main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    In Borgin & Burkes, Lucius tells Mr. Borgin about a new Muggle Protection Act and how he suspects Arthur Weasley was behind the bill.

2. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    the harry potter wiki says voldemort gave malfoy the diary for safe keeping and told him only that it opens the chamber of secrets. he had intended to get it into hogwarts and kill mudbloods. but then after killing harry's parents disappeared. malfoy was told to do nothing but protect it unless ordered. but with the ministry raids he wanted rid of it

Some time during the First Wizarding War, Lord Voldemort entrusted the diary to Death Eater, Lucius Malfoy. The plan was to use the diary to reopen the Chamber, but Voldemort fell before that plan came to fruition. However, Malfoy still possessed the diary and, in 1992, he planted it on Ginny Weasley, hoping to kill three birds with one stone by sabotaging Ginny's Father, purge the school of Muggle-borns, and eliminate an incriminating Dark artefact.

Lord Voldemort was unaware that this Horcrux had been destroyed, until he forced the truth out of Lucius Malfoy (who did not know the diary was a Horcrux) shortly after his return to power in June of 1995, due to the portion of the soul being separated from his body for such a long time. Despite the known risks of using the diary as a weapon instead of a safeguard, Voldemort was nevertheless furious to learn of its destruction due to Lucius implementing the plan without Voldemort's say-so, in order to dispose of the diary for his own benefit, in attempting to destroy the Weasley family and Dumbledore's reputation, as well as getting rid of an incriminating Dark Arts artefact (the Ministry was conducting a search at the time); this was one of the many reasons that he lost trust in the Malfoy family and why Lucius was punished and demoted.
    Although Voldemort was unaware of the diary's destruction until Malfoy reported it to him, he attributed this to his non-corporeal status at the time of its loss; as a result, he took no additional precautions to safeguard the remaining Horcruxes, and assumed that they were safe and undamaged until the break-in to Gringotts confirmed that someone else was hunting them.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This part makes no sense to me. He knows a Horcrux was gone but didn't do anything about it? That's stupid.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Egotism is the downfall to many a tyrant.

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    He really thought his other Horcruxes were all safe enough. And this is just another example of Voldemorts arrogance.

Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  6. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    he believes no one knows about the horcrux's. remember he believes he is smarter then everyone else. as for making more im not sure if he could. but yes if he then checked on his other horcrux's other then the one at hogwarts he would realise he was two down. and in that case dumbledore or harry don't get to them

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Still haven't seen it ugh

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Saw Fantastic Beasts and enjoyed it. Visually it was great - loved the 20's New York setting.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah Prohibition-era New York with magic was a fun idea.

10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I just had another thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Swooping Evil itself disarm Grindelwald/Graves? If so, Grindelwald would still have mastery of the Elder Wand, because in Deathly Hallows, Dobby disarmed Bellatrix. Even though Hermione had physical possession of Bellatrix's wand, since she didn't disarm her personally, she couldn't use it as well as Harry could use Draco's wand (since Harry did disarm Draco).

11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    This was my point earlier.

Wand lore doesn't seem affected by magical creatures, so the Wand should still belong to Grindelwald.

Sent from my Who Cares **** You

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The point of that passage is he was UNaware a horcrux, specifically the diary, was gone until book 5 or 6.

The Hallows do not magically stop a person from dying, Dumbledore never believed they did either.

Ever since Harry was made into a horcrux, he had to die in order for Voldemort to die. Dumbledore learned this, didn't like it but accepted it. Though he did hope the blood being used in the rebirth ritual could save Harry, and it did, but it was never a sure thing. You should read the chapter The Forest Again at the end of 7.

Iron_lord and Darth_Voider like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So speaking of the very end

Is poor Kolawski going to keep getting mind-wiped at the end of every movie? Or does his smile, and the designs of his food, indicate that he wasn't fully wiped and seeing his romantic interest sparked his memories again? Cuz I thought he worked fine as an exposition piece, and his walking into the rain scene was fantastic and moving, but they gonna have to keep explaining the whole thing to him again?

