main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Diamond Institution: A Preparatory School for Role Playing Excellence

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by LightSide_Apprentice, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 3.2: GAME OPERATION AND MANAGEMENT [Session I][Continued]

Students Present: Kev-Mas_Colcha

Let me explain differently. If you read what I said you'll notice that I stated, after my list of questions, that 'these are all thoughts that you should consider as you work to gain some sight of what it is you're striving toward achieving.' Naturally, you don't have to answer any of them. Or, you can post responses to them all. You're here because you want to be, not because I asked you to be here. What value you gain from anything I can offer is limited only by what you're willing to give and take, and what I'm willing to do, or am capable of.

We'll start with what you've given me to work with. If you're seeking to attract the attention of players at the game's opening, then you're more likely to benefit from a 'class' focused upon game design and creation, but management includes maintaining interest so perhaps it doesn't matter.

If you're referring to A Game of Custom Faction Galaxy Domination - Star Wars - Faction Wars then my first bet as to why you're having trouble attracting attention is because the title is long and the first post is even longer. A lot of people won't even read it for those reasons. What you need is something that they want otherwise you're likely to find that the majority of players will just ignore it, regardless of how great it might be, or how much potential it has.

It seems to me that you already know the problem. If the games you create are too complicated then perhaps you need to make ones that are more simple or straightforward.

2. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Hm. That is something I will take into consideration for my next version, since this one has already gotten at least some interest.

And, yes, I was referring to that one. I will have to take polls in this forum to determine what people actually want. There's an idea... But, I still need to be able to compact all those mechanics into creating the unique ships down into little details. Maybe I could have them come up with their own stats, and I go through an approval process in the PM they send.

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I have been forgotten! :_| :p

Thanks for that link. I will spend a good amount of time looking at that site, for sure. I appreciate the links you have provided. :) I must say, Role-playing for the two years I have been here has greatly improved my writing skills as a whole: grammer, spelling, vocab even. I am so glad I have taken this up because it has spurred an interest in me that I didn't know I had. :)

4. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 3.2: GAME OPERATION AND MANAGEMENT [Session I][Continued]

Students Present: Kev-Mas_Colcha

Getting an idea of what people do and don't like is always a good idea and, ideally, should be done before creating a game. All too often people create games because they think the idea is fun, as opposed to seeking to create a game that others might enjoy. Hopefully you'll be able to find a balance between the two. As you've noted, this is the perfect forum to gain that insight, or knowledge.

Having players create their own ships and stats is certainly not a bad thing. It's very much like character creation. Often players will want custom ships for 'standard' games anyway. Extending that notion to allow for mass produced ships is not too far a stretch of the imagination.

[color=red][b]darth_nemisis[/b], I wouldn't worry. You haven't been forgotten at all ;) For my part I was, and am, to a degree, just waiting for responses before analysing the post that you offered earlier. As to your role playing and writing experiences, however, I'm certain you'll find that a lot of the other members here possess shared experiences that might mirror your own. Role playing is an excellent way to improve one's writing skills, as well as social skills, all while having fun and enjoying a productive activity for recreation.[/color]

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    my apologies. i haven't really been up to anything requiring a huge amount of thought lately.

will attempt a reply by the end of the week.

6. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    Professor Lightside, I'm hoping to enroll in the following class.

1.2 Intermediate Role Playing

7. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.2: INTERMEDIATE ROLE PLAYING [Session I]

Students Present: benkenobi151

An Introduction: Since this class falls between that offered for beginner and advanced role playing, it is designed and intended to bridge the gap between the two. As you might be able to imagine and appreciate, it will cross over and parallel with a lot of the points that might be covered in those other classes. The focus here is to ensure a student learns and understands how to be, or what skills might qualify one as, a decent role player so that they might capably enter and roam the RPF with a basic level of confidence and ability to match.

Some of the most common things that a player will need to display, learn, or present in their posts, to prove their ability and competency level, relate directly to post quality and structure. These things usually include paragraph usage, spelling, and grammar. More to the point they include such things as the use of tags, IC/OOC notation, markup codes and general clarity of presentation.

Can you think of anything else that might qualify or define someone as an intermediate player, or a competent one? There are a number of factors, a lot of them subtle, so I've only listed the first few that have come to mind. If you can think of anything else, feel free to offer your thoughts.

8. EmoJawa

EmoJawa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2006
    It would be great if you could teach on 2.1!

9. benkenobi151

Jul 16, 2005
    Sorry I've been gone, I though this place had died.

