main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Diary of a Matchmaker General--Update 9/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    [face_coffee] Chicken soup for you! Feel better soon...

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [:D]

[:D]

Feel better soon. :)

:D

3. Sethathoryunet

Sethathoryunet Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2004
    *hands out the tissues* Hope you feel better soon. I'm guessing the weather where you are at the moment isn't helping either! [face_coffee]

4. Lady_Jedi93

Lady_Jedi93 Jedi Knight star 4

May 11, 2010
    [face_laugh] This is awesome! [face_laugh]
    If you do PM's I would love to be on your list. [:D]

5. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    hope you have a chance to update soon!

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Entry 7

The journey home ended today and I settled into my duties with my usual amount of dedication. Half an hour before dusk, however, Leia asked for a private conference about upcoming negotiations. As I'm her go-to person on matters of the budget and assessing the needs of the base, I agreed.

What I did not expect was for her to have thirty miinutes of valid questions that cut off suspiciously at exactly 1800. When I returned to my office, I found that the staff had hurriedly decorated for a birthday that I'd forgotten--my own. They indulged by using some of the less-common ingredients available to us so I could have a cake.

With all the intricacies of war, I think it a bad idea to deny the soldiers these kinds of small pleasures. Many officers forbid fraternization in the ranks, but I disagree with this policy. We all need something to live and fight for and even if that's the person we come home to at the end of the day, that can be enough. Now, if I can just find a way to corrupt the holofile of me in a party hat, my day will be complete.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very nice update and an accomplishment keeping such a secret and it being a complete surprise from Rieekan -- :D he never had a clue.

:)

And it says a lot about how his fellow officers hold him in high respect.

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Awww, that's sweet. Always lovely to see the more relaxed side of Rieekan. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    I wonder why everyone likes the character so much...he had one scene in Ep. V didn't he? You FF-writers spoiled us and this is the result...:)

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Jade_eyes--LOL, thanks. :) I enjoy surprising people. And I figure that if Han Solo actually treated the guy with respect, that says a hell of a lot!

Valiowk--I don't often write him relaxed. I usually have him as Leia's whipping boy in various adventures. :)

The-Solo-Smirk--Yes, but he also turns up in the Thrawn trilogy, running the defense of Coruscant at one point. And then I really liked his character...
    Entry 7

I should have known better than to let Leia in on the birthday party. She put a copy of the holo in Captain Solo's safe keeping, which means that I'll have to let him get away with murder before it's erased. Even then, I'll have to do the job myself and have Alliance Intelligence run a scan on his records.

Leia did have a lovely birthday present for me, however. She has successfully arranged a meeting with the person who is willing to sell us an ion cannon. It may be tantamount to shooting a distant wasp with a blaster, but it makes me feel better and most Star Destroyers are comparatively larger. We will know by next week if we have a primary weapon for Echo Base.

Another convoy is in the works and we were smart enough to let Solo help plan this one. He has more shady contacts than anyone I've ever known, Ysanne Isard included, and a few of them are even sympathetic to our cause without requiring a down payment.

In other news, I finished the study of pacifist systems and lent it to Leia. Since her father was one of the key players on Palpatine's famous Loyalist Committee, I thought she might be interested. Perhaps we should start a book club.

11. Sethathoryunet

Sethathoryunet Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2004
    Now, if I can just find a way to corrupt the holofile of me in a party hat, my day will be complete.

Hehe!
    Nice to see he's not too conservative. But he still has his mind completely on the job, considering he counts an ion cannon as a birthday present!

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed Carlist's witty remarks. :D Han's shady connections -- ;) and a book club [face_mischief]

13. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    :D The thought of a book club in the Alliance is just too funny. [face_laugh]

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Entry seven-Aww, that is adorable and so nice! Yes, Carlist. Celebrate a bit. :) Good thinking on his part. And no, the holo stays. :p

seven part two-LOL! Perfect blackmail material, there. :p Good birthday present, at least. Love the comparison between Han and Ysanne, there.

15. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    Another convoy is in the works and we were smart enough to let Solo help plan this one. He has more shady contacts than anyone I've ever known

that one cracked me up. han is so cool. we loves him! [face_laugh]

16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    This diary is hysterical. Loved the line about Solo having more contacts than Isard.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Entry 8

Sometimes, there is not much to report. Same old, same old. Leia and Solo are on the mission to secure the ion cannon. The squadron commanders are bickering over who will be wing commander and trying not to let me notice. I have more datawork to do and orders to issue. Several soldiers came to me with complaints against my new head of security. I took it to mean that I should like Major Derlin.