Speaking of guesswork as the movie was going, I got a huge Young Voldemort from Creedance the whole movie, even though in the back of my head I knew Tom Riddle wasn't even born yet (and Albus finds him in World War II era) but for some reason I kept thinking there might be a twist or something that he was lil' Voldy. But, nope, he got exploded real good.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well if Jacob leaves for Europe I think they have laxer laws, especially if he marries her.

Voldemort is actually born about a month after this movie ends, on December 31st 1926. He also graduated the year of the 5th/last movie in this series.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Kolwaski and his love for the magical lady is going to be a plot about the American magical community embracing change throughout the series. Something more natural and progressive like with Kolwaski or something violent and manipulative like Grendelwald. So change she is a-comming but they have to find a happy way to do it.

As for Voldy, I think they definitely have to include him in the later flicks, the notion that he graduates Hogwarts just as this series ends (and is already elbow-deep in Dark Magic by that point) is too good not to play up. I wouldn't be surprised if Teenage Tom Riddle and Grendewald have a chat or two at some point in the series future installments.

Anyway, anybody check out the box office totals for Fantastic Beasts? Decent in North America, 163 million so far, but worldwide it seems to be doing way huger than most HP flicks, comparatively to NA take at almost 70% from overseas. Over 500 million so far so that definitely ensures a sequel or two at least.

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's Kowalski.

17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    What I hope happens in the next couple of movies:

Credence's actions left the Second Salemers in disarray, but there are a couple of them. A Muggle from Britain named Tom vows to help them, given that he had his own negative experience with magic. Now, like Mary Lou Barebone, he doesn't pose a significant threat. But if Grindelwald does possess the Sight (ala Trelawney), I could see him confronting Tom and saying his son will grow to be a great wizard, but Tom will never live to see it. He's saved before Grindelwald can kill him, but Newt, Queenie or Tina wipe his memory. As they do, we learn his last name is Riddle.

Now, I know the Fantastic movies won't have a post-credits scene, but if they did, I'd like to see one scene in a London orphanage, where a young boy is being berated for his actions. The matron says, "Tom Marvolo Riddle, listen to me." In response, Riddle gives an evil smirk.[/spoil]

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Cant wait to see it, I Love period pieces,
    I am going to See Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them on Monday, I have a Fandango coupon I got In a new re issue Blu-Ray of the first Harry Potter I got at Wallmart It Is for $8.00 off of my movie Ticket, It was super easy to redeem, I just went to the website they told me to on the insert and put in the promotional code and then print it out. It Is good through Monday the 5th the 5th Is the last day I could use It!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Speaking of Kowalski, did anyone notice that when he first slapped down his proposal for his baker shop to the banker it said "JK's Bakery" or something on it (Jacob Kowalski, J.K. Rowling). When the shope opens up at the end, they dropped the JK. But it's totally there in his preliminary drawing.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    So he's totally a Mary Sue.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Of course he's a Gary Stu, how else do you think he ended up with a suitcase full of solid silver ocamy shells at the end of the movie?

22. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    Refresh for latest Warner Bros’ Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them and Disney’s Moana led the studio wave at the international box office this weekend as they entered their 3rd and 2nd frames, respectively. Newt Scamander and his menagerie plucked up another $60.4M in 67 markets to take the offshore total across the $400M mark to $424.4M. Globally, the Beasts have amassed $608M on their way to $700M+. China leads offshore play at $72.5M with the UK, Germany, France and Italy now claiming the David Yates-helmed pic as WB’s biggest of 2016.
    deadline
    After having amazing drop for thanksgiving wk, it dropped below 60% (58.9%) the wk after thanksgiving with 18.54m which usually has steep drops. FB has the best legs of any potter movies except SS, all hungry games and twilight movies. Legs very close to first potter movie.
    This movie is not close to crushing and burning as some so desperately wish were the case. ;)

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given that it works as an allegory for "anti-miscegenation laws," which were totally a thing in the US all the way up to the late 1960's...

Ghost and Healer_Leona like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Also, JK Rowling already said that America doesn't change its laws about muggles until 1965.

bizzbizz and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    good it deserves all it gets it was well made and acted