen him and Harry have their little tug of war of spells in Goblet of Fire. so other than that the fight was mostly just them merging and Voldemort doing stuff to make use of the 3D.

So since we've already seen an epic visual battle with Voldemort fighting, what's wrong with an epic battle of words that ends with a simple spell proving how doomed Voldmort was? Plus we miss out on ending it in the Great Hall which is the most popular visual setting in the films, and books for that matter.

Let me add also that the fight between Molly and Bellatrix was better in the book. Mostly because of the 6 books of build up of Molly as the true mother of the series. She's a very important character.

Bacon164 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I used to really love HP but my love for it was gone down. I do really love Dobby though <3. My favorite book is HBP, it's so good. I really loved the romance between Harry and Ginny. She's one of my favorite characters.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, the book version of the final showdown wasnt nearly as "cinematic," but I wouldve loved it if the writers were able to work in "you never learn, do you Tom" That was pretty epic.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't like what they did with Dumbledore in the movie either.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    He looked too much like Gandalf

I didn't really like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, Richard Harris was sooo much better, R.I.P.

yankee8255 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Too bad Richard Harris looked like he was about to fall over in COS.

Bacon164 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    What annoys me about the final showdown in the film is that when Tom dies, he disintegrates. For me it's always been extraordinarily important that when Tom finally dies he is seen to collapse - well - rather pathetically. His self-appointed majesty utterly stripped away. There, on the floor, is a dead man. Nothing more, nothing less. I think people needed to see that. Plus, if anyone whose life Tom affected (which is most people) wanted to see his body, achieve some catharsis, they could. Instead, the film arses about with a special effect which actually lends his death some majesty he did not deserve.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I actually liked Voldemort's death. It sort of echoes Quirrel's in that they both just kind of crumble into nothing.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, I also liked Voldemort's death in the movie, it shows that he was no longer human when he split his soul into 7 pieces so when he died, he crumbled into pieces

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It also speaks to the transient nature of evil. Something will always come along eventually and sweep it aside.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Voldemort's death was better than Bellatrix's. My lord that was awful

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I must be the only one that liked Bellatrix's death [face_laugh]

Mrs. Weasley used Petrificus Totalus and some exploding spell

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Voldemort crumbling into a thousand pieces was so much better than Bellatrix getting Petrificus Totalused and then exploding was bad, really bad. Threw me out of the movie for a minute.