main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i call bs on that tired cliche.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't recall "we can't choose whom we love" applying in this situation anyway.

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015

It's more complex than a simple six-word declaration, but I stand by the observation after 27+ years of amorous entanglements.

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015

I am applying it to Hermione's feelings for Ron. If he were bad for her in some way -- a cheater or a beater, say -- it would be a different story.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm in the middle on that one.

I don't think we can choose who we fall in love with, not fully anyway; we might be able to recognize it happening and stop it in its tracks once we're old enough to recognize it.

We can choose who we enter a relationship with though.

As far as Ron--I liked him when he wasn't being whiny. He wasn't an especially exciting character but he wasn't terrible either, especially in the books when he was less relegated to the sidelines.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for myself i find that love and the act of loving means more when i maintain some degree of agency in the matter. for me, and i won't appeal to how many years of romantic entanglements i've lived through, it sort of cheapens or invalidates the experience to say "i love you because i don't have a choice". the truth is you absolutely do have a choice and it's a crazy, amazing, powerful act of will to choose to love another person.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Love means never ever having to watch Love Story ever.

Jedi with a TARDIS likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're entirely right. Point conceded.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What's wrong with Ron?

Darth Guy likes this.
  10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015

Of course, it "means more" when your volition and decision-making powers support or match your emotional experience. This doesn't undermine the truth value of my observation that feelings of romantic love can and do arise against one's will. What you do with those feelings -- whether you choose to act on them, ignore them, or reject them -- is another question. In Hermione's case, she opted not to ignore or suppress the feelings for any number of reasons, including that Ron is a loyal, honorable friend.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Happy Birthday J.K. Rowling

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    right, she chose to love ron. and could have done so even without any unbidden romantic feelings.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I remember him having stupid moments (haven't read the books since Deathly Hallows came out), but they were more stupid kid/teenager things than any sort of deep character flaws.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ron has issues but Hermione isn't a saint either. Looking at POA Scabbers/Crookshanks and the Firebolt situation.

15. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

Yeah I know where you're coming from...I don't hate Ron, I like his arc and I understand him, but when reading he bothers me sometimes in the ways Anakin doesn't. Maybe because despite his issues he is the most wholesome of the Trio and is oblivious to it. That's how he comes across to me.

While true. I don't think that one line is proof that they were incompatible either.:p Yes H/H shipper due to the books. Their potential was strong in GOF & TOOTP in particular....when Jo admitted that Ron and Hermione were a wish fulfillment I wasn't surprised in the least; when reading, is painfully obvious that she was determined to have the main couples together as they were originally intended. I will say that Hermione/Ron is more believable and organic than Harry/Ginny. My head cannon is that Harry and Hermione didn't get together is because Harry knew of Ron feelings & Hermione knew of Ginny's which makes them even more admirable to me.

Yup. They complement each other, Ron admires her but in the case of Hermione I will quote Jessica Rabbit:

"He makes me laugh."

Nothing really... his flaws make want to punch him in the face at times for reasons explained above.

True but to me Hermione's behavior is justified to a point...Ron on the other hand is not most of the time even when you understand where he's coming from. that's just me anyway.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
  17. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Colin Ferrell?!? Abandon all hope. ;)

18. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Deep, very deep.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In Bruges would like a word with you.

20. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Getting the Hogwarts Collection soon! I can't wait!

Does anyone else have them here? What's the video quality like?

21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dammit. Could do an entire TV series about a not-Hogwarts school (or, even better, Albus Serevus Potter doesn't get his own book or movie series but he gets a TV series!)

23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    If it was the 80's no doubt a HP cartoon would have been one of the classics.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Or an iconic Disney movie.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I can picture it now: Voldemort singing, "Hate is an open door!" :p

TheSilentInfluence likes this.