main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    CoS was my least favorite HP novel mainly because too much Dobby and Lockhart.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked COS because of Dobby and Lockhart.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Oh I say we are grand aren't we? No buttered scones for me mate, I'm off to play the grand piano!"
    Monty Python reference.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay...... Lockhart isn't my most favorite character ever but he is pretty entertaining. Dobby otoh I like a lot.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Dobby was only in 3 chapters out of all 18 chapters [face_laugh]

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    4. Not that we know who or what he was in the 1st chapter.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lockhart was the only HP character that was directly modeled after someone Rowling knows. And she said the guy would never figure it out, because he probably thinks Dumbledore is modeled after him.

I've known a few Lockharts in my time so yeah, I enjoyed reading him, even when he got on my nerves. Made it so much sweeter when he got his in the end.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't think that that's true. I think she's gone on record as saying that Ron is also modeled after somebody she knows.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I read the quote years ago and I'll have to see if I can find the source. The rest of it was that some of the other characters, including Ron, were modeled to a point after people she knew, but Lockhart was the only one directly modeled as such.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Lockhart's fate in COS was perfect. I also liked his appearance in OOTP. That was needed.
    I remember Rowling saying Lockhart was modeled completely after someone she knew as well.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh yeah, he was looking thru the bushes at Harry

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Chamber of Secrets is my least favourite novel in the series (though I still enjoy it - just that I like all the others better :p). It takes nearly 40% of the story until the plot actually gets moving (the discovery of Mrs Norris and the writing in blood on the wall), Lockhart for all his build-up doesn't really play that big a role in the end (and aside from a cameo in the 5th novel doesn't even appear again in the rest of the series) and St Nick's Death Day chapter is probably the most pointless chapter Rowling ever wrote (though I suppose it's nice if you like to find out about the eating habits of ghosts :D). Rowling herself admitted she was scared-stiff of being a one-hit wonder so she ended up playing it ultra safe writing this one, following a similar format as the 1st book but where it worked there in setting up the magical world in this novel it just drags out for too long IMHO.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    COS felt just as original to me as the first one.
    I liked that Rowling didn't make Lockhart out to be important.
    Can you imagine the publicity he would get if he did save the day?
    No. He got what he deserved. Rowling went against expectations with her characters. Pettigrew was killed in DH without him helping Harry. Snape didn't make any overt attempt to help Harry defeat Voldemort and was dying before he could talk to him. The DeathDay party was fun. That's the problem with shorter stories is that things need to movie faster. I thought the pace was good. The worst book of the series was Half-Blood Prince.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't like Deathly Hallows much. I call it Harry Potter Goes to Narnia or Harry Potter and the Very Long Camping Trip.

But the end made up for it, starting with Aberforth meeting the trio. And it was a stronger novel than Half-Blood Prince, whose most redeeming factor was Voldemort's background story. It also introduced the whole "Chosen One" crap, which was just...ugh.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked DH because we left Hogwarts for the first time.
    The whole romance subplot of HBP got old real quick. The characters were all way out of character imo. Slughorn and Scrimegour were great additions though.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Slughorn and Scrimegour, but the romance...holy **** it was awful, particularly Harry and Ginny, whose scenes looked like they had been written by an 11-year-old girl. It's the only time I've literally cringed reading romance scenes outside of really bad fan fic.

What's funny as far as DH is one reason I didn't like it is because it wasn't at Hogwarts. Plus I didn't like Dumbledore's back story; I thought his father being anti-Muggle didn't fit, even after what the Muggle kids did to Dumbledore's sister--it made Dumbledore look a little too benevolent under the circumstances, not realistic at all. The only part I liked was Dumbledore being in love with Grindelwald, although that wasn't directly said until Rowling gave an interview later.

I did love Harry making peace with Dudley at the beginning and then at the end, his scene with the ghosts. And the Malfoys' redemption.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Remembering that these started out as kids' books, I think that Snape is a brilliant subversion of the "Scooby Doo Villain" trope.

-Sinister name? Check.
    -Into the Dark Arts?. Check.
    -Dresses sinister? Check.
    -Despises The Hero™ and is a jerk to him and his friends at every opportunity? Check.
    -Has actually been helping the hero the whole time? Wait..wut?

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm convinced that Hermione and Ginny conspired together to break up Cho and Harry in OOTP (I know they wouldn't have lasted anyway but they should have tried) and attempted to get Harry and Ginny together in HBP. It had to happen. Hogwarts wasn't safe. If they went Voldemort would have attacked the school and people would have died. Harry would blame himself .
    Dumbledore's back story was interesting to me. Showed that he knows what he's talking about. He's had experience. Yes I do think he is a meddlesome old coot though. I don't think Dumbledore's dad was anti-muggle. Who wouldn't be pissed if their child was attacked? Albus wanted to control them. How is that benevolent? That was an interesting twist about Grindelwald though.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That was a brilliant twist in SS/PS.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I meant "benevolent" as in I thought he would have had more anti-Muggle sentiment given what happened to his sister. Not that he'd ever be Death-Eater-worthy but he goes out of his way to reach out to Muggles, which seems weird.

The way he handled his family was fairly realistic and did not make him look good though.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Is it true that J.K. Rowling originally intend to kill off Ron ?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not that I've ever heard. I think she originally planned to kill off Arthur Weasley in OOTP, although don't quote me on that.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I know she was debating killing off Arthur Weasley in OOTP and I believe she revealed to Daniel Radcliffe in an interview for the final movie or something that she possibly intended to kill off Ron as well.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The story behind her killing off Sirius was interesting. Apparently her husband found her sobbing right after she wrote it and couldn't figure out WTF was wrong, and he still didn't really "get it" after she explained. He told her something along the lines of "don't kill him off if it upsets you that much".