main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Diamond Institution: A Preparatory School for Role Playing Excellence

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by LightSide_Apprentice, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, LSA,

I am intrested in enrolling in this fine school.
    My selection of classes are as follows:

1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.

Thank you.

prj1

2. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Headmaster's Announcement: I suppose it should come as no surprise that there have been some absences, my own included. These things happen, and, I suppose, are to be expected. We shall consider them voluntary time away from school, or vacation and holiday time, though I suspect it hasn't quite been fun and games for us all.

In any case, it is encouraging to see familiar faces once again. I can only hope that we'll all be able to spend a little more time here than previously, but only time will tell. In the meantime, I suppose we should get right back to it.

School's open, boys and girls.

[u][b]CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE[/b][/u] [Session II]

Students Present: darth_nemisis, Trimaj & prj1

[color=blue]Firstly, and most importantly, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to both of you. I'm so very glad to see you return, and willingly, too! Perhaps the best place for us to begin our second session of classes is to refresh our memories with what our very first lesson was about. In short, we covered the basics of role playing and the tricks of the trade; we learned the vital role of spelling and grammar; tags, locations, in- and out-of character notations were touched upon, as were locations; and, of course, one should never forget that presentation is everything.

Sometimes the illusion of being a veteran, or near perfect, is just as good as the real thing. At the very least it can make a fine imitation. Having these tools to work with is essential to advanced role playing - making that ever critical good impression. But, where do we go from here?

Please allow me to steer us along a new course, one that I'll tentatively refer to as tag building. To help to illustrate what I'm referring to, I'd like to offer two examples for you to consider.

[i]Example Number One[/i]
    [blockquote]
    It was a dark house on a silent hill. Winged beasts circled high above the mansion estate, the sound of their beating wings carrying across the wind. They were not birds of prey, precisely. More than likely the creatures were scavengers. Flying as they were the avians possessed a clear and perfect view of the grounds below. It were almost as if they patrolled the sky.[/blockquote]

[i]Example Number Two[/i]
    [blockquote]
    Rumour had it that the docking bay was haunted. What a ridiculous notion that was. Freighters often docked there, and passengers wandered harmlessly. There hadn't been an incident in years. And yet there was an incident. Once. It was a very long time ago, now. Such things were likely stories - myth, really.

No matter how many times it ran through someone's mind, it came no closer to fading. Shadows shifted within the bay. Whispers crept through the walls, and a cool breeze flowed through from without, sending a chill through to bone. And, then, there was a scream of terror.[/blockquote]

I'm most interested to see what your thoughts are on the two setting examples above. Is one better than the other? If yes, or no, why? What could be done to make the lesser one better, or the better one perfect? And, how does any of this relate to tagging, or what I referred to as 'tag building'?

Before you respond, I'd like to welcome a third student to our class. prj1 will be joining us for this session. Please make her feel welcome. Remember, it's hard being the new person. prj1, I hope you gain as much value from this session as our returning class members. Though I initially considered starting you at 1.1, I figured it'd be far more interesting to group you together, not least of which because it'll make my job easier.[/color]

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    In my opinion, the second one is better. First of all, as you said, the illusion of perfection can sometimes be just as good. With that being said, the second on is longer, a whole paragraph longer. The appearance of that one is simply better; not saying that the longer it is, the better. Secondly, there seems to be more detail. The first one has detail, yes, but the second one has more. For example: "Freighters often docked there, and passengers wandered harmlessly," and "Shadows shifted within the bay. Whispers crept through the walls, and a cool breeze flowed through from without." Those aren't needed, but they are an added detail that makes the post more fun to read.

Also, the second one leaves off better; it's a suspenseful ending, something that will grasp the attention of the reader better. And, the ending is a great "tag-builder," if tag-builder is what I am thinking it is. It ends with a couple of options for the next person whom the posts TAGs to choose from. Do they explore the scream? Do they leave the mansion in fear? Or do they simply ignore the scream and move on throughout the house.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    Welcome PRJ1, glad to you have you aboard. The more opinions there are the better, that much is for sure.

