main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Another weather challenge?

Sorry, but I call bupkis and won't be participating. :(

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    So what is the status on this challenge? I have been writing during our stay on the temp boards. Can we play catch up and still finish the challenge?

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, the boards are back, and I've completely forgotten everything about my diary! :(

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Thats something we have to figure out. I noticed that for the time being if a post is long then half of the post is missing. Sounds like they're still working on it and I noticed my stories are messed up by missing half posts.

How does everyone feel? Should we just wait and start fresh in the new year or does everyone want to continue the story. I know it's a bit depressing when you do long posts and half of it's gone and there's no telling how long it will take before they sort that mess out.

What is everyone feeling about this?

5. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Small new problem. I can't update the title or the old post. Interesting. what are your thoughts on this?

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Personally, my diary died with the promise that the move was only going to take 2 weeks, but I wasn't super enthusiastic about my diary. I'm going to do one last entry to bring closure to the story, then drop out of the challenge regardless of what the other participants decide.

However, I know people who were entusiasic and kept writing and updating their diary elsewhere. So for these people, I say keep the challenge going regardless of glitches. I have a feeling not many people will cross the finish line this year though.

7. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    sorry to see you drop out :(

I have a feeling not many will, I noticed one person did update. But I have no way to reflect that

They were being updated elsewhere? For those who have continued to update elsewhere, please post the links in this thread. Maybe that's a good place to start.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Right now I don't have access to my diary beyond what was posted here as my computer died. Hopefully it'll be up and going again in the next day or so though but until it is I won't be able to do anything. The time since the last entry has kind of made me forget what I wanted to do or where I was going to take it. I guess I'll have to see what I've got and take it from there.

On the upside, I have a great idea for next year. ;)

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll need to see where I last left off. I wrote a dozen or so entries during the move, but after a month or so, I got side-tracked with other things. But, who says I can't space them out over the course of a couple months until I get some more stuff written?

Unfortunately, my back log is mainly for one of my diaries.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I cannot update the title but I will continue the diaries. I have them finished for most parts

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just updated one of my diaries. Can't update the title, either, and I forget who all was on my PM list.

12. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I'm not thrilled about the idea of starting brand new next year. I had a whole planned out thing and would be quite bummed to find out that all of it, 5 month wait included, was pointless.
    Could we possibly start a new mini-diary challenge, just between now and the end of the year? Anyone who wants to continue can pick up where they left on in March, anyone up for starting something new could just do a short 3 month diary?

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Personally, I don't see the point in updating at the moment since half the updates are missing. They're still working on the problem. And who knows when they'll get it fixed. The idea of a mini diary challenge is actually pretty cool. And we could all start from the beginning come January.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, a mini-challenge will work. If anything, I can just finish off the year with one of my diaries. The other one stalled a bit, unfortunately.

15. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Well, I have finished writing my diary and I have been posting it on FF.net. - Artoo's Frazzled Circuits: The OT Diary
    I've taken a look at my posts here and, because they are short, only one of them is truncated.

So I can continue posting. I'm just not sure on the posting schedule, though - I have 20 entries to post. I don't think I'd want to restart next year.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A few of mine are truncated, namely the entries where I combined several entries into one. I've been posting them on SWFanon, though, so they can be read there.

I'm not sure if I want to restart mine next year. I'd rather close out this year in the mini-challenge, and continue next year as a new year.

17. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I do have my diary backed up. So I would have to repost mine unless they fix the code in the next couple of days.

The mini diary challenge does sound like fun and for those whose have the desire to finish the diary they started in January may do so. And if they want to hop into the mini diary challenge you can.

say one week from today the mini diary challenge will begin, two posts a month usual rules that apply to the year long diary.

How would that sound? Should we have one winner or two and separate the two? Or should it depend on how many year long diaries complete for this year vs mini diaries?

How does that sound to everyone?

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    excellent idea

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I think I'll just stick to my diary. As for the winners, I think there should be one for the year-long and one for the mini-chalenge, if there are enough participants on both.

JediFalcon - I have a few questions. First, I have 20 entries to post and 17 weeks to post them (I might be grouping some of them, but I still need to figure out which ones), so do you (the sock, I mean) want to be notified for every single one? Do you need PM's or will a tag do?

Also, should I repost the first entries in one post (due to the weird formating and invasion of '?')?

20. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Now that I think about it, yeah we'll wait to see how many plan to do the mini challenge and whether or not we have enough full diaries still going to see if we can have two separate categories.

A pm would work better. Because I can't edit the pages it'll be more difficult to keep track. I'll have to figure something out.

I know that because of the weird formatting I have to repost my entries too. If you want too because it looks strange and there's no telling when they will get that repaired. You can if you want or you don't have too. I'll leave that same option open to everyone.

21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Okay. I'm feeling a bit lost here and I need to get organised, but I'm hoping to have the next entry up tomorrow or the day after.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have 80,000 words written on my diary! I want to post my epic Journal! :p I posted one entry on these new boards and then decided to group 5 entries together for the next post. I would like to get caught up. The boards were down for 5 or 6 months...so that would mean I would need 10 to 12 entries posted so I would be up to date. So is that what I should do? Post the 12 entries in clumps and then continue on doing two or three a month?

When it comes to voting, if the truncated problem isn't fixed I could put the link to the journal where I have it posted on FFN.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My diary has a couple months missing, but I can stretch out what I have to cover those and restart writing it nightly tonight.

If the truncated problem isn't fixed, I'll link to where I have it on SWFanon.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am up-to-date with my postings now. Do we have to PM notifications of postings to the challenge sock or something when we post new stuff?

25. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Please either pm me or the sock so I know you're still writing in the challenge. That hasn't changed. Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.