I found out that Lieutenant Commander Syok from my first base command died in combat two days ago. It is a relief that it never gets any easier to hear of a friend's passing, but I try not to thin of who will be next. I have too many friends who have prices on their heads and the rest could be executed without due process for what I've asked them to do over the years. I feel guilty that I haven't sent a comm to Syok since his last birthday, six months ago. He was one of the more interesting officers at the Hiolara base and I officiated at his wedding, since there were no other ranking officers on site. He claims that there was a different reason, but I'm sure that if he had been given a choice, he would have preferred someone who spoke his native language. I didn't dishonor him by slaughtering the pronunciation, but had one of the base interpreters translate the ceremony into Basic for me.

One extra duty today was choosing an auxiliary transportation mode. This essentially meant that I went to the ship's spare hangar and compared the dents and melted wires on half a dozen models of speeder. They had a droid on hand who reminded me a little too much of a used-freighter salesman. In the end, I shortlisted three models, one of which is from the same basic design as the A-wing.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Entry 8

Sometimes, there is not much to report. Same old, same old. Leia and Solo are on the mission to secure the ion cannon. The squadron commanders are bickering over who will be wing commander and trying not to let me notice. I have more datawork to do and orders to issue. Several soldiers came to me with complaints against my new head of security. I took it to mean that I should like Major Derlin.

I found out that Lieutenant Commander Syok from my first base command died in combat two days ago. It is a relief that it never gets any easier to hear of a friend's passing, but I try not to thin of who will be next. I have too many friends who have prices on their heads and the rest could be executed without due process for what I've asked them to do over the years. I feel guilty that I haven't sent a comm to Syok since his last birthday, six months ago. He was one of the more interesting officers at the Hiolara base and I officiated at his wedding, since there were no other ranking officers on site. He claims that there was a different reason, but I'm sure that if he had been given a choice, he would have preferred someone who spoke his native language. I didn't dishonor him by slaughtering the pronunciation, but had one of the base interpreters translate the ceremony into Basic for me.

One extra duty today was choosing an auxiliary transportation mode. This essentially meant that I went to the ship's spare hangar and compared the dents and melted wires on half a dozen models of speeder. They had a droid on hand who reminded me a little too much of a used-freighter salesman. In the end, I shortlisted three models, one of which is from the same basic design as the A-wing.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Entry 8

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Great little post. :) Ah, yes. The death of comrades. [:D] All the time in the world... and then gone like that. *Snaps fingers* Derlin's a great guy! Just ask his friend Norm... :p

21. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Great filler post. Rieekan says that there's not much to report, but the truth is that the death of a friend is as much a piece of news as other, seemingly more exciting events. And after all, we all need some less exciting days in life to balance the more exciting ones. :p

22. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    Keep 'em coming!

23. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Oh, my! I missed three posts, how did that happen? Glad to see you are feeling well enough to write; I hope it means you are completely better.

So much going on, loved the birthday party. Good move on Leia's part to have Han keep a copy of the holo. An ion cannon as a birthday gift, not bad.

Last post was touching. Not much may be going on, but the death of a friend is always something which makes you think about things like, did I keep in touch the way I should, who's going to be next, etc. If you stop feeling these things, it isn't good. Rieekan was right on that one, and Leia could learn a few tips from him on that. Although she probably does feel, she never shows it. That's what has earned her the title "Ice Princess." Glad Han will be there to show her the way, even if neither of them realize it yet.

24. ahhhrealmia

ahhhrealmia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2010
    Haven't quite finished catching up yet, but I like what I see so far. Add me to the update list please? :)
    Looking forward to reading more

Update: Lovely stuff. I'm laughing hysterically at the idea of a Rebel Alliance book club. Of course, my brain took it to the level where it became something like Oprah's book club, with a smirking, cheesy picture of Riekkan on a sticker on the front of the books they'd read. :p

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Entry 9

I am writing this en route to Hoth for an inspection. We have to find a suitable glacier that will not disturb any wildlife habitats and which will not be on the brutal southern continent. Personally, I am surprised to hear that there are hospitable regions of Hoth and that there is wildlife there. Fortunately, there is little chance that a native of Hoth would take offense at my opinions. No intelligent life would live there.

When the inspection is done, I will be able to put in a requisition for pre-fab shelters. We have the standard size that can be used for temporary structures in construction areas, but High Command is proposing that we invest in one that will accommodate several hundred men, women, speeders, X-wings and droids. I'm not sure any of them have ever lived in a pre-fab shelter. None of them are stable enough to be used by more than a dozen people. What we really need is something about the size of a Super Star Destroyer's landing bay with the sturdiness of a cave.

Another impossible task is that of finding a way of making said landing-bay-cave inconspicuous. I harbor no illusions that a decent sensor sweep would not discover us no matter the terrain, but we need to be able to take advantage of Hoth's terrain to conceal our base from orbital sensor arrays such as the ones you would find on an Imperial cruiser.

We're currently looking into a set of shield generators so that we can put up a barrier when Lord Vader comes to call. Those are less likely to be inconspicuous, but if we need to put up the energby shield, our cover is pretty much blown anyway.