Sorry for not posting sooner, work was exceddingly hectic last week, and I've had a cold since making writing much of anything critical a pain.

Now, as to which post I like better the second gets my vote. It's just more flavorful in the description, or to use another way to say it: more fun to read. It sparks the imagination more, and it gives the person that is going to be tagged a place to pickup from, unlike the first.

The first one is well written, but it's seems... sterile in a way. It also leaves nowhere to go with it, making the next poster either have to decide what to do, or just stare at the scenery.

I'm going to assume these would both be an opening post, and the second one is definitely a better one serving that purpose. As said before, it gives you something to do, whereas the first one leaves you with next to nothing.

Now, to make the first one better, you'd need to add at least another line to it, some sort of activity.

I'll go ahead and add onto it, just as an example.

It was a dark house on a silent hill. Winged beasts circled high above the mansion estate, the sound of their beating wings carrying across the wind. They were not birds of prey, precisely. More than likely the creatures were scavengers. Flying as they were the avians possessed a clear and perfect view of the grounds below. It were almost as if they patrolled the sky.

Oddly, these birds seem to be circling around something as they made the rounds of their chosen territory. A disonant symphony for the nose oozes through the air, the smell of burnt wood and rotting flesh, the sickly sweet odor mixing with the acrid smell drawing in a tantalizingly horrible manner. Surely there was a purpose of some sort, but what could this be?

This would give the following person something to do. Maybe the go and investigate, or maybe they just get sick in the bushes and avoid that specific aread. *shrugs* It wouldn't matter so much, but they have something specific to do rather than complete ambiguity.

As to the other, as Nem said, the appearance of perfection can be enough. I wouldn't do anything to the above post, simply cause it is tantalizing as it is, drawing you in and making you wonder where it's going.

5. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Trimmage.

I agree with my fellow 1.3 students. The second one is better because of the details. Trim's rewrite of the first one was great.
    Now here is my version.

It was a dark house on a silent hill. No one had lived in it for twenty years. Winged birds with gray feathers, Yellow eyes and black beaks circled high above the mansion estate, the sound of their beating wings carrying across the wind.
    They were not birds of prey, precisely. More than likely, the creatures were scavengers. Flying as they were the avians possessed a clear and perfect view of the grounds below. It were almost as if they were patrolling the sky. A body of a dead man lay in a pool of blood on the ground. The events leading up to his death are a great mistery, but one that must be solved. Who will be courageous enough to set foot on these grounds? We shall see.

6. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE [Session II][Continued]

Students Present: darth_nemisis, Trimaj, prj1

It may come as no real surprise that we all agree that the second post was the better of the two. I found it interesting to see that while each of you thought the second was better, you were able to give varying responses and to why that was, exactly. To be perfectly honest, I had some difficulty writing both posts and once they were done I wasn't entirely satisfied with either of them. Without a doubt, the second one offered more, however, and it's worth recapping why that is.

The first example tells us a few things in setting. We learn of the following:

1) There's a dark house on a silent hill.
    2) There are flying beasts circling it high above.

That the creatures might be scavengers, and the house actually a mansion are not terribly important in the way of substance. What they offer is a degree of depth to an otherwise ordinary paragraph, which, while nice for detail, gives us very little in addition to work with. My thought is that rather than giving us something to respond to, the post simply throws a scene at us. There is a setting and almost nothing else. One might argue that it is open-ended, and that it gives the player(s) the opportunity to approach from any number of angles.

Let us compare this with the base elements offered in the second example:

1) There's a haunted docking bay.
    2) The docking bay is frequented by visitors and users.
    3) There is history.
    4) There is a scream that requires a response.