I feel some other qualities that determine an intermediate player are:

-Respect: An intermediate player will understand that they must respect the rules, and more importantly, other players. Even if a RPG is getting heated, they must keep their cool and avoid flaming others.

-Character Depth: An intermediate player will know that a good character didn't just appear out of thin air. They have back stories, emotions, a history. A great intermediate player will elaborate on this story throughout an RPG to give depth to their character.

-Post Length: A good intermediate player will know that post length does not directly correspond to post quality, but generally longer posts offer more to the RPG. Instead of just writing "He jumped on the roof to avoid the blaster bolts," they should write something like:

"As Ben approached a wall, he knew he was at a dead end. He turned around, standing there were several hostile troops, all with guns pointed at him. They began to fire. Desperately trying to escape, he mustered all of his meager Force power and jumped on the roof. He was safe, for now."

10. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.2: INTERMEDIATE ROLE PLAYING [Session I][Continued]

I can't help but find your response an excellent one, and very well presented. Any player who manages to incorporate all that you've said into their posting style would be a great player indeed. The degree to which they encompass and reflect those points would probably be a measure of where they stand in the eyes of their peers, and of course, on a general scale of role playing ability and skill.

There is very little I can say to argue or debate your points since I agree with them all. Though, I suppose I should mention how important I believe it is for players not simply to understand these attributes as necessary for good role playing, but to encompass these characteristics in their posting. You're probably only too well aware that the use of these skills in practice is so much more valuable than the simple unapplied knowledge of them alone.

Knowing these things as you do, I'm led to ask the question: where do you feel you could use the most improvement? We all have them, so I'm curious as to yours. Perhaps we can work to strengthen whatever it is that you feel could be better about the way you approach various games and scenarios.

[u][b]CLASS 2.1: GAME CREATION AND IDEAS[/b][/u] [Session I]

Students Present: EmoJawa

[color=purple][b]An Introduction:[/b] As its title suggests, this class focuses heavily on creativity and the generation of ideas. Coming up with an idea is not an incredibly difficult thing for someone who is already creative. For that idea to be a good one, one with vast potential, however, is more difficult to achieve. This class takes these items into account and aims to develop an idea into a game that might be presented here in the Role Playing Forums.[/color]

[color=blue]Before I even begin to offer comments or a lecture, I feel it would be best to start with a goal. What would you like to achieve here? Would you like to learn how ideas are brought to life, and where to find ideas? Or would you like to discover how an idea is shaped into, and presented as, a role playing game? Or do you seek something else entirely? Once you know, or decide, we'll work together to reach that goal.[/color]

11. benkenobi151

Jul 16, 2005
    Thank your for kind compliments, Professor.

I feel that a good role-player will know that they can always learn more. I can always learn more from all those attributes, but I think I'm most lacking in character depth. Looking back on some of my previous characters, it seems like I almost always use the same basic backstory. I'm not a very creative person, but I was wondering if there was a way I could be more diverse in my role-playing.

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.2: INTERMEDIATE ROLE PLAYING [Session I][Continued]

Characterisation and character depth are among the more challenging, and rewarding, aspects of role playing. There's nothing wrong with having similar backstories with the characters you use, just as long as it's not identical each and every time. To help you see that you can be creative, we'll run a brief exercise on character backgrounds.

I want you to think of a character, either a new one, or one that you've already created in another RPG. Try to think of their background, their appearance and attitudes. Once you've done that, I want you to post a character sheet and bio for that character in this thread. And, I want you to think about where the idea for the charcter came from. Was it someone based on a friend? A favourite character in a film? A reflection of some of your own experiences and attributes? We're looking to determine where the idea for this character originated.

13. benkenobi151

Jul 16, 2005
    I'm very sorry, Professor. But it's probably going to take me a few days to finish this task. School's about to start, so I'm getting ready. Sorry, again. I just want to say, I've enjoyed being your student, Professor. I can't wait to come back and continue. :D

14. EmoJawa

May 19, 2006
    I seek how to turn an idea into a roleplaying game

15. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 2.1: GAME CREATION AND IDEAS [Session I][Continued]

Now that we've found a place to begin, getting started will be all the easier. I'd like you to think about the idea you have and how you think you might be able to make it into a game. If you'd like, I would be happy to learn about what your idea is via Private Message, but, for now at least, we'll keep things vague here so as to ensure the idea remains safe.

Some things you may want to take into consideration are a potential background story, or expected storyline, which will unfold as the game progresses. You might want to consider how the game will work, whether it will involve one-on-one interaction between characters, group interaction, or problem solving, or something altogether different.

