main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

Edit: I actually got a Piebald Mare.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    What the heck?
    Patronus: Black and White Cat
    House: Slytherin

None of this seems right.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If only "you never learn, do you Tom" could've made it into the movie...

4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Peeves should have made it into one of the movies.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    so many scenes they cut from the books that i wanted to see.

especially the quidditch world cup and veela. the assortment of different wizards from around the world.

also agree on peeves especially in order of the phoenix when fred and george leave hogwarts

SWpants likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The full trailer for Fantastic Beast says that the actions in this movie are paving a pathway to war for Grindelwald in Europe. I was not expecting that! And it sounds like some of his pets will be killed. :(

9. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Going to avoid the trailer like the plague, unless I end up seeing it in theaters. Want to be surprised as much as possible.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I watched the Beasts trailer last night and I heard the name drop and did some research and of course it's the current buzz in the HP world. I didn't realize it was a "super" prequel like 1920s era.

I'm trying to get through all the HP movies before Beasts comes out in theaters with my girlfriend who hasn't viewed any of them before. We have finished the first three and just started Goblet. She's not really into magic so it's been slow going. I hope Goblet turns her around otherwise nothing will I think.

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    There a good possibility that other Harry potter spin offs movies are in the works, I just doubt for now that the cursed child is one of them as well as movies about harry potter himself. But we are getting more movies in both Star Wars and the magical world of Harry potter.

12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    From October 13-20, all eight Harry Potter films will be in select IMAX theaters, with an average of 2-3 shows a day.

I still think it's ironic that Order of the Phoenix, the longest of the books, has the shortest film adaption. I would say it was the shorter film, but I think Deathly Hallows Part 2 is shorter, hence the adaption part.

While I think Imelda Staunton did an excellent job as Umbridge in OOTP, I think they butchered her character a little too much. With the exception of the Blood Quill scene, I got the impression she was nothing more than a cheap, wannabe Minerva McGonagall, with her strictness bordering on silliness (like separating the two students who were kissing, using magic to zap the folded paper bird, then measuring Flitwick). The Umbridge in the book was much more menacing, and a real nasty piece of work. I didn't get that sense from the movie Umbridge, apart from the detention scene.

However, I thought the characterization of Umbridge in Deathly Hallows Part I was spot on. Perhaps it was because she was only in it for a short time, and they did split DH into two movies, so they could take their time with the characters' characterization.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The main theme for Fantastic Beasts is out.

And wow. I'm impressed.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

This. That was epic, especially its incorporation of the Potter theme at the end.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this but the opening theme and most recent trailer is improving the optimism.

16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/776059-fantastic-beasts-now-five-movies#/slide/1]Fantastic[/url] Beasts franchise to be 5 films

OK, I think this is starting to get out of hand. Unless we a new movie every year it's going to take at least a decade before the series is finished. Maybe they're just trying to stall so the actors from the main Harry Potters film will have aged enough that they won't have to recast them for the inevitable Cursed Child movie that we all know is eventually coming.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Rowling is writing all 5 scripts I actually am totally okay with that. (and I do agree with Darth_Hydra this could be a way to keep Potter kicking around as the original actors age into Cursed Child. And they'd also have to probably throw a lot of money at them to do it). She is already writing script #2 so if it's not pawned off on another writer, I'd be cool.

Anyway the series title should be changed to Fantastic Beasts and Where to FIVE them.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems like the story of Grindelwald's rise will be a suplot.

The last Fantastic Beasts movie could very well be in 1945, with us getting to witness the famous battle between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, with the backdrop of World War II and the Holocaust.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This is interesting. I'm ready.

Ghost likes this.
  20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  21. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Five under the Fantastic Beasts saga seems like a little much, but whatevs, all for the expansion of the Potterverse.

22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    In preparation for Fantastic Beasts, select IMAX theaters will show the Harry Potter movies during the next week. Last night I say Sorcerer's Stone and noticed a couple of details I hadn't before: Hagrid's spelling of Happy on the cake, and the lettering on the Leaky Cauldron's sign gradually becoming visible as Harry and Hagrid approach.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was expecting a trilogy... five seems like a lot, but that's obviously without having even seen the first one yet. I just hope that they weren't just arbitrarily aiming for something longer than a trilogy but shorter than the HP series.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've been rewatching all eight of the Potter films over the past week, and I'd forgotten how subtly remarkable they are. Yes, the books are superior because they have time to grow and develop the narrative, characters, and subplots, but the films have one marked advantage: Witnessing the core three characters grow up. Of course, the characters mature in the books too, but see them grow from children to young adults right before your eyes is quietly moving, and is an element that can only be communicated through cinema.

25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    One of the most powerfully emotional moments of the movie series is in Deathly Hallows Part 1 when Bill says Mad-Eye is dead. That may not mean much until you consider the fact that Domnhall (sp?) Gleeson is Bill Weasley, and his father played Mad-Eye.