main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did an overinflated sense of the Classic Trilogy prevent you from enjoying TFA for its own merits?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DebonaireNerd, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just watched it on blu-ray. Excellent picture quality, looks great on my screen. This is now my third time, even more enjoyable this time around and I think i've realised why. It seems to go back to my thoughts upon the second viewing when I saw it at the cinema.

Once you let the nostalgia of the look and feel of the film along with accepting the millennium falcon, Luke, Han, Chewie, and Leia as simply being a part of the film rather than reprising these iconic roles, the film speaks for itself without needing to compare it or justify it as a particular kind of sequel. It's a well made story, that's all The Force Awakens needed to be in 2015. It's a stepping stone to something bigger. I even managed to pick out some things I didn't notice on the first two viewings.

Mainly, Rey is seen in her home on Baku marking "days" on the wall. Is that to represent her age in weeks or days? Is she counting the number of parts salvaged? One of my criticisms of the film was that things came together too neatly with the presence of the falcon, followed by Han and Chewie. But really, if there were any other ship sitting in the place of the falcon, would I have cared that they just stumbled upon the ship? Absolutely not. I think I initially walked not the film with an overinflated sense of all the "classic" elements and how they should be re-introduced.

Some issues due remain:

- Luke's lightsaber from Bespin

- Rey's force talents (though I don't think Rey is anywhere near as much a "Mary Sue" as many seem to be suggesting)

But in general, I can't help it feel that the more I obsess less over the classic trilogy (not care about it less but instead not allow it to dictate my relationship with the franchise so heavily) the more I am enjoying this film. So for me, the answer to the question posed by this thread is "yes".

Thoughts?

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no.

Krueger likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Not really, no.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, this a baiting thread, and a redundant topic. Plenty of threads to discuss this. Locking.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.