In creating a haunted docking bay, one with 'history' we give the player(s) a chance to capitalise upon something solid. They don't necessarily have to know what the history is, or the stories as to why the place is haunted, to be able to make some useful or worthwhile comment in that regard. More than anything else, however, there are specific details that demand a response - namely the sound of a scream.

I have to smile upon seeing darth_nemisis' observation in length. The extra paragraph, despite its substance, offers the illusion of perfection. It gives us something obviously and visibly more than the first, and for almost that alone it's a better post. The suspenseful ending is an excellent technique to provoke a response. It's precisely what I was referring to when I referred to tag-building, so I'm very glad to see darth_nemisis mention as much.

In short, the second post is better because it gives us all something to do. It asks us to react to the scream. For us to do anything else, for us to ignore it (unless for good reason) would be a shortcoming in our role as players.

Never did I expect both Trimaj and prj1 to add to the paragraph. By doing so, you've both helped to further illustrate how you feel the [lesser] post would be more comparable to the other one.

For the next part of this exercise, I'd like you to pick one of the two examples. Imagine that you're a player and the example of your choice is a post that you need to respond to. It could be an opening post, a post by another player, or a game master. Sometimes we're given posts that are poor in quality and difficult to respond to. What I'm asking you to do is to give it a try, specifically making use of all the comments that have been offered in this class thus far.

You may respond to either one of the two examples I have detailed above, or one of the two offered by Trimaj and prj1. Please specify which it is that you've chosen, before you make your IC response.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    Alrighty... here's my reply.

IC: Gind Klosman/ Spaceport/ Raltir

It was way past time for him to be back at the ship. Three hours, twenty-nine minutes, and fifty-four seconds past time to be exact. Irksomely the captain of the Grey Gelfer was a stickler for those exceedingly minor details, like wanting the exact second that any of the crew did something. This came a the cost of efficiency, but Noral was apparently not bothered by this in the least, so long as they were still profitable.

The corridors Gind walked along were fairly populous, but growing sparser as he took back ways. These were rather dingy, the "white" walls now more of a dusty granite color. I guess I'll have to do it. I'm already too late as it is. The "it" was of course traversing they "Haunted" docking bay. It was a local supersition, and nothing had happened in long enough for the story to have degraded to myth. But for some reason it still persisted.

Decisively making a left turn at the next intersection, the male gand walked down a corridor that grew steadier less taken care of. Despite the time since the last incident had occured, it was still nigh impossible to keep a cleaning crew for the area. Many just flat out refused to be there during the hours it was required. Especially alone, or in only pairs. The owners of the starport weren't willing to pay for more, so steadily the area declined.

It was still in active use though, as seen by the customs officials booths. Mainly it was smugglers and other sorts like that which used the area now, but it wasn't so much a big deal. They all minded their business, and nothing untoward had happened in a long time. The unwritten rules applied here far more visciously than in other places.

Suddenly there was an ear piercing scream. It sounded like it was coming from somewhere off to the left, down a distinctly darker hallway. Oddly there didn't appear to be any others that had even heard the scream. Trying to ignore it, his curiousity got the better of him just as he was about through the area. Five more minutes can't really hurt. And if someone's really in trouble, maybe I could help? Sighing, Gind headed off towards the darkened area, having no clue what he would find upon arriving there.

TAG: GM

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    Another rather extended break, it would appear...

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I apologize for my absence from this thread, but it doesn't seem I missed too much. I am finally writing my response to our assignment. I want to point out that I am not writing it in the same planet as Trimaj has. I felt that I should do something different.

IC: Arrik Orion
    ~Docking Bay - Corellia~

Arrik walked silently along the path, minding his own business. Mere meters ahead of him walked a man clothed in a deep black robe, his entire head concealed within the hood that he wore. Arrik had been following the man since they left the cantina thirty standard minutes ago.