Perhaps most importantly of all, you'll need to discover whether or not there is an interest in the RPF for a game of this nature. That is, will, or does, your idea appeal to an existing or wide audience? The less people who're likely to join your game the more difficult it will be to get off the ground.

[color=red][b]benkenobi151[/b], I'll be awaiting your return ;) In the meantime, however, you have my best wishes for a positive reentry at school in the other real world :)[/color]

16. EmoJawa

May 19, 2006
    Well I was thinking of a maybe myst styled story but i would need a reason to want to have this found out, like I want this ancient civilization found because, I have been reading books about it but i would like to know more about their technologies so maybe it could help us with our weapon power...

Also it could that there have been rumors of civilizations dissappearing in the outer rim near chiss territory and they have their hands full and asked the republic to check it out., and I want you to figure it out...

Two different styles of problem solving. So i was kind of thinking of basing something like that.

17. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 2.1: GAME CREATION AND IDEAS [Session I][Continued]

It's great to see that you've already decided you want your game to be of Star Wars orientation, and you have a solid idea to begin with. Ancient civilisations are usually pretty interesting, and they manage to attract curious and wandering eyes. I suppose all you need to do from here is choose between the two directions you've established for yourself.

As you probably know, the Chiss are relatively isolated and they seem to like it that way. I'd be very careful about proposing a story where they actually asked for help from the Republic unless the timeline was at some distant point beyond the events of the New Jedi Order. That same idea with an entirely Chiss focus, or entirely Republic focus, or the two competing would probably work better, though that's my view alone. The decision you make will obviously be up to you.

Having a superweapon or new technology of any kind is also a good way to attract potential players. I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to join the two ideas together. There could be researchers who have stumbled upon this civilisation and brought news of it to one of the existing galactic governments. Either way, the idea seems like a sound one to me.

18. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, as far as ruins of ancient civilizations, I can think of some off the top of my head:
  19. Alderaan (Kilik hives)

20. Yavin 4 (Massassi temples built for Exar Kun, and the "Lost City of the Jedi" [I scrub and scrub, but the stain won't come out])

21. Munto Codru (bunch of old ruins built by someone)

22. Coruscant (Dig deep enough, you're bound to find something interesting)

23. Duros (For a planet that's full of pollutants, there are a surprising amount of ancient rulers and tombs)

24. Korriban (off-hand, I'd say... don't. The world tends to draw a lot of strange people)

25. Rafa system (ancient ruined civilization with a harp that awakened them... lots of weird stuff happened in the Lando trilogy)

26. Dathimor (the witches probably opened their borders somewhat for Jedi Historians to go study the Chu'unthor

27. Then you've got ancient races/cultures:
  28. Rakata, the big bad Empire of eons ago with lots of wonky tech

29. "The Architects" or whoever the heck was responsible for the Corellian sector

30. The Silentium, the weird droid society that popped up in the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy and did battle with the forces of the Abominator (another weird droid society) and scarred the Vong for life

31. Mandalorians. Watch out though, the Mandalorian fans can be vicious.

32. Plus all the various force using organizations

33. And much more, if I can sift through enough information to figure it out.

Anyways, probably your best bets are either ancient technology or ancient resevoirs of Jedi tradition (especially in the New Republic era). Maybe a remote city recently unearthed by some accident or chance discovery, or an ancient civilization's hidden grounds (Egypt, yay) or whatever. You might want to make up your own sect/species/homeworld/whatever.

One thing I am concerned about is how you're going to make a puzzle game. It can be harder to do when there's a disconnect of having to relay it through a GM, and then there's the problem where performance depends on the player's mental abilities. I don't think I'm going to elaborate on that last bit. Anyways, have any ideas on what you're going to throw at them, and how you're going to let them handle it?

34. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Thank you for those unexpected, but quite meaningful and helpful, words.

35. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if you're up to giving me another shot LSA, i'm back finally. computer issues solved, freshly moved and ready to learn again.

36. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Would you like to pick up where we left off?

37. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    *nods* that'd work fairly ok i think. unless you want to actually continue. you're choice. i actually did go over the post with a fine tooth come, as stated before. i just lost it cause it didn't actually post it... and then i had to reload the page.

38. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Lightside_Apprentice, I just wanted to let you know that I have returned from my rather long absence and would like to continue with my lessons if that is not a problem. If so, I understand...I have been away for quite a while. :)

39. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    we've not gone much of anywhere nem. i was waiting to see what LSA was going to do, but i'll get to work on what he suggested. my apologies for taking so long.

40. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I noticed that. I was just letting him know that I am now available and willing to start again. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.