Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd read it. :D Zayne is all kinds of awesome.
  2. slow_dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I think an R2 diary would be awesome! OT sounds cool as it would be pretty interesting to hear what R2 had to say about the scenes we all know so well.

I was thinking about doing an Obi-Wan diary set on Tatooine sometime in between the prequels and the OT. Still debating on whether I could stick with it as I tend to stay on the boards for a few months, then leave for a few, then lurk for a few....
  3. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    You could still write it but if you miss one month one week then the diary will be pulled out of the competition. If you update within one month one week and you miss the mark three times then the fourth time it happens, it gets pulled out of the competition.

You can still write it but if you feel you won't stick around for the entire year posting twice a month, then I would not consider putting it in the competition. There's nothing say you can't still write it, just I wouldn't enter it if you know you're going to be away for a certain length of time...

The index has been updated and congrats to everyone who has finished in time =D=
  4. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Congrats to everyone that finished!

I outlined my 2012 diary last night (just the days I have to post updates and a few words reminding me what is going to happen in the entry). There is going to be angst and baby mush and not much else. Either it is going to be a good ballance... or people are going to think I am Bi-Polar.

I also got my title last night, inspires by a Killer's song title.
  5. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, Ceillean finally pressured me into it :p (and I figure if I post it here, I can't back out, haha), so I'm going to give the Diary Challenge a shot for 2012... with a Cem Fel diary. Because I'm a freaking masochist.

Probably c. 20 ABY or so. Haven't quite hammered out the time frame. But definitely pre-Yuuzhan Vong invasion.
  6. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm thinking about trying this again. Just trying to think of an idea. And hoping I don't forget to write/log on and post. :p
  7. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Is it mandatory to post your first entry on Jan. 1st in order paticiapate or can one post it whenever possible?
  8. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    No, I started mine last year on the 5th of January.
  9. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    No, you have upto a week or two. I can't really remember on that, but as long as you get your first two posts in in January, you should be fine.
  10. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
    Back in '09, we had to post before Jan 15. We also had to post in the thread with a link. Do we still have to post the initial post link in this thread, or do we just PM the sock?

I've already started mine. Hooray for living on the other side of the world!
  11. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
  12. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Dustland Fairytale is up!

I love writing Beru with first-person. She is so cute and innocent in my head. I'll admit it; as much as I loved it, I need some cuteness after writing snarky Mara for a year.
  13. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    The Edge is up.

New Year, new OC. And Jacen.
  14. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Posting a link would help readers find it. ;)
  15. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I haven't posted it yet. It's on the other computer....
  16. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    Just a friendly reminder the poles are open to vote for your favorite 2011 fan fic :)
  17. SoA Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  18. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  19. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
  20. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    Is it too late to sign up for this year?

If not, I'd like to start a diary in the form of a series of AARs (After-Action Report -- military term for a written account of an armed engagement with the enemy) following the adventures of a starfighter pilot flying with the Republic Marines. I haven't quite narrowed it down yet, but it could either take place during the Mandalorian Wars or the Jedi Civil War.

So yeah, what do you guys think?
  21. SoA Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    As I understand it, as long as you get your first entry in by January 15, you are still good.

I think that journal idea sounds really interesting. I guess when you write it depends on if you want your villains to be Mandalorians or Sith. The later having the Force could affect your plot.
  22. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, thanks for that. Gives me time to figure out the current format used by the USAF or whatever.

As for there being a "villain" in this diary, I'm not so sure that's really important. In any conflict, the villain is more often than not the war itself. That's kind of the point of this diary?that is to say, this collection of chronologically-ordered AARs?to illustrate what a typical fighter pilot might endure in a long, drawn-out conflict. I've written a novel about a fighter pilot before, but this one took place during World War II.

Thanks again for the reply.
  23. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Recruitment Must Be Low

One of mine are up in the Saga forum! I'll need to finish typing the first post of the other. Figured I'd do two diaries for one character, in two different time periods. It's more of an experiment, to see how they differ (aside from the obvious differences) in terms of voice and nuance.
  24. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade