main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin ever really know that the Chosen One was supposed to destroy the Sith??

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Sin, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Yes RamRed this is one of those things that I have always thought was quite interesting in the films that we never heard Anakin make any reference in the films to being the Chosen One or anything about the prophecy, but rather that he believed he would become the most powerful Jedi. Was his belief of becoming the most powerful Jedi based on what he knew of the prophecy of the Chosen One and that it was believed he was the one, or just that he desired to become the most powerful Jedi?

Again I guess we could assume his desire to beocme the most powerful was based on the belief that he was the Chosen One, but it is interesting with all the arrogance and pride that Anakin showed that he never made any reference to it or ever said anything about it. We hear all the other main Jedi speak of it to one another, but not Anakin. Hmmmmm......,??

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    For me, it was just another undeveloped PT Plot device. Words and phrases like "Chosen One" and "Bring Balance to the Force" sound cool in Jedi Council scenes, inside transport ships and on the shores of Lava rivers... but there was little weight behind them. It was more or less just words to me. The story didn't revolve around it, in the beginning. I don't care WHAT Lucas says 30 years later. Of all the things that irritate me the most about the PT I think the "Chosen One" rubbish takes the cake for me. I'm not bashing, I'm just saying.

And before anyone goes off, think about it. How can there be a Chosen One when Vader and Anakin originally were two different people? Deifying Vader's origins was not the way to go, IMO. As for why Anakin didn't talk about his Chosen Onbe status, the other kid never would have accepted him if he did. He was already at a disadvantage with his late start, so running around telling everyone to: "Look at me I'm special!" would have only served to further alienate Skywalker from his contemporaries. If I was Skywalker, I would never have even whispered a word of it.

3. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    I never liked the idea of a chosen one and the whole virgin birth thing wasn't called for. IMO he new but as stated already it was just another one of those things thrown in and never followed through.

4. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    It seems to me that the prophecy was well known enough that Qui-Gon didn't hesitate to mention it to Obi-Wan Kenobi, then a Padawan. I didn't get the impression that the prophecy was secret, known only to Council members, it seemed like because Qui-Gon didn't hesitate at all, that it was probably common knowledge around the Jedi Temple. If he is willing to discuss it openly in front of a Padawan, it probably isn't a secret. As such, why wouldn't Anakin have known? In fact, it might even help explain his turn. Knowing he was the Chosen One since age 9, even before he was trained, would probably add a lot of stress, a lot of pressure to him. It would drive him to be better than everyone, but it would also potentially make him crack. Some personalities simply can't hack the pressure, some can. Perhaps Anakin always felt he had to live up to the Jedi ideal of what the Chosen One should be, that the burden to destroy the Sith fell solely on his shoulders, and he didn't know how to carry that burden. Essentially, Anakin, despite his enormous talent, wasn't emotionally strong enough to accept himself as the Chosen One in stride...And that could have been a contributing factor in his straying, like the pressure a preacher's kid has to be good, which usually (not always, but usually) leads them to have a wild side.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yet according to "The New Essential Chronology", it strongly implies that he was born on Tatoone. In the film, it is never said whether he was born there or not. So thus when you go by the film alone, you cannot deny that he isn't born on Tatooine.

But he was not born on Tatooine.

Actually, yeah, it's there. But it's not Genie that says it. It's when Aladdin encourages Jasmine to fly with him on the carpet. I thought it was bunk first. But I could definately hear it. Remember though, that it's not the first time that kind of thing happened with a Disney product. The theatrical poster for "The Little Mermaid".

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Disney is into subliminal programming?
    May G-d grant his grace to those parents who are ignorant of this.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The New Essential Chronology is an in-universe source(written by Voren Na'al) and the databank isn't, so Voren was wrong about Anakin.

Neither was Anakin. Luke also lived on Tatooine far longer than Anakin making him a 'son of the suns' to a far greater extent than Anakin.

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Not one single sliver of "ChosenOne/SunofaGunImhisSon" stuff will polute my OT experience. The PT is fine, but none of that crap was in there before and it don't belong now.

Are you kidding? Good grief!

9. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Time to wax philosophical for just one post . . . .

Most know that Lucas was inspired by world famous mythologist Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces." This inspiration launches the "Journal of the Whills," and 25 years later sprouts the seed for the PT that we are all spending time on these boards discussing. We do so because the entire six film saga is not merely cinema -- it embodies many if not all the elements of Campbell's mythological teachings, becoming what Bill Moyers of PBS fame termed "a modern mono-myth."

Campbell's 'hero' becomes Lucas' 'the chosen one' in the Great Flannel-Shirted One's screen play disseration, fusing galactic sci-fi characters into the core characters of all myth from all cultures over all time.

Campbell maps at least 8 stages for the archetypal hero. They are (according to David Adams Leeming in his book, Mythology: The Voyage of the Hero):

Miraculous conception and birth
    Initiation of the hero-child
    Withdrawal from family or community for meditation and preparation
    Trial and Quest
    Death
    Descent into the underworld
    Resurrection and rebirth
    Ascension, apotheosis, and atonement

Lucas simply returns to his roots in TPM, to Campbell's intellectual inspiration, and embodies Anakin as the mythic 'hero-child,' or 'chosen one.' In an interview with Moyers for Time magazine, Lucas reveals:

""I see Star Wars as taking all the issues that religion represents and trying to distill them down into a more modern and easily accessible construct--that there is a greater mystery out there."

The 'chosen one' fits well within that 'miraculous birth' religious/hero construct that Lucas adapts from Campbell's works. It seems, based upon the 8 stages cited above, that at some point Anakin realized his purpose. As the Subject of this thread asks "Did Anakin ever really know that the Chosen One was supposed to destory the Sith??" . . . . the answer has to be "yes!" This occurs at stages 7 & 8 (above). This, in ROTJ, is when he finally embraces his 'socially ordained' destiny, his 'expected' role, and by doing so becomes "The Chosen One." [see my sig.]

The really, really deep part comes when Campbell and Lucas tell us that "we" are the 'Chosen Ones.' Each of our births are miraculous. Each of us experiences the 8 stages at various times in our lives. And at some point we journey forth, we confront and must conquer our resident evils, resurrect our self-hero status, ascend and atone for our personal failures. This is the scope of human life. We and we alone choose when how we enter each stage. Pretty awesome stuff, eh! :cool:

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That still doesn't change that it is considered an authority piece of canon, regardless of it being written in character or not.

There's no proof that Anakin wasn't born on Tatooine. There is that Luke wasn't. It also doesn't matter how long one lives there.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Voren Na'al's fallibility is a nifty in-universe way to explain mistakes made by the NEC.

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It shouldn't be considered an authority when contradicted by higher sources such as the databank. As Arawn said, they gave it an in-universe author to explain any contradictions as Voren being wrong.

starwars.com outright states it above.

It's a really good idea as no one person will be able to write a book spanning the entire history of the Star Wars galaxy and not make mistakes here and there. :p

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO it's implied by TPM anyway.

There are mistakes and then there are mistakes. Interestingly, the two mistakes I'm thinking of both result from a less-than-satisfactory recall of TPM. [face_thinking]

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I agree but I don't think that would be considered enough in this circumstance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.