Amph Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I can't pick from favorite scenes from Harry Potter. There's just far too many.
  2. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I'm struggling to find a scene in the films that they actually got completely right. I can only think of Hagrid's arrival to that cottage where the Dursleys and Harry were hiding in PS. And Voldemort's rebirth in GOF (not the whole graveyard scene, just the rebirth from the cauldron). But that's pretty much it - everything else was either botched or "meh", or simply okay.
  3. TrandoJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    While the films weren't always accurate the books I still love them. I like how in the films Harry and Hermione seem to have a bigger friendship than Ron and Harry, I do like Ron I just always liked the idea of Harry and Hermione as closer friends even if its just slightly closer.

My favorite book is probably OOTP but POA is definitely my favorite film. I love the style of it.
  4. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Imalda Staunton was fantastic as Umbridge I thought. A little more subtle in the movies than in the books.
    Force Smuggler and TrandoJedi like this.
  5. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Who else thought that Maggie Smith was awesome as Professor McGonagall?
  6. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Maggie Smith is awesome in general.
  7. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Awesome is an understatement.
  8. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Pity she didn't get to tell Peeves that "it unscrews the other way".

And sorry to be a heretic here, but as far as Maggie Smith's roles go, the Dowager Countess of Grantham beats all.
    Rew and Everton like this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Seconded. McGonagall was a great character

This is why I'd like to see an ultimate cut of OOTP In the book, the teachers are doing everything they can to undermine Umbridge, without openly opposing her, including letting Fred and George pretty much run wild, I would have liked to see more of their antics, especially the indoor swamp. :p
    Last edited by Chancellor_Ewok, Apr 9, 2013
  10. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    The background we got for McGonagall on Pottermore just makes her so much more interesting.

Btw, what does everyone think the biggest mysteries/questions left in Harry Potter are? Besides the mundane "what did they do after Voldemort died" questions.
  11. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    And so let's hope that Deathly Hallows Part 2 is released on the 1st of September in 2017. :D

(It will be as if we're seeding Harry's children off to Hogwarts as it's happening!)
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  12. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I think people have already been planning a party in King's Cross Station SINCE 2007 for that day in 2017 :p
    Rew likes this.
  13. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    In addition to those, Evanna Lynch is Luna Lovegood. Even Rowling herself agrees! I couldn't imagine anyone else ever portraying that character.
  14. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Gary Busey? Nicolas Cage?
  15. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    One scene I thought they got right was Harry saving his past self and Sirius from the dementors in the Prisoner of Azkaban film. Other than that, there was a lot the various directors and screenwriters got wrong.
  16. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Would be awesome to have a Hippogriff as a pet
  17. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Are you kidding? They completely messed up Harry's Patronus in that scene!
  18. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    There's a couple scenes that aren't in the books that I thought were absolutely wonderful.

My top pick is Slughorn telling Harry the backstory on his fish Francis.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    What they messed up in POA was not giving us the full backstory of the Marauders. The scene with Harry's Patronus, while not EXACTLY like in the book was actually well executed, but the fact that Harry's Patronus is a stag is important because, in a way Harry is channelling James' spirit. Its also important because Sirius, Lupin and Wormtail will all be dead by the end of the series.
  20. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    But Wormtail never dies in the movies.
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah what were they going to do with Wormtail exactly?
  22. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I thought they were going to have him and Lupin kill each other during the Battle of Hogwarts, but that never happened.
    Miana Kenobi likes this.
  23. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    From the Harry Potter Wiki

"In the film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pettigrew is not killed by his hand. He is stunned (or possibly killed) by Dobby in the Skirmish at Malfoy Manor in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and is not mentioned in Part 2 aside from the flashbacks from the earlier films. His absence suggests that either Dobby's attack killed him or Voldemort did so upon arrival at Malfoy Manor, or at the beginning of Part 2 after the Gringotts scene."
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Oh so it's the classic lame off-screen death gimmick.:rolleyes:
    Bacon164 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  25. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    I think Yates said that Pettigrew's death in the book was too gruesome so that's why his death wasn't shown in the film
    Last edited by Darth Vader, Apr 11, 2013