main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA Dicussion about meetings

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by utinnigirl, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utinnigirl

utinnigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    I would like to get a jump on this.
    Is holding meetings on the third Tuesday of every month still working for everybody? If not is there any suggestions as to what day the meeting could be moved to? I believe that we have the most attendance when we hold our offical meetings at a restaurant. I am open to any toher ideas though. All of this is open for dicussion. I am very flexible.

Some of us dicussed having other events in addition to our offical meetings for example; this month some of us would really enjoy going to the Star Trek showing and still holding the offical meeting for November at Troy's house(November would be Troy's month from when we all signed up for a month earlier in the year). I believe this is how it was supposed to happen but it never took that form (have an offical meeting on every third Tuesday and have an additional event/ get-together that same month).

Please give me some feedback either by posting in this thread, pm's, or phone calls (if you need my number just send me a pm).

2. JEDIMASTER_VIDAL

JEDIMASTER_VIDAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2007
    yea her name is in blue

3rd tuesday is good for me. i say leave it.

3. JoeRichmondVA

JoeRichmondVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2006
    I think its time to consider a day different from tuesday. I know Joel would like to be involved more with the group and he has a standing conflict on tuesdays. There might be others for whom tues could be a conflict also. I would prefer wed or thur, still the middle of the week. We could always mix it up for a few meetings and as long as its posted well in advance, we could be ok.

4. ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2006
    Third tuesday is fine, but it leaves Joel out of the picture (many jokes come to mind, but all jokes aside) Would any other day work?

It really sucks because we are huge sitcom fans, so mondays are out for us, even though that would be a nice day to start off the work week. It is always a stressful day for me. I hate work...

Tuesday is a great day - nothing going on for me.

Wednesday - some people have church (not sure who in here) - It would actually work for me (and Aimee).

Thursday - Smallville night - but we could go buy a DVR or something if we had to.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday - Always busy for everyone. So no for me.

Now for the get-together and meeting topic. I was under the impression that that is how it was supposed to be when we picked months to take as our own (we were supposed to have a meeting on the 3rd tuesday and a family event 'fun day' the same month.) It ended up turning into a family event in place of a meeting, which brought down membership and interest.

I like the idea of having a get-together whenever for the whole FanForce and family and a adult only meeting on the 3rd Tuesday (unless that changes). Even if we have a family fun event once a quater instead of every month.

5. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Actually no, the idea was that people were saying they were getting tired of meeting at a restaurant, and it was also cost prohibitive to some other members. To counteract this, we decided to do event meetings and have some of them at members houses. Anything else people wanted to do during the month was gravy, and posting it on the board was recommended to get whomever was interested to come join in. Now the tide has turned back the other way again. I'm good either way.

Remember, its not just how many people show up, its how much fun the people who show up have. I had just as much fun at Troys house with 6 people than I did at dinner with 17. That said, I agree that the official meetings should be in a public place to facilitate new members, and home gatherings can be scheduled as wanted.

6. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    I'm sure you didn't, but I wasn't trying to direct it negatively to you Joe. It was just something we tried and didn't quite work, but yeah we had a blast!

7. Shivann_D

Shivann_D Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2006
    Thank you all for thinking of me, Joe and Tony (many jokes come to mind for you as well)[face_monkey] but I wont go into those.
    I would love to be more active all the reindeer games each month, but I still work on Tuesdays and that wont change for a while.
    Wednesdays would be good for me once a month, since there really isnt anything on TV that night. I cant miss Smallville on Thurs or Heroes on Mondays, plus Randy and I try to go to the gym twice a week.
    Are we still planning the holiday party and such?
    Please keep me in the loop so that I can be more active. Thanks

8. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    As a new member I don't know how much input I have in this, but even though it's a ways to drive on a Tuesday evening for me (and Scott, and anyone else who may end up coming from "up north"), for me, it is about the only night of the week that works. The only problem that Tuesdays pose for me is that it's a big homework night for my kids and my wife was beat without me there. But, since it's only once a month, I think she'll be ok with it. I'm one of those that go to church on Wednesday's. My wife and I are youth leaders, so I can't miss. Since I have a DVR, Monday or Thursdays would be ok, but not preferred.

