main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yay!

To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to taking dictation over the phone...I seem to have a bad case of the "phone phuzzies," in that it is often difficult for me to understand what someone is saying over that medium. So yeah, glad you can get that updated yourself...heh.

JediFalcon:

Hopefully you've noticed that I did start my diary...maybe you could put it up on the index or something?

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    It's been noted. I've been busy with work that I don't want to bother with a computer when I get home. It's been an insane month and a half because everything just exploded in December and we're just catching up now....

3. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeeouch.

I know the feeling. My condolences.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Try getting a stereo headset and using that. I find it much easier to use a phone if I can hear the other person in both ears than in just one.

5. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    I updated the index. Please let me know if I missed something.

Also the voting for your favorite 2011 diary is still going on. I will stop accepting votes on January 15th 2012 midnight board time.

If you're going to enter the challenge you have two days left to enter.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I told myself I wasn't going to do this again, but ...

[Troubled Waters] Formerly Known as Princess

It'll be interesting to see if I can actually keep this up. In the last 5 years, I abandoned two diaries, wrote two VSDs the first week of January, and actually finished one but after it was out of competition because it was so late. Maybe this time, I'll actually succeed in finishing this on time 8-}

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's up!! I'll give it a proper title and stuff later, it's 2am here and I'm getting tired, but at least it's still the 15th according to board time!

9. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    It's been noted Moose.

Last call for diaries and votes. Three hours to midnight board time :D

10. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    The index has been updated. Let me know if I missed anything.

The voting is over and the points have been tallied.

And the winner of the 2011 Diary challenge is:

Drum roll

Downward Spiral: The Diary of Syal Antilles, by LaneWinree =D= =D=

Congratualtions LaneWinree.

Goodluck to everyone in this years challenge :)

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congratulations LaneWinree=D=

12. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    I put up a mini challenge for January.

Strange Weather

why you ask instead of cold well that's just it. It hasn't been too cold with very little snow this year.

It's the warmest weather we've had in seven years. It's been more rain and above zero vs ice or snow with freezing below 0 temps.

That's my reasoning :D

13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hm, that leaves out RMBL, as it's currently in space. Unless the sprinkler system malfunctions and suddenly, it's raining inside! I think I can come up with something for WtDiB, though...

As for the weather here... Rainy, windy, and cold. Thursday, we're supposed to have snow showers. It's about damn time, too. When the Farm Show is going on, it's usually prime time for blizzards, but so far, it's just rained. Then, the rain that pooled on the porch froze solid. [face_plain]

14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Here in the Detroit Metro area it's been the mildest winter in memory. We've only had a couple of minor snowfalls, and the white stuff didn't stick around for more than a day.

Global climate change is a real problem, folks.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We had a decent snowfall last week, but by this weekend, it had all melted. I'm hoping for more snow. Until then... I'll just write about the thundersnow from last winter. That was wild.

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Attention all challengers

I just heard the boards will be moving very shortly and could be down for upto two weeks.

Due to the circumstances and if the boards are down for that long will not affect the challenge. The challenge will resume normally as soon as the boards are backup.

I also heard there will be temporary boards up, so if still feel the urge to post or you could just wait it out. It's up to you. Let me know if you do post or decide to wait.

That is all.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, so now the big move is finally underway? How fitting that it may coincide with my move in February.

In the meantime... onto posting another diary entry...

And clean out the sock's inbox! :p The board won't let me PM it because it has too many unread messages.

18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh dear- the withdrawal! [face_worried] Two whole weeks...

(is anyone else still incredulous that this will actually happen at all? :p)

But yeah, I think I'll just be waiting out the blackout, whenever it does happen, and will just catch up when we're back online.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Personally, I'm banking on it happening in March. However, if it does indeed coincide with my move the second week of February, then that will work, as I'll have to go through some TFN withdrawal anyway.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Is it bad that I'm hoping it'll coincide with when I need to post an entry to stay in so it'll give me a bit longer? Issue #0 of the comics I'll be working from isn't out yet and I don't want to make up stuff. [face_worried]

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I can definitely wait.

22. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    I just got finished cleaning out the boxes and this brings up a concern.

I noticed that more then a couple of you are posting on a near day to day bases.

Remember two posts minimum but I'm just worried that some of you might lose esteem for the story. The challenge is to post at least twice a month for a whole year.

I just don't want to see any of these stories to fall in the red before the years out.

Just something to chew on, I remember seeing this happen last year.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My one diary I'm just winging it. I really have nothing planned. I'm just writing stuff nightly and seeing where that random writing goes. The other one has a pretty set storyline that I'm working with currently. It should last a year.

24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    If everyone feels they can wait, then the challenge will be put on hold for the amount of time the boards are down. Until the boards go down, posting as usual.

Yes no maybe

it would give everyone a chance to get a head in their posting if nothing else

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think it's also worth mentioning that it's hard on readers to post more than perhaps once a week. I don't always read updates to fics on the day I get the PM so seeing a fic update too frequently would be off putting. Also, you can only send a certain number of PMs that go unread before you can't send any more to that user. So, yeah, my advice to those who are updating every day or every other day is to cut back, maybe write longer entries, add a bit of suspense so that readers want to find out what happens next, and give them a chance to comment and give feedback on the last entry. Too many posts too fast will lead to burnout for both the writer and the reader.

FWIW I'll not be around while the move is happening so I'd prefer it if the challenge is put on hold or at least relaxed a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.