The man turned to his right down an alley that led off to a place that Arrik had never been before. Arrik hesitated, waiting a few moments to follow; the alley looked all but abandoned, and it would most definitely look suspicious if he were to turn right away. Once he saw that the man took a turn out of the alley, Arrik followed.

Arrik made sure to bring his blaster pistol out of his hip holster, and held it at shoulder level. He crept silently, and peered around the corner. He noticed that the man had walked into a docking bay. There were freighters docked for the night, as well as a few small yachts and personal air vehicles. There were many different kinds of species walking around, but he could not spot a man in an all black cloak. He holstered his weapon, not wanting to draw attention to himself, and moved forward.

The further Arrik walked into the docking bay, the more scared he grew. He could not help but notice movement out of the corner of his eye and, when he turned to look, his hand by his weapon, there was nothing there. The breeze that swept through added to the disturbing feeling he that continued to grow within him. An awful thought formulated in his thoughts; the docking bay was haunted.

Arrik nearly lunged out of his skin when he heard a horrifying scream come from around a corner. He instantly went for his blaster, and peered around to see if any of the others wandering around had heard it. However, everyone seemed to have disappeared. Arrik took a deep breadth, and crept around the corner, keeping his weapon at the ready. When he turned the corner, he said, "CorSec police!"

TAG: GM

10. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE [Session II][Continued]

I've read both responses to the above scenario, and am rather pleased that each of you chose the Docking Bay. Having the same subject matter makes things a lot easier for the purposes of comparability. Before I get too far ahead of myself, however, there are a few very basic things I feel are worthy of note.

Both responses were of considerable depth and decent length. If I could summarise the piece offered by Trimaj, I would go as far as to mention the following: First, he has given some degree of insight into his character, which is always a welcome thing. And, second, he has worked to fuel or enhance the 'myth' or 'haunted' nature of the docking bay through illustration. Last, but certainly not least, there is a clear opening or tag to the GM, or anyone else, for which to respond to.

I'm obviously pleased to see that darth_nemisis' post shows the same 'tag-building' technique. I cannot begin to tell you how much added value it gives to your posts, at least in my eyes. And, I have no doubt that you'll feel the same, if not now, then when you're actually playing in other RPGs amongst players who offer as much on their own. The other thing I rather liked about darth_nemisis' piece was that it gave me the sense of 'story'. Having the main character follow someone else, for whatever reason, is more than sufficient for the purposes of arousing interest.

There would be little point in me seeking to criticise, even if entirely constructively, either one of your posts as both were certainly well written. I only ask one question of you. Would you always put so much time or effort into your work? You don't have to answer, but I'd certainly like for you to give the question some thought. I think you'd be amazed at how much better any one of us could role play, if we gave it just that little bit extra.

I'd like to conclude this session for the moment. It's been difficult given our days of availability, and a new topic would probably go a long way to helping us all. To that end, I'm open to comments or suggestions. At this moment in time, I'll more than likely steer our next class toward emotion and true in-character play.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    where you're going would be most satisfactory to me LSA. i await the start of the next section patiently.

:snoopy

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE [Session III]

So begins session three of our class. Firstly, however, I'd like to take a moment to recognise Trimaj's award for the 'Best Role Player'. Few people can claim that title, though it's clear your peers feel that you should be one of them. And, now, you certainly are. I can only imagine you'll prove time and again precisely why that is. For the present, though, I'd like to begin with a brief outline of our present session's focus.

I mentioned briefly at the conclusion of our previous class that we would discuss, or otherwise explore, in-character play, and the emotions one might associate with a given character in this instance. Simple though it may seem, this area is often one that many role players, both new and old, struggle to master and perfect.

The primary consideration I've found to be the most challenging is when a character's actions may diverge or conflict with the actions the player might want their character to create. You may be playing a Sith assassin, for example, confronted with your target, who just happens to be controlled by your best friend. What do you do? Do you play as the character would, and do your best to 'kill' your target? Or, do you think twice before acting because you'd rather not kill what may very well be your best friend's favourite character? The most important test of all, as always, is: Given your response to these questions, explain why you answered as you did.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    Thank you LSA, I'll definitely do my best to show why people picked me.

To answer the question that you posed, I personally try to keep IC things away from OC influences as much as possible. I might talk to the person and see how they want to play it, but I'll still go ahead with my mission as it's been given to me. If you can't hold character in a situation like that then that's not really anything against you, but it does kind of drop the believablity of the character that you're playing.

To use the example that you have listed, if you have a character that you've been portraying as completely ruthless not caring whom he steps upon to get to his goals, completing goals placed before him, be they his own or missions from his master, with a ruthless efficiency, yet when you come to the target that your best friend is playing you completely break the character's "natural" tendencies that you've been building up all of this time... well, in effect it can completely ruin the character. It can create confusion as to why the character stopped there, rather than the person before. If there is an actual legit IC reason to do so, such as it was your first love or something, then that is believable. But if you've never actually met the person IC you should follow the course that you've started at the beginning when you molded the characters personality.

14. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE [Session III][Continued]

Staying true to character is one of the most important elements of role playing. I know most people would agree on that point, just as they would that one should not divert from a character's usual or normal course of action even when challenged by a friend. Yet despite what people say, I suspect just as much as I know how often this is not the case. People do not always do what they say, just as they don't say what they do.

I do not think that I would kill a friend's character outright, without extremely good reason. They would need to see it coming, or I would likely give them forewarning. In truth, I have often hesitated from 'challenging' characters played by my friends. I would often reconsider a course of attack because I would not want to upset them, or do something that might lead to either one of our characters being killed. That said, emotions can get in the way when you're up against someone who is not a friend, or something who you've had a falling out with.

Have you ever found yourself angry enough or annoyed enough at someone to seek to kill their character? I'd be surprised if you hadn't ever experienced the sensation. It's human to feel, and that does not make it wrong. How we deal with these things opens opportunities for characters and OOC relationships alike. To this day some of the people I am closest to are the ones that have caused me considerable pain, or challenged me like no one else, just as those who I might have put through consecutive trials by fire.

At the end of the day, I am sure of one thing. Killing characters, whether in books, or films, or RPGs, is generally bad for business. These things are extremely complex, and should always be done with serious consideration. Needless to say, acting on impulse is rarely the wisest course of action as it often leads to regret and heartache.

15. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I apologize for not posting in a while...

I am going to have to side with Trimaj. I often play Sith characters, and there have been times when I have confronted friends. They've never been assassinations, but I have fought friends IC. I have been killed by friends IC, and have killed friends IC. I wouldn't see why you wouldn't continue playing your character, and finishing a mission, just because that person is a friend. If they get upset, they will have to get over it; it's a game.

Of course, I wouldn't just kill that person. I would most likely warn them via PM or IM conversation. It's only fair to let them know. However, if it was someone I don't like...I'd just have my character kill his. :p

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    You do have a good point LSA, that your emotions will influence things no matter what you try. But as Nem said, give a heads up of what you're planning. That way they might provide a plausible reason IC to stop there, or just wound rather than kill. I was actually in a position to kill someone IC, someone I didn't know, but I didn't simply because my character despises weakness. In a somewhat perverted fashion he taught a lesson by maiming, rather than flat out killing. As a result there was a twenty page story arc that got many people involved. This was in the lightsaber combat thread. So basically, a good reason for not killing someone like that would be to leave options for later. After all, hurting or wounding can be learned from and then be used later. Killing tends to be rather final.

17. DarthCemeroX

DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    HI ALL!!!
    Ummm I'm kinda a newbie with the RPG forum. And this whole thing seemed pretty cool. And I was just wondering exactly what are the mechanizations of this thread, and is there anyway for me to enroll before the semester ends. (yeah i made a school joke, AHAH..ha..aha.ha ......yeah it was lame))

18. Beta-Commando

Beta-Commando Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2007
    'I have a bad feeling about this...'

