main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there aren't too many 7+ film series based on books out there so not a lot of precedent to go on.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a big part of what makes Harry Potter such an impressive achievement. No one had attempted anything like it before. The closest comparison was Star Wars and it took George Lucas 30 years to tell his story At one point early on in the development process they talked about combining the first three books. It was Chris Columbus who convinced the studio to adapt each novel separately. Early on Warner Brothers was publicly cautious about adapting all seven books, obviously concerned that the franchise would run out of steam after three or four films, but that was always the intention, and the cast, the crew and the studio knew from the get-go that they were committing themselves to a story that would potentially take 14 hours or more to tell.

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I wouldn't ask for them to be remade again if the first attempt had been done properly (wait until the original book series is finished before starting the film series; have one director and one creative team committed to all of them so that they're consistent, etc.).

Look at LOTR. Sure, there are many things in the films I'm not happy about, changes I wish they hadn't done (*coughFaramircough*), but as far as I'm concerned, they are THE definitive film adaptation of the book. I don't want them remade, not even 20 or 30 years. Because I can't imagine anyone else playing Gandalf than Sir Ian McKellen, anyone else as Galadriel than Cate Blanchett, anyone else as Saruman than Sir Christopher Lee, anyone else as Aragorn than Viggo Mortensen. And I can't imagine any other country "playing" Middle-earth than New Zealand.

Whereas in HP, there is no cast member I would consider to be the definitive version of their respective character. Maybe Alan Rickman as Snape, but even he was a bit too old when he was cast. Oh, and Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy... =P~ But that's beside the point!

Everton likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Christopher Lee said he wanted to play Gandalf. Also I can't imagine anyone else being Arwen than Liv Tyler. PJ really did a perfect job at cast.

However HP also did a good job, I think Harris is Dumbledore to me, and Ralph is Voldemort.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There were also 5 others that played Voldemort

Frank Dillane - 15 year old in HBP
    Hero Fiennes-Tiffin - 11 year old HBP
    Christian Coulson - 16 year old COS
    Ian Hart - Voiced in PS
    Richard Bremmer - Non-Faced in PS

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i thought all the adult roles were very well cast, though gambon's dumbledore is an understandable point of contention. as for the kids, any future adaptations of harry potter will run into the same potential problem, which is that you have to cast kids who look the part but there's no guarantee that they will mature into good actors.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In SW, these casts are perfect to me
    Mark-Luke
    Harrison-Han
    Peter Cushing-Tarkin
    Ian-Palpatine
    Liam Neeson-Qui Gon
    Christopher Lee-Dooku

Also

Hayden-AotC&RotS Anakin

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, they PLAYED Voldemort, but only Ralph Fiennes ever truly inhabited the character, who he made extremely sinister.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Slowpokeking : You're forgetting that SW is an original thing, it's not an adaptation of a beloved book series. GL could do whatever he wanted. I'm saying the people behind the HP films didn't know and respect and love the original material enough to produce a really good and memorable adaptation. My main complaint is that they simply started filming too soon, before they knew the whole story - but I guess JKR has a big chunk of blame there, caving in to the pressure to sell the film rights...

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Definitely, no one can replace him as the True Voldemort

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think they started in the right time, even LotR movies did a lot of changes to the novel.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Voldemort is amazing but Amon Goeth is Ralph's best villain.

I REALLY hope to see him play a villain, either a Sith Lord or someone like Thrawn in SW movie.

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You missed my point. I know LOTR films had a lot of changes, too. But the approach to them was completely different than the approach to HP films. PJ & company were all long-time fans of Tolkien's writings, and this sort of dedication and familiarity really shows in the final product - despite the changes (more or less necessary for an adaptation from book to film). The people behind the HP films didn't, and couldn't, have this sort of dedication for the source material, because it hadn't been around long enough - heck, it wasn't even finished yet! They had no idea which plot points would be important in the later books, and which they could omit or change to suit the film adaptation! Those two, LOTR and HP, simply can't compare (in terms of adaptation, dedication and respect for the source material).

Everton likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The first movie began its production 2-3 years after the first novel came out, enough to read a book well enough. They could also ask JKR for advice if they are not clear with it, JKR is not dumb, she would not to let them begin production if she didn't feel it's right to do so.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. Kudos to the studio for keeping her involved in the process, and for actually listening to her. Its kind of hard to not respect the source material if the author has the power to say "sorry, no, you can't do that," which she did, and used on a number of occasions.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't Rowling one of the producers for all 8 films

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know if she had an Executive Producer credit for all of the films, but she did for the later ones, and there were clauses in her contract that gave her a lot of clout. She personally wrote the flashback scene in TPS and she hand picked Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane, while other characters such as Dumbledore and Professor Sprout were explicitly cast on the basis of drawing that she had done for the books..

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That's interesting

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Rowling's original drawings are pretty good, too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, her drawings aren't bad. It would be interesting to see a fully illustrated Harry Potter book based on her drawings.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    EDIT: Double post

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That Dumbledore looks like Christopher Lee.

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [​IMG]

The only casting in HP I was bummed about (but not really) was Sirius Black. I LOVE Gary Oldman, don't get me wrong, but I wanted Rufus Sewell to be Sirius.

Edit: I take that back. Narcissa Malfoy. She's supposed to be younger and prettier than Bellatrix AND COMPLETELY BLONDE.

And honestly, the rest of the casting for Potter is pretty spot on, truthfully. There wasn't really anyone who I thought did a terrible job at their role.

It's also really really hard taking a beloved novel and finding the PERFECT actor for a film adaptation. I have wanted a GOOD Scarlet Pimpernel movie for so long, but I am terrified of who they would cast if it was attempted because I have insanely high standards for that dream project.

25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I loved Sirius in the books but I think Gary Oldman made him into my favorite character overall. Although I think Sirius and Hermione are always in a struggle to be my most favorite...I can't decide between the two!

I love the cast of the films, I just wish we got to see more of certain actors portraying them in the film. I have always been annoyed by the fact the fifth book is the longest yet the shortest film.