main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin ever make peace with/gain forgiveness from Padme'?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BuriedAlien, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    At the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI, we see Anakin as a Force ghost standing alongside his former Jedi mentors Obi-Wan and Yoda. We know that Anakin has made peace and obtained forgiveness from his old Jedi comrades, but there's still a dangling issue: Padme'. Anakin's parting from Padme' had been so bitter. It somehow seems unresolved if, after joining the Force, Anakin found Padme's spirit and gained her forgiveness and won back her love.

2. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I'm not sure if Jedi who have cheated death are able to communicate with dead non-Jedi...
    I could be wrong though.

3. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Once a non-Force user or Force-user who hasn't learned the ability to cheat death is dead, I'm pretty sure that they stay dead. But because of Padme's last words being that there is still good in Anakin, I think she forgave him. But that being said I would think that Anakin would be in torment knowing he would never again be able to commune with his wife.

4. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Yeah, what might have been has to be pretty much bumming him out for eternity. When he reached the Netherworld of the force, was Yoda like "Rejoice for those that YOU caused to become one with the force...." Perhaps his punishment in a sense is that he is forced to have conciousness FOREVER.....an eternity to dwell on his mistakes.

Carnage

5. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    That may not be true; It is believed that Qui Gon died fully before he became a force ghost.

6. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Qui gon had the force, Padme never did.

7. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I was just making a point by saying that anyone who wasn't a Force-user that hadn't learned Qui-Gon Jinn's knowledge of sprirt retention was pretty much done for.

8. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I agree with you... I'm just saying. Padme will of forgiven Anakin before she died, but Anakin didn't forgive himself.

9. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Actually, Anakin and the other Jedi that "Cheat" death. Do eventually become one with the force. Like Ben did in an EU book. Force Gohst are only and transision, a way to walk the path to death. Everyone dies in SW. It is a part of life DEATH. The Jedi agree with that watch ROTS, Yoda says it himself.

10. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    I think the possible afterlife meeting of Anakin and Padme was never explored because GL probably had little idea at the time about who Luke and Leia's mother was - and inserting her at the end of RotJ would have been awkward, with everyone thinking, 'now who are you?' There would have to have been some mention of her in depth before then.

Since everyone is a part of the Force, I think that dead non-Force users have an afterlife too. It's just that we see only Force-ghosts because the focus at the end of RotJ is to show Anakin reinstated as a Jedi in the afterlife.

11. Evil-Anakin

Evil-Anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    I have always wondered the same thing?

12. invader_jenny

invader_jenny Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    Wow. Sucks to be Vader. Ha ha.

13. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I don't think he ever made peace as in he postumously told her he was sorry, he probably just learned to accept what he had done which was one reason why he was able to come back as a force ghost

14. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    After watching all 6 films, it appears that Luke is very much a part of his mother, Padme, and because Luke forgave Anakin and they we're at peace before his death on DS II, in a way, Anakin and Padme we're at peace as well ... for Anakin, Luke is part of Padme and Shmi and himself, that lives on into the OT ...

15. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I personally believe that non-Force users can communicate with Force users in their afterlife, but that only Force users can communicate/ be seen by the living.

16. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I agree with that.
    Luke is a lot like Padme, with the unconditional love and the belief that Anakin was still good. So I think through Luke, he gained Padme's forgiveness.
    Although I also agree that Padme's dying words were evidence that she had forgiven him too.

17. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    In my humble opinion one does not need to see or make up with loved ones who have died to be redeemed in their eyes. His last words in ROTS show how much he cared for her, and when Padme died she definitely still saw that he was a good person no matter how tainted he had become. She died with that hope, and Anakin honored her belief by taking the Emporer to school in a single gesture. Whether he ever made peace with himself for having, as he believed to be such, killed her remains a much more lurid and hazy subject.

18. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think in terms of the saga, all sentient beings that die are transformed into the force; like Yoda sais. This means that all beings are interconnected to one another in the nether world. So Padme is there with Anakin and everyone else who lived in the galaxy before them. She can sense his thoughts and he hers. It's like a melding of the minds.

The thing about retaining one's identity is that it is the key to communing with those still living. Anakin had this power, but it doesn't mean Anakin couldn't commune with Padme; only that the living could not.

That's my personal theory on the matter which feels for me a lot less bleak, than the idea of floating around as a ghost, neither living nor dead and confined to speaking with only those who can feel your presence. It's a more liberated concept than if it was the other way around and those who die, just die and become nothing.

Considering that Padme knew there was still good in Vader and expressed that with her dying breath, I would say in her mind there is nothing to forgive and that she always accepted him as one who lost his way but not fully evil; she thinks the same way Luke does.

19. Lolkje

Lolkje Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Ditto. I think Force users retain their ability to interact with the Living Force (AKA the living world) when they die. I also think that, contrary to popular EU interpretation of death and the Force, that you don't necessarily lose your identity when you become one with the Force. Perhaps bad people lose their identities, but not good people. I have always imagined Padme's spirit looking over Luke's shoulder at the end of RotJ (even before the prequels came out), waiting for Anakin to cross over so she can tell him she forgives him.

20. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    YYZ-2112, I like this theory. It brings warm feeling to my heart.

"Obi-Wan...there is good in him. I know...I know there is...still..." Padmé Skywalker

By making this statment, Padmé is not only leaving Obi-Wan a message for him to consider as he watches over her son, she is absolving Anakin of any blame for his actions in her death. Padmé remains loyal to her husband.

21. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    As Lucas tells us, the Force is split into two sides - the Living Force, which is the physical manifestation of the Force in the Universe, and the Cosmic Force, which is the 'spirit' of the Force.

Retaining identity enables one to be present in the physical universe, whilst still being a part of the 'spirit' of the Force.

Those that are unable to retain their identities still become a part of the 'spirit' of the Force.
    As Yoda states in ROTS - they transform into the Force.

So I am sure that in the endless, timeless realms of eternity, Anakin and Padme are one.

-JR :)

22. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    So far we've only seen Jedi take the form of ghosts that can communicate with the living. Whether the dead can communicate with each other is another issue, one which the films never addressed. Telling a living person they can't talk to somone close to them because they're dead is one thing. Try telling a dead person, "Sorry, Padme's really dead."

23. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    It'd be nice to think that, such a tragedy :_|

24. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    What an athiest look on things.:p If you're not a Jedi and die, you blink out of existence? No. I doubt it. In a spirtual universe like Star Wars, I don't think its over like that. I think only CERTAIN Jedi, as established by episode III, can return to the world of the living, but when they "cross over" they join with all of those who died. Even if some people don't use the Force, does not mean the Force is not with them does it? No. I don't know if its an afterlife or more of a merging of souls into the Force, but I think there is something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.