DarthCemeroX: Look at the Headmaster's (AKA LightSide_Apprentice) last post. However weeks ago that was. Unless he comes back soon, I doubt the Diamond Institute will stay up much longer...

But if he does come back, I'd like to enroll in class 4.1, please! :)

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    oh this isn't dead, look at the length between the last two posts by LSA here. it's just a slow thing, as RL takes time from everyone. have patience and you will be rewarded.

20. Beta-Commando

Beta-Commando Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2007
    I guess so... 'Cept me. I'm too flaky to not be here. ;)

Well, according to my calculations, he should be back in a week or two.

21. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Hello all. I would like to enroll in the following classes.....

1.2 Advanced Role Playing Technique

22. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    HEADMASTER's NOTE

There is a time and a place for everything. My place, quite obviously, has not been here. Perhaps it is time, however, that I am. On that note, I shall pick up as I would if I had left off without the little absence in between.

Being that some new faces have shown up in these parts it seems fitting that I address the question initially posed by DarthCemeroX as to the nature and operation of this thread. Like any school or resource, the purpose and goal here is to instruct and to educate through the sharing of ideas, opinions, and knowledge in their many forms. As you may note from reading past 'lessons' conducted in this realm, I've taken a fairly liberal, open class approach. I do enjoy setting a point or topic of reference from which we may voice a thought or seek insight or understanding where such points might be elusive or unfamiliar to us.

Of course, DarthCemeroX , you may join, however late you, or I, may be. Should you still have interest enough, I'd be more than happy to welcome you into our classroom setting. The same applies to Beta-Commando, who I'm sure will come to learn about my sudden disappearances, rare or extended though they may be.

CLASS 1.3: ADVANCED ROLE PLAYING TECHNIQUE [Session IV]

I'd like to take a moment to welcome DarthSubZero to our class on Advanced Role Playing Technique, and ask two things of him. The first, if he has not already done so, is to take some time to view some of the previous sessions we've held, giving particular attention to the comments and thoughts posted by darth_nemisis and Trimaj. Second, is to take the time to provide adequate attention to detail. This class is 1.3, not 1.2, unless you were after 'Intermediate Role Playing'.

In any case, it would seem appropriate to conduct a roll call. As I address you by name, those present, please raise your hand or call out: "present". Before too long we'll know exactly who is here and who is not, and shall be free to resume.

Should you be eager to get straight to class, as per normal, I will ask that you develop a random character biography in the form of a setting. Choose a character and create an opening, just as you would in a game thread. But, do not post a bio. Instead, use the opening to reveal as much, or as little about your character as you see fit. Further instructions will follow shortly thereafter.

Beta-Commando, if you're still with us, I realise you expressed a wish to begin with class 4.1 Story Creation and Game Foundation. You may notice that this activity borders along similar lines to what you might expect in classes of your own, so, at least for this first session, I will ask that you sit in on this one with the others. It would help to bear in mind, or maintain the perspective that, you're here for story and game foundation, more so than role playing technique, when constructing or considering your potential response(s).

23. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    *throws a spitball at Cemero*

Present.

24. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Oh, and try this.

IC: as Luke Skywalker

Luke took a step across the broken, desolate battlefield, the only sign of life in a hovering cloud of death, his breath irony.

This was nothing like the moisture farms on Tatooine. Even with Obi Wan's warning (he still missed him), nothing prepared him for this.

Suddenly, the familiar stark white armor of the Stormtrooper revealed itself. He ignited his lightsaber, a gift from his father, immedeatly.

The Stormtrooper responded on suit, raising his blaster rifle. They were now locked in a deadly duel, Luke and one of Vader's cronies...

...Vader...the killer of his father and Obi-Wan.

TAG: LSA

25. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    I'm sorry I'm not currently enrolled with a class... but I would like to be...are their any openings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.