main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah Hedwig's movie death is one thing I do prefer over the way the books did it.

And it's funny that even JK loves to mess around with the readers sometimes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    So while there's been new HBP moments on Pottermore these past two days, none of them had new material. Except the one today, which discusses JK's thoughts on Potterverse vampires.

3. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Rowling has been answering...certain questions brought up.

http://www.people.com/article/j.k.-rowling-hogwarts-lgbt-students

It's an interesting tidbit, though it does open up some unfortunate circumstances that are liable to get some people pissed off.

I also disagree with those commentors who are saying to leave the Potterverse well enough alone. This fictional universe's potential for ideas has barely been tapped.

4. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Things winding down now, with HBP near the end. Very disappointing because they massively rushed through HBP. Again I hope they fill in things later on.

As far as unlockable moments go, two more. One on Inferi (aka magic zombies), and additional stuff on Malfoy, which is an update on a previous entry. The new stuff it seems focuses more on Draco from OOtp-DH and very brief stuff in regards to his marriage to Astoria Greengrass.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

So the only people who definetively aren't represented at Hogwarts are Wiccans? Interesting. Now I kind of want to see Wiccans and Wizards interact, just to see what that would be like.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Rew likes this.
  7. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    On the Fantastic Beasts front, apparently there was one thing missed back in December. JK released a mysterious tweet that ended up being an anagram of a line in the movie, and it apparently gives a small plot point in that Newt was only supposed to be in New York for a few hours before he moved on.

I'm hoping that the Fantastic Beasts movie will be as different as possible from the previous movies. Despite The Hobbit being about a completely different conflict, it was advertised and played out so much like the LoTR movies they were almost interchangeable.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I usually don't like rereading books, but I'm rereading the series in Spanish cuz my spanish sucks and I need to practice with something. I came to the famous mirror scene in the first one and I TOTALLY didn't remember this part (which wasn't in the movie):

"Professor Dumbledore. Can I ask you something?"

"Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however."

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"

"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

Harry stared.

"One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."

It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful. But then, he thought, as he shoved Scabbers off his pillow, it had been quite a personal question.

:(

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I read both Le Monde and El Mundo to keep up with my languages, although I don't do it as much as I should. Reading Harry Potter in the language would probably be more fun.

Incidentally one of my favorite things to do when I taught middle school French was to show the kids Home Alone every Christmas.

"C'est une gosse. Les gosses sont stupides."

"Harry? Marv? Mon dent d'or...MON DENT D'OR!"

Anyway...that scene. I almost think I like it better without the DH mindset of having a pretty good idea of what Dumbledore saw.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Speaking of Harry Potter... my son and I have been reading all of the books together, and we finished last night. Great stuff. :)

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I want Ronan

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  15. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeaaaah, that is a pretty big plot hole ain't it. And you can't say that the twins had no idea about Pettigrew or the like because, apart from Ron knowing it, their dad was part of the Ministry and the "story" was a huge massive deal because it had both Wizard and Muggle casualties.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    To be fair maybe the Twins believed the map to be the product of flawed/imperfect magic just as Harry did at one point. As far as everyone knew Peter was dead.

That said...I've always wondered if magical items became imperfect/flawed over time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't it obvious? Fred and George were Death Eaters.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    or it's possible that they didn't actually care that much about what their little brother was doing. i got the feeling they used the map when necessary, not to check on people when they were sleeping.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This is all I'd use it for

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They would use it to keep an eye out for teachers, Filch, Prefects, Head students, Mrs. Norris out in the hallways. They might check to make sure Percy was in his room, the closest they might come to finding Peter but might think it is a ghost haunting him or something.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the Room of Doom easter egg in the POA movie.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Deathly Hallows Part 2 was on ABC Family last night, and I noticed a Star Wars parallel. When Malfoy and his goons confront Harry in the Room of Requirement, Ron charges after them, only to be chased back by the Fiendfyre. It was a parallel to Han charging after the Stormtroopers on the Death Star, only to be chased back in return.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

They explicitly stated in the books that they used the Marauder's Map to sneak out of Hogwarts when they wanted go to Hogsmeade or to avoid getting caught when pulling one of their many, many pranks.

BigAl6ft6 and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  24. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Yup....they used it when necessary. On a Harry Potter related subject, has anyone had an HP oops moment??? I had mine yesterday answering a Triva Crack question that I should have known; Prisoner being my favorite book and all. Part of me feels truly ashamed.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005