main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Have em' watch A Serbian Film.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Or don't have them watch A Serbian Film, you know if you don't want them to be scarred for life. :p

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyhoo, that aside, I do want to say, having read all the books and watched the flicks, I honestly don't get the various multiple complaints for the most part how some fans think the Potter movies are unfaithful adaptations of the source. They're pretty gosh-darn close, lifting pretty much the structure and plots verbatim, not really changing (many) of the characters or their arcs, and entire scenes are basically adapted. In fact, I actually think "Order of the Phoenix" is a better movie than the book. that is a long novel, whole lotta byways and highways, the movie really streamlines it to a tighter narrative of the students vs. Umbridge. And Harry's "possession" at the climax I think works better on the film, in the novel it's a tad confusing and disjointed, but it plays really well in the flick and there's the whole Voldemort "You will lose everything" speech behind the Forcefield bit he has.

Sure, some things may fall by the wayside, I don't think watching "Prisoner of Azkaban" that you figure out that the Marauders Map was Harry's dad's, etc. And even I can point out a few things that I miss - I think Chamber of Secrets the novel has a really funny, random part where there's a bunch of Dwarves dressed up like Cupids, one of 'em ends up sitting on a student to read them a Valentine, that would have been fun. And there's a very subtle, funny bit in the OofP novel where when they go into the Ministry of Magic it spits out a button of what the person's business is there ("Harry Potter: Meeting with the Minister"), so when Harry goes and rescues Sirius Black he has a button spat out that says "Harry Potter: Rescue Mission". And, yes, I would have loved if the "Half Blood Prince" adaptation had kept in every single flashback of Voldy instead of just the one. However, those are really minor quibbles, I think the adaptation overall of the films is pretty darn strong. And there's some nifty stuff too added like the attack on the Weasley house by the Death Eaters, or that bit when Harry and Herminoe are dancing in the woods.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    EDIT: Ignore post

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, there are specific reasons why Harry's Patronus takes the form a white stag and the movie doesn't touch on that at all, but all over the Harry Potter are really, really impressive. I kind of wish that the Academy still gave out special achievement Oscars, because I thought the Harry Potter films as a franchise totally deserved one.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The newspaper transitions were a nice touch in OOTP. The badge thing would have been awesome.
    Finding out that the Marauders were James and company or whatever that was cut would have been appreciated.
    The scene with Harry at the start of HBP movie was not needed.
    Never really cared for the changing Dobby with Neville thing. It works but it is annoying.
    Would have liked to see the Dwarves scenes in the COS movie.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dawww, I love Harry's opening scene in Half Blood Prince. He's actually trying to do, like, normal people stuff like kinda make googly eyes at a pretty waitress but the freakin' Wizard guy shows up from behind a subway, magically, randomly. It also kinda works since you see how Dumbledore does die in that film (Spoiler: Snape kills Dumbledore!) so he's sort of randomly appearing like a grim spectre. Also when Harry sees Dumbledore in that train station afterlife thingie in Deathly Hallows part II, it's good foreshadowing of that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    HBP had the best cinematography of them all. And god, Jim Broadbent's monologue in Hagrid's hut...just...watch it.

Rew, Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    There are some beautifully composed shots all of the David Yates films, I'm really pleased that he is going to be directing Fantastic Beasts.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He is? I didn't know that.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Link

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I'm very happy Yates is back. The way I see it, Columbus did a fantastic job with the casting but Cuaron's "Prisoner of Azkban" defined the visual tone of the series. Newell and Yates kept to that but Yates added a lot of little flourishes, if not as grandiose as Cuaron's movies but a bit of a gritty, small, lived in "real world" beats. For some reason when I think of Yates' flicks, I think of Malofy kicking a stunned Harry in the face. Very mean and shot rather well. Also the one shot of Harry and Ron silently having a tug of war over the last textbook, that was awesome.

13. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Time for some 'MURICA discussion from JK Rowling in relation to Fantastic Beasts.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-K-...g-School-Revealed-Fantastic-Beasts-71881.html

And possibly the first retcon. Then again, there wasn't full enough evidence to say that the Salem Institute name-dropped in GoF was the American Wizarding school. But the hints in the tweets do provide some interesting discussion in regards to where it could possibly be located.

But just as a reminder, here's what we know of the USA in the Potterverse so far.
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_of_America

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really hope Rowling scripts all the "Beasts" flicks, it'd make the most sense to have her actually write the extension of the Potter verse if she's not going to do another novel but in a new medium.

15. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    All evidence points to JK being the scribe, since its her universe, her that made the deal with WB, etc.

I think it'll be a while before JK will require additional help. She seems to have fully embraced Harry Potter now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    So maybe she'll eventually give us more Potterverse books with Harry Potter in them? :p

17. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Which I don't mind in the slightest. It would be wonderful to get more books.

But books don't have to be the only source of Potter now.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, somewhat digressive but did anyone read "Casual Vacancy" or watch the TV miniseries? I'm thinking of giving the miniseries a shot, I know it's about small town politics and, to be honest, there was a hellova lot of inter (magical) office politics in the HP series, especially "Order of the Phoenix". I'm guessing that but more sex and cursing and less magic.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

If she had an idea for three seven more Harry Potter films, I'd be OK with that too, :p

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I was vaguely aware that there was a TV project of some kind in the works, but I never heard very much about it. In fact, I honestly wondered if it had been shelved. I did read TCV, however, and I enjoyed it. And yeah, its a total departure from the Potterverse. It took me about 50 pages to get used to her descriptions of boobs and sex and teenage masturbation, I kept closing the book and looking at the cover and thinking "Really? This is a JK Rowling novel?"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not only has the "Casual Vacancy" TV project not be shelved, it done already aired on HBO!

22. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    So I'm thinking that, yeah, America Wizard School is somewhere in New England, and that it was originally jointly established by Native Americans and Immigrant Wizards from Europe.

But then that begs the question of the nature of magic in other countries. Much like Star Wars and the Force, we know of the Jedi and Sith, but not a whole lot on other Force Sects. Could Magic in the Potterverse be the same? All we know of is the utilization of magic in Great Britain, but who's to say that magic in other countries in different continents have their differences? Do they not use the same spells? Are there certain fields of magic that are only studied in certain countries? Does culture play any part?

It's a fascinating discussion and outlook, which makes that one jerk in that link I posted saying that Harry Potter should stay UK only all the more annoying. JK pretty much opened the floodgates of international and worldwide magic with GoF, so saying that only British people use magic is just dumb.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd imagine since all the spells at Hogwarts are Latin-based that other countries use the same spells since Latin is a dead language (unless there's some weird wizarding sect that only speaks in Latin).

It makes you wonder, though, what an American wizardry school would look like. Giant castles are more an English/European thing than an American thing, so maybe a giant mansion aesthetically closer to the X-Mansion than a castle. I guess it depends on when it was established.

For that matter, I wonder if in this world wizards were aware of the Americas before either the Vikings or Christopher Columbus. [face_thinking]

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope they use the "spongify" spell at some point.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That begs an interesting question. Why didn't wizarding Europe colonize the New World in Antiquity or the Middle Ages?