main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

IMO, they toned down her evilness quite a bit in the movies, at least in Order of the Phoenix. In the movie, she comes across as a pompous, overbearing wanna be dictator. In the book, she was a real nasty piece of work, on the level of Bellatrix Lestrange. While the movies can't include everything, I just felt the movie version was too toned down.

bizzbizz and Dinos4Ever like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So she's even better in the books?

I gotta read those some day.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  3. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

By the time you finish reading them, you'll understand why Harry hates her more than he does Snape.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think you mean I'll understand that Harry knows he deserves to be punished. The movie didn't do a good job of getting that across.

Maybe I know a fellow Dolores fan who would be willing to loan me the books. I'll loan them my copies of the Thrawn Trilogy and Outbound Flight in return.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, for all his good intentions Harry could still be a typical annoying teenager. Dolores may have been overzealous in her methods, but she wasn't wholly unjustified in thinking Harry was a troublemaker.

Also check out Pottermore, CT. Jo wrote an extended entry on Umbridge, filling in a ton of her backstory and offering a lot of insight into her characterisation.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Neither Umbridge nor Snape were completely unjustified in their thinking him as a troublemaker, but their actions or thoughts definitely risked or allowed them to go overboard. To be fair, though, Dumbledore's awarding Gryffindor last minute points in the first book probably didn't help matters. Even Dumbledore had to eat his words about punishing Ron or Harry in Chamber of Secrets, despite their intentions.

So, while Snape was correct in his conversation with Fudge about Harry's actions being overlooked, both he and Umbridge still crossed the line at times (I mean, Snape taking points off Harry because Neville messed up his own potion, by claiming he failed to warn Neville; then two years later, he takes points from Hermione because she was helping Neville).

I think McGonagall was the perfect teacher to keep Harry in line. Although she was strict, and could go overboard (taking 150 points from her own house), her strictness was still balanced out by her humanity, her compassion.

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  7. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    exactly book umbridge is narcissistic evil person who hero worships fudge

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am looking forward to the short story on Professor Pink-****-Everywhere.

She's the English caricature of a passive-aggressive old Southern woman; I half-expected "Bless your heart" instead of "hem hem" in some scenes.

Jedi Merkurian and Dinos4Ever like this.
  9. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    so what was everyone's favourite book?

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

....All of them? :p

Ghost and bizzbizz like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows.

QueenSabe7 and bizzbizz like this.
  12. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    mine would be prisoner of azkaban /goblet of fire or order of the phoenix. least favourite probably the chamber of secrets

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Least fave is HBP.

bizzbizz likes this.
  14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Definitely Goblet

bizzbizz likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix.

Jedi Merkurian and bizzbizz like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

All of them lol

But Deathly Hallows is my favourite in all seriousness

bizzbizz likes this.
  17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I like all the books, but my least favorite of the movies are: Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince. Prisoner of Azkaban just felt too disjointed; it didn't flow well, IMO. Despite cutting out more material, the GOF and OOTP movies flowed better. As for Half Blood Prince, it was almost a snooze fest, with only one real action scene: the attack on the Burrow (which wasn't in the book). They basically cut the skirmish at Hogwarts when Dumbledore is killed. I heard they wanted to save more of the battle for Deathly Hallows Part 2, but that scene could have had a bit more action.

Force Smuggler and bizzbizz like this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Goblet of Fire, though I am a sucker for the first one too.

19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Tie between POA, HBP, and DH.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My least favorite book is the one where Dolores Umbridge first appears - I couldn't stand her.

21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Deathly Hallows narrowly beats out Goblet of Fire.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I liked them all, but if voting I would say The Deathly Hallows. In the case of a tie, the honors go to the big, epic conclusion.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince.

24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    same as pg.

sirius, lupin, dumbledore and snape are probably my favourite adult characters, so that's probably part of it.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    DH,
    GOF,
    OOTP
    SS/COS/POA
    HBP.

Book-wise for me.
    Would say GOF is more fun than DH but DH is the finale, so it tops GOF for me.

Can't pick between SS/COS/POA. Just one continuous story for me.