As for the restaurant, meeting at a neutral place was good. If price is a factor, I'm sure there are less expensive places to go. How about a pizza joint? Most people love pizza and a couple people could share the cost of a pie or two.

If the third Tuesday each month doesn't work, how about the second, or first?

9. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    Wow! I knew it was comin'.

So, we have grown some more and we are still lookin' at a new date possibly. [face_thinking]

Wednesday is out for me as well. We have actually managed to get pretty much all of our weekly church activities set on Wednesday so that we have more free time.[face_talk_hand]

TV being an issue... man, all I can say is DVR,TiVo,VCR, whatever. HELLO!!! Besides, there ain't nothing on that is that good.:p

So, I will at this point rehash some of what I have said in the past::rolleyes:

Weekends are loaded with family stuff. We have the summer thing and Holiday thing at my house and like Joe said, what ever other small group type deals we can do are great.(I remember, go-carts and pizza being a hit) Overall though the weekends are out.

Monday is not a bad option, most of the time folks are getting back in to the weekly grind so there isn't much planned. Ok, well one of the kids will be in sports or something but...

Thursday is still out for me. Gotta take care of my Scouts.

Friday. hmmm... Let's see. Kids like to stay up late since they don't have school, weekend trips could play a factor to not being able to come. Oh and don't let me forget, trying to find a place to eat in Richmond area on a Friday night is darn near impossible. I think the Friday thing would flat out bomb. Oh, and I do believe that Joel is busy on Friday nights as well.

So, That's my thoughts. I for one would love it if all of us could make it on the same day. If it needs to change and it falls on a day in which I can't make then I hope that there is still plenty of good times and growth to our group.

edit-typos

10. TGaines1

TGaines1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 2, 2007
    Unfortunately, Teusday is the only good day for me. Monday nights I'm usually loaded with work and making phones calls to my customers. Wednesdays are Girl Scouts and I have to watch the other two while Kim goes to the meetings with the oldest. Thursdays, again usually making calls that night work related and Fri-Sun nights are outta the question.
    I say keep em Teusdays someplace out to eat. I'm open to eating anywhere. I dont mind doing the house thing for pot luck either if ya want. As far as the house thing, it doesnt have to be at my place next month. If you all wanna go out somewhere else thats ok! Besides, I can only take about 10 people anyway.
    As far as extra curricular activities, we should do something extra a season 4 times a year if we wanna see each other more.
    Spring could be go carts, summer for James party, fall maybe a movie night or tour something and winter for James party or maybe sleigh riding later on. There's lotsa options there as we got a year to dwell on it.

11. Julie3

Julie3 Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2006
    I don't really get a vote, just reiterating that Wed and Thurs are out for James. Wednesday being the one we absolutely can not swing. Mondays and Fridays are honestly our best days, Tuesday's are fine, we learned to live with that.

Anyway, I don't really care which day is picked, but since events were also mentioned and someone asked about the Christmas party, I just want to pipe in and say if I'm hosting it again this year, I need a date agreed upon soon! Life may calm down after football ends m-f, but the holidays are our craziest season for weekends. I dunno about the rest of ya'll but we are already booking through the end of the year. I know the first 2 weekends in December are already out. I can work in the 3rd or 4th weekend, but this is your party, so you guys decide when is most convenient for most. And if someone else really wants to take it over, I can live with that too. I don't mind throwing the party, but don't want to be the party hog either. Whatever, just let me know what I'm doing and when.

12. TD6829

TD6829 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2006

After only attending one meeting, I really like the Tuesday "night out" plan.

Jean and I had a great time, and I think since FF is growing pretty fast - that the mentioned earlier meeting in a "neutral place" is a better idea than showing up at someone's home. Special nights (parties, family get-togethers, etc.) are different indeed.

Tuesday nights are the best for us too.

Weekends for the rest of the year are mostly booked up for us too.
    Holidays, Trooping, short weekend hops - how the time goes fast!

I am really hoping to become a more active part of FF, I really like the "getting out" and actually talking face to face with people part. The 501st forums are very active, but its hard to get to each possible event.

Costuming is only one part of Star Wars "fan-dom" so its nice to have this place!

13. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    Aimee how long do you plan to keep this open for discussion? Are we bringing this to a vote - or are you going to keep "score" on what the majority says on here?

14. shabad

shabad Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2006
    I'm fine with any day, I am in favor of the neutral location for the regular meeting.

15. utinnigirl

utinnigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    To give everybody a chance to say what they think this will be open until Sunday afternoon. Then I will just look at what the majority says.

I do not think it is necessary to vote if everybody has already posted what days are best for them.

16. Tetmatek

Tetmatek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Tusday and thursday are the only weekdays open for me. Monday is a possibility.:-B

17. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Tuesdays is really best for me too, just wanted to open the floor on this again and give everyone a chance to speak up.

18. TarnishedFILM

TarnishedFILM Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2007
    Tuesdays wont work for me until next semester but i plan to schedule around it then so i vote to keep Tuesday.

Second, I cant help but mention what i did once before and that is, while it MAY get old i REALLY feel if we could pick a place like a restaurant with some sort of pray room or back room and meet there every month officially.. it will make brining in new members ALOT easer and also it would allow us to develop a good relationship with the managers (or if it was a local place, the owners) and if they can be assured that on the 3rd Tuesday of each month there gonna see us we can probably work out some kind of discount on food or specials (I'm a film producer i can make these kinda deals pretty darn easy as could most of us i'm sure). and I'm sure there are a lot of other benefits we can come up with by having a loyal patronage to a restaurant monthly. even possibly media attention (the line "Local Star Wars Enthusiast group meets monthly at "Eat at joe's" headlines make GREAT human interest pieces) also if it was the same place.. there would be no planing from month to month and we could concentrate planning on the other family event.. meetings would just become a sure fire thing.

There's my two cents... actualy.. it's only one cent.. i'm to broke right now to give away two :p

19. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    From the looks of it we are looking at Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday.

Allen, I know, your life is about to completely change but I am sure you have some input.

Paul, how 'bout a chime in here. I know there are certain evenings that don't work for you.

Joel, What say you? Tuesday is Bandito's deal but is there any other days that don't work for you?

History has shown that not everyone can make it every month either so what about a rotation similar to the restaurant deal. We do Tuesday, Monday, Tuesday, Monday... Yes, that throws another factor in to the mix but it would also open up meetings for more folks.

Jason, the set restaurant is not a bad idea but there is the location issue. While I am all for it being at Penny Lane Pub or something downtown not everyone will go for that. Then there is the Spotsy factor. Should we be looking at a place up in Glen Allen or Ashland? Great idea for sure, I would just be concerned that there may be even more disagreement.

Bottom line is still the same. We all just like to get together and shoot the bull. There is not a major need for politics, regulations, and any kind of extreme organization. We are all adults (ok, well maybe not Tony but we cut him slack), and are able to have a nice group that is organic and healthy.

20. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    Jason your idea sounds nice at first, but then becomes the issue of "where".

We have people all spread out, while a lot of us are located in the Southside, you would think it would be fair to make the meetings in the Southside...but it's not fair to all. What works for some, may not work for everyone else.

I like that we had a restuarant rotation - each time was a different location in a different part of Richmond or Greater Richmond area. But we were always trying to figure out the next location a week or so before the next meeting.

I think we should look at setting up a rotation that is decided upon and then sticky it up in one post on the boards - so everyone know when and where.

Keeps the guess work out.

For example:

January 15th - Banditos (Richmond city)
    February 19th - A N.Y. Slice (Southside)
    March 18th - Friendly's (West End)
    April 15th - No idea (Asland)

21. Kmunee

Kmunee Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    The third Tuesday of the month is fine with me. Weekends are not good for me. Thursdays are a possibility, though.

22. shabad

shabad Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2006
    I'm not going back to Asland!

23. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    Down Chewie! :D When did we go to Ashland?

24. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    I am at school and have no Idea what my summer schedule will be like so I will abstain.

25. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    HE'S ALIVE!!!! I thought